SweetHug

Jan 27, 2020
Hello friends. This game really hooked me and influenced me, and I decided to improve it... Improve it a lot... Remake)) For several months I have been developing a complete remake of this game on a completely different engine. I want to make the best version of this game. And today I would like to share with you, with the community, some of my developments. Teasers, if I may say so. It is very important for me to hear your opinion, your criticism, suggestions, ideas, whatever... I have a lot of ideas that I'm going to implement to improve your gaming experience. And if you like it, I will soon share all this with you. I hope you enjoy my work. P.S. Do not pay attention to inconsistencies in names, groups, avatars, content, dialogs. For now, it's just a design.
It looks very good, the interface of the game has always seemed very simple to me and I'm glad to see this.

I hope you don't give it up and good luck.

Reactions: Dimmuborrgir

anothersilo

Jun 2, 2021
Hello friends. This game really hooked me and influenced me, and I decided to improve it... Improve it a lot... Remake)) For several months I have been developing a complete remake of this game on a completely different engine. I want to make the best version of this game. And today I would like to share with you, with the community, some of my developments. Teasers, if I may say so. It is very important for me to hear your opinion, your criticism, suggestions, ideas, whatever... I have a lot of ideas that I'm going to implement to improve your gaming experience. And if you like it, I will soon share all this with you. I hope you enjoy my work. P.S. Do not pay attention to inconsistencies in names, groups, avatars, content, dialogs. For now, it's just a design.
Looks great so far! I agree with what others have said, that the best way to improve the game is to remove all the pointless grinding. I think a good way to do that is maybe just remove love/lust values and requirements altogether and show what we need to do to progress the story. I like what a bunch of other games on this site do, which is show a map of everywhere you can visit (instead of a few text boxes that say "mall", "shrine", "streets", etc.). You could visually show which characters are in each location that you can visit at any given time. And if a character has a new event, there can be some indication of that (like an exclamation point next to their picture on the map). That's the first thing I would do if I were remaking the game.

A couple other things I might change are to let major decisions be actual choices the player makes, instead of the order in which we do events (like good/bad homie, yumi knows, let ayane be taken advantage of by kirin, etc.). And also either dramatically improving puzzles or removing them entirely, especially since they only exist in the first place to "gatekeep people who don't want to put in the work" according to selebus. Also probably remove all of selebus' fourth-wall-break rants.

In a perfect world, I would dramatically reimagine all the happy scenes as well, to make them less frequent, shorter, and actually scary instead of tedious. But we don't really know enough about the nature of the happy scenes to know what's important and what isn't so that makes it hard.

Idk if you saw, but if you want to change any details and need new images, TheLastCrusade posted all the Koikatsu character cards so it shouldn't be difficult do.

As far as the UI designs you've posted, I LOVE the music player and texting screens. I'm not a huge fan of the glowing pink text in the text box. I love the way the contacts look, but honestly I would go with a grid because I hate having to scroll down to find the girl I'm looking for every time in the base game. I love that Uta's journal is in the game. A lot of the UI looks over-cluttred and 2(23) is definitely the worst offender. I'm not really sure that progress-filling-up-circle-ui-element-thing looks good anywhere you have it. When you have 3 of them in 2(11) they look too big and close together, but when you only have one of them in 2(12) it feels like there is a lot of empty space. When they are neon green and red it looks weirdly jarring. I'm obviously nitpicking at this point, but I would personally find different/better progress bars and also don't be afraid to make elements bigger and take up more space so they don't clutter the screen. Even with what you have now though, its a HUGE ui improvement over the base game.

I've always thought this game would REALLY benefit from a remake. The writing is so good, but its held back by such terrible game design. I'm really excited to see where this goes!

Reactions: FireCazador

er3z

May 14, 2022
Looks great so far! I agree with what others have said, that the best way to improve the game is to remove all the pointless grinding. I think a good way to do that is maybe just remove love/lust values and requirements altogether and show what we need to do to progress the story. I like what a bunch of other games on this site do, which is show a map of everywhere you can visit (instead of a few text boxes that say "mall", "shrine", "streets", etc.). You could visually show which characters are in each location that you can visit at any given time. And if a character has a new event, there can be some indication of that (like an exclamation point next to their picture on the map). That's the first thing I would do if I were remaking the game.

