3.60 star(s) 32 Votes

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
Damn, i was hoping this game would see at least a little more development. Now its abandoned and replaced with something less attractive and very likely also to be abandoned because I'm willing to bet that people will pull out due to the lower quality h-scenes.
Well, actually, there are more and more patrons who support the game. That means that either there is phantom money, or there are users who hope this will come to fruition.

However, it should be noted that, let's say 80% of the revenue already comes from LOK Rebirth, so to say that this is not the same game and opening a new one is risky.

I hope they'll come to their senses and realize that 3D doesn't work and return to the 2D.

Reactions: Artix0

Schmuley Goldstein

Apr 12, 2018
It's because animations were unfinished, something I am extremely displeased about. Animations have been a bottleneck for us since the very beginning of this restart. Some days I do wish we had Abelius because he was far more expedient. However, it is what it is.

We have a fully polished walking animation of Krys showing what they are capable of. I warned for the tech demo, and even at the beginning of the game "This is a tech demo, it isn't totally polished, there are placeholders everywhere. It is literally just to give you an idea of where we want to go with the game."

As for the weird 2D nature of the characters looking flat, we have ideas on how to fix that, we're experimenting as we speak with methods to fix that. The current method we're looking at is something like this:

If we cannot come to an agreeable fix for these issues, then we're considering just making it a side scroller again, we're not sure yet. We're aware of how it looks, but we wanted to show off gameplay, the platforming concept we have, the quest design, the dialogue, and the systems we've been making.

As I have said many, many, many times: It takes time to make games of this complexity, you're going to have to be patient, and we're trying to fix the problems.

View attachment 721114

Character customization.

Also it took as long as it has for various reasons:
1) Our animation team was very, very slow for a while, and we've been fixing that.
2) We had to rework K's model (Which required us to re-rig skeletons) based on complaints in the beginning of the restart. We had to go through multiple iterations of her damned feet because of people complaining. We lost months of progress as a result.

Yeah, they are placeholders. Kuja and Compound are planning on trying some new experiments with environmental textures to make them pop better. We've been looking at League of Legends' artstyle, or Ori and the Blind Forest's kind of environments. We're going to be trying a bunch of stuff here in the near future, we just wanted to get a tech demo out so people had something to play with and get a feel for what we're going for in terms of gameplay.

The old tech demo for LoK:R, v0, was literally just a slide show of sex animations. This one is meant to show you gameplay, and is a lot more complex.

For the animations, see my comment above. I know that it looks bad, believe me, that's why there is a disclaimer. It's a placeholder. It's unpolished, there are no facial expressions, etc.

Well, the Lizardmen will still have their human dicks. But for variety, we'll have different genitalia on different species. Because that's what people wanted. We're also looking to expand gameplay, because that's what people wanted.

Unfortunately it is going to come down to personal taste.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're disappointed (Honestly I was disappointed myself because I was expecting animations for a long time, and they were just so damned slow), but I warned that it was in fact a tech demo. We'll get there, eventually, and I hope you'll come back and support us when we do. Cheers.

2/4 scenes didn't work because they aren't finished yet, so it was just text. People were clamoring for the update, and I didn't have the heart to tell them the animations were STILL not ready. Everything else was ready for literal months. Compound had time to remake the map 8 times over, and learn how to use blender to make it 3D as an experiment. As I said in my discord post, the waiting for animations is inexcusable, and we're going to look at our pipeline for animations far more seriously in the coming future.

But it is still a tech demo, so I dunno what else to tell you. It's a very complex tech demo, I might add, with a ton of moving parts. Compare it to the old tech demo for LoK:R, and you'll see how much more complicated it is. That said, the old tech demo was far more polished, being much simpler.

Not possible, I'm afraid.

The 0.8 build was also not a tech demo. All of the characters are returning, including most of the quests. We need to build back up to that point, because we are restarting from scratch. This should be fairly obvious.

Anyway, as for the art, we're experimenting with ways to make it look better (See my first comment)

There are two lewd scenes. You missed the more polished lesbian scene with Keakrix (Still not fully polished, missing expressions/tongue)

Lizards will have their human dicks. The Snakes have snake dicks. None of the women will have animalistic genitalia, and will all have human genitals/breasts. We wanted more variety of dicks because lots of people wanted more variety of dicks.

You would have access to this knowledge if you were in our discord, and asked.

Yes, animations are mind bogglingly slow in our pipeline, and we're going to fix that. We'll get there, it just takes time. Once all the basic animations are in the game, then it's literally just a matter of creating more and more sex scene content. As much as we want, really.

Also Kuja is ridiculously talented, and fast. You have no idea how astonishingly quick he is with drawing. But Kuja isn't the animator. Also, I do not think you fully understand just how complex this rig is.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Keep in mind, that this rig also needs to be able to accommodate FULL customization, everything from different tails, to different eyes, different hairstyles, different breasts, and even full clothing customization for RPG armors/clothes/etc.

View attachment 721138

Unfortunately, it wasn't possible. However, I think you'll enjoy the story and lore that is planned. We'll see, I guess.

It's a complicated situation, but only time will tell. I appreciate your wishes, and I hope to make a good game for you.

Well 2.5d can work, it can look good (See my first comment on this post), but it is challenging to do. This entire game is a massive challenge to do, that I don't think many people seem to appreciate. It is an immense undertaking, and as Abel said, possibly too immense. We'll see. We're doing lots of experiments now to see what looks good and what does not.

But regardless, soon you'll be seeing fully polished environments and animations. The tech demo was only there to show gameplay elements that we intend to go for.

Most people have stated it was extremely well optimized, 'cept the grass, and Gizmo is making a toggle for the grass. Also, the old version was scrapped for numerous reasons that I'm not going to go into. But we didn't scrap it for shits and giggles. We're going to be getting back to something amazing, it just takes time to make a game. Nothing is instant.
First off, I just want to say wonderful job. With the majority of this sub admonishing the demo & team, you handled this with a fair amount of tact- which isn't easy to do. I genuinely respect that.

I vastly prefer K's old design, specifically her facial proportions/facial structure, but after reading this I decided to give the teasers another chance and I admit, they aren't as bad as I thought. But, I'm honestly reconsidering my view on the new 3D change because of stuff like the character customization you showed. Things like that which go the extra mile would really add to the overall quality of the finished game. I would love a fully fleshed out game with additional options and gimmicks like this.
But the main point of this reply was to say this: I'm worried about the overall scope. I don't want this project to die because its dev team bit off more than they could chew. Obviously, always push yourself to deliver the best you're capable of; but don't be afraid to scale back if you discover that something is simply too unrealistic to achieve/implement.
Best of luck, and I hope you have good day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artix0

MightyAltroll

Game Developer
Sep 19, 2017
I hope they'll come to their senses and realize that 3D doesn't work and return to the 2D.
You may be pleasantly surprised then.

First off, I just want to say wonderful job. With the majority of this sub admonishing the demo & team, you handled this with a fair amount of tact- which isn't easy to do. I genuinely respect that.

I vastly prefer K's old design, specifically her facial proportions/facial structure, but after reading this I decided to give the teasers another chance and I admit, they aren't as bad as I thought. But, I'm honestly reconsidering my view on the new 3D change because of stuff like the character customization you showed. Things like that which go the extra mile would really add to the overall quality of the finished game. I would love a fully fleshed out game with additional options and gimmicks like this.
But the main point of this reply was to say this: I'm worried about the overall scope. I don't want this project to die because its dev team bit off more than they could chew. Obviously, always push yourself to deliver the best you're capable of; but don't be afraid to scale back if you discover that something is simply too unrealistic to achieve/implement.
Best of luck, and I hope you have good day.
I appreciate the words, we're going to be reducing the scope a little bit actually in terms of environments, I think, we're also going to do a slow burn with the movement animations, rather than pushing for all 8 directions immediately, we'll start with the basic side to side movement, and slowly add in the animations/angles over time. We're going for progress now more than anything. However the core gameplay including platforming/KOTOR style combat, more races, and character customization will remain as a must.

Reactions: Artix0 and Red_7285

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
So Krystal's frontal and back anims aren't wasted you could reuse them for going in/out of doors, if your level design uses the Darkest Dungeons style.

MightyAltroll

Game Developer
Sep 19, 2017
So Krystal's frontal and back anims aren't wasted you could reuse them for going in/out of doors, if your level design uses the Darkest Dungeons style.
We plan to re-use them in sex scenes, idle animations, and in the distant future we may finish the 8 direction movement.

whatever4096

Mar 23, 2018
We plan to re-use them in sex scenes, idle animations, and in the distant future we may finish the 8 direction movement.
Is there any reason you couldn't do a 2.5D design or would that be even more difficult? Something where the characters appear to be moving into the foreground or background while still being on a 2D plane. You could still use the 8-way sprites as the character is moving toward or away from the background maybe scaling them slightly to appear farther away. Games have been doing that for a long time.

MightyAltroll

Game Developer
Sep 19, 2017
Is there any reason you couldn't do a 2.5D design or would that be even more difficult? Something where the characters appear to be moving into the foreground or background while still being on a 2D plane. You could still use the 8-way sprites as the character is moving toward or away from the background maybe scaling them slightly to appear farther away. Games have been doing that for a long time.
That's kind of what we're going to be doing. We've also tried quite a few things recently, so what we're doing now is going back to what we know works for sure. We really wanted to try and make the 3D maps work, but it was too divisive. Some people liked it, others didn't.

• Haha
Reactions: azzazz

Cross Zero

Jun 12, 2018
snip

[...} he built the game under a system that, in short, every time he wanted to update the existing content in the game, he had to readjust The whole game practically given that when introducing the new content, the game unbalanced like a car after making any modifications to the engine.
So it's as I said: spaghetti code
c76904f05d92f2b45a3bccc45a3998f2.png

Reactions: UnNeXcOaSt

Teleiah

Nov 15, 2018
I actually feel like this new version is a downgrade from the 0.8...
Krystal's model from the deprecated game looks way better.

Launcher is great tho.

Reactions: dragonsix6969

whatever4096

Mar 23, 2018
Here we go again...

Guys, are you actually aware NOBODY has seen my code?

This story of the engine being a mess is old enough already and I've refuted that idea many times already.
Sorry if I offended. I was just making a joke and general comment. It wasn't meant to insult you. I was referring more to how people only care about results in the form of content and generally don't care about what's happening under the hood. It probably pushes some developers to forego good practices to get things done faster.

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
1595762368818.png

I bet Goebbels would've loved the internet.
This reminds of that dev of a game I used to follow, who gashed open his head and had a midlife crisis and disappeared - this quickly turned into 'the dev is recovering from brain damage' by people that can't read and parroted into Truth.

3.60 star(s) 32 Votes