corsair101

Apr 27, 2021
It restored my faith in humanity that nobody here reacted well to the Io thing. Well at the very least if anyone actually enjoyed that scene they knew well enough to keep it to themselves. That stare still turns my stomach, the scene is well named I'll give Selly that.
I didn't think it was possible to top the psychological ick factor of the scene with Kirin and wrecked-on-benzos Miku, but...yep, that did it. And yeaaaah, that was definitely not a thing written with the intent of being the slightest bit arousing, which is very different from "not my thing but someone might get off on it", or even the "obvious bad end option" you get sometimes. Like there's a few infamous fanfics out there that are objectively just as or more horrifying, but very obviously written for someone to enjoy (a certain 40k one jumps to mind just because I peripherally knew the author), that scene with Io was more like the author smacking you with a rolled-up newspaper.

aramaug

Jun 28, 2019
I'm trying to play through Chapter 2 again and the knowledge that "Stomachache" is looming in the future makes some of Io's events so fucking depressing, instead of wholesome and touching like on a first playthrough. From "Amongst Other Things":
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It doesn't bode well for what's coming in the next updates that she thinks she'll "just die" if Sensei fails her. Though honestly suicide and a reset of her memories (a la "Bluejay") might be the least depressing path forward for her. Anything is better than this abuse becoming, as she puts it, "a regular thing".

Apollo259

Sep 27, 2020
I have put together some thoughts about the Io events, Its probably going to be a bit disjointed though as I don't think I have fully formed my thoughts on it yet. Some of it is similar to what DeSkel15 just posted. And I do hope it does not come off as reductive of insensitive for whatever reason.

To start with just some thoughts on the way Io has been written and other general stuff that came to mind:
And now some possible observations and interpretations on Io's motivations/state of mind.(probably too many images)

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Just to throw this out there, there's something I don't think has been talked about when it comes to Io's recent events.

It wasn't necessarily about her. By that, I mean it was about Uta:

Io looks up to Uta, and believes she would actually be dead if she never met her:
So, it seems like Io was trying to protect Uta from Sensei, by becoming Sensei's tool, after finding out that he's holding on to a wizard pic of Uta.

In other words: Io was trying to keep him from fucking up Uta, by offering herself.

It's all she had to offer:

The "parenting" stuff just forced her to stop being in denial about him. He reminded her of her mother. Then he could even use the same words she did:

In another timeline, this may have ended on a happy note:
But, even leaving may lead to problems. Albeit, I suppose we'll see.
I have not said that, but everything I said about it fits very well with this. By that I mean that Io spearheaded the whole conversation, shot down every Akira attempt to disengage, and was overall dead-set on it happening. Also that she was out of her mind the whole time since the moment Akira tried to justify Ami being important to him by using a comparison. All of those fit with her being on a mission.

I don't think Uta was the sole reason, since if it was, Io would be incredibly misguided (if not stupid). Uta never needed this help, since Akira being the way he is is ultimately good for her. Uta herself says that, in prior conversations with Io, it was Io that seemed intent on Uta dealing with this news in a manner that was very different from what she seemed to take from it. But I think we can all agree that Io wasn't thinking straight, and that in that sense protecting Uta was certainly part of it, since she said it herself (it just doesn't doesn't match with reality, but then again, barely anything about the stomachace conversation matches with reality because Io hardly listens to Akira).

I think there's a chance Io won't be ruined from this, but I think it would be interesting/ironic/tragic for her to be ruined form realising that her efforts were absolutely misguided. Uta never needed her "protection", and Akira, having been molested as well, would never have left her because of that. In that case, either she went through with it for no reason, or she "tarnished" herself by vomiting her entire backstory on him, pressuring him to have sex (which he refuses), and ultimately she would also have put herself in that position for no reason. Selebus might choose that route to link both options.

Unintended though they may have been however, Io's events had one important repercussion, which was the way Akira handled Uta's conversation. Uta already didn't have much of a problem with it, and was really just confirming. But the fact that Akira breaks down in front of her definitely makes Uta's decision easier, as she can relate better to someone that displays being actively broken about these issues than if Akira had been more composed (like it was not a problem for him).

If the timeline was also reversed, I think it lends credence to your take, because if during the conversation Akira had been "Io, Uta's fine with it, we already talked" - Io would be hard-pressed not to slow down. I don't know that she'd give up, but it would definitely change things (just as Akira's Sekai's reveal forces her to slow down as well). In that same token, if Akira had actively broken down in front of her, that would probably have also changed things.

