alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Yes, I've heard that on these forums, but I am not very familiar with Japanese games or anime tropes, nor have I played Doki Doki Literature Club. What are the key features of a Denpa game? All I can find online is this: .

Also, while I am thinking about it, does anybody know, or has Selebus said, why each of the characters have a first name and last name that start with the same letter? They tend to have a sing-song, rhyming quality. Is this common in Japan, or is Selebus trying to be humorus here? For those more familiar with Japanese names, do the last names of the characters have any significance?
That VNDB link basically sums it up. A horror story where the catalyst is familiar people acting in unfamiliar ways. Sensei is not acting like the Sensei the girls know, for example. Not sure about the name part.

Reactions: Smarmint

cckerberos

Jun 12, 2017
Also, while I am thinking about it, does anybody know, or has Selebus said, why each of the characters have a first name and last name that start with the same letter? They tend to have a sing-song, rhyming quality. Is this common in Japan, or is Selebus trying to be humorus here? For those more familiar with Japanese names, do the last names of the characters have any significance?
He's said he does it because it he likes it and it makes the names easier to remember.

None of their last names strike me as having any obvious significance and he's said not to worry about the kanji in the names because he's not good enough with kanji to do anything clever with them.

mannice431

Jun 14, 2017
What's this people were mentioning about purity routes? Is that some post-end content Selebus has planned?

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
What's this people were mentioning about purity routes? Is that some post-end content Selebus has planned?
Dark routes and Purity routes. Those are the end-game contents Selebus has planned for each main girl (not side girls), though they will be developed years from now when the game is much more complete. Judging by the names, the former routes might be LSD nightmares that end with miserable girls; purity routes would probably guarantee a happy ending for each girl :) Just speculation though; we will only know in the future.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
That VNDB link basically sums it up. A horror story where the catalyst is familiar people acting in unfamiliar ways. Sensei is not acting like the Sensei the girls know, for example. Not sure about the name part.
So....from the point of view of the people Sam Beckett saved, Quantum Leap was a Denpa series?
Oh boy!
"Easier to remember" is why nearly every character Stan Lee created has the same letter starting both names.
Whereas, having so many characters' names result in the initials, "L.L."--probably not as good!

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Dark routes and Purity routes. Those are the end-game contents Selebus has planned for each main girl (not side girls), though they will be developed years from now when the game is much more complete. Judging by the names, the former routes might be LSD nightmares that end with miserable girls; purity routes would probably guarantee a happy ending for each girl :) Just speculation though; we will only know in the future.
It might be happier, but I doubt it will be truly happy.

So....from the point of view of the people Sam Beckett saved, Quantum Leap was a Denpa series?
Oh boy!

Whereas, having so many characters' names result in the initials, "L.L."--probably not as good!
Not really

Okay... I'm fucking terrified. I don't think that losing all my good mood, having panic attack, having a heartache after playing game is a good thing... I was waiting for a hentai with plot, with some psychological problems and good characters, but instead had a HORROR with ELEMENTS of hentai.
I'm utterly fooking terrified...
Only once was I so terrified in my live and it was something I wish nobody ever would have to experience... And here I am playing some hentai game that gets me almost as much terrified if not worst.
Sorry but I deleted your game, it's not a bad game, it is me, the one who is simply not ready for games like this...
(Sorry about grammar, 1 its 6:00 right now, 2 my hands is shaking, 3 English is not my first language)
((And here I, Nekov, was getting proud of myself because, I, alone, completed SOMA late at night... SOMA is a child play compared with this...))
(((Should I take some pills...?)))
It's been said before, but this is more plot with hentai than hentai with plot. Unlike hentai games, the sex is not the focus of this game, the story is. SOMA is actually an entirely different kind of horror. Where SOMA goes for the jump scares and other standard horror tactics, this game goes for the psychological horror, which can sometimes be worse in intensity depending on the person playing. This game is most definitely not for everyone.

SmaugTheDragon

May 27, 2017
Where SOMA goes for the jump scares and other standard horror tactics, this game goes for the psychological horror, which can sometimes be worse in intensity depending on the person playing. This game is most definitely not for everyone.
Very much untrue, SOMA is primarily about existential horror and forcing the player to commit atrocities (though there are some jump-scares these are not the main part of it). There even is a game-play option to turn off death from enemies.
Very much recommend it, one of the best horror games out there.

Reactions: Nekovir

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Very much untrue, SOMA is primarily about existential horror and forcing the player to commit atrocities (though there are some jump-scares these are not the main part of it). There even is a game-play option to turn off death from enemies.
Very much recommend it, one of the best horror games out there.
All of those are more standard horror whereas Denpa focuses more on the psychological. As we've seen in the 'happy' scenes, for example. There's maybe one scene, the first, that fits standard horror as well, but the rest all focus on the psychological horror. This is what sets LiL horror elements, and Denpa elements in general, apart from something like Five Nights At Freddy's or SOMA horror elements. SOMA is more of a fight or flight inducing horror as is Five Nights, but LiL is not, it messes with you in a gradually increasing manner that will make you question things, but won't necessarily induce a fight or flight response.

Reactions: Ankoku and Nekovir

Ankoku

Apr 28, 2018
Okay... I'm fucking terrified. I don't think that losing all my good mood, having panic attack, having a heartache after playing game is a good thing... I was waiting for a hentai with plot, with some psychological problems and good characters, but instead had a HORROR with ELEMENTS of hentai.
I'm utterly fooking terrified...
Only once was I so terrified in my live and it was something I wish nobody ever would have to experience... And here I am playing some hentai game that gets me almost as much terrified if not worst.
Sorry but I deleted your game, it's not a bad game, it is me, the one who is simply not ready for games like this...
(Sorry about grammar, 1 its 6:00 right now, 2 my hands is shaking, 3 English is not my first language)
((And here I, Nekov, was getting proud of myself because, I, alone, completed SOMA late at night... SOMA is a child play compared with this...))
(((Should I take some pills...?)))
Glad you gave it a try at least, but I definitely don't blame you. I grew up playing all different types of horror games, and this is one of very few which actually kept me from getting any sleep at one point. If you do decide to play it again, make sure you brace yourself for the "Bluejay" event. Some of the previous ones gave me nightmares, but I couldn't sleep after seeing that one.

90210nyc

Apr 30, 2021
Last public update was August 14. In other words, it's been 11 days since the last public update? Mind you clarify how this is a "long time?"
The file date for 18.0 Part 2 is 8-3-2021 That is the current version in this thread. This is the 30th, so there should be at least one update since then if not two.
1630378239434.png

Yes it says 14th on Patreon, but I downloaded it from this thread long before that.

Ankoku

Apr 28, 2018
The file date for 18.0 Part 2 is 8-3-2021 That is the current version in this thread. This is the 30th, so there should be at least one update since then if not two.
View attachment 1380364

Yes it says 14th on Patreon, but I downloaded it from this thread long before that.
Sometimes updates don't work being broken up into parts 1 and 2. I don't know for sure, but this wouldn't be the first time Selebus has given 1, double-sized, update in a month rather than 2.

He generally releases new updates on the first and 15th of every month, so it wouldn't surprise me if 0.19.0 released on patreon tomorrow.

Reactions: alex2011

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
View attachment 1380364

The latest update was leaked here on the 3rd. It officially went public on the 14th.

Most of the time, new content is released twice a month. When the dev needs to take some time to attend to personal matters (which has happened exactly twice, with this month being one of them), or when the nature of the content works better as a single mega-update, we get one a month instead.

Next two updates are scheduled for 9/1 and 10/1 for patrons, official public release 9/15 and 10/15 for those updates. Yes, I fully expect they'll be leaked here well before those dates, but the dev isn't going to schedule around leaked dates, nor should anyone realistically expect him to.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ankoku and alex2011

Lolicon Kami

Nov 3, 2019
View attachment 1380364

I'm talking about the public version :) BTW, I recommend you don't pirate games from Selebus, as he works hard to make this game. Also, he's moving homes, so he took a two-week break this month.

akselx

Mar 29, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Is that mainly it? Does anyone else have any insight as to what is really happening?
That's pretty much it. I think Maya said that sometimes new people got transferred, but don't stay for long, meaning they don't carry over to the next iteration. That's the first time they had such a big class.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes