VN Ren'Py Abandoned Leather and Steel [v0.6] [Amaraine]

wondergames

Game Developer
Oct 26, 2019
Your renders are nice, man! Personally I appreciated the skin of the Blondie (from a creator's point of view). Good job!

f96zonetrooper

Engaged Member
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks for the update.

While the game content is interesting, there are some basic design decisions which are not fun :
- only 3 actions per day (e.g. Flirt, Hug, Kiss = 1 action each)
- only 21 days = 63 actions to play (logic puzzle instead of sandbox?)
- no info in game how many days have passed, only day of the week is displayed.
(please don't use Humpday for Wednesday. For non-native speakers it is very irritating since Humpday is rarely ever used.)
- the action menu and the smart phone cover the info of day of the week and time, so when there is a person with action options it is not possible to see what time it is and if time has advanced by an action or not.
- Number of days, day of the week and time info should always be visible.
(Description of savegames should include : Number of days, day of the week and time info )
- when exiting a smartphone menu, the smart phone gets minimized and the player has to enlarge it again before he can access another menu.
(- So far there is only a limited number of locations, so there is no need to generate a dynamic group of location buttons every time the player visits a location. Dynamic buttons are more disruptive than static buttons. If later there might be dozens of locations where only a few will be available per day of the week and time, then a dynamic group might be necessary. Many other games simply have all the locations as buttons near the lower border of the screen. )

Last edited:

QuietLion1973

Oct 18, 2019
- only 21 days = 63 actions to play (logic puzzle instead of sandbox?)
There is a way to override this, if you know how to edit RPY scripts. There's a number value that can be set very high so that it's never reached. I'll let you find it. ;) It probably would not be advised, as it might break that save for later updates. It can be fun to push the version as far as it can go, though. (I really enjoyed the scenes with Mia, which probably can't be unlocked in the regular time limit.)

(please don't use Humpday for Wednesday. For non-native speakers it is very irritating since Humpday is rarely ever used.)
I agree. Humpday is slang (and honestly kind of annoying slang) so it could cause confusion for non-native speakers. Something else that could help is to have a graphic for the weekdays. For example, 7 "calendar" boxes in one corner, and the one for the current day is marked or circled. That would allow for other things like an overlay for which days he has to go to the office, or which days the club is open, or for certain planned events, if you wanted to do that.

(- So far there is only a limited number of locations, so there is no need to generate a dynamic group of location buttons every time the player visits a location. Dynamic buttons are more disruptive than static buttons. If later there might be dozens of locations where only a few will be available per day of the week and time, then a dynamic group might be necessary. Many other games simply have all the locations as buttons near the lower border of the screen. )
I agree with this also. It could be a static set of buttons in a specific part of the screen. The ones that are not yet unlocked could be invisible or show gray with a lock icon or question mark icon, or something like that. It is a little annoying when they move around as we change from one location to another. If it becomes a problem blocking parts of the action on screen, maybe it could be moved to a separate "map" screen.

I also want to add that the stats for the different women sometimes are not visible, depending on the background. In the cafe, it is dark text on a dark background, so it's very hard to read. This is very frustrating when dealing with Mia, since the cafe is where we see her most often.
Also might want to consider a different scene to end the day if the evening's action took place in the bedroom with the wife watching. It is a little strange to tell her "I fucked Chloe today" when she was there to see it. A simple True/False for whether she was watching could trigger the alternate scene. (And set it back to False at the start of the next day.)

This game is pretty good so far. Can't wait until we get to see some more BDSM content for the MC and his ladies. (Oh, the things I want to do to Olivia... :devilish: )

PoisonJames

May 6, 2017
There is a way to override this, if you know how to edit RPY scripts. There's a number value that can be set very high so that it's never reached. I'll let you find it. ;) It probably would not be advised, as it might break that save for later updates. It can be fun to push the version as far as it can go, though.
For something like this, I'd just use saveeditonline.com which modifies Renpy (and a bunch of other) save games. The value here is days, and you can set it to some lower number.

QuietLion1973

Oct 18, 2019
For something like this, I'd just use saveeditonline.com which modifies Renpy (and a bunch of other) save games. The value here is days, and you can set it to some lower number.
The dev changed how that is managed with version 0.3 that makes it easier IMO to just increase the game length once and not worry about it again, rather than editing every time you get close to the max.

JohnJG

Engaged Member
May 17, 2018
The premise of being encouraged by your wife to have as many sexual encounters with women as possible is interesting.

it could leave a lot of room for a developing story line with her for all manner of reasons and potential fall outs. :unsure: :coffee:

x_man

Dec 18, 2017
is there any cheat for this i really like the game wasn't dat much grindy but didn't like dat i had a time limit insted of being sandbox

Amaraine

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Just a general comment about the time limit. I'm aware a lot of people don't like them. I get that. However, the time limit is what makes this game a game. Without some kind of constraint, it might still be an enjoyable activity -- but it wouldn't be a game. In a game, you have things to overcome, and resources that are limited. In a game, it's possible to lose. In a game, it is possible to try again, use a different strategy, and win. There are very few situations in Leather and Steel for you to suffer a serious setback (and I don't see anyone arguing there should be more.) So the time limit is really the only such constraint.

I have nothing against "games" where you can't help but win, they just aren't what I make.

FWIW, the time limit will be extended in the next version. I agree that it's a little too short now, and the idea all along was to extend it as I add more girls to the game.