As it is, Io was dealt a bad hand and made sure to make the worst of it. And in doing so, she ended up providing Uta and whoever came later with a better hand by default.

On a final note, a wonder to which extent the world itself/whoever speaks to Nodoka foresaw/intended for this event so that Akira could reveal Sekai to someone for the first time:
The event is called "trauma bond", Akira is the only one that would have the same trauma as Io, and what Nodoka says can be completed as "spilling traumautic events from a character's past would serve no purpose other than to serve as trigger to have the protagonist talk to them about it in a one-on-one conversation later". Which is what she tried to do, but was rejected, and that served as a trigger for Akira to have the conversation she wanted to have. If not for Nodoka, even with Uta's picture, Io's events would never have happened. Was that happenstance however? Or was it by design?

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
I'm trying to play through Chapter 2 again and the knowledge that "Stomachache" is looming in the future makes some of Io's events so fucking depressing, instead of wholesome and touching like on a first playthrough. From "Amongst Other Things":
It doesn't bode well for what's coming in the next updates that she thinks she'll "just die" if Sensei fails her. Though honestly suicide and a reset of her memories (a la "Bluejay") might be the least depressing path forward for her. Anything is better than this abuse becoming, as she puts it, "a regular thing".
(I guess this turned into a motivational post, well, we all deserve it after this update.)

We'll be fine.

Sometimes the breaking is so impactful that we lose focus of the big picture. But, it can be just another step in order for us to reopen the wound and address it properly.
Or to be put into a situation where we're forced to face things we'd rather not.
We're just at another breaking part right now. Light shines on things too untasteful to be brought out willingly. And out of shock and desperation we deal with them in the worst possible ways.

But we'll be fine. Remember to smile.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023
The whole Io thing feels so unfair. All of this happened because you received Uta's picture which you aren't even allowed to delete, it doesn't matter what path you take, she is destined for an unhappy ending.
She said herself that she doesn't care what happens to her, the reason she didn't resist is probably because she thinks she's protecting Uta. The choice you make here technically doesn't have any consequences to this relationship, she already thinks Akira is trash.

So in short, she was already destroyed before, I think the only realistic way to influence/restore Io is by making right by Uta, which means
You still haven't betrayed Io as long as you don't hurt Uta, sounds derranged but that's how I think her thought process works right now.

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022
(I guess this turned into a motivational post, well, we all deserve it after this update.)

We'll be fine.

Sometimes the breaking is so impactful that we lose focus of the big picture. But, it can be just another step in order for us to reopen the wound and address it properly.
Or to be put into a situation where we're forced to face things we'd rather not.
We're just at another breaking part right now. Light shines on things too untasteful to be brought out willingly. And out of shock and desperation we deal with them in the worst possible ways.

But we'll be fine. Remember to smile.
Lessons In Love-Hopecore edition

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
how do you trigger Haruka event ?
For her second-last event go to Koi cafe at night on Tuesday (I could be remembering the day wrong. If not try all the days) when Molly is supposed to be working but Haruka will be there. And then go there in the morning* for her last event. Basically just spam Koi cafe

Fire Lord Zuko

Aug 20, 2021
Did we ever find out what Imani's Secret Santa tickets were for exactly? From the Christmas Party in 0.36 when Akira was still catatonic?

Unless I'm just misremembering, I don't think we've found out the answer to this question yet.

...Potential date chain with Imani like the Chika Onsen and Makoto Beach trip? :unsure: She does have three more events coming up in 0.45, so maybe it could happen around then.

Last edited:

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Did we ever find out what Imani's Secret Santa tickets where for exactly? From the Christmas Party in 0.36 when Akira was still catatonic?

Unless I'm just misremembering, I don't think we've found out the answer to this question yet.

...Potential date chain with Imani like the Chika Onsen and Makoto Beach trip? :unsure: She does have three more events coming up in 0.45, so maybe it could happen around then.
I mean, I sure hope so because she deserves way more than pity oral triggered by tragic backstory. In fact, I think Akira could learn a lot from someone that has that backstory and manages to become the Imani of today.

She didn't have anything going for her other than "I want to have sex with Akira", but given his reaction to her latest events, I think it's likely Akira intends to learn from her (he says something about learning to carry light or something like that).

I just hope it isn't a date to the amusement park or to watch sea turtles (that's for my girl Yumi, don't you dare, Selebus). I'm fine with anything other than that.

Maybe it's tickets to visit the new "low-income apartment complex" she plans to move into (can you imagine lol).

4.20 star(s) 297 Votes