4.60 star(s) 56 Votes

el982

Sep 19, 2018
Having 2 issues with current 0.39.3.1 release.

First is game freezing like mentioned by others above and it seems happening when assigning custom uniform to the staff. un-assigning uniform fixes it. No traceback or log, just freeze and then i have to kill it.

Second error was Sister disappearing and when game called her into the screen error occurred

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Maataras1

Nov 16, 2016
I've been trying to help track this down with the modders. The hang bug was happening to me a lot, but very few other people were reporting or could confirm that it happens. Not with Company Uniforms though. For me it was just when trying to draw previews when hovering over the girls in the room list.

Trist (the modder I've been working with) suggested using the option to clean memory "Every Time Slot" instead of "Each Game Day" (in preferences).

Apparently it has a lot to do with how much memory the game has to work with (for Textures I think Trist said).

I have a hack that works but probably only for high memory systems:

game\Mods\Core\Mechanics\Image_Handlers\zip_manager.rpy
Following changes:
Replace line 13:
Code:
            self.max_items = 1000
And then re-enabled the commented out lines at the end of the file:
Code:
    if not config.debug:    # delays reload time (disable while debugging)
        zip_manager.preload()
Still stable at day 49 now.

Trist said that my hack crashes the game on his machine in short order since it runs out of mem, so not a good all around solution. My machine is pretty beefy with 32G ram, so your mileage may vary. His has only 8 (which is normally fine for such things).

So if you have 8 or less gigs or don't want to hack code, try Trist's recommendation:
I've been trying to help track this down with the modders. The hang bug was happening to me a lot, but very few other people were reporting or could confirm that it happens. Not with Company Uniforms though. For me it was just when trying to draw previews when hovering over the girls in the room list.

Trist (the modder I've been working with) suggested using the option to clean memory "Every Time Slot" instead of "Each Game Day" (in preferences).

Apparently it has a lot to do with how much memory the game has to work with (for Textures I think Trist said).

I have a hack that works but probably only for high memory systems:

game\Mods\Core\Mechanics\Image_Handlers\zip_manager.rpy
Following changes:
Replace line 13:
Code:
            self.max_items = 1000
And then re-enabled the commented out lines at the end of the file:
Code:
    if not config.debug:    # delays reload time (disable while debugging)
        zip_manager.preload()
Still stable at day 49 now.

Trist said that my hack crashes the game on his machine in short order since it runs out of mem, so not a good all around solution. My machine is pretty beefy with 32G ram, so your mileage may vary. His has only 8 (which is normally fine for such things).

So if you have 8 or less gigs or don't want to hack code, try Trist's recommendation:
Just got done testing the fixes described. Unfortunately, neither the hack nor changing the cache settings worked. Thank you for responding, though.

zenupstart

Jul 21, 2020
Just got done testing the fixes described. Unfortunately, neither the hack nor changing the cache settings worked. Thank you for responding, though.
Sorry to hear that these measures were not helpful for you.

This is a particularly tricky one.

Seems to behave differently on different machines, and rarely gives a stack trace.

Am forwarding these reports to Trist as we try to isolate the problem and remedy.

Zadon

Aug 30, 2016
I may have missed this issue someplace in the forum But i have been getting this error when loading the game after applying the mod and bugfix.

Code:
[code]
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/Mods/Core/Mechanics/Image_Handlers/extra_character_images.rpy", line 9, in script
    init 2 python:
  File "game/Mods/Core/Mechanics/Image_Handlers/extra_character_images.rpy", line 11, in <module>
    mobile_zip_dict["character_images"] = zipfile.ZipFile(renpy.file(get_file_handle("character_images.zip")), "r") #Cache all of the zip files so we have a single static pointer to them.
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/Mods/Core/Mechanics/Image_Handlers/extra_character_images.rpy", line 9, in script
    init 2 python:
  File "C:\Lab_Rats_2-v0.39.3-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 927, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Lab_Rats_2-v0.39.3-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/Mods/Core/Mechanics/Image_Handlers/extra_character_images.rpy", line 11, in <module>
    mobile_zip_dict["character_images"] = zipfile.ZipFile(renpy.file(get_file_handle("character_images.zip")), "r") #Cache all of the zip files so we have a single static pointer to them.
  File "C:\Lab_Rats_2-v0.39.3-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 2255, in file
    return renpy.loader.load(fn)
  File "C:\Lab_Rats_2-v0.39.3-pc\renpy\loader.py", line 566, in load
    if renpy.config.reject_backslash and "\\" in name:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Lab Rats 2 - Down to Business v0.39.3.1
Thu Apr 22 20:44:00 2021
[/CODE]

InfinityzeN

Oct 29, 2016
That was one of the other changes I made on my current play through. I also have 32GB of ram, the same as you. The issue with the game freezing has been popping up still, though now only once every hour or two of play time rather than every few minutes like it was before I started commenting.

It is understandable the hard freeze being difficult to fix since it does not provide any error trace and seems to be fairly inconsistent in what causes it. I wish I had thought to keep some of my old saves, where the freeze was easy to reproduce within a few clicks of the save.

I can say with certainty that rapidly clicking or holding the skip button through some dialogs causes the freeze for me. If I click on the "Employ" option for someone, then press the skip button it will freeze every time.

shiion1

Mar 1, 2017
So was the Animation ON/OFF removed by the mod? (in the preferences menu) I dont see it anymore..
Its there in vanilla. I know its a buggy stuff but is there a way to get it "on" again?

Tristim

Modder
Donor
Nov 12, 2018
So was the Animation ON/OFF removed by the mod? (in the preferences menu) I dont see it anymore..
Its there in vanilla. I know its a buggy stuff but is there a way to get it "on" again?
The animation code is completely deactivated by the mod, if you want to play with animations, just use the bugfix and don't install the mod.

JSF2

Jun 1, 2017
It is understandable the hard freeze being difficult to fix since it does not provide any error trace and seems to be fairly inconsistent in what causes it. I wish I had thought to keep some of my old saves, where the freeze was easy to reproduce within a few clicks of the save.
Actually, I have a game save that has the freeze after EVERY kind of action you do next (unless I disable uniforms).

I used the latest full download here and did some non-exotic console commands (hours earlier).

This game save is based on another older game save that preceded another play where I encountered a freeze regardless of what I did.

Last edited:

Tristim

Modder
Donor
Nov 12, 2018
Actually, I have a game save that has the freeze after EVERY kind of action you do next (unless I disable uniforms).

I used the latest full download here and did some non-exotic console commands (hours earlier).

This game save is based on another older game save that preceded another play where I encountered a freeze regardless of what I did.
I tried this save with the latest code (0.39.3.2) and it does not lockup, I moved along the day and moved to different locations, so I suggest you updated your code.

Reactions: Metalmania

Burt

Ignoring Social Media
Dec 14, 2016
All true, but you also have to respect the feelings and potential misinterpretations of meaning, especially as we coders tend to be direct and generally insensitive, plus many people like me do not speak English natively assuming you do of course. That said, I would like to thank again, all the people who work on this mod, and those who choose to help in this tread, and discord with bugging.

Burt

Ignoring Social Media
Dec 14, 2016
It isn't about getting personal nor a put down on the mod.
I'll reword it for you. The smart programming practice to prevent issues such as improperly called functions is to use a script or linter to catch those types errors there is no good excuse for them existing. Means the same thing. The problem in this case is with yourself in that you seen the words smart and instantly jumped to the conclusion in your mind it was calling you stupid. Not just that it was about being smart in the future not regarding past actions. " If they are smart they will create a script to test if all the related functions the mod relies on with the base system are still the same the call and return system as they expect. That way any conflicts like this can be caught simply by running a script." It doesn't say, "if they were smart they would have created..."
That statement applies to any software developer. Some editors/IDEs have tools built in some have add-ons called linters that do it. However, you can write a python script in short order that will catch these types of issues. So even you used windows edit these types of errors should never make it to production. It takes about 1 second to catch those errors in all the scripts you have combined.

As for the reasons you do it I know those. I did say it has some advantages.
What happens if two different mods over write the same label does it simply give an error or default to the last one loaded?
There are two primary ways I can see such issues being resolved have away to turn on and off mods or have an agreement between developers off it as to which mod handles what.
All true, but you also have to respect the feelings and potential misinterpretations of meaning, especially as we coders tend to be direct and generally insensitive, plus many people like me do not speak English natively assuming you do of course. That said, I would like to thank again, all the people who work on this mod, and those who choose to help in this thread, and discord with bugging.
Ps. the above post by me is the servers fault :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Diconica

el982

Sep 19, 2018
Downloaded 0.39.3.2 and it fixed my previous problems. However got a new one now (i am able to ignore it tho and continue with the game)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

lolotech

Oct 7, 2018
[Shift]+[G]
Renderer = Force Angle/Directx Render or
Powersave to Disabled
seemed to have stop the game crash for me, at least.

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
I just want to bring to your attention, Vren is working on some testing framework for 0.40, maybe it's just best to write off 0.39 as a loss and wait for the next one?

4.60 star(s) 56 Votes