4.60 star(s) 56 Votes

eldoen

Jun 30, 2021
The problem of course, is that he's reliant on his patreon funds now. And if he spent the 2-3 months needed to go back through all the code and fix/sort it out to be easier to work with, update, and mod, he'd probably lose 75% of his patrons due to impatience.
I would think putting buggy crap every month, relying on the community to resolve issues, or spell check, would be a bigger issue. but people have hung on thru that, I like the game and he releases the source code even sent a large spell check dump to his patreon.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
Well I got the issues I found fixed. This is for 49.1 & 49.2

Read the install directions
Basically I deleted the conflicting code from Business.rpy. Took care of everything in create_random_person().

It fixes the issues with age conflicts and other conflicts in the business policies.
So those should work now.

The fixes Vren put in for those issues in 49.2 didn't fix shit. All he did was check to see if the age ceiling was low than the floor then set floor to ceiling.

He had stuff like increasing the age of people by 10 years inside the Business.rpy higher stats and skills were chosen in the business policy. To which he randomly selected an age and assigned it. Thus preventing anything like the teen or old age ones from working at all.

He has stupid shit like if you selected increased sex skills they would have increased skills all over and the other way around.
I created a separate skill cap for sex.

The age system is now a combination system. It uses a weighted table that is adjusted depending on what you have selected.
The stat and skill system are even better tied together now and make use of the increasing skill and stat caps.

I'm not going to say this fixes every issue. Pretty sure it doesn't feel free to let me know any others related to this area you spot and how to duplicate them.
will test it out and see if it works properly now. do i have to restart all over again or can i port my save over?

Reactions: Sick&Alone

eldoen

Jun 30, 2021
OK, I give up, I assume there must be a bug in the code somewhere. The conditions for the Nanobots seem to be where the number of days is > 40 and the research tier is >=2. I am both. The head researcher is meant to get the scenario assigned and doesn't. Anyone else having an issue with this scenario starting?
thought days were 120 now, but dug in the code, so is 40, was working, any cheats applied, sp can duplicate conditions??

Last edited:

Sick&Alone

Aug 30, 2020
I'd thought about trying to do some small mods to the game myself, but I started browsing through the code and my brain just shut off.

Absolutely love that he's doing the game. But it really is a standout example for CS students to learn from about sloppy coding.

The problem of course, is that he's reliant on his patreon funds now. And if he spent the 2-3 months needed to go back through all the code and fix/sort it out to be easier to work with, update, and mod, he'd probably lose 75% of his patrons due to impatience.

So all he can do is keep moving forward, getting the tangled messed more and more knotted up.
The only way 2 fix such things w a sys like Patreon, is to *TOTALLY* stop supporting really bad Devs until they fix their crap! Otherwise, basic greed says they'll keep putting out more & more *CRAP* as long as the money keeps coming! $$$ is the only thing most people listen to.
Sad but true.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
will test it out and see if it works properly now. do i have to restart all over again or can i port my save over?
From what I tested you only need to change when Vren updates his. If I am just making a bug fix usually it doesn't require a restart.

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Main Mod /beta I think you are referring to, is still at 46. and on discord saying next will not be based on 48

Diconica's mod works on 49.2
Wait, they're skipping .48? So are they just going to jump straight from .46 to .50? Honestly, I wish there was a way for them to make the mod work through updates. I don't play every update, but it kinda sucks they have to update the mod each time the game is updated. But I get that Vren adds/changes so much random shit between versions that it's kinda necessary.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Wait, they're skipping .48? So are they just going to jump straight from .46 to .50? Honestly, I wish there was a way for them to make the mod work through updates. I don't play every update, but it kinda sucks they have to update the mod each time the game is updated. But I get that Vren adds/changes so much random shit between versions that it's kinda necessary.
Technically they could.
They could do the same thing I do and use to see the differences in different versions and what the difference is with their mod installed and or the previous version with the mod installed. From that it becomes nothing more than using the tool to merge which ever direction they need to do.
Then they compare the new version to the base version and copy just those files out that are different.

The first thing they need to do before doing that though is. Go to every file in their mod and bug fix and change the line endings all to "\r\n" other wise every single file is going to show it is different. It's real easy to fix this issue using it can change that type of thing in every file in every directory and they can specify just to search rpy files.

