Silentheart42

May 10, 2019
room.formalName = "new name" I can't figure this command out. I want to change Lily's Bedroom to Susan's Bedroom but I keep getting errors.

Urpo

Dec 31, 2018
So, what is the state of the game's future? From the comments it sounds like it is getting Unity port or something?
It would have been better if he just added more part options (like faces and hair) and new positions. Graphics were never the problem in technical sense - lack of variety was the issue. This problem is deeper than the visual since also the encounters, interactions, personalities and dialogue lacked the variety. Technical wankery isn't going to fix that.

Reactions: 4GunZ

hyfka

Mar 8, 2021
So, what is the state of the game's future? From the comments it sounds like it is getting Unity port or something?
It would have been better if he just added more part options (like faces and hair) and new positions. Graphics were never the problem in technical sense - lack of variety was the issue. This problem is deeper than the visual since also the encounters, interactions, personalities and dialogue lacked the variety. Technical wankery isn't going to fix that.
Probably effectively abandoooooned or turned into a community project

bloodbus

Sep 30, 2020
No unity port, that's just me being inquisitive baselessly. It's going open source so that Vren can get help improving the live2d implementation. Live2d was supposed to make more variety in art easier, but Vren isn't happy with how it looks. He isn't happy with how long it's taking either. It's not abandoned - Or even in danger of that. Vren's been communicative on the discord, which indicates the opposite of abandonment

themagiman

Mar 3, 2018
Does this mean Vren is going to leave the project with the mod community and begin work on another game or keep working side by side with the modders?

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
Is there anyone skilled and interested enough to make Lab Rats 3D in Unity or something like this? I feel like it's just a matter of time, and now, with the source available...

Aloof_Tooth

Feb 18, 2022
Is there anyone skilled and interested enough to make Lab Rats 3D in Unity or something like this? I feel like it's just a matter of time, and now, with the source available...
It's not like you can just copy and paste the code. Ren'Py and the code you write to make the game is in Python. Unity is C#. The syntax differences alone between the two means that you'd be doing a from-the-ground-up remake.

MaxTheDark

Apr 11, 2021
It's not like you can just copy and paste the code. Ren'Py and the code you write to make the game is in Python. Unity is C#. The syntax differences alone between the two means that you'd be doing a from-the-ground-up remake.
Yes indeed, but at the same time, we're talking about a busines simulator. Copying the code won't work, but designing with cells like Skyrim where you move ferom one to another with at least basic female models would already be a massive leap forward, and the source code should allow us to understand the potion mechanic better as well.

Aloof_Tooth

Feb 18, 2022
the source code should allow us to understand the potion mechanic better as well.
Hmm, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. I've spent a fair amount of time poking around the LR2 source code already and I've not seen anything particularly complex there - really just convoluted. Nothing I've seen is like magic becoming mundane, because the game doesn't actually do anything like magic - there's just a lot of small factors being weighed in small conditions, which should be more-or-less easily "readable" by anyone technically minded just when playing the game.

Also the game moving to open source doesn't give us anything we didn't already have when viewing it from this angle. We've had full access to the source code for a long time now, open source just means Vren is relinquishing exclusive control over the project.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Yes indeed, but at the same time, we're talking about a busines simulator. Copying the code won't work, but designing with cells like Skyrim where you move ferom one to another with at least basic female models would already be a massive leap forward, and the source code should allow us to understand the potion mechanic better as well.
I'd say adding some walking around in 3d to a turn-based business simulator is a complete opposite of leaps forward, as it only results in dragging basic actions out.

In any case, LR2 is simple enough business simulator you don't really need its code to copy such functionality.

Reactions: hyfka

jan^s

Dec 19, 2019
There are quite a few py to C# converters out there, how functional they are is not my area of expertise leaving that to the better code minded individuals.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
There are quite a few py to C# converters out there, how functional they are is not my area of expertise leaving that to the better code minded individuals.
Any project I saw which received an engine change from RenPy to for example Unity had to be reworked from the scratch codewise... at best they managed to port over the renders for the characters.
Though it seems that several Devs consider it prudent to give those a rework aswell to improve their quality with the new engine.

Oct 14, 2020
Ren'py displays easily written text on screen, handles buttons, saves state, etc. There is a good deal of infrastructure that Ren'py handles for the game that you would want, at least, to rewrite to have a similar experience.

nim

May 6, 2017
Does this mean Vren is going to leave the project with the mod community and begin work on another game or keep working side by side with the modders?
Vren's goal is to get help with the implementation of the Live2D graphics. Applying new software to an existing project can be a huge task. I like the initial images from Live2D and am looking forward to the full application.

3.40 star(s) 127 Votes