FroJedi

Sep 2, 2020
how do I load up the care packages? I have been fucking around with them and cannot for the life of me figure out how to play them

Wardtnaci

Jun 12, 2022
Hasn't anyone uploaded a new care package here yet?
somehow i crave for new content.
Not sure, Maybe its because the bio sheet for Chika has ppl worried that it will flag under rule 7 even though MODs are ok with the game or worried that maybe it'll cause an uproar in reports by the Deleted Member #... DILLIGAF...'s posse.

KnowNoHope

Apr 16, 2020
Not sure, Maybe its because the bio sheet for Chika has ppl worried that it will flag under rule 7 even though MODs are ok with the game or worried that maybe it'll cause an uproar in reports by the Deleted Member #... DILLIGAF...'s posse.
I doubt its because of 'uproar'. Its probably because no one cared enough to do it yet. The care packages have very little content to begin with.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
What's your guess for the total length of all the hard pauses in this game, added up?

21.5 minutes!

How about the total length of all the dissolve transitions?

4.5 hours!

That's just the game forcing you to sit there and look at a still image on the screen.

It hurts me how easy it would be to make this game more fun to play and appealing to a wider audience, which could potentially solve the game's "growth problems" that have caused so much strife recently. I get that the intentional subversion of player agency is a stylistic choice and sometimes comedic, but I think when it's taken as far as this game takes it, it unnecessarily turns people away who might like it otherwise, even when considering the subject matter.

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
Just set the preference to skip unseen text, and tap ctrl it skips the "forced" wait.
Sure, but that would only solve the hard pauses, and I'm talking about the general user experience - every single player shouldn't have to learn a trick to make the game more playable.

For myself, I removed all of the instances of ", hard=True" and set custom Dissolve times. Incorporating DRM will break this ability as well as the desperately needed Progress Mod.

Also:

The headpat system, by the time it's finished, will have you doing nothing but clicking your mouse as fast as you can for at a bare minimum 41 minutes (assuming 7 )

There are also over 10,000 instances of a text line consisting of only "..." so far which is another bare minimum 23 minutes of pure clicking - that's assuming your reflexes were perfect, so easily triple that amount for reading comprehension time.

Dead Space is a zombie horror game set on a spaceship, not something that belongs in a VN. This shit adds up.

Wardtnaci

Jun 12, 2022
The headpat system, by the time it's finished, will have you doing nothing but clicking your mouse as fast as you can for at a bare minimum 41 minutes (assuming 7 )
I have accepted the fact that I'll never get a girl in this game to Pat-gasm! :cry:

Real world.... not an issue!

Cool stats gathering though.

Did you happen to count number black screens with text? Because that feels like its a lot.

• Love
Reactions: vehemental

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
I have accepted the fact that I'll never get a girl in this game to Pat-gasm! :cry:

Real world.... not an issue!

Cool stats gathering though.

Did you happen to count number black screens with text? Because that feels like its a lot.
That video changed something in young me however many years ago (like a dozen? :HideThePain:) I first saw it.

Use the attached headpatcentral.rpy file to replace the one in your game directory (back up the original in case I'm an idiot) and it will accelerate the process by 5x if you want. Make sure you don't have any incomplete patting sessions before using it or you'll miss dialogue.

Only 2,764 instances of "scene black" :unsure:

Jimbolance

Nov 19, 2018
What's your guess for the total length of all the hard pauses in this game, added up?

21.5 minutes!

How about the total length of all the dissolve transitions?

4.5 hours!

That's just the game forcing you to sit there and look at a still image on the screen.

It hurts me how easy it would be to make this game more fun to play and appealing to a wider audience, which could potentially solve the game's "growth problems" that have caused so much strife recently. I get that the intentional subversion of player agency is a stylistic choice and sometimes comedic, but I think when it's taken as far as this game takes it, it unnecessarily turns people away who might like it otherwise, even when considering the subject matter.
People who bounce off this game have been pretty vocal about what /specifically/ they don't like about it over the years.

It's not stuff like the hard pauses and transitions, even those who criticize it's length point to grinding out event triggers well before talking about anything like that

I'm not really weighing in on whether the pauses and transitions are good/bad/whatever but I think it's safe to say that it's the least of this games problems if your looking at what prevents it from appealing to a "wider audience"

Still, pretty interesting data!

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Quite frankly, he's making a Denpa game that is at some point going to contain adult content that is also a big limiter on how many would play, that was already guaranteed to turn people away. Some genres are not meant for wider audiences. If Sel was ever worried about that, he wouldn't be making the game he is, it would be something more like what already exists in terms of what kinds of content it aims for.

Last edited:

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
Just wishful thinking that there's a world where this game is more accessible while keeping the same subject matter I guess. I agree that the event hunting alone is worse than 5x this amount of dead space.

The dev hates this place and me personally so much that it's not like this train of thought is going anywhere regardless of its merit, so I guess I'll just get back to getting caught up instead :KEK:

BlackDays

Jan 30, 2021
I do see a slight problem here with what he wants to convey/the genre and the amount of customers/his income. While not the most favorable genre to me, i'm quite used to it.
Just wondering if his "i do my thing mentality" works together with his "i want to make a living out of my work" mentality can go hand in hand.

I guess he's pretty lucky that there are people willing to "donate" interesting amounts of money to keep the numbers where they are. Fanbases are really interesting in general.

Reactions: vehemental

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
I do see a slight problem here with what he wants to convey/the genre and the amount of customers/his income. While not the most favorable genre to me, i'm quite used to it.
Just wondering if his "i do my thing mentality" works together with his "i want to make a living out of my work" mentality can go hand in hand.

I guess he's pretty lucky that there are people willing to "donate" interesting amounts of money to keep the numbers where they are. Fanbases are really interesting in general.
It can be done, but in a niche genre like Denpa, it requires knowing what the fans of that genre would be into and leaning heavily into that knowledge, which is what he has done. There are some pretty well known examples to pull from to figure out what fans of the genre would want and he took those games into consideration when developing the story as it stands today.

In fact, the 'I do my thing' mentality is a huge benefit in cases like this as it can serve as a defense against the temptation to try and branch beyond what he is going for, which can and has been an issue with other games in the past. Try to please everyone and you will end up pleasing no one.

Juice86

Jan 13, 2023
Also, this game is making me sad as hell. Hopefully some more cheerful things happen soon or I may need to stop playing.
Unless you are Rin or Otoha... maybe they get a happy ending. Selebus seems to favor them for some reason. They are the least 2 likeable characters (outside Osako). Where-as cool characters like Molly get a shitty story. <3 Molly.

Reactions: Bingoogus

derekthered56

May 30, 2018
Unless you are Rin or Otoha... maybe they get a happy ending. Selebus seems to favor them for some reason. They are the least 2 likeable characters (outside Osako). Where-as cool characters like Molly get a shitty story. <3 Molly.
I doubt Rin+Otoha is gonna survive Otoha's kiss with Niki, not after all the guilt Otoha has thrown at Rin just for having feelings. Personally I hope they can work it out though; I like Rin and her getting a chance at a throuple would be nice to see before everything goes Dark.

And yeah, we need more Molly. I quit the game for a year when I saw she didn't have any events after the Halloween incident.

4.20 star(s) 296 Votes