Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
forgetting they are supposed to be speaking Japanese.
EIGOWAHANASEMASEN NIHONGOWOHANASHITEKUDASAI (y)

full immersion now.

Edit: on the counter-argument side, the monogatari series half doesn't work in English exactly because it's such a gem of constant play on words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riolol

DeanNorris

Aug 20, 2022
This just shows that Sel doesn't remember what he already wrote in game. Niki fng hates him. I'm pretty sure one of the other girls said nice things about him.
I think it has been established that Sel does this on purpose to stir up the community and provoke comments, just like a controversial TikTok influencer would.
That's very Nodoka of him.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022
I think it has been established that Sel does this on purpose to stir up the community and provoke comments, just like a controversial TikTok influencer would.

First time i see Yumi THIS high.Impressive.

Care to elaborate?Also otoha being higher than imani is a sin

derekthered56

May 30, 2018

Having both Kirin and Karin in S-tier is an interesting choice. Are there two Imanis?

DeanNorris

Aug 20, 2022
First time i see Yumi THIS high.Impressive.
This one I find easy considering the latest update. Yumi is one of the very few characters actively calling Akira out for being an absolute piece of shit creep, which he is. She is the antithesis of Chika, if you will, ironically. She is very well aware that he has no business lusting for schoolgirls, let alone his own students and that it does not make sense why the whole class is falling in love with him anyway, again, especially Chika who actually deserves a steady and reliable partner.
Which makes it oh so much worse that she still has feelings for this jerk, which I find perfectly portrayed in the little things she does, her reactions, her gradual dismantling of the barrier she built herself. It's quite beautiful, especially in this culminating scene between each other in the rain shelter. Yumi is arguably one of the most relatable character from the perspective of the player, I would claim. We know Akira is an asshole, we don't understand how he gets away with it, but we can't help ourselves to somehow still root for him.

Also otoha being higher than imani is a sin
I don't dislike Otoha as much as most guys here. She is, again, one of the most realistic characters in the game, as in, she actually acts a lot like a normal teenager would in the situation she is thrown into. Yes, she is somewhat unpredictable and sometimes annoying. But she is supposed to be, she is a teenager and a musician. Also, her ass.

Imani I just find a little bit boring, sorry. I would actually find her more unique and interesting if she remained the "best buddy" of Akira, but she has also fallen victim to his curse, albeit with a little bit less explanation than for most of the other girls. As in, I'm not sure what she sees in him exactly to be so much into him. Also someone once said on here that her character model looks odd somehow, and while I want to concur that these feelings do not stem from some form of racism, there is something about it that I also can't really put my finger on. Koikatsu is kind of bad at depicting characters that are not supposed to look East-Asian, I suppose.

Having both Kirin and Karin in S-tier is an interesting choice. Are there two Imanis?
The Kanda sisters are kind of two sides of a medal in my book. I like them for, obviously, very different reasons.
Kirin has definitely grown on me. Again, she seems a bit more reflective and aware in some regards than a lot of the other girls. Though I also was a bit disappointed with how Sel apparently decided to settle the matter between Akira, Karin and Kirin.
And Karin is just a sweetheart. Also it was nice to see that she is not afraid to be assertive and clear in her opinions and intentions, despite her otherwise very reserved demeanor, when facing Akira after the event.

skwada

Feb 13, 2020
I would also like to share my tier list! I do not have access to the tier list website link so just visualize it in your head as you read this:

================================
S++: Ami

B: Sana, Yumi, Touka, Yasu
C: Ayane, Tsuneyo, Niki
D: Rin

Z (don't care about these): everyone else
================================

- Ami is #1 because her events are the most interesting imo and she's cute and I like yandere/insane

- Sana: adult form is cute as fuck and I like shy/quiet
- Yumi: has nice boobs and kind of reminds me of a pitiable dog, i always remember her "stuck in the vortex" event even tho i last read it years ago
- Touka: I don't know why, probably just 'cause she has nice boobs. honestly i should downgrade her to C tier for that
- Yasu: has an endearing innