ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
I can only see a memory.log file but not a log or traceback. how do I check if the folder has write access?
also I do not get any message when it crashes
Unfortunately, the memory.txt file isn't helpful. It isnt generated when the game is run, the file in the directory is a leftover from Vren's release. It was likely generated by the SDK when the client was compiled and shipped with the release. Notice the date and version in the file (Aug 24 and v19.1)

Do you have any issues running any other Ren'py games? Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? For the game to crash without a log could indicate a problem with write access to the directory, or a problem with the renpy compiler. If its a problem with write access, try launching the game as administrator (right click Lab_Rat2_2.exe, Run as administrator).

Also, as a rule, I never install my games inside the Program Files or Program Files (x86) because window's UAC security for those directories is a PITA.

Long Live C:\GAMES !

Reactions: partanen

ZenGarden

Oct 1, 2017
I can only see a memory.log file but not a log or traceback. how do I check if the folder has write access?
also I do not get any message when it crashes
stevedavecraig Start with Paradigm's two suggestions ( 1) run as admin; 2) create a separate folder ) as long as you are on winblows.

ParadigmShift Yeah, you're right about memory.txt (couple too many lagers last night). But we did learn it's a permission thing (no log == no write-access).

stevedavecraig

Sep 8, 2017
Unfortunately, the memory.txt file isn't helpful. It isnt generated when the game is run, the file in the directory is a leftover from Vren's release. It was likely generated by the SDK when the client was compiled and shipped with the release. Notice the date and version in the file (Aug 24 and v19.1)

Do you have any issues running any other Ren'py games? Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? For the game to crash without a log could indicate a problem with write access to the directory, or a problem with the renpy compiler. If its a problem with write access, try launching the game as administrator (right click Lab_Rat2_2.exe, Run as administrator).

Also, as a rule, I never install my games inside the Program Files or Program Files (x86) because window's UAC security for those directories is a PITA.

Long Live C:\GAMES !
I do not have this problem with other ren'py games. i tried runing as an admin but the result is the same.

when you say install do you mean unpack? i have not had one of those install-processes poping up when i try to play it.
i have tried re-downloading the game incase it was a file corruption error but nothing changed.

btw I have got it unpacked straight in my downloads directory. that hasn't been a problem to any other games so it shoouldn''t be one now, right?

*Edit: obviusly in its own folder

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
I do not have this problem with other ren'py games. i tried runing as an admin but the result is the same.

when you say install do you mean unpack? i have not had one of those install-processes poping up when i try to play it.
i have tried re-downloading the game incase it was a file corruption error but nothing changed.

btw I have got it unpacked straight in my downloads directory. that hasn't been a problem to any other games so it shoouldn''t be one now, right?

*Edit: obviusly in its own folder
You are correct, there is no "installing" neccessary with LR2. I was just saying that as a generality.

1) If launching as admin isnt working ( downloads folder is usually fine for write access );
2) and you've redownloaded and unpacked it again to verify it isnt file corruption;
3) and you don't have issues with other renpy games (ruling out any missing prereq system files);

then without a log to give more of an idea where the point-of-failure is, the only other suggest I have is trying launching the game while holding the shift key while it launches. This should bring up a buried "default" renpy options menu (after the preloader "Please Wait" image). It halts the loading process right before renpy initializes the renderer. Normally Renpy defaults to OpenGL 2.0 for its render engine, but in rare cases of graphics card / driver combinations, something gets borked in the OpenGL 2.0 render support. You can try forcing DirectX or Software renderer and see if that helps at all. Select one of those options, quit, and try relaunching again normally.

Last person that had renderer issues with LR2 had a log showing a driver failure during render init, but without a log this is a shot in the dark.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. Even if the renderer was the point-of-failure, there'd still be log.txt for renpy doing all its initialization, so for there to be NO log is....unusual. Renpy is usually pretty good at just....working. Out-of-the-box. For everyone.

I guess a last ditch idea would be to download the renpy SDK ( ) and tossing the unpacked game directory into there (whole directory, as its own folder within the SDK directory) , and launching it as a project. But that's a Hail Mary play, highly unlikely (like 0.00.......01%) that it would make a difference.

Side tangent: You can use the Renpy SDK to build your own distributions of games. Want a Mac Version? Android? iOS? Build your own!

stevedavecraig

Sep 8, 2017
You are correct, there is no "installing" neccessary with LR2. I was just saying that as a generality.

1) If launching as admin isnt working ( downloads folder is usually fine for write access );
2) and you've redownloaded and unpacked it again to verify it isnt file corruption;
3) and you don't have issues with other renpy games (ruling out any missing prereq system files);

then without a log to give more of an idea where the point-of-failure is, the only other suggest I have is trying launching the game while holding the shift key while it launches. This should bring up a buried "default" renpy options menu (after the preloader "Please Wait" image). It halts the loading process right before renpy initializes the renderer. Normally Renpy defaults to OpenGL 2.0 for its render engine, but in rare cases of graphics card / driver combinations, something gets borked in the OpenGL 2.0 render support. You can try forcing DirectX or Software renderer and see if that helps at all. Select one of those options, quit, and try relaunching again normally.

Last person that had renderer issues with LR2 had a log showing a driver failure during render init, but without a log this is a shot in the dark.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. Even if the renderer was the point-of-failure, there'd still be log.txt for renpy doing all its initialization, so for there to be NO log is....unusual. Renpy is usually pretty good at just....working. Out-of-the-box. For everyone.

I guess a last ditch idea would be to download the renpy SDK ( ) and tossing the unpacked game directory into there (whole directory, as its own folder within the SDK directory) , and launching it as a project. But that's a Hail Mary play, highly unlikely (like 0.00.......01%) that it would make a difference.

Side tangent: You can use the Renpy SDK to build your own distributions of games. Want a Mac Version? Android? iOS? Build your own!
Yeah, it's still not working. i've tried everything you recomended so i think i'll call it quits.
Thanks for your help anyway, I appresiated it.

ParadigmShift

Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, it's still not working. i've tried everything you recomended so i think i'll call it quits.
Thanks for your help anyway, I appresiated it.
Without a log to give an idea where its failing, not much to go on. Sorry I couldn't get it working for you. Maybe someone else has some ideas....?

fregreger

Apr 28, 2018
I was wondering - are any of the girls you meet in this game virgins? That seems to be a common feature of nearly all RNG management type games I played thus far.

KEKBUR

Sep 15, 2016
I was wondering - are any of the girls you meet in this game virgins? That seems to be a common feature of nearly all RNG management type games I played thus far.
Well there are no ingame values for keeping track of it. Most of the women in the game are also too old for that to really make sense maybe except for the sister and cousin.

irezawa

Nov 4, 2017
Oh man. The new version is out.

I just rediscovered this game about a week ago. I'm a huge fan of the first Lab Rats and was initially thrilled about there being a sequel, but... It's understandable for a game to not be too fun at it's early stage, but to me it didn't even seem to show much potential. But last week, can't remember why, I picked up the latest version and it blew me away. Loads of content and potential for growth, and it's so customisable! I got so excited about the sandbox environment that for the first time in years I found myself writing code. For the last few days, instead of actually playing anything, I've gone through script files to see what I could fix, add and improve. There's so much potential!

...And there's my problem. A positive one though, and entirely personal. But, this is an internet forum so I'm gonna bug you anyways. Now a new version is out and with it comes a reminder that this is a project that goes on at it's own direction. Because I've twiddled with the code so much, I can't just grab a new version and use it with my own stuff. I'm gonna have to spend days going through the code and see what's changed and how to apply my own fixes and additions. And I'm going to face this problem every time there's a new version. Oh well. But hey, it's a great game and I'm having tons of fun with it, even when I'm not playing!

I really should start adding notes to stuff I've written.

Reactions: Yakis0ba

Trollden

Aug 8, 2017
Just throwing out a possible fix for those who will get errors in their previous saves on version 0.22.0 when talking to someone e.g girlfriend_role is not defined.
Just throw it into the game folder and reload the game if that is the case for you.
Haven't encountered anything else save breaking so far.

Yakis0ba

Aug 7, 2017
Oh man. The new version is out.

I just rediscovered this game about a week ago. I'm a huge fan of the first Lab Rats and was initially thrilled about there being a sequel, but... It's understandable for a game to not be too fun at it's early stage, but to me it didn't even seem to show much potential. But last week, can't remember why, I picked up the latest version and it blew me away. Loads of content and potential for growth, and it's so customisable! I got so excited about the sandbox environment that for the first time in years I found myself writing code. For the last few days, instead of actually playing anything, I've gone through script files to see what I could fix, add and improve. There's so much potential!

...And there's my problem. A positive one though, and entirely personal. But, this is an internet forum so I'm gonna bug you anyways. Now a new version is out and with it comes a reminder that this is a project that goes on at it's own direction. Because I've twiddled with the code so much, I can't just grab a new version and use it with my own stuff. I'm gonna have to spend days going through the code and see what's changed and how to apply my own fixes and additions. And I'm going to face this problem every time there's a new version. Oh well. But hey, it's a great game and I'm having tons of fun with it, even when I'm not playing!

I really should start adding notes to stuff I've written.
Do you use a program like WinMerge? Because that can REALLY help. [If you already are, disregard this.]

Reactions: srksrk 68

irezawa

Nov 4, 2017
Do you use a program like WinMerge? Because that can REALLY help. [If you already are, disregard this.]
Nah, I'm too old school and been away from coding for too long to having ever even heard of something like that. I'm using Notepad. For C64-generation that's hi-tech! :D

Reactions: Brololol

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Nah, I'm too old school and been away from coding for too long to having ever even heard of something like that. I'm using Notepad. For C64-generation that's hi-tech! :D
Use WinMerge. Seriously.

irezawa

Nov 4, 2017
Use WinMerge. Seriously.

Oh yeah, I most definitely will. It looks like something I was praying for back in the stone ages. I just meant that I've been away from all kinds of programming for so long that I'm completely unaware of any tools people use these days. When I said Notepad is hi-tech for me, believe it or not, I wasn't kidding.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Oh yeah, I most definitely will. It looks like something I was praying for back in the stone ages. I just meant that I've been away from all kinds of programming for so long that I'm completely unaware of any tools people use these days. When I said Notepad is hi-tech for me, believe it or not, I wasn't kidding.
And, as seriously, use Notepad++ ;)

3.40 star(s) 127 Votes