A couple other things I might change are to let major decisions be actual choices the player makes, instead of the order in which we do events (like good/bad homie, yumi knows, let ayane be taken advantage of by kirin, etc.). And also either dramatically improving puzzles or removing them entirely, especially since they only exist in the first place to "gatekeep people who don't want to put in the work" according to selebus. Also probably remove all of selebus' fourth-wall-break rants.

In a perfect world, I would dramatically reimagine all the happy scenes as well, to make them less frequent, shorter, and actually scary instead of tedious. But we don't really know enough about the nature of the happy scenes to know what's important and what isn't so that makes it hard.

Idk if you saw, but if you want to change any details and need new images, TheLastCrusade posted all the Koikatsu character cards so it shouldn't be difficult do.

As far as the UI designs you've posted, I LOVE the music player and texting screens. I'm not a huge fan of the glowing pink text in the text box. I love the way the contacts look, but honestly I would go with a grid because I hate having to scroll down to find the girl I'm looking for every time in the base game. I love that Uta's journal is in the game. A lot of the UI looks over-cluttred and 2(23) is definitely the worst offender. I'm not really sure that progress-filling-up-circle-ui-element-thing looks good anywhere you have it. When you have 3 of them in 2(11) they look too big and close together, but when you only have one of them in 2(12) it feels like there is a lot of empty space. When they are neon green and red it looks weirdly jarring. I'm obviously nitpicking at this point, but I would personally find different/better progress bars and also don't be afraid to make elements bigger and take up more space so they don't clutter the screen. Even with what you have now though, its a HUGE ui improvement over the base game.

I've always thought this game would REALLY benefit from a remake. The writing is so good, but its held back by such terrible game design. I'm really excited to see where this goes!
honestly i agree, this game is great but sometime i think its concept is limited by what renpy has to offer. also there are some improvements that would make it better by a mile, and I'm not talking about talking what exists and trying to polish it, but trying to add new things.

dantarium

Jul 25, 2020
i would agree with some of the things said so far, and if you dont mind i would like to tell you of 2 things i think could be good

one would, for example, that thing about telling weather skipping things would block you out of others. Maybe put a small warning in some events ( like the event Schrodinger idk how to spell it) about possible consequences to doing them before certain others (beach event)

i also agree with the idea of like, slightly highlighting important information about the fure, like the skulls in mayas room, the answers for lamb legs or the name of that president for tsuneyos question

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
First off: this work of yours, amazing. I'll give you a 11 out of 10 as-is already :ROFLMAO:

- For implementing hints, lazy people such as myself really like having exclamation mark right next to location/call/invite buttons once the requirements are fulfilled so I don't have to tap on and off guide or menu for checking (but I don't know if working UI outside of phone menu is a direction you are going)

- For warning potential missing events, I personally don't mind reading a text box if rearranging icons becomes too visually overwhelming to deliver the intended message, especially when the current ways to miss events already have some varieties.

Maybe putting a special icon next to those "potentially point of no return" events followed by short descriptions? So players can have second thoughts when progressing, or even before proceeding to such event.
Especially those events that seemingly don't have immediate consequences such as those Lock Events at the start of a chain (including the chain that makes Makoto unavailable for later stats grinding even after the chain finishes), certain decisions (choosing Miku during 2nd war for example), and the infamous yumiknows flag.

- Location seems nice, especially when trying to grind stats more efficiently. But since location pattern is mostly fixed, I think it'd be cool to know girls' phone call availability by just looking at the character icon (maybe with an extra green dot, or just online on the side). Saying this is because I remember myself desperately trying to call Tsubasa to get affection to 5 while not really knowing exactly when she is available.

Edit:
- Speaking of calls, is it possible to make a contact menu with call and invite right next to the photo so it saves an extra click? (god I am so lazy)

Sorry if I sound like asking you to stuff the entire wiki into a menu; what you have here is so sophisticated and aesthetic, something after my own heart!

If only we already have a lot of photosets to put that to good use
Also, it'd a little hilarious if you keep Sensei's battery always at low because it happened far too often LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: FireCazador

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
A more fancier, aesthetically pleasing, and compact version of the game does sound nearly irresistible. It definitely looks good and isn't just some derivative mess I'd expect. If this is a passion project of yours then it seems extremely worthwhile for other fans as well. Perhaps even Sel would be interested in it. I mean, I would be, if someone came along wanting to make my game prettier.

Reactions: Riolol

Riolol

Jan 14, 2021
A more fancier, aesthetically pleasing, and compact version of the game does sound nearly irresistible. It definitely looks good and isn't just some derivative mess I'd expect. If this is a passion project of yours then it seems extremely worthwhile for other fans as well. Perhaps even Sel would be interested in it. I mean, I would be, if someone came along wanting to make my game prettier.
Of course, Sel can surely only react positively to this... right? *Ominous music starts playing*

DeSkel15

Engaged Member
Sep 29, 2019
So, random, but what do you all think was happening in the trials for the girls back during 'Untitled'?

Long Maya mentioned that presumably the likes of Maya, Ayane, Yumi, and Tsuneyo were facing their own stuff while Sensei was answering questions:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Maybe they were being questioned with trivia involving Sensei? I can see Maya and Ayane passing that rather easily.

I'm also thinking Yumi didn't pass hers, hence the apparent reset and possible murder. Also maybe Tsuneyo as well, but I'm still waiting for confirmation from her that she actually doesn't remember the reset stuff. Maya claims she doesn't, but Maya isn't the most reliable person:
Tsuneyo also seemed somewhat unaffected by the reset compared to the other 3:
and she apparently remembers at least the third reset (or at least did):
Which was supposedly rewritten back then (The time Ayane didn't survive the roof):
So, her apparently surviving resets, and just not mentioning it for over a year isn't strange for her.

butterfly boy

Feb 13, 2023
Thanks for your feedback!

As for the grind points, I plan to make a difficulty level. At an easier level, there will be less grinding. Everyone can customize this for themselves.

Hints will also be implemented this way. In the event tracker (shown in one of the screenshots), you can see the status of the event, all the conditions necessary for it to start or skip, and what needs to be done to start the event. It is also planned to introduce contextual hints. For example, when an event starts, the player will be warned that passing it at the moment will entail skipping some events in the future. Choice options in events will also be highlighted. The player will know what choice to make in order not to miss some events in the future. Decryption of codes is also in the plans. There will be a button on the dialog panel. It will appear when the encrypted text is on the screen. And of course, clues for puzzles. I agree that this is an extremely necessary thing. It should be clarified that this guide mod will be optional. If the player doesn't want hints, they can turn it off.

Regarding colors, I also see imperfections in my work. Yes, a dark theme is planned, but work with color will also continue. Thanks again for your detailed feedback, it means a lot to me!
First of all, incredible job. The UI looks pretty polished already and I can't wait to see the final product. However, there are two main things I want to address:

1. The improved mechanics: It seems like you will be releasing this remake in multiple versions. If that's the case I think you should try to release these features first:
+ Guide, like current guide mod. Your current approach seems to be putting the entire wiki into the game, but it's still hard to navigate events this way. Meanwhile the guide mod already does this very well. I think you should work on making something like the guide mod in your remake first, and if anyone wants to view the full event information you can add them in a later update.
+ Skip puzzle and skip grind (No difficulty grind level and no puzzle hints yet).
+ In-game hex and Japanese decode.
and then release the rest of your ideas. Don't get me wrong, your ideas for difficulty grind level and puzzle hints are great but they are only minor improvements. The three points I make above would be massive improvements to the game and make it more accessible to new players.

2. UI usability improvements. To clarify, I am only talking about usability and not aesthetic in this section. I feel like Sel's current UI for girl info and event replay is really good already compared to yours. Here are some things I would improve:
+ I think if you want to put every extra options screen in the phone screen that's fine, but you should make the phone screen take up the entire screen by default. Especially when there's so many information to be displayed.
+ For the girl information screen, you put a lot of information there but only a few of them are regularly used, and if the information regularly used is at the bottom of the scroll bar you'd have to scroll there every time you need to see it. This is because of several reasons: some of the cards hold too few information (screen 12, 15, 16), the phone doesn't take up the entire screen (again, if you had more space you could reorganize the UI), and most of the time using fancy round progress bar is unnecessary. My solution is: Put only the most important information on top and make everything else optional. Again, Sel's girl info screen does this well already.
+ All the extra photo albums are great, though I feel like having the jukebox in game is a bit unnecessary? (This is just a nitpick)
+ For the event information screen, again, having every single info about an event in game would be great, but not really needed. The guide mod does a great job already. You should focus on making something like that and the event replay screen instead.

Last edited:

Angiboat

Jun 22, 2020
Including a translation for all the hexcode/japanese/binary and other coded stuff because this is a game not homework, what kind of player would be bored enough to try searching for it on google, especially the japanese script that you can't simply copy paste from the game.
Yeah, haha I wonder...

• Haha
Reactions: LuisD
4.20 star(s) 296 Votes