LZ_Starbuck

Mar 25, 2019
Last time I played this was about 6 months ago, is it still overwrought with frivolous things to do to get to the content? I love Lab Rats, and LR2 took all the things that were fun in Lab Rats and hid them behind hours of pointless business simulation bullshit. Have they trimmed it down any?
The story is still coming along, but it has gotten better about the early game being more diverse in the last six months. It also looks like the sex system is getting a revamp for the next version, due out in a week or so, that may make the early game more interesting!

LZ_Starbuck

Mar 25, 2019
x) Yeah still cant figure it out myself haha
Okay I poked around in the code, and there is currently a typo that will keep the event from triggering. Roughly line 74 of cousin_role.rpy need to be change from...

Code:
def cousin_boobjob_ask_requirement(start_day, the_person):
to

Code:
def cousin_boobjob_ask_requirement(the_person, start_day):
The order of arguments for the requirement function matters, because as is the requirement will always return false when comparing the day to a person object.

Tristim this might be a good thing to fix in the bugfix mod.

shinonen

Dec 13, 2016
Dumb question. Is there a way to fire girls? I cant seem to find a way to.
After you've had them for a little while, you'll have the option to give them a performance review. You can fire them there.

Fun fact, if you tell them you're not happy with their work and want to dock their pay, they get PISSED at you. But, if you tell them you're not happy and want to fire them, they volunteer for a paycut (assuming they're not slutty). If you agree, they actually become significantly happier and more obedient. (If they're too slutty, they offer to let you use them sexually for not firing them).

elhombre

Jun 6, 2017
Tristim this might be a good thing to fix in the bugfix mod.
There is also bug when you've advanced a relationship to girlfriend and you want to breakup , (NOT modded game),
if you press on "breakup" then you've just created another relationship and another "breakup" button appears... to infinite.
..so you can never end ur relationship with girl.

..since rel's are pretty new feat .. bah.. wait for bug resolve in newer version.

Ghostly Hale

Jan 26, 2018
Very different and not developed enough to fully give you an opinion
Just tell the man the truth. This is worst by far. Not even being mean.
The art needs work.
If this is a pick up from the end of LR1 it's not. (What the fuck happened there Dev? Was it a pick up? If not don't call it Lab Rats 2)
It's grindy as fuck.
Models don't resemble the characters. (What the fuck Dev?)
So just don't. Don't even download the game. Just stuck to Lab Rats and pretend this doesn't exist.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
The art needs work.
If this is a pick up from the end of LR1 it's not. (What the fuck happened there Dev? Was it a pick up? If not don't call it Lab Rats 2)
It's grindy as fuck.
So just don't. Don't even download the game. Just stuck to Lab Rats and pretend this doesn't exist.
You can have your opinion, but I find LR2 fun meanwhile. If you call it grindy then you simply do not understand the mechanics (took me a while, too, but if you get it it's far from grindy). Models could be nicer, but there is a variety of them, and I personally find the prettier ones quite, well, pretty. They all look kind of the same, but that comes from the engine used I guess.

I agree that Nora, Mom, Sis, Stephanie and Alexia could look a bit more like the originals. Maybe he could have used photoshop to put the old heads on them. But since the game is far from finished, I am pretty sure he will still be doing something about that.

For the new release he speaks about adding pubics and more hairstyles, and the sex system will get an overhaul, so I am looking forward to it.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
The art needs work.
It's grindy as fuck.
There is expectation and there is reality. You obviously expected it to be a pick-up - the reality is it isnt mechanics wise but story wise. Telling otherwise is neither true nor helpful.

The good thing about taste and opinion is that there is no truth in either of it. Opinions matter but they should also be stated as such.
Fact is Lab Rats 1 was a fuckfest of randomness mechanic wise. Vren eliminated that totally in Lab Rats 2 by establishing well defined mechanics - even if some of them are still work in progress and sometimes still bug out of the intended result.

Optics are basically a matter of taste and opinion. Same goes for politics and religion - which is why they are usually banned topics unless you want to stir up some meaningless fights that lead to no result other than misery and disagreement. Based on the models available and the technical abilities of the engine providing them, Vren actually managed to create a big variety of characters without the need to tweak each of them by hand. Which in turn lead to a bigger variety of side characters than most other games are capable of using the same engine.

Lab Rats 1 was basically an extended Novel where Lab Rats 2 is actually a full sized game.

• Love
Reactions: shinonen

Yolda

Jul 30, 2018
Althou I realy like the idea and mechanics of this game, but I can't manage the happines of my employes at all.
They all quit a few days after hireing them.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Althou I realy like the idea and mechanics of this game, but I can't manage the happines of my employes at all.
Don't let them do/wear things they don't like. Later in the game make a serum that boosts happiness and set that as daily dose, and you will never have trouble again. My employees all have happiness around 1,000 in average.

Biggest problem is Stephanie, who as it appears normally is loosing happiness at a slow but steady rate, which is a problem in early game if you don't want her to quit. You can pay her special attention by talking to her daily, or you do it like I did: Make a save just before she joins the company and one just after, then fast-skip a couple of days (just wait and sleep) and check her happiness and see if it decreases rapidly. If yes, load your first save (thus resetting the random generator) and try again, until you found a Stephanie who will stay happy enough.

You could do this with your other employees as well, but I think it might not be worth the effort. You should always save right before you open the employee hiring dialog and see if everything goes well after. If it's too bad, you can load again, or just let her quit.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
That part is actually one of your daily/general goals to fulfil in Lab Rats 2.
There are various ways to solve this with the help of the provided mechanics.
You can either
  • use the personal interactions like small talk etc to raise happiness daily/regularly
  • create serums and buy policies that allow you to 'force-feed' your employees daily with them to keep certain stats at a certain level
  • hire and fire constantly thus never ending up in a quitting situation
The management of your employees is the core element to gain income and drugs to do everything else to/with others. Small talk can reveal the likes and dislikes of a person as can certain business policies. Those cost money to buy and come in various stages thus revealing more of the initially hidden likes and dislikes at hiring stage.

Many dislikes are either connected to certain clothing, colours, days or activities. You can have a person employed with faboulous stats in HR for example that really really hates working in HR though. Revealing those likes and dislikes early on is usually your first step after hiring a person when you cant afford any business policies yet.

Reactions: Yolda

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
That part is actually one of your daily/general goals to fulfil in Lab Rats 2.
There are various ways to solve this with the help of the provided mechanics.
You can either
  • use the personal interactions like small talk etc to raise happiness daily/regularly
  • create serums and buy policies that allow you to 'force-feed' your employees daily with them to keep certain stats at a certain level
  • hire and fire constantly thus never ending up in a quitting situation
The management of your employees is the core element to gain income and drugs to do everything else to/with others. Small talk can reveal the likes and dislikes of a person as can certain business policies. Those cost money to buy and come in various stages thus revealing more of the initially hidden likes and dislikes at hiring stage.

Many dislikes are either connected to certain clothing, colours, days or activities. You can have a person employed with faboulous stats in HR for example that really really hates working in HR though. Revealing those likes and dislikes early on is usually your first step after hiring a person when you cant afford any business policies yet.
It's, however, a bit ridiculous that you must hire a person for, say, a research position, not knowing if she likes or hates working there. I can understand that she would not reveal if she likes or dislikes creampies, but anything work related should really not be subject to a matching business policy...

It is already not very satisfying to keep all your girls happy in early game. But if you also have to deal with such nonsense, it can take the whole fun out of this.

Coming to think about it: it really should be the other way round. You invite persons for a specific position in the first place, therefore only girls will apply who really want to work there. If I look for a researcher, why would a girl hating research apply for the position?

Reactions: czertik

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
It's, however, a bit ridiculous that you must hire a person for, say, a research position, not knowing if she likes or hates working there. I can understand that she would not reveal if she likes or dislikes creampies, but anything work related should really not be subject to a matching business policy...

It is already not very satisfying to keep all your girls happy in early game. But if you also have to deal with such nonsense, it can take the whole fun out of this.

Coming to think about it: it really should be the other way round. You invite persons for a specific position in the first place, therefore only girls will apply who really want to work there. If I look for a researcher, why would a girl hating research apply for the position?
Its a design mechanics called 'progression'. Without any policies you are basically forced into accepting employees on a hunch. You can remedy that by small-talking with them which takes time out of your daily schedule. With more info on each of your employees handling them becomes easier and more reliable thus giving you more time during the day. With more income you can buy policies that will show more info on each employee and also give you a larger pool to draw from.

As of your hiring argument: The hiring process doesnt qualify the job type - you select where to post the employee after you choose to hire them. So at the time of looking through the applicants you are looking through people who apply in general and not for a specific job - that choice is left to you as a player.

P.S. I could/should have added that not hiring persons that have a large number of dislikes/hates is also a viable strategy in the early game. It will mean you might/will spend money on inviting people you are not going to hire any of. The mechanics are generally thought well through and allow playing the game without save scumming.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
Its a design mechanics called 'progression'. Without any policies you are basically forced into accepting employees on a hunch. You can remedy that by small-talking with them which takes time out of your daily schedule. With more info on each of your employees handling them becomes easier and more reliable thus giving you more time during the day. With more income you can buy policies that will show more info on each employee and also give you a larger pool to draw from.

As of your hiring argument: The hiring process doesnt qualify the job type - you select where to post the employee after you choose to hire them. So at the time of looking through the applicants you are looking through people who apply in general and not for a specific job - that choice is left to you as a player.

P.S. I could/should have added that not hiring persons that have a large number of dislikes/hates is also a viable strategy in the early game. It will mean you might/will spend money on inviting people you are not going to hire any of. The mechanics are generally thought well through and allow playing the game without save scumming.
I know how the mechanics work, I already played the latest and previous releases three times. However, it is a pain in the ass if you have a company that you can not bring into life only because you cannot do anything else than small-talking your girls happy so that they do not quit as soon as being hired. Not to mention that there are also those girls that hate small-talking. Having donte that one time too often, therefore I chose the save&reload approach. Game should be fun, after all.

If *I* run a business, and am hiring new employees, spending a whole morning doing the hiring, my first question would be: "Would you like working in the research area?". If no, good bye.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I know how the mechanics work, I already played the latest and previous releases three times. However, it is a pain in the ass if you have a company that you can not bring into life only because you cannot do anything else than small-talking your girls happy so that they do not quit as soon as being hired. Not to mention that there are also those girls that hate small-talking. Having donte that one time too often, therefore I chose the save&reload approach. Game should be fun, after all.

If *I* run a business, and am hiring new employees, spending a whole morning doing the hiring, my first question would be: "Would you like working in the research area?". If no, good bye.
I was purely referring to how the game is designed now but i can relate to your wish. Maybe you should voice that to Vren directly as an improvement suggestion describing your notion like you do here ;)

As posts are read by others too i pointed out how the mechanics work and their intention in the scope of the design of the game. Wasnt meant to berate you. I personally never had the problem with girls trying to quit - so my reply was most definitely a bit biased as i tend to play games using what is provided to me and not trying to circumvent things.

In terms of game development and design he made a smart choice which i can totally be behind. You start a business with very limited knowledge as a leader. The income can either be used to pay more to your employees to keep them happy, be used to buy policies that prevent the 'secrecy' of likes and dislikes and there are various other ways actually to prevent that dilemma. Each way either costs you money or other resources like time and/or effort. Having people apply in general and not for a particular job is also a design decision i simply take as it comes with the game - so i adapt my strategy accordingly. Since there are actual ways to exploit dislikes not having them apply to a specific job actually makes a lot sense in the current design.

srksrk 68

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Sep 17, 2018
I was purely referring to how the game is designed now but i can relate to your wish. Maybe you should voice that to Vren directly as an improvement suggestion describing your notion like you do here ;)

As posts are read by others too i pointed out how the mechanics work and their intention in the scope of the design of the game. Wasnt meant to berate you. I personally never had the problem with girls trying to quit - so my reply was most definitely a bit biased as i tend to play games using what is provided to me and not trying to circumvent things.

In terms of game development and design he made a smart choice which i can totally be behind. You start a business with very limited knowledge as a leader. The income can either be used to pay more to your employees to keep them happy, be used to buy policies that prevent the 'secrecy' of likes and dislikes and there are various other ways actually to prevent that dilemma. Each way either costs you money or other resources like time and/or effort. Having people apply in general and not for a particular job is also a design decision i simply take as it comes with the game - so i adapt my strategy accordingly. Since there are actual ways to exploit dislikes not having them apply to a specific job actually makes a lot sense in the current design.
As I wrote, I played through the game three times already (having a start from scratch an restart because of bad luck even more often), so you might guess that I really kind of like it :)

However, as it is now, I always play the game like that: Start small, see how it works out, then get all the serum traits and business policies as soon as possible, and only expand slowly so not to run into the trap of girls being constantly quitting or alternatively have to talk them happy without a pause. Then, when you have the serum trait to drug them happy, the game is a self-runner and you can do whatever you like because everyone is a hyper-happy obedient love-crazy slut in just one additional week (day, really).

And that is without ever using the bimbo trait.

So, at the beginning, it's too hard, while at the end it's too easy. I understand the game is far from being finished, but it needs a serious balance re-work.

Reactions: Yakis0ba

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
So, at the beginning, it's too hard, while at the end it's too easy. I understand the game is far from being finished, but it needs a serious balance re-work.
I personally would not agree to that notion. In games there is usually 2 ways to go: randomness or logic based mechanics. Anything logic based will be cracked /deciphered eventually by a human being and then capitalized on by the player. That is the stage where you feel it is too easy - but the fun is usually the way from zero to having cracked the logic thus giving a feeling of achievement. A newer player will feel like being stuck in the process of decrypting/cracking the logic behind the whole thing but will also eventually find out about them and apply a different set of subsets and achieve the same in the end.

One common voicing is often that there is lack of content or things become too easy once you understand the machinery of a game. This is a dilemma that cannot be solved by a dev ever as people play with different sets of abilities - something that seems to be easy for you might be awfully complicated for another player.

I personally think Vren actually achieved a nice balance of these 2 aspects. It is not too easy to get out of the starting restrictions without trying stuff or paying with some kind of resource. For the intermediate and advanced players there is plenty of room to optimize, play specific structures etc

Munardy

Mar 15, 2018
I for one, play a character that is quite unlike myself, so I concentrate on the charisma stat a lot, so in the early game, complimenting all my employees daily more than suffices to keep people happy enough unless seriously misplaced, and then can be moved to another department. And in the latter games I give them drugs that make them deleriously happy with my tyrrany. Also majoring in foreplay is a good idea, I find.

Reactions: toolkitxx
3.40 star(s) 127 Votes