The only real issue is when there are a lot of bugs on Vren's part like this last update. If they want to know where all those problems are they could download my mod compare it to the base using the winmerge mentioned above and thus find out where most those are. How they choose to deal with them is up to them but at least they wouldn't have to find them by playing it.

eldoen

Jun 30, 2021
I am not committing to anything, but Real Life responsibilities affected the release of 48, then an illness, will say that Github, for bug fix has updated master to 49.1 and then 49.2, and discord has been saying that 49 was going to be next release

eldoen

Jun 30, 2021
Technically they could.
They could do the same thing I do and use to see the differences in different versions and what the difference is with their mod installed and or the previous version with the mod installed. From that it becomes nothing more than using the tool to merge which ever direction they need to do.
Then they compare the new version to the base version and copy just those files out that are different.

The first thing they need to do before doing that though is. Go to every file in their mod and bug fix and change the line endings all to "\r\n" other wise every single file is going to show it is different. It's real easy to fix this issue using it can change that type of thing in every file in every directory and they can specify just to search rpy files.

The only real issue is when there are a lot of bugs on Vren's part like this last update. If they want to know where all those problems are they could download my mod compare it to the base using the winmerge mentioned above and thus find out where most those are. How they choose to deal with them is up to them but at least they wouldn't have to find them by playing it.
having done a full completed bugfix merge, with the help of another community member, of 48.1 it is 48 files. the 5 files were where the biggest and most confusing changes were, and where bugfix and vanilla had the biggest divergence,

I did this merge with playing with python for about 12 months, and the code base. I am sure Trist does it much faster with better results.

how I made the zip file is exactly what you described here although I dropped all the rpyc files that showed up.

Reactions: Ssato243

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
From what I tested you only need to change when Vren updates his. If I am just making a bug fix usually it doesn't require a restart.
got something for ya.
got an idea why i get that error? it happened after fooling around with sis.

gotta say though, i played on with the 49.1 save on the newer 49.2 version (with your mod on now). might that be the cause for it?

Elpescador

Jul 11, 2017
Main Mod /beta I think you are referring to, is still at 46. and on discord saying next will not be based on 48

Diconica's mod works on 49.2
That's disappointing, been my experience that when devs start missing releases the project has crested the hill toward abandonment. Granted this is free product and nobody really has a right to complain but I really hope this isn't the case.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
got something for ya.
got an idea why i get that error? it happened after fooling around with sis.

gotta say though, i played on with the 49.1 save on the newer 49.2 version (with your mod on now). might that be the cause for it?
I took a look. Honestly, it shouldn't get to that state no matter what.
I went ahead and put a check in the if statement above it to make sure slots > 1
that would be on line 98. I went ahead and made the change in the mod online if you want to download it or you can just download the file itself from

There shouldn't be that much changes in 49.1 to 49.2 I'm doing the same thing with no issues for testing.
But I'm using the 49.1 modded version saved files. Still shouldn't be enough of an issue. I don't have any issue.
In fact I can start the base 49.1 game with no mod and load the modded saved files from mine with no issue.
between the two versions.

Reactions: Daxter250

Edwarf

Jun 8, 2017
That's disappointing, been my experience that when devs start missing releases the project has crested the hill toward abandonment. Granted this is free product and nobody really has a right to complain but I really hope this isn't the case.
I was bored having to start all over again every time a version was released to get very few new content and/or added features, so I found releasing every two versions the right way to go.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
I took a look. Honestly, it shouldn't get to that state no matter what.
I went ahead and put a check in the if statement above it to make sure slots > 1
that would be on line 98. I went ahead and made the change in the mod online if you want to download it or you can just download the file itself from

There shouldn't be that much changes in 49.1 to 49.2 I'm doing the same thing with no issues for testing.
But I'm using the 49.1 modded version saved files. Still shouldn't be enough of an issue. I don't have any issue.
In fact I can start the base 49.1 game with no mod and load the modded saved files from mine with no issue.
between the two versions.
welcome to vrens game xD. that shit always has some broken code i guess. i downloaded and replaced the old file. lets see if it will happen again.

btw. got another error for you :BootyTime:. dunno if they are the same, i did compare both of them and they look different.
this time it just happened when i was ending a day.

4.60 star(s) 56 Votes