barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
Patreon seems like they're fine if the censored version of the game is renamed differently. PinkTea's shit patreon version is called Realms of Bondage, the uncensored subscribestar version's called Slaves of Passion. Another studio also got patreon's approval to name their game Rampager, and then release an uncensored version on subscribestar called Ravager.

So who knows. Maybe selebus can rename the patreon version Lessons in Dove (turning the April fools joke intro reality) and just continue to publish the uncensored version as Lessons in Love :p
Another tactic I've seen used is that the Patreon version only has the scenes that pass their muster. Rather than include sanitized versions of the offending scenes, they're just not in the Patreon version at all. Other locations have the full version, and you put a patch on lewdpatcher to add the missing content.

That avoids the need to produce two distinct versions of those scenes at the cost of the Patreon version being shorter, with potentially narrative gaps due to cuts.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Another tactic I've seen used is that the Patreon version only has the scenes that pass their muster. Rather than include sanitized versions of the offending scenes, they're just not in the Patreon version at all. Other locations have the full version, and you put a patch on lewdpatcher to add the missing content.

That avoids the need to produce two distinct versions of those scenes at the cost of the Patreon version being shorter, with potentially narrative gaps due to cuts.
Adding to this, the patch cannot be associated clearly with the developer, they don't like that, either. That said, this tactic I have not seen getting hit with further action as opposed to making two different versions, probably because those games that go the patch route tend to have fans that are good at keeping secrets.

Vizer007

Oct 15, 2019
The only downside with Lewdpatcher is that it can't really be stated on the platforms that the patch is there. And Selebus can't really give a link himself. Maybe create a double with mods rights that will post it in pins somewhere?
"Its not me, its the fans! What? My wife can be a fan alright!" or something among those lines.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
The only downside with Lewdpatcher is that it can't really be stated on the platforms that the patch is there. And Selebus can't really give a link himself. Maybe create a double with mods rights that will post it in pins somewhere?
"Its not me, its the fans! What? My wife can be a fan alright!" or something among those lines.
Very true, I forgot Lewdpatcher is kind of a no go topic off of sites like F95. Selebus definitely can't link to it himself, that would be suicide for LiL because then Patreon would connect the dots and shut him down without a chance to remove it and fix the violation. In fact, hypothetically we would have to be very secretive ourselves just to make sure he doesn't get outed as the maker if he did go that route. Patreon has a tendency to lurk on other sites for enforcement reasons.

args48

Jun 12, 2020
I closed my Patreon last month and switched to SS. I even emailed support and told them why and that I am against censorship. Don't make a censored version, it's a waste of development time. Stop supporting patreon, move off the platform entirely and encourage other adult creators to do the same. You might have a month or two off reduced income, but SS is a far better platform and should be the norm. Most your fans will just switch to SS in time.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I closed my Patreon last month and switched to SS. I even emailed support and told them why and that I am against censorship. Don't make a censored version, it's a waste of development time. Stop supporting patreon, move off the platform entirely and encourage other adult creators to do the same. You might have a month or two off reduced income, but SS is a far better platform and should be the norm. Most your fans will just switch to SS in time.
To be fair, he doesn't have much choice in whether he makes a censored version, only how he makes it. Patreon is his biggest funding source by a significant margin from what I understand, so he can't lose it until his patrons make the move to SubscribeStar assuming they do at all. I believe he said something like 60% of his income for the game could be lost if he loses Patreon.

For the record, I do agree with you entirely, it's just not entirely feasible to quit full stop right now. His best bet is to urge people to use SubscribeStar, both new and existing patrons, and hope that they migrate on their own. Then, if and when that happens, make the full switch once the majority of his income is on SubscribeStar.

Deleted member 1697433

Lessons in Love
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2019
Despite Patreon being lame, this censorship is a great opportunity to make the most ridiculous, blatantly censored game possible. Which is also great since I've had tons of people who don't like sexual content ask me about a version without any and I can finally give them one.

Here are some excerpts from the upcoming Patreon version.

The Ayane nurse office scene:
1638459296701.png

The second Ayane x Kirin scene:
1638459346788.png

Ami's virginity scene:
1638459378484.png

It's a shitty situation, but I'm trying to make the most of it and have some fun in the process. Patreon's community guidelines specifically cite Nabokov's "Lolita" as acceptable content and they've already contradicted that by informing me there can't be any dialogue relating to sex with "young looking girls." My initial proposal was just deleting all of the NSFW art and keeping the dialogue from later scenes in and they said that wouldn't suffice, so...here we are. A brand new hugging, ghost fighting, Monopoly playing simulator from the developer of Lessons in Love.

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
Despite Patreon being lame, this censorship is a great opportunity to make the most ridiculous, blatantly censored game possible. Which is also great since I've had tons of people who don't like sexual content ask me about a version without any and I can finally give them one.

View attachment 1527686

View attachment 1527687

Ami's virginity scene:
View attachment 1527688

It's a shitty situation, but I'm trying to make the most of it and have some fun in the process. Patreon's community guidelines specifically cite Nabokov's "Lolita" as acceptable content and they've already contradicted that by informing me there can't be any dialogue relating to sex with "young looking girls." My initial proposal was just deleting all of the NSFW art and keeping the dialogue from later scenes in and they said that wouldn't suffice, so...here we are. A brand new hugging, ghost fighting, Monopoly playing simulator from the developer of Lessons in Love.
So, for those of us who are Patreon subscribers but don't use Discord, how will we get patches to fix this (if at all)? Should we just move to SS?

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

View attachment 1527686

View attachment 1527687

Ami's virginity scene:
View attachment 1527688

Now that is hilarious, still wish it wasn't the result of big brother Patreon, a reference to their lurking on other sites to enforce their rules, but this seems like it's going to be something special.

So, for those of us who are Patreon subscribers but don't use Discord, how will we get patches to fix this (if at all)? Should we just move to SS?
For the record, I would recommend switching, yes, but it will likely make its way here at some point. This is, of course, assuming a patch is made, but I have no doubt somebody will, just not Selebus because Patreon would see that as unwillingness to cooperate and terminate his page entirely.

I am in no way affiliated with any third party uncensorship patches but if one were to exist I imagine it would be hosted on the Wiki.
Or this, that works, too.

niconob92

Jul 16, 2017
I've been wondering for quite some time when patreon would be falling on this game for the incest and all that (specially since it's not an unknown game made by a no name creator and all). Turns out they fell on the game and not because of the incest but because of how young characters look lmao.

I'm really sorry you have to face all this Selebus, specially since you were about to take a vacation and all this drops on you. Wish you the best and be strong man!

trdx

Aug 10, 2018
From what he said on the discord, the issue isn't just with the incest: the issue is that Koikatsu's art style kind of inherently makes all the girls young-looking. They weren't saying "make it not a niece," they were saying "make all of this art look less young" (kind of like what happened with Runey in Harem Hotel, except for every character and not just Ashley). Which is obviously impossible to do, so his current plan (which might change) is to instead turn the Patreon version into a SFW version, but in a really obvious way that makes it clear that it was censored: all the sex scene art will be replaced with stock images and the text be changed to be about Sensei hugging, and Ami will be your [REDACTED] instead of your niece. Subscribestar and Itch.io will not be changed, and patches will exist to convert the SFW versions into the full version.

It sucks that patreon is forcing him to do this shit instead of working on 21p2, but whatever.
Patreon can say that it's not enough and that he is just circumventing the rules. Recently people can get banned and punished for things they are doing on other platforms. Remember that they can refuse a project for no reason at all.

Samknowsall

Jan 12, 2021

View attachment 1527686

View attachment 1527687

Ami's virginity scene:
View attachment 1527688

Will we still see the "XXX girl's lust has increased!" message in the censored version? Could see that potentially being used against you if we do see that.

Ponyboy451

Feb 27, 2018
Sorry to see Patreon being Patreon. This prudish stance on fiction is so draconian. I switched support over to SubscribeStar, and encourage anyone genuinely invested in the game to do the same. Censorship is inherently self-defeating. Hope you aren't impacted too much by this nonsense, Selebus!

Reactions: crustlord12

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I've been wondering for quite some time when patreon would be falling on this game for the incest and all that (specially since it's not an unknown game made by a no name creator and all). Turns out they fell on the game and not because of the incest but because of how young characters look lmao.

I'm really sorry you have to face all this Selebus, specially since you were about to take a vacation and all this drops on you. Wish you the best and be strong man!
I actually wasn't sure if they would given the very beginning seems to play it off as if the MC isn't actually Ami's uncle, but someone else inhabiting his body. IT isn't until later in the game that the potential for this to just be a different version or side of her uncle is explored and Patreon isn't known for diving deep into games that potentially violate their ToS even when reported by a user.

Honestly, I am beginning to suspect we have a mole or a troll, someone with some sort of motive to report the game. There have been plenty of things that have been shot down entirely, like eliminating the 'happy' scenes or making them skippable because they are too much for some or adding text support for the audio cue in "There Is Nothing," though those are only examples, I don't suspect specific people I have seen complain about those things in particular.

Patreon can say that it's not enough and that he is just circumventing the rules. Recently people can get banned and punished for things they are doing on other platforms. Remember that they can refuse a project for no reason at all.
Indeed, I did bring this to Selebus's attention directly on the Discord and I wasn't alone in the knowledge of this when he asked for evidence. Not only has this issue, which quite frankly boils down to unfair treatment that should be getting Patreon punished because they don't have jurisdiction off of their site, been stated here in multiple threads, but it has even gone to places like YouTube.

Will we still see the "XXX girl's lust has increased!" message in the censored version? Could see that potentially being used against you if we do see that.
Odds are not good that we will see this in the censored version, you make a very good point about why. Hell, Patreon can use the Koikatsu art style against him, which is a killing blow to the game unless Selebus wants to go back through in Honey Select or DAZ and replace potentially thousands of images. I don't have an actual count, I never look at the total file count while in the images folder.

Sorry to see Patreon being Patreon. This prudish stance on fiction is so draconian. I switched support over to SubscribeStar, and encourage anyone genuinely invested in the game to do the same. Censorship is inherently self-defeating. Hope you aren't impacted too much by this nonsense, Selebus!
I know, what is this, the 1700s? Are the girls supposed to all be wearing dresses with long sleeves and high collars and should they only be looking at the person they plan to marry? Should they wait until they are wedded for sex, too? Patreon doth protest too much, methinks. (Yes, I went freaking Shakespearean on them, it's a variation of a line from "Hamlet" for those who don't know and/or remember their Shakespeare)

I echo this sentiment and strongly urge any current or future patrons to move to SubscribeStar, enough is enough, now is the time to protest with our wallets. The unfair treatment stops or their profits take a hit, their decision and they are to blame if the latter happens.

Reactions: Vizer007

mannice431

Jun 14, 2017
He should just turn the SFW version into a gigantic parody/riff of the game and censorship in general, then a..."fan" (Ami with a moustache) puts up the uncensored patch in an offsite somewhere (SubscribeStar or Itch.io) so we can all play it.

If there's one thing i hate about these sites is the feeling of arbitrariness, the application of the rules seems to change depending on the work and the attention something brings towards itself, i would prefer if these sites had strict rules regarding what is and isn't acceptable rather than this grey area where someone just pulls the rug out from under you.

And it's not just about the credit card companies, Patreon (and others) have a tendency to just make up shit on the spot, the "Lolita" example is a great one but there are others.

I'd take this as a wake up call and start diversifying the ways the money would make it's way to me ASAP, when a site starts doing this (and Patreon's been at it for a while) it's only a matter of time before they start outright banning NSFW content (aside from maybe some art pieces or shit like that).

Reactions: alex2011

ansc

Jan 16, 2018
Well, on the plus side of there having to be two versions-

the uncensored version can now go as 'far' as Selebus could possibly want it to.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes