alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
"...she draws her bow that not only screams that she has done this before..."

:KEK: :KEK: :KEK: This is literal first timer form. What is the point of the boob protector if she's going to hold the string a foot away from her chest?

View attachment 2438978
It's part of the eastern style of archery to hold it in a certain way, a way which is vastly different from western "European" archery (I know this from personal experience as someone who practiced western archery modified for my disability).

Reactions: Dragon59

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
It's part of the eastern style of archery to hold it in a certain way, a way which is vastly different from western "European" archery (I know this from personal experience as someone who practiced western archery modified for my disability).
I know that kyudo is more of an artistic style than it is competitive and they do hold it further away, but that's wayyy too far. Again, why the boob protector?

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I know that kyudo is more of an artistic style than it is competitive and they do hold it further away, but that's wayyy too far. Again, why the boob protector?
Probably in case the string or something else broke, those things hurt when they snap you on the skin like a rubber band (I had a tendency to somehow totally avoid the arm guard when I first started, it wasn't pleasant). Considering where the protector is in this case, that's an even more painful area to have the string, or worse another part of the bow, snap you on.

Ey, I've nothing much to say since I haven't played it again after being disappointed by recent events.
So I'm just gon' do my usual monthly wait and see if anything changes / good gets added and it finally stops trying to be scary for once.
A Denpa game not keep being scary?

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
Probably in case the string or something else broke, those things hurt when they snap you on the skin like a rubber band (I had a tendency to somehow totally avoid the arm guard when I first started, it wasn't pleasant). Considering where the protector is in this case, that's an even more painful area to have the string, or worse another part of the bow, snap you on.

That's the thing, it stopped being scary because it's trying way too hard now.
That's the disappointment.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
That's the thing, it stopped being scary because it's trying way too hard now.
That's the disappointment.
Yeah it comes across more creepy and disturbing than scary which I'm fine with.
Hp Lovecraft meets Saw only we haven't really gotten the Saw moments yet. (Saw wasn't scary. You can fight me on this. It was just gruesome and shock value disturbing, I still enjoyed it as a film though)
Not really scary compared to Fredy Kruger or Halloween don't really want it to be either. But I get you.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
No, man. It's because that's where the bowstring is supposed to go, because you're supposed to sight down the arrow as much as possible. Here are three pictures of proper form that one simple search on the subject showed. Notice how the boob protector is being compressed:

Kai-Japan-Matador-SEO-3395244678.jpg
kyudo-1024x680.jpg
maxresdefault-1272921103.jpg

Contrast that again with this. It's awful, which would be fine if she was still learning, if it weren't for the caption :KEK:

lul.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Bingoogus

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
Yeah it comes across more creepy and disturbing than scary which I'm fine with.
Hp Lovecraft meets Saw only we haven't really gotten the Saw moments yet. (Saw wasn't scary. You can fight me on this. It was just gruesome and shock value disturbing, I still enjoyed it as a film though)
Not really scary compared to Fredy Kruger or Halloween don't really want it to be either. But I get you.
Even the creepiness and disturbing parts went away, that was the best selling point for me tbh.
I don't give a dam- about any character development, I wanted the HAPPY SCENES.

All I'm seeing now is just Such bizarre imagery, much spooky.
And the absolute worst thing of all, BOOMING SOUNDS OUT OF NOWHERE.

This game isn't trying to make me feel disturbed, creeped out or scared.
It's making me wanna throw the game as hard as I can to the garbage bin out of sheer annoyance.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
The denpa stuff has absolutely no effect on me and although it did early on, all i experienced was irritation at it. Now it's just a case of "oh, happy scene, ok". It's either boring or beyond me and i rely on you guys to make sense of all the nonsense. I'm a pretty odd duck though, i don't really have any fear for anything in real life, outside of situations where someone is threatening me with physical violence i'm pretty mute about 'scary' shit (ghosts, spiders, aliens, etc.), the only stuff that ever really gets to me is the deeply existential shit which is a result of my having been completely depersonalised in a fugue state for 4 months many years ago... i've never 100% come back from it and always have a nagging doubt that any of this is real so things that can really stick onto that fact can mess me up, Doki Doki Literature Club was the last thing that did it to me (it's all a simulation)... anything that leaves you questioning the truth of our actual real reality can send my head spinning for days so in a way, denpa is a cute little 'babies first attempt' on training wheels kind of thing compared to what i've gone through.

Last edited:

Axismundi

Jul 14, 2018
Yeah it comes across more creepy and disturbing than scary
I feel like it's not even that creepy or disturbing anymore. But I feel like it's more of a problem with the length of the game than the game trying too hard. The game played its hand too early, so now most happy events come across as boring and tryhard rather than interesting. Familiarity breeds contempt after all.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
Even the creepiness and disturbing parts went away, that was the best selling point for me tbh.

It's making me wanna throw the game as hard as I can to the garbage bin out of sheer annoyance.
For me it switched at the remake. Before, the horror elements were mysterious, atmospheric, and plot focused, with a little bit of gross imagery and body horror thrown in to spice things up. The perfect dish! The happy scenes were also separated from the normal environment, but occurring over top of it in a way that felt like there was a second dimension to the real world that was happening, and there was a balance of power that prevented any of the deities from directly reaching over to the other side in order to maintain a degree of verisimilitude for the "subjects" in the real world. It was great!

Now, after the remake, the gross imagery and body horror has become the primary element - so now the dish just tastes like spice, and the happy scenery has leaked into the main setting so much that none of it feels real any more, it just feels more like a fake simulation where anything goes, which is unfortunate compared to where it was previously. It's not like it got this way over time, either - it was remade to start like this from the beginning.

I probably would have kept playing this game if I started post-remake, but I doubt I would have supported it as much as I did.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
For me it switched at the remake. Before, the horror elements were mysterious, atmospheric, and plot focused, with a little bit of gross imagery and body horror thrown in to spice things up. The perfect dish! The happy scenes were also separated from the normal environment, but occurring over top of it in a way that felt like there was a second dimension to the real world that was happening, and there was a balance of power that prevented any of the deities from directly reaching over to the other side in order to maintain a degree of verisimilitude for the "subjects" in the real world. It was great!

Now, after the remake, the gross imagery and body horror has become the primary element - so now the dish just tastes like spice, and the happy scenery has leaked into the main setting so much that none of it feels real any more, it just feels more like a fake simulation where anything goes, which is unfortunate compared to where it was previously. It's not like it got this way over time, either - it was remade to start like this from the beginning.

I probably would have kept playing this game if I started post-remake, but I doubt I would have supported it as much as I did.
That's a really good assessment of where I am at with the game too.
I still find it creepy but it lost a lot from the start and it's like hp Lovecraft light.

Reactions: vehemental

sam1234567

May 5, 2018
i haven't really been following this game in a while has the dev put the game on hold for a bit or something cause this game hasnt been updated since jan and usually it gets updated twice a month

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
No, man. It's because that's where the bowstring is supposed to go, because you're supposed to sight down the arrow as much as possible. Here are three pictures of proper form that one simple search on the subject showed. Notice how the boob protector is being compressed:

View attachment 2439905
View attachment 2439906
View attachment 2439907

Contrast that again with this. It's awful, which would be fine if she was still learning, if it weren't for the caption :KEK:

View attachment 2439925
I could see it being a bit low based on the last picture, the arrow should be cheek level, which is true in all archery styles more or less, at least that was the way I was taught. Also, that arrow is going to arc pretty drastically compared to the third picture, just look at the angle Uta is holding it at relative to the ground you can see behind her. The last time I shot an arrow from an angle like that, I sent my assistant (for collecting arrows because disability) to the far end of the range, luckily there was a berm to prevent the things from traveling out of the range.

I feel like it's not even that creepy or disturbing anymore. But I feel like it's more of a problem with the length of the game than the game trying too hard. The game played its hand too early, so now most happy events come across as boring and tryhard rather than interesting. Familiarity breeds contempt after all.
That's the kind of horror Denpa is. While more well known forms rely on jumpscares or creep factor, that's not how Denpa usually does it.

Separation from the normal environment, or at least what we came to think as normal, was always just a temporary thing. This is how Denpa uses that kind of element, it gradually blends until the normal IS the Denpa. Look at DDLC, a known Denpa game, as the game progressed, the world began to change more and more, characters started acting different, and it all blended until there was little to nothing of the 'normal' world left, such as in the case of the famous classroom scene with just Monika.

Last edited:
Reactions: LuisD and Bingoogus
4.20 star(s) 295 Votes