4.20 star(s) 17 Votes

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
The game is beyond my expectation . I was hesitate to downloaod the game but the story went well and I found myself looking forward for the next chapter.

However, I would like to provide somethings I have noticed in the game. Some of them may have been pointed out by above posts, I will go over others.

1. At the begining of the game, you try to show us that neko stereotype human as rude animals via Alexis behavior: against a lot of idea MC suggest at begin(and maybe want to present Alexis's characteristic as well), it is okay to do it. but present this without considering the situation is not wise. First impression is already far from stereotypes, not even metnion LI is in an unknown place, which is under MC's control. outside of the house is dead zone. I didn't see any brave but stupid/brainless from Alexis, unless you mean it.
Apologies, but I really don't know exactly what you're trying to say here.

2. The quality of the render is good. Although most of LI's has very similar physical form, and similar face shape. There is no problem the content creator make their game with personal favor, but what cause the problem is the facial expression. It does not present LI's emotion very well, sometimes it is even incorrect.

For example
View attachment 2019196
This is the sense LI is waiting and should show worries but what I see is a frown face.
Alexis is not worried here... she's agitated because they're taking longer than he said they would.

This issue happened in a lot place, I think it is due to handful facial expression pattern. In addition, from my view most of LI share the same pattern of facial expression. So, similar physical form, similar face shape, sharing same pattern of the facial expression. When they stand together, it is like watching power ranger, I could only distinguish them by their color.
Okay, I take great pride in making my characters pretty. I spend days working on their looks. In fact, I've received more praise about the appearance of my characters than I have about anything else in my artwork. Honestly, I think you are the first person that's said anything about this. Yes, when it comes to talking about the design of my girls, I will defend myself on that front. You have no idea the time I put into that. If they aren't to your liking, this is more of a personal preference, I think. As for the "power rangers" comment... No offense to you, but I've always liked when the girls in these games kinda have their own color coordination. So that was done here because that is what I like.

Other then that, it is quite a good game. I have no problem of no option in the game. The story is attractive and it definitely reach the certain quality. I am looking forward for the next episode.

It is my review of last human.
It is possible I misunderstood some of your points here due to our difference in language. But I am glad you seem to like the game otherwise.

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
Love serenity, I am assuming these Neko's have nothing to do with Serenity because they look very familiar ;) Looking forward to this game. I just hope at some point we'll see more updates of serenity :)

SHREDDER1976

Feb 25, 2021
  1. G'day N2TheFire
  2. I tried to leave a message saying how much i love playing Serenity and Last Human on patreon but someone kept deleting my post. so... i left you the same post on F95zone.to , on there i'm SHREDDER.
  3. , I am glad you liked my post once you got to read it. my idea's on a babylon 6 style station if you are interested are at this web address, i think you would really like them. anyway hope your doing well and hope you have a great weeked.

4. p.s. also this one

APTiCT

May 30, 2020
Hey N2TheFire
loved your other game, the Serenity, so I'm sure this will be good as well. Just wanted to mention, that your Android version might have some errors. I can't go into the main menu, setting or save menu in the game, as it gives the following error:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'gui/phone/overlay/eg_bg1.png'>:
IOError: Couldn't find file 'gui/phone/overlay/eg_bg1.png'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "_layout/screen_load_save.rpymc", line 35, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 914, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in <module>
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 297, in interact
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2702, in interact
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3194, in interact_core
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2094, in draw_screen
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 490, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen/renpy.display.render.c:6805)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:3520)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 722, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:4075)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:3520)
  File "renpy/display/transition.py", line 361, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen/renpy.display.render.c:4075)
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 675, in render
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1155, in render
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 583, in render
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 266, in get
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 628, in load
  File "renpy/loader.py", line 576, in load

Trynn

Jul 10, 2018
It's always nice to see a responsive dev, makes me feel there might be a point to offering feedback. I'm mostly a plot guy, I like constructing stories and making them work so most of my responses will be from that angle. I've already said I like the new cast and the setting in general, and having read the post-release... post... that N2 put out, I'd like to put forward some more specific thoughts to go forward with.

First off, mapping the system a space-faring race lives in. N2 addressed this so it can be dealt with. It is perhaps worthwhile to point out that simply having to-orbit capability and an orbital station does not equate to being a distributed power throughout your solar system. I mean, it doesn't for us in the real world. And we don't have asshole aliens blowing our shit up. We still have to do it ourselves. But leading off from that, more depth as to why an alien race with a seemingly more advanced space capability hasn't conquered the Nekos yet might be worth covering. Much like how air superiority gives you command of the battlefield, if you hold the orbits, you hold the planet. It's the ultimate high ground. That said, it doesn't need to be anything in-depth unless it's going to be a plot focus. Short addresses in passing are frequently enough to prevent something from becoming a distraction. Maybe this is the first time those rebels have managed to get their ships into orbit, and so this is a significant event that will have political ramifications going forward. But those don't need to be anything the crew deal with except in passing, they aren't politicians. Yes it's convenient that the Aurora showed up just as this happened, but that's how stories work. Some coincidences can be allowed.

Earth blowing up probably wouldn't happen that way. I can still accept it. MC being alone for a prolonged period - well, he has an AI to keep him socially engaged, so he wouldn't necessarily go insane, though having him take a while to get used to the varied personalities of his new crew might be a consideration. He might not be socially incompetent, but he is inexperienced. If you want to ignore that, mention that the AI would change her personality to make him get used to different ways of interacting.

The rest of humanity. I think this needs a lot more explanation than has been given. Why didn't we try to leave Earth, or did we? If we did, why does MC not know? If we didn't, what kept us from doing so? If mass immigration wasn't an option, why didn't we do what we could? Generation ships, seed banks, if we couldn't save ourselves why didn't we save the species? Or did we and we failed somehow? Something went wrong with the attempts - data corruption, sabotage from nihilists, alien intervention - and it lead to widespread ennui as we accepted our demise, spending the last of our energy on each other in positive or negative ways. With the Aurora being an unfinished project it could maybe have black box features that the MC doesn't know about put there by his father or other designers.

As I understand the narrative of Serenity, the cast of that game were all given Writer powers and created their own Realities to a greater or lesser degree, meaning the way things work in those Realities is subject to their desires, though it does seem that after creation such Realities are allowed to progress on their own. I am unsure if Pantheria is something Rin created and placed in a universe or she created the entire Reality around it as well, but either way whilst it would be in canon, I feel it'd be cheap to just excuse any significant logical inconsistencies with "Well, it's literally Rin's story made manifest, it can be however she wants." Not saying that's the intent, but as I say, whilst it might actually be a part of how the setting functions, it'd still be unsatisfying, especially when most non-plot-critical issues can be sidelined with minimal, if careful, effort.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Hey N2TheFire
loved your other game, the Serenity, so I'm sure this will be good as well. Just wanted to mention, that your Android version might have some errors. I can't go into the main menu, setting or save menu in the game, as it gives the following error:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'gui/phone/overlay/eg_bg1.png'>:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "_layout/screen_load_save.rpymc", line 35, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 914, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in <module>
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 297, in interact
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2702, in interact
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3194, in interact_core
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2094, in draw_screen
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 490, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen/renpy.display.render.c:6805)
  File "renpy/display/transition.py", line 361, in render
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 675, in render
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1155, in render
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 583, in render
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 266, in get
  File "renpy/display/im.py", line 628, in load
  File "renpy/loader.py", line 576, in load
You need to redownload it. I fixed it a couple of days ago and updated the links on all my sites (and it was updated here also).

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
It's always nice to see a responsive dev, makes me feel there might be a point to offering feedback. I'm mostly a plot guy, I like constructing stories and making them work so most of my responses will be from that angle. I've already said I like the new cast and the setting in general, and having read the post-release... post... that N2 put out, I'd like to put forward some more specific thoughts to go forward with.

First off, mapping the system a space-faring race lives in. N2 addressed this so it can be dealt with. It is perhaps worthwhile to point out that simply having to-orbit capability and an orbital station does not equate to being a distributed power throughout your solar system. I mean, it doesn't for us in the real world. And we don't have asshole aliens blowing our shit up. We still have to do it ourselves. But leading off from that, more depth as to why an alien race with a seemingly more advanced space capability hasn't conquered the Nekos yet might be worth covering. Much like how air superiority gives you command of the battlefield, if you hold the orbits, you hold the planet. It's the ultimate high ground. That said, it doesn't need to be anything in-depth unless it's going to be a plot focus. Short addresses in passing are frequently enough to prevent something from becoming a distraction. Maybe this is the first time those rebels have managed to get their ships into orbit, and so this is a significant event that will have political ramifications going forward. But those don't need to be anything the crew deal with except in passing, they aren't politicians. Yes it's convenient that the Aurora showed up just as this happened, but that's how stories work. Some coincidences can be allowed.

Earth blowing up probably wouldn't happen that way. I can still accept it. MC being alone for a prolonged period - well, he has an AI to keep him socially engaged, so he wouldn't necessarily go insane, though having him take a while to get used to the varied personalities of his new crew might be a consideration. He might not be socially incompetent, but he is inexperienced. If you want to ignore that, mention that the AI would change her personality to make him get used to different ways of interacting.

The rest of humanity. I think this needs a lot more explanation than has been given. Why didn't we try to leave Earth, or did we? If we did, why does MC not know? If we didn't, what kept us from doing so? If mass immigration wasn't an option, why didn't we do what we could? Generation ships, seed banks, if we couldn't save ourselves why didn't we save the species? Or did we and we failed somehow? Something went wrong with the attempts - data corruption, sabotage from nihilists, alien intervention - and it lead to widespread ennui as we accepted our demise, spending the last of our energy on each other in positive or negative ways. With the Aurora being an unfinished project it could maybe have black box features that the MC doesn't know about put there by his father or other designers.

As I understand the narrative of Serenity, the cast of that game were all given Writer powers and created their own Realities to a greater or lesser degree, meaning the way things work in those Realities is subject to their desires, though it does seem that after creation such Realities are allowed to progress on their own. I am unsure if Pantheria is something Rin created and placed in a universe or she created the entire Reality around it as well, but either way whilst it would be in canon, I feel it'd be cheap to just excuse any significant logical inconsistencies with "Well, it's literally Rin's story made manifest, it can be however she wants." Not saying that's the intent, but as I say, whilst it might actually be a part of how the setting functions, it'd still be unsatisfying, especially when most non-plot-critical issues can be sidelined with minimal, if careful, effort.

Looking forward to the next chapter!
What a great post, with a lot of ideas presented that are actually 'doable'.
First, I want to say that no, Rin did not write this universe and Pantheria. Between Serenity and Last Human 'canon', it would be another dimension that is connected to the void. More will be revealed about her "visits" to Pantheria in later episodes of both games. I should mention that I think of the 'void' as a sort of space with multiple dimensions connected to it. Serenity's MC (and the ascended girls there) are capable of crossing this void into other dimensions. However, the place where Serenity lies is the same place where our "current version of Earth" lies. There will also be more revealed about these things as we progress the story (like how Camilla near the middle of Serenity C1 had to learn how to cross the void and enter the same dimension her mom and brother was in - where Serenity is).

The "mapping the planet" stuff - I'm basically going to alter that bit of dialogue just enough so that it makes more sense. As I said before (and embarrassingly), I forgot to go back and rewrite that part. I had noted it when I did my first proofing and just somehow never did it before building.

Earth blowing up - actually I was trying to show that it more or less imploded, which would seem more likely given a collapse of the planet's core. The renders I did were an attempt to show the planet 'pulling in' everything around it (like the space station). It was a difficult thing to render and have it look believable. I must have rendered 16 different versions before I decided on the one you see now. Seriously... if you guys could watch me while I work on this stuff, you'd think I was completely nuts. Well, I AM completely nuts but that is beside the point. :D

The rest of humanity - Actually this is something I intend to address further into the story. Honestly, I don't want to put too much attention on the 'how's and whys' and like I told someone else before... originally, I had a lot of that written but it was too long - too much reading I felt. So, I decided to remove some things out. So, I plan to address that subject 'in passing' during conversations or maybe have a character ask. Something no one has mentioned yet concerning this (surprisingly) is that I'm sure the girls might be curious about Trent's past and want to hear about how it all happened. < That is pretty much the angle I am looking to use for this.

I really appreciate this kind of feedback. I'm not perfect so I don't mind when someone calls me out on something that doesn't make sense or could make better sense... as long as the alternative being offered is realistic and I can actually make it work. Kinda like the person that rated my game lower because it's kinetic. I can't realistically change that.
Anyway, more options and ideas added to my notes. Now back to writing Serenity ep2 :)

Trynn

Jul 10, 2018
First, I want to say that no, Rin did not write this universe and Pantheria. Between Serenity and Last Human 'canon', it would be another dimension that is connected to the void. More will be revealed about her "visits" to Pantheria in later episodes of both games.
I look forward to learning more. Likewise on the 'rest of humanity' point.

Earth blowing up - actually I was trying to show that it more or less imploded, which would seem more likely given a collapse of the planet's core.
If the core destabilised in such a catastrophic fashion, it's more likely the planet would just shake itself apart and fragment. I don't think it needs to be a plot point that has to be way up the Mohs scale of science fiction hardness, probably best to give fewer details so we can just accept it hap[opened without thinking about the Hows too much. Having said that though...

... I am going to be a pedant here. I forgot to include it in my previous post even though I intended to, but it's not "inertial dampeners." There's no such thing. The closest you could get is someone throwing a wet towel at your face. Oscillations and vibrations are damped, not dampened. The only dampeners in that capsule are the two kitties having their lives saved by a chad. : V

reznar

Mar 14, 2018
I really enjoyed Serenity, so when I saw this was up, I knew I needed to check it out.

Outside of the issues that Trynn brought up above, I cannot think of any real issues so far, I am definitely looking forward to more and getting to see you stretch your legs a a writer!

I am not a fan of the whole sequence with the Queen, but if we are going to be in for a more "pulpy" sci-fi setting, I'll live with it. Especially since pulpy sci-fi means hawt alien space babes ;)

Reactions: Maknzy

Shadowkeeper

May 22, 2019
originally, I had a lot of that written but it was too long - too much reading I felt.
If you don't end up using any of that, any chance you'll eventually release a writeup for those interested in reading what might have been?
Or perhaps an ingame "lorebook" to cover the stuff that some might tldr but others really want to know?

Reactions: N2TheFire

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
If you don't end up using any of that, any chance you'll eventually release a writeup for those interested in reading what might have been?
Or perhaps an ingame "lorebook" to cover the stuff that some might tldr but others really want to know?
That is a very interesting idea. I honestly had considered doing something like that but figured most people who enjoy AVN's might not be interested in any tldr. But you know, it might be cool to have that option in the menu. Thanks! I'll add that back to my list of things. :)

Jboy86

Jun 21, 2021
Just finished my first play through of the current build. Love the story so far, I often find myself skipping through a lot of Visual Novel games because I'm unable to connect with the characters, but in Last Human it's very easy to place yourself in the perspective of the MC and to care about your crewmates as they are introduced. I'm going to play through Serenity now and can't wait for more stories from you.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Just finished my first play through of the current build. Love the story so far, I often find myself skipping through a lot of Visual Novel games because I'm unable to connect with the characters, but in Last Human it's very easy to place yourself in the perspective of the MC and to care about your crewmates as they are introduced. I'm going to play through Serenity now and can't wait for more stories from you.
Glad you enjoyed it. Serenity was my first project and is quite rough from the start but hang in there. :D
I have plans to go back through that one someday and fix issues with the story and dialog, as well as a lot of renders from before I learned about lighting and graphics presets.

paradroid

Sep 19, 2020
A Dumb question, I've played though v0.3, but at the finish it said 'End Part 1'

Am I missing something or is 0.3 the whole of Part 1? Just a bit confusing on the naming convention.

Loving the game so far.

Reactions: N2TheFire

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
A Dumb question, I've played though v0.3, but at the finish it said 'End Part 1'

Am I missing something or is 0.3 the whole of Part 1? Just a bit confusing on the naming convention.

Loving the game so far.
I think what you read is "This is the end of Episode 1" - which means the next update will be 'Episode 2', and so forth. The naming convention shouldn't be too confusing; it reads like a series with new episodes each update. To me, much less confusing than some I've seen out there with "Chapter 3, part 6, update 5". Last Human's major updates will be new episodes, while minor updates (fixes/bugs, etc.) will change the 'version'.

The first release of Last Human was Episode 1, which was 'version 0.1'. That was during beta. After applying some fixes, correcting some spelling/grammar twice... by the time Episode 1 went public, it was 'version 0.3' - but still Episode 1. As an example, when Episode 2 comes out for patrons (beta), it will be version 0.4. And if I have to fix anything and rebuild again, it will be version 0.5 or 0.6 - but it will still contain Episodes 1 and 2 at that point.

I hope that clears up any confusion anyone has about how I version my games.

4.20 star(s) 17 Votes