4.10 star(s) 50 Votes

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
, so not a super long time. I assume things continue to progress on the game.
Considering there was a time when this was the hot new game full of potential, people sang it's praises and it was set to be one of the next big things.....

Devs hit one problem after another and haven't exactly been on point since.

Might just be a few of us but if I had the next big hit on my hands and after just over 2 years saw it was barely a passing memory for a lot of people i'd be super pissed at myself.

drcynic22

Dec 5, 2018
Considering there was a time when this was the hot new game full of potential, people sang it's praises and it was set to be one of the next big things.....

Might just be a few of us but if I had the next big hit on my hands and after just over 2 years saw it was barely a passing memory for a lot of people i'd be super pissed at myself.
It's a shame. I know the dev team has had quite a lot of bad luck in the last couple of years or so. I still always hope to see it continue on and update.

Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

/lurk mode off

Yeah, this game and LoF were the first I gave money to when I discovered them. But now with the “girlfriend wasn’t cheating” and the slow as molasses (in December) development this game is a story of squandered goodwill and wasted potential. The dev team had a second game, which is now split off and being developed by one person, and it gets updated more often. So I guess this is a lesson of too many developers splitting the responsibilities isn't a good thing… Anyway, I’m sure that RL has fucked them like it’s fucked everyone, would be nice if they shit or got off the pot.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Are you achin” for some datin”?
Then shut your computer, dress up and go out have a walk and take in the girls all over town.

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Even the website link in the OP seems to have expired...
Really a shame. The writing in this one used to be GOLD.

But then, they had some sort of disagreement (they're not gonna admit it but it was plain to see) and they split up. I'm not saying they had a falling out and stopped being friends in real life, that would be talking out my ass. But it was obvious that they had some kind of game-related disagreement. BTW the person who left the team allegedly didn't have enough time to make sufficient art for the game, yet the first release of the other game that he continued developing alone had over 1,500 renders...

Later, the solution that the team found for this loss was forced on them by the circumstances. The game is no longer the same we had 2 years ago, and it shows, and the long-ass development times are not helping us to keep alive the original excitement and attachment to the characters.

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
But then, they had some sort of disagreement (they're not gonna admit it but it was plain to see) and they split up. I'm not saying they had a falling out and stopped being friends in real life, that would be talking out my ass. But it was obvious that they had some kind of game-related disagreement. BTW the person who left the team allegedly didn't have enough time to make sufficient art for the game, yet the first release of the other game that he continued developing alone had over 1,500 renders...
Damn, I didn't know there were conspiracies. I thought this was a passion project they did in their free time, which is why the writing was so good and the update cycle so long. I couldn't even imagine what they could disagree about, because this is such an agreeable game. The only thing lacking is some buildup to the Annie scenes really.
I just wish we wouldn't have to sit on the huge cliffhanger of the last update for so long.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Damn, I didn't know there were conspiracies. I thought this was a passion project they did in their free time, which is why the writing was so good and the update cycle so long. I couldn't even imagine what they could disagree about, because this is such an agreeable game. The only thing lacking is some buildup to the Annie scenes really.
I just wish we wouldn't have to sit on the huge cliffhanger of the last update for so long.
There are no conspiacies.

Dev team had a falling out and one left to carry on with the second game they started.

The second game the entirety of their player base said was a bad idea to start.

It won't cause problems, they said. Everything will be fine, they said.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Imo it was a matter of not making enough with The Last Call. To Be a Kang is making better being a classic harem game.
No conspracies needed, it's a no brainer, you will work in which patrons pay you to do.

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
Imo it was a matter of not making enough with The Last Call. To Be a Kang is making better being a classic harem game.
No conspracies needed, it's a no brainer, you will work in which patrons pay you to do.
How did they expect to gain more support without regular updates?
I can see your point about the other game, but "classic harem game" sounds like a euphemism for "lowest common denominator" to me, which only makes the wait for Last Call an even more tough pill to swallow.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
"classic harem game" sounds like a euphemism for "lowest common denominator" to me
That's my intention saying it like that. I don't hate Harem games or anything, It just that there are too many already. I prefer games with a good story and some kind of believability.
Anyway, there are too many because it works, like incest and some other genres. It's the safest bet if you want to get some money from making a game.
Put yourself in their place, months making updates for TLC and the patreon count barely moving. I have seen devs abandoning their games after a couple of updates because they didn't get the money they expect.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
This was doing well without being a classic harem game.

It lost support when the devs had a falling out and the updates stopped.

Patrons were already paying them, updates stopped and patrons stopped paying them. It had fuck all to do with not being a harem game.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
this kang?

Reactions: MrFriendly

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
As Ava said, I believe too that this situation had nothing to do with fans liking TBaK better.

These are the two posts from January 2021 when everything started going downhill.

In the first one, IT Roy claims that unfortunately he has very little time free to devote to Thunderline Studios (in general, to both games), so TBaK would be put on hold until Last Call was completed, which in turn would have slower development (their previous release of Last Call had been in June or July 2020, and originally they said v.0.4 would be out in November 2020).

I'm back! Though with a more restricted schedule for work here at Thunderline. As Xor noted in our last dev update, my actual job that pays the bills is a lot busier. Consequently, my time to work on Thunderline projects is massively reduced. For a time, I was able to get in several hours a day of Thunderline work. But those days won't be coming back soon. With my schedule, it will be just a couple of hours most days that I'll have available to work on renders. So this means slower updates from us. It also means that we have to make some changes with our focus here at Thunderline.
Which brings me to some sad news. To Be A King is being put on hiatus until Last Call is finished. I'm sorry to all the fans of the new game, including those of you who primarily enjoyed To Be A King. It isn't dead, though we won't be coming back to it for several months. TBaK characters are still available for customs, and I imagine you'll see them appear in special renders from time-to-time. Once Last Call is finished, To Be A King work resumes until it is complete. Tiers will remain the same, though To Be A King will no longer be listed in the rewards (past releases will still be available to the $10 tier and up).
I'll also be stepping away from Discord. With my time constraints now, it just isn't a place I have time for anymore. I'll still be posting things on Patreon, SubscribeStar, and our website. Marguerite will be keeping things going on Instagram, with some exclusive images coming there, including some new weekly features.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a massive release to continue working on. Look for some new Last Call previews soon!
- IT Roy
In the second one, IT Roy announces that his daily job was forcing him to move away from the studio.
Quote:
Staring at a nice counter with several hundred renders for a release seems a bit too daunting with my limited time now
. He also mentioned not feeling inspired after a day's work.
I'm going to take a bit of a break from renders, though I may come back in a much reduced capacity just doing customs and fun render sets later.
But, as I already said, a few days later he opened his own Patreon. As soon as he started working on TBaK alone he churned out over 1,500 renders for the next release in just 2 or 3 months, literally. So those 2 sentences were utter bullshit, just something he had to say to keep things private.

It's obvious that they had an argument about which game should have the focus. After announcing that TBaK was on hold, IT Roy probably started having second thoughts, but the others disagreed with him. So that's most probably what happened.

It's a sad day here. I hoped I wouldn't have to write this post, but here we are. I'm stepping away from Thunderline Studios. My day job continues to be incredibly busy. I've been trying to fight through and get game renders done, but the inspiration, after a long workday, just isn't there. Staring at a nice counter with several hundred renders for a release seems a bit too daunting with my limited time now. Looking ahead to my schedule over the next six months, I don't see it getting less busy.

Thank you all to everyone who has supported us! Our hope was after some time away for me that I'd be back to things as before, but that isn't going to be the case.

So, what happens now? We will be pausing our Patreon for the foreseeable future. There will still be some fun renders in my library that I'll be sharing. And Thunderline Studios isn't done. Look for an announcement soon as the rest of the team works to finish the wonderful story of Last Call.

I'm going to take a bit of a break from renders, though I may come back in a much reduced capacity just doing customs and fun render sets later. Our Instagram will still be active. I do have some fun renders that I've done previously that will be shared here soon.

Again, thank you all for your support and love for what we do! I wish I didn't have to say goodbye this way, but life has a habit of making decisions for you. Here's to hoping that I get enough time to be able to resume work at Thunderline at some point in the future. Have a safe and happy 2021!

- IT Roy
This happened in January 2021. Can you guess when Thunderline started losing patreons? Well, in February, slumping from about 140 supporters to barely 80, a trend that continued non-stop.

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 17-38-01 Thunderline Studios Patreon Earnings Statistics Graphs Rank.png

IT Roy, on the other hand, did not receive all that support immediately. In other words, it's not that all the patrons that left Thunderline move to IT Roy's patreon because they were only interested in TBaK. In fact, he had very little support until he put out the first couple of updates. People liked it and started giving him money. "People" in general, not necessarily former Thunderline patrons.

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 18-56-15 ITRoy Patreon Earnings Statistics Graphs Rank.png

IMHO it was all a matter of trust. When they announced they were splitting, and instead of releasing an update that had been scheduled 3 months earlier they started looking for a new artist and so on, and so forth, people started sensing there was something odd going on and were not sure if supporting the project was worth it any longer.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
people started sensing there was something odd going on and were not sure if supporting the project was worth it any longer.
This seems to be the case for the few people I know that supported this game and have since pulled out.

They love the game but faith in the devs has gone.

They don't seem to have any interest in fighting back to win back player support and seem content to either amble along or let this die.

It's not what I want to be posting but I genuinely believe the devs have stopped caring about this. Their website died, they don't update on Patreon and seem okay to hav extended periods between content updates with no contact with their players.

It has all the signs of devs that have just said fuck it and hung up the towel.

4.10 star(s) 50 Votes