pawel101

Nov 16, 2018
Both good points, but what about the following? Sana's brother is actually dead, but attempted in legal terms means Uta's brother didn't succeed and Sana's brother would still be alive if he was the victim of that attempt. Unless, maybe he was the victim of multiple attempts, one of which was by Uta's brother that failed to kill him, the other by an unknown assailant that succeeded. He also could have been in Kumon-mi for some reason without residing there.
From a story perspective it would render the attempted murder kinda pointless to include. I'm sure though that some other character was likely involved but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Uta's brother. I'd more likely believe it was someone like Noriko or Yumi. Maybe even Maya if the part in baby finches where she starts talking like a serial killer can be taken at face value but that was a messed up scene. Also if the newest happy scene is talking about Maya being the homeless girl then it could add up. So far not enough info though.

Reactions: Antosha

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Uta specifically says he's in jail for attempted murder not murder. He tried to kill someone but didn't succeed. Also it likely happened out in the country and Sana's brother was killed in the city.
except! uta mentions always coming to the city as a kid to visit her... grandpa? w/e
if you have a GOOD lawyer, like scum of the earth lawyer, get him off on it under very specific situations... that or I watch waaaaaay to many crime drama's that don't reflect reality. selebus has mentioned he was trying to get a law degree at some point, would be crazy if he started phoenix wright'ing part of the story.

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
You watch too many crime dramas.

Edit:

To expand, you cannot really plead down or mitigate to attempted murder.

This is because attempted murder in most (all?) common law jurisdictions is treated with the same severity as murder.

Very basic criminal law lesson incoming:

A crime (usually) requires an actus reus (guilty act) and mens rea (guilty mind) to be a crime.

In the case of murder this would be the act of killing someone (guilty act) and the intent to do so (guilty mind).

If the intent does not exist you end up with manslaughter (or negligent homicide or whatever Americans call it). And we tend to treat that more leniently - you didn't mean to kill someone so you should not be punished the same as if you did.

The interesting question comes up where someone intends to kill but fails in the commission. Here someone has the guilty mind, they set about attempting to commit the worst crime a human can commit. However, through incompetence or the luck of their victim they failed.

The classic law school example (which also encompasses causation) is where someone in the desert replaces their victim's water canteen with poison but before the victim can drink it another murderer pours the poison away (thinking they were pouring away their victim's precious life giving water) leading to the victim dying of thirst. They're both murderers.

The first one just failed by chance and cannot argue "well I didn't ACTUALLY kill him so I'm cool" and the second cannot argue they saved the victim from death by poison (by killing the victim another way).

We treat this the same as if they were successful. It is no mitigation to say "I meant to kill the bastard your honour, but I let go of his throat too early and he survived. But you know, he's not dead so no harm no foul?"

The "scumbag lawyer" trope would have Uta's brother in for manslaughter.

I'm not going to get into how harmful it is to associate us with our clients. Please just don't.

Last edited:

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020

Edit:

This is because attempted murder in most (all?) common law jurisdictions is treated with the same severity as murder.

A crime (usually) requires an actus reus (guilty act) and mens rea (guilty mind) to be a crime.

In the case of murder this would be the act of killing someone (guilty act) and the intent to do so (guilty mind).

If the intent does not exist you end up with manslaughter (or negligent homicide or whatever Americans call it). And we tend to treat that more leniently - you didn't mean to kill someone so you should not be punished the same as if you did.

The interesting question comes up where someone intends to kill but fails in the commission. Here someone has the guilty mind, they set about attempting to commit the worst crime a human can commit. However, through incompetence or the luck of their victim they failed.

The classic law school example (which also encompasses causation) is where someone in the desert replaces their victim's water canteen with poison but before the victim can drink it another murderer pours the poison away (thinking they were pouring away their victim's precious life giving water) leading to the victim dying of thirst. They're both murderers.

The first one just failed by chance and cannot argue "well I didn't ACTUALLY kill him so I'm cool" and the second cannot argue they saved the victim from death by poison (by killing the victim another way).

We treat this the same as if they were successful. It is no mitigation to say "I meant to kill the bastard your honour, but I let go of his throat too early and he survived. But you know, he's not dead so no harm no foul?"

I'm not going to get into how harmful it is to associate us with our clients. Please just don't.
nah, I was thinking in terms of gets attempted murder and the lawyer can tell the kid wont make it so he steam rolls the legal proceedings and pleas out before the kid can die since you can't get charged multiple times over a crime. I am probably wrong as hell about that.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
From a story perspective it would render the attempted murder kinda pointless to include. I'm sure though that some other character was likely involved but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Uta's brother. I'd more likely believe it was someone like Noriko or Yumi. Maybe even Maya if the part in baby finches where she starts talking like a serial killer can be taken at face value but that was a messed up scene. Also if the newest happy scene is talking about Maya being the homeless girl then it could add up. So far not enough info though.
That's what I'm saying, Sana's brother did die to another person and Uta's brother couldn't have done it given his crime was attempted murder, not murder itself, but that doesn't rule out an attempt by Uta's brother that failed and landed him in jail. It was definitely an unknown person who ultimately succeeded. I could also see Noriko, she's just that kind of crazy. Yumi is possible, but the least likely of the three. She does show a tough side, but has yet to show a willingness to follow through with any violent act unless someone else she cares about is in danger, especially any that would result in death. Sana's brother doesn't sound like the type to endanger someone Yumi cares about, so I couldn't see her doing it for that reason. 'Happy' scenes typically can't be taken at face value, so definitely not Maya based on "Baby Finches," but if something comes up in the reality of the game to throw a similar suspicion on her, she could be considered on that evidence.

Edit:

It depends on where you get charged with whether it is called manslaughter or negligent homicide. I swear, sometimes, the states are just trying to make things difficult to understand.

nah, I was thinking in terms of gets attempted murder and the lawyer can tell the kid wont make it so he steam rolls the legal proceedings and pleas out before the kid can die since you can't get charged multiple times over a crime. I am probably wrong as hell about that.
That's not how plea deals work. At best, Uta's brother would get a reduced sentence, not a completely mitigated one. He would serve time in jail for the crime either way. That's just how severe that crime in particular is.

Cerpin

Jun 22, 2020
Causing grievous bodily harm tends to attract the same maximum sentences as murder for this reason.

"Not quite dead" is not getting you much in the way of a reduced sentence.

Darkkia

Jul 15, 2018
Por favor, necesito ayuda con la "Palabra del día". No hablo inglés y me resulta bastante difícil seguir la historia. He estado atrapado en este evento durante días.
¿Podrías decirme la solución? :llorar:

Please, I need help with 'Word of the day'. I don't speak English and it is making it quite difficult for me to follow the story. I've been stuck in this event for days.
Could you tell me the solution?

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Por favor, necesito ayuda con la "Palabra del día". No hablo inglés y me resulta bastante difícil seguir la historia. He estado atrapado en este evento durante días.
¿Podrías decirme la solución? :llorar:

Please, I need help with 'Word of the day'. I don't speak English and it is making it quite difficult for me to follow the story. I've been stuck in this event for days.
Could you tell me the solution?
Apologies, I'm answering in English and running it through Google translate, so the spanish may be horrible.

When the scene began, you got a screen with two birds on it, and a number. You were told to write it down. The word of the day is very clearly indicated on that screen. You should be able to restart the scene in the replay menu to see the screen again, but it's also available in the Game/Images/Misc folder if that doesn't work.

That screen answers 2 of the four questions you'll be asked. The rest are in a hidden scene you can see through the menus. You have to see the scene to progress, and it can be repeated infinitely, so I'll just say to pay attention to any words and numbers on the screen, even if what's happening on the screen is distracting.

----

Disculpas, estoy respondiendo en inglés y ejecutándolo a través del traductor de Google, por lo que el español puede ser horrible.

Cuando comenzó la escena, apareció una pantalla con dos pájaros y un número. Se le dijo que lo escribiera. La palabra del día se indica muy claramente en esa pantalla. Debería poder reiniciar la escena en el menú de reproducción para ver la pantalla nuevamente, pero también está disponible en la carpeta Juego / Imágenes / Miscelánea si eso no funciona.

Esa pantalla responde 2 de las cuatro preguntas que se le harán. El resto están en una escena oculta que puedes ver a través de los menús. Tienes que ver la escena para progresar, y se puede repetir infinitamente, así que solo diré que prestes atención a las palabras y números en la pantalla, incluso si lo que está sucediendo en la pantalla es una distracción.

Reactions: Darkkia

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
That's what I'm saying, Sana's brother did die to another person and Uta's brother couldn't have done it given his crime was attempted murder, not murder itself, but that doesn't rule out an attempt by Uta's brother that failed and landed him in jail. It was definitely an unknown person who ultimately succeeded. I could also see Noriko, she's just that kind of crazy. Yumi is possible, but the least likely of the three. She does show a tough side, but has yet to show a willingness to follow through with any violent act unless someone else she cares about is in danger, especially any that would result in death. Sana's brother doesn't sound like the type to endanger someone Yumi cares about, so I couldn't see her doing it for that reason. 'Happy' scenes typically can't be taken at face value, so definitely not Maya based on "Baby Finches," but if something comes up in the reality of the game to throw a similar suspicion on her, she could be considered on that evidence.
If Sana's brother was killed by another character, I wouldn't even think it's any of the above.

First candidate -- Sensei, previous iteration (not OG Sensei), during one of his mental breaks.

Actually, that's my only candidate.

SymbolicSalad

Jan 7, 2020
The distinction you're missing here is that if the game isn't already leaked by the two week mark, Selebus uploads it here himself. Yes, this site is overall good for him -- but only when there's a reasonable window between the Patreon launch and it appearing here for free to encourage people to sub (or to stay subbed). If it appears here within 2 hours of going live it generates substantially fewer subs for him, and any attempt to argue that as something that's good for him is going to fall flat.

Even a five day wait before leaking would probably end this constant bickering that happens every time there's an update.
This is very true but I also very much appreciate the leakers for what they do and how quickly they do it!

Reactions: Maldonny

Arato23

Apr 19, 2021
Have fun storming the castle! :ROFLMAO:

Do you know, that was exactly my first thought as well.
RIP Andre the Giant, I don't have a brute squad

but I'd make it happen, if only to tell Uta "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. T'would be a pity to damage yours."

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
If Sana's brother was killed by another character, I wouldn't even think it's any of the above.

First candidate -- Sensei, previous iteration (not OG Sensei), during one of his mental breaks.

Actually, that's my only candidate.
Another possibility, I'm still looking at Noriko and leaving the rest as possible suspects.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Another possibility, I'm still looking at Noriko and leaving the rest as possible suspects.
We know it happens several years before the game begins. This would mean all of the girls were likely 9 or 10 when it happened. To assume that any of them are responsible is....reaching, to say the least.

Now, I could see Yuki being the culprit -- battling with addiction, she might have mugged him for drug money, and that adds a lot of pathos with her now working in their bar.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Well, I just want to add that I think Selebus is very generous by releasing his game 2 weeks after the Patreon release, and I for one would not mind if it were never leaked before the Patron release. I guess the best of all worlds for devs would be if their game were here, to pick up fans, some of which become new Patrons, but there was a significant delay between Patron release, and it showing up here.

thegeo

Aug 10, 2017
Huh, im stuck on There is Nothing, I have completed every main and side girl's events... tried redownloading too and still nothing, wont trigger on Saturday. This is my save file

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes