barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Also, the medical room had like a dozen pill bottles marked "Watabe". That certainly seems like a sign of substance abuse.
Edit: Okay, now that I check it, it wasn't actually "like a dozen", it was three (out of five present), my bad. But that still seems like a lot. so the point stands.
Meanwhile, some of us are thinking "only 3, seems like it should be more"

3 Maintenance meds is not a lot, at all. Especially if someone is nurodivergent. Hell, at one point in my life I was up to 8.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
Feel like a fuckin idiot because I can't find the damn word of the day. Looked over the last happy scene over and over and tried 40 words with nothing. Guess this is where I end the game lol.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
soooo....
why does nodoka have to figure out what kind of familial relationship kirin and sensei have for her short stories when kirin already calls him daddy
LMAO

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I'll also add -- Rin went from pining for Chika to absolutely fixated on Otoha in the span of about 3 chords. Otoha is right to be worried about being a rebound, because that's a VERY whip-lashy bounce.
Indeed, it was most definitely a move of desperation.

I think my biggest problem with the update was how whiplashy Rin was, and how out of character she was, without any deviations in between. She went from 10 to 0 in an instant. Even in Denpa games, there's a buildup to that extremely erratic character break. Sayori, who starts out just late, needing to bum for food, to completely disregarding her appearance because she can't even sleep dealing with her own mental illness. Even in Denpa games, there's a sequence. To completely sequence break them is completely out of character for the genre itself. Kinda like what happened with Osako. There was nothing to lead to those events. It was erratic and contrived like I said. Even for the denpa formula, it was jarring.
There was buildup, she went for one girl, she got rejected, she became super depressed, again, and then she saw Otoha as a replacement target. This was not the same as what happened to get her fixated on Chika, she's now desperate to get rid of the feelings that got shot down once before by replacing them with new ones and she latched onto Otoha out of that desperation.

I know you're a superfan of sorts, but I'd still rather Sel's input on this ;)
I am in no way a superfan, I only get called one because I have yet to say anything bad, but that's entirely because I have yet to see anything that needs to be brought up because it was bad. I would have chimed in against the update myself if there was actually anything of concern, I am absolutely not afraid to tell Selebus he did something wrong.

As for getting his direct input, good luck, he tends to only come in on extremely rare occasions in an attempt to distance himself from F95 entirely because of the piracy thing, so you're not likely to get that input from him.

Yeah, I understand you, dude, and I'm a little concerned myself. But I still think that with Rin there were some more subtle clues, which we may not have picked on the first sight. People in this thread already pointed some out. As for Osako, that's harder to justify, but I think it'll be explained in the next updates (but in my opinion too that wasn't a very good decision)

Anyway, we can't look into Selebus's head, so we can't be sure if it was a misstep or part of greater plan, like, I dunno, making the pace intentionally erratic to emphasize the decay of the world.
So far Selebus hasn't betrayed my expectations and I want to hope and believe that he knows what he's doing.
That's exactly what I'm thinking, that rejection seems to have done more harm than we thought and some of us already thought it did a lot. She's now desperate to be loved and that latched her onto Otoha more than it did Chika since that was a normal crush. Then Molly comes in at the absolute worst possible time and Rin snaps at her.

I would say it was probably part of a greater plan, we have already seen signs of the world beginning to crumble with "Bluejay" and similar.

Is this in reference to
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Wakana's only been telegraphing that since her first appearance.
Indeed, some of us apparently just didn't notice the signs, which to be fair aren't that easy to pick up on, that's why most attempts in real life that are actually carried out make it to being carried out before someone can intervene, because nobody notices that the person is that far gone until they are either dead or have attempted to become that way and failed.

Yep, there was just no direct premise for it in recent events, at least I haven't noticed one. That's why it was a little strange and out of place for me.
That's just it, you didn't notice, most people probably didn't, which is understandable since people who intend to go through with something like this don't necessarily telegraph it in a way everyone will notice.

I would agree with this, she sees Rin is desperate, she sees Rin isn't likely to focus only on her. That's one reason why she gets weirded out at first. She's definitely doing this as a preventative measure, not out of actual feelings for Rin. To be honest, I would do the same if only as a stop gap measure to keep the person from doing harm to themselves or others while I try to find her help.

Except there was.

Indeed, the writing wasn't exactly on the wall, but there were signs. I mean, come on, jello stew is an instant red flag to me, but may just be a symptom of a lack of cooking skill to other people.

Yeah, I read that earlier and I agree with your words, that's why I said that "I" didn't notice. I'm not the most observant person, and two weeks/months gap is enough for me to forget some details.

All I want to say, is that it's too early to jump to conclusions and say "bad writing", "genius planning" etc. after one or two "controversial" updates. We don't have the full picture to judge, future updates will show us who was right.
To be fair, not many do or they do notice and attribute it to another thing entirely.

Rin behaving as she did was not out of character at all. With how hard she was pining for Otoha and how much she was concentrating on a confession, all exacerbated by her mental issues, she probably quite literally doesn't have the mental wherewithal to pay attention to anything other than that. Also, suffering from something in the past doesn't actually mean you'll automatically be super-empathetic to people suffering from the same thing now. So yeah, Rin was fairly shitty to Molly in this update and in a few before it, that doesn't mean that her character was ruined, it just means she is a flawed human being who can hurt others, even if not on purpose.
Exactly, her mind is already stretched thin dealing with her attempt to get rid of lingering feelings for Chika, her second confession, brooding over what could happen if she fails again, stuff like that. Not to defend Rin, that was absolutely a shitty move and I find myself disappointed, not in Selebus, but in Rin herself for acting this way, but Molly chose the absolute worst possible moment to come in with that. Her timing definitely contributed to the reaction she got from Rin, but Rin still went way too far. Still, I can't say I'm to the point I was with player Sensei doing what he did with Miku, I was absolutely furious at him doing that, but I can't say the same this time about Rin. She made a mistake and she'll live to regret it later.

That was totally in character for Rin man... she always comes off as adhd with a mix of mild bipolar which is very whiplashy. extreme highs and extreme lows with no real inbetween for bipolar, poor judgement and impulsive actions being common for those with adhd.
I'm not too sure about being bipolar, but depression DOES have angry outbursts and irritability listed as symptoms that can trigger even over small things. This is and always has been a possibility with Rin and we are just now seeing that possibility happen.

Also, the medical room had like a dozen pill bottles marked "Watabe". That certainly seems like a sign of substance abuse.
Edit: Okay, now that I check it, it wasn't actually "like a dozen", it was three (out of five present), my bad. But that still seems like a lot. so the point stands.
Meanwhile, some of us are thinking "only 3, seems like it should be more"

3 Maintenance meds is not a lot, at all. Especially if someone is nurodivergent. Hell, at one point in my life I was up to 8.
I have more than that, all prescribed, though none for anything she might need to treat.

Being rejected by Otoha might have ended in a similar fashion to Osako x Wakana, just saying. That girl was at extreme levels of desperation with having been rejected once already by Chika and her depression doesn't help, especially with it having led to a history of self harm.

yes but now we have a molly consolation prize I guess.

ANYWAY
lets talk about the real issues here people
View attachment 1437780

MIKU WEARS JNCO JEANS

View attachment 1437781

did selebus do this on purpose because miku is self conscious about her thighs and doesn't want sensei looking at them anymore so he would look at makoto more?
Probably more of a 'Koikatsu is very limited' thing than anything else. I see similarities, but look at her thighs just below the bottom orange stripe on her jacket, your picture doesn't have side pockets, but her pants do.

Give it time. This isn't gonna be a happy ending for Rin.
HOPEfully, this girl needs all the help she can get. I just hope she doesn't fall to the Denpa genre DDLC style before then.

soooo....
why does nodoka have to figure out what kind of familial relationship kirin and sensei have for her short stories when kirin already calls him daddy
LMAO
Because she's weird like that, remember, this is the girl who came into the game with haikus left and right to Wakana's chagrin, mostly of a sexually explicit nature.

Luizodia

Dec 2, 2018
Can people actually die in this game? I mean,
And even if someone actually end up dying, won't she comeback after the next world reset?

ansc

Jan 16, 2018
Rin, Otoha, Chika:

Rin immediately finding a new object to idealize post-Chika does not strike me as un-realistic.

What does is her magnanimous attitude towards Chika.
Rin appears to have Borderline Personality Disorder, which contains a pattern of idealization and devaluation.
Chika's rejection would spur contempt directed toward Chika, not just Rin herself.

I dont blame the story for not showing this, or other nasty realities of the various mental conditions
the rest of the cast has. Many of those characters would be despicable.

As an aside; many of the girls seem to have BPD and there is a noted (ultimately tragic and destructive) attraction between BPD women and narcissists (such as Sensei).

Wakana:

The update:

I agree with most of the criticisms and yet it is also true that this is one of the best updates.
Why? Because there is so much story content and not all that boring sex stuff.

(mostly kidding... its the lack of grinding)

The big picture:

I have to give Sel alot of credit for keeping the quality as high as it is with SO many characters.
It is not going to be as good as it would have been with less, but nobody has been flanderized yet.

Ultimately though, it is more or less being hampered by the medium itself and the expectations of great
length and quantity of content (just like my cock)
versus a tight and concise story.

Keeping it focused on that and the surrounding plot would have been ideal but the train has already left the station.

(And its still a pretty cool train, at the moment)

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
And even if someone actually end up dying, won't she comeback after the next world reset?
It is entirely possible and we aren't entirely sure how the resets work. Makoto didn't actually die, she almost did, but she hadn't hit the ground yet by the end of that event before things got reset moments later. The thing is, if a character is already dead when a reset happens, we don't know if they are included in the reset or if that death excludes them from being reset and, if the latter, we don't know how it affects the other people being reset given we do know some of them have some degree of memories from the previous cycle. Then there's how it would affect the two that remember everything, Maya and player Sensei, how would it affect them knowing they witnessed either the actual death of one of the girls or the aftermath of it only for that very same girl to be standing there alive and well or for the girl to have disappeared entirely. We don't know, but I have a VERY bad feeling we will find out eventually on all of this and what we find won't be positive. This is genuinely giving me that feeling in my gut when I know something bad is about to happen. I am extremely uneasy around the prospect of potential, or worse confirmed, character death. Selebus has definitely been playing with my emotions on an extreme level over the last several updates.

Rin, Otoha, Chika:

Rin immediately finding a new object to idealize post-Chika does not strike me as un-realistic.

What does is her magnanimous attitude towards Chika.
Rin appears to have Borderline Personality Disorder, which contains a pattern of idealization and devaluation.
Chika's rejection would spur contempt directed toward Chika, not just Rin herself.

I dont blame the story for not showing this, or other nasty realities of the various mental conditions
the rest of the cast has. Many of those characters would be despicable.

As an aside; many of the girls seem to have BPD and there is a noted (ultimately tragic and destructive) attraction between BPD women and narcissists (such as Sensei).

Wakana:

The update:

I agree with most of the criticisms and yet it is also true that this is one of the best updates.
Why? Because there is so much story content and not all that boring sex stuff.

(mostly kidding... its the lack of grinding)

The big picture:

I have to give Sel alot of credit for keeping the quality as high as it is with SO many characters.
It is not going to be as good as it would have been with less, but nobody has been flanderized yet.

Ultimately though, it is more or less being hampered by the medium itself and the expectations of great
length and quantity of content (just like my cock)
versus a tight and concise story.

Keeping it focused on that and the surrounding plot would have been ideal but the train has already left the station.

(And its still a pretty cool train, at the moment)
No, if this had been a normal break up or rejection, it would have been a little iffy, but Rin's attempts after being rejected by Chika are anything but normal. Something is very very wrong with that girl starting after the first beach event and that puts her in a very dangerous position.

She may care about Chika too much to hold contempt for her, remember, she's dealing with feelings she still technically has for Chika even now.

I don't think we are out of the woods as far as showing the nasty side of these issues, some haven't even had their issues mentioned, so things can still get worse, much worse, and we could still see those nasty aspects.

I haven't seen anyone with BPD yet, at least none among the girls whose issues are known. Rin herself has depression, which like BPD, can cause things like snapping at Molly.

Definitely agree on Wakana's attempt being in character, though I disagree that doing it where she did is out of character. Suicidal people may not necessarily choose an ideal place, they want to get it over with as quickly as possible, which may mean in a place like in the game.

I actually tend to disagree with the criticisms, not because I'm a superfan as has been claimed, but because a lot of it has been built up to since the beginning. What may seem disconnected previously is actually likely to be a contributing factor to current events, what may seem out of character isn't necessarily when you take their disorder and the genre of the game into account. Some said Rin snapping at Molly was out of character, but her depression does leave her prone to things like that. Depression might not manifest in that way, but it can and it did with her.

Indeed, this is a massive project for a one man developer. I do disagree with the second part, I don't believe the number of characters would have any effect. Normally, with a large cast, the problem is that developers get burnt out rather quickly, meaning we would have already seen quality drops on a significantly larger scale. Selebus has taken steps against that.

Again, I do have to disagree on the medium. I think Renpy and the VN style were ideal for this project because the focus is less on gameplay and more on writing, which is what Selebus wants.

I'm not so sure about that second spoiler, I mean there are signs, but I wouldn't say star crossed or that it could never happen. In fact, I do think it will eventually, though it may be less getting back together as it used to be and more Maya gives up and just submits to being with the Sensei she has now lest she lose him entirely.

I also disagree with focusing on this, that's far too narrow a focus for this big a cast.

Reactions: JohnnyRazer

soceod

Jul 6, 2017
I love this game because the girls are so well wrtten and full of personality but I hate this game because god damn it hurts to to keep seeing them getting hurt.

I know this is a denpa game and all but I am still holding out hope that there could be a happy ending for everyone somehow.

Reactions: crustlord12

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Probably more of a 'Koikatsu is very limited' thing than anything else. I see similarities, but look at her thighs just below the bottom orange stripe on her jacket, your picture doesn't have side pockets, but her pants do.
NO, YOU WILL NOT TAKE THIS FROM ME!
I am so hopping there is a JNCO Jeans advertisement in the future done by selebus
also there are different styles of JNCO Jeans the only trademark look is they look like a denim dress but for each leg individually. and maybe the company logo somewhere but not all the time.

miku seduced sensei with all her talk about rubbing thighs and then when she realized it worked she now covers them up with the baggiest most ridiculous pair of jeans invented so she doesn't Clam Jam her best friend. srsly you can't even run correctly in those kind of jeans and thats all miku does

Last edited:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I love this game because the girls are so well wrtten and full of personality but I hate this game because god damn it hurts to to keep seeing them getting hurt.

I know this is a denpa game and all but I am still holding out hope that there could be a happy ending for everyone somehow.
Happier I could see, but at this point in time, I can in no way see a happy ending. That might changee, I just don't have enough evidence to support it being a possibility at this time. As it looks now, and that's mostly because we are on a route that isn't going to be happy as pretty much confirmed by Selebus, it doesn't look like happy is possible.

I know, it hurts to watch all this. Poor Rin is suffering immensely at this point and poor Molly is getting the brunt of the result of that suffering.

NO, YOU WILL NOT TAKE THIS FROM ME!
I am so hopping there is a JNCO Jeans advertisement in the future done by selebus
also there are different styles of JNCO Jeans the only trademark look is they look like a denim dress on each leg. and maybe the company logo somewhere but not all the time.

miku seduced sensei with all her talk about rubbing thighs and then when she realized it worked she now covers them up with the baggiest most ridiculous pair of jeans invented so she doesn't Clam Jam her best friend.
Hey, he did do a Raid ad, he could do one for JNCO Jeans. As for the appearance, true.

sethwrdn

Nov 11, 2017

Sel has talked in the past about his plans. Iirc, you have the opening segement (where we are now), the dark path where everything goes poorly, and then once you've failed miserably and hurt everyone around you, you will unlock the purity paths, which is an indepth path for each girl with a happier ending. He also said that the purity path, iirc, are non-exclusive. With what we know now, it seems like it might be some kind of seperate reset for each girl. Then, potentially when you've done each path, you get to a true ending.

Reactions: alex2011

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Bluejay happened right before a reset, which made it more fudgeable. If it happened earlier -- early enough to be remembered by anyone other than Sensei, it might be permanent, this hasn't been established.

Maya has said she's seen people disappear forever before.

And personality wipes, which we know Sensei is subject to, and it's been hinted Maya is as well, is a form of death.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Indeed, some of us apparently just didn't notice the signs, which to be fair aren't that easy to pick up on, that's why most attempts in real life that are actually carried out make it to being carried out before someone can intervene, because nobody notices that the person is that far gone until they are either dead or have attempted to become that way and failed.
Even as someone who's been through it, the signs only become apparent after the fact.

"I want to die" could be a catch phrase played for laughs, or it could be a statement of intent. We had all assumed it was a catch phrase played for laughs. Turns out we were wrong.

Indeed, the writing wasn't exactly on the wall, but there were signs. I mean, come on, jello stew is an instant red flag to me, but may just be a symptom of a lack of cooking skill to other people.
Sarcasm aside, jello stew in itself is just a mistake, and most of us would shrug and move on with our lives.

But if you're in a depressive state and trying to do something nice for the one person who brings you any joy in your life, when that effort blows up so spectacularly, it's the end of the fucking world and can kick off a death spiral.

The theme of this update is "Why does everything hurt so much?" We're asked this during the introduction. It's repeated by the shadow figure when we see Sara looking distraught. A large narrative focus is on Molly's pain, but Io's is also alluded to in the finale, Rin's pain from the last beach update looms over most of the interactions she's in, etc.

It really feels that we're transitioning into the dark phase of the story now, and I fully expected Wakana's overdose to be fatal, and was almost disappointed when Selebus pulled the punch at the very end.

I suspect that is the last time he'll be so kind to our heartstrings.

JohnnyRazer

Sep 15, 2020
Damn, OK, it seems I was mostly wrong in my criticism, thanks for pointing out some unobvious moments.

The theme of this update is "Why does everything hurt so much?" We're asked this during the introduction. It's repeated by the shadow figure when we see Sara looking distraught. A large narrative focus is on Molly's pain, but Io's is also alluded to in the finale, Rin's pain from the last beach update looms over most of the interactions she's in, etc.
I'm really interested in Uta's development, seeing her kinda melancholic look often in recent updates. It's not as fleshed out as the girls you mentioned and there is no clear reason (at least I don't remember, curse my memory again!), that's why I'm quite curious how it will explode later.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
bro I don't mean it in a bad way, you literally respond to every post though in massive comments :ROFLMAO: superfan
I didn't think you did, I'm just saying that isn't really a good description for it, I would say someone who is a superfan really wouldn't say anything bad even with blatant issues. As for the massive comments, that's usually due to multiple points to cover in a single comment, a ton of comments, or both.

Sel has talked in the past about his plans. Iirc, you have the opening segement (where we are now), the dark path where everything goes poorly, and then once you've failed miserably and hurt everyone around you, you will unlock the purity paths, which is an indepth path for each girl with a happier ending. He also said that the purity path, iirc, are non-exclusive. With what we know now, it seems like it might be some kind of seperate reset for each girl. Then, potentially when you've done each path, you get to a true ending.
Indeed, though happier doesn't necessarily mean happy, so players should definitely brace themselves just in case.

Bluejay happened right before a reset, which made it more fudgeable. If it happened earlier -- early enough to be remembered by anyone other than Sensei, it might be permanent, this hasn't been established.

Maya has said she's seen people disappear forever before.

And personality wipes, which we know Sensei is subject to, and it's been hinted Maya is as well, is a form of death.
It could also be that, since no reset has happened after someone has definitely died, no deaths have carried over. So far, that is my theory. We never saw Makoto die, it literally reset while she was in mid air, so she was carried over. What Maya may have witnessed, may because she never confirmed the state of the people who disappeared right at the time of the reset, could have been a person who had died within the cycle that was resetting and then the reset didn't carry them over because it only carries over living subjects.

Even as someone who's been through it, the signs only become apparent after the fact.

"I want to die" could be a catch phrase played for laughs, or it could be a statement of intent. We had all assumed it was a catch phrase played for laughs. Turns out we were wrong.

Sarcasm aside, jello stew in itself is just a mistake, and most of us would shrug and move on with our lives.

But if you're in a depressive state and trying to do something nice for the one person who brings you any joy in your life, when that effort blows up so spectacularly, it's the end of the fucking world and can kick off a death spiral.

It really feels that we're transitioning into the dark phase of the story now, and I fully expected Wakana's overdose to be fatal, and was almost disappointed when Selebus pulled the punch at the very end.

I suspect that is the last time he'll be so kind to our heartstrings.
Indeed, the signs are there, but often go unnoticed. I am actually not too sure on that phrase myself, it might have been a mix of both. At first it might have been for laughs, but then later it got into intent territory and it went unnoticed by Osako until the attempt.

Are we so sure it was just a mistake, I took it as a sign something was off, but it was more because I know what kind of game this is that tipped me off to that sign than anything. I am in no way an expert in that field and would definitely be in the same situation around a real person going through it because I have no outside factor in real life to tip me off. I was on my guard in game, that is almost never true in real life.

Yeah, I can imagine how the severity of such a simple mistake could blow out of proportion in the eyes of the depressed. They feel they have to be more than perfect around the people they care about so those people don't leave them behind, which obviously isn't going to happen, but in the mind of a depressed person, they will.

Indeed, there was a nice big helping of pain this update, and helplessness because there's nothing we can do at the moment to soothe that pain. I haven't felt like that this bad in a while and this game is the one thing that causes it.

I think we are, things are snowballing into bad time territory real freaking fast now. It may be only a couple updates before something extremely bad, not ruling out actual character death, happens.

He's been generous up to this point, and that's including moments where he really was messing with us. I am both excited and thoroughly dreading what comes next. I'm not sure how I'll be able to handle something really bad, I honestly wasn't expecting it so soon, but I must push forward. I cannot, no, I won't let the prospect of the really bad stuff scare me off.

Damn, OK, it seems I was mostly wrong in my criticism, thanks for pointing out some unobvious moments.

I'm really interested in Uta's development, seeing her kinda melancholic look often in recent updates. It's not as fleshed out as the girls you mentioned and there is no clear reason (at least I don't remember, curse my memory again!), that's why I'm quite curious how it will explode later.
She's one of the ones where we don't yet know what is wrong, but we will know in time. Knowing Selebus, it will explode in our faces in grand fashion, causing a much more severe reaction than just revealing her issue.

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Yeah, she's really good at masking it, which is to be expected given where she works (I don't think sad maids make good tips), but there's definitely something there. She alludes to it in one of her private scenes with Io, and I am looking forward to the time we get to explore that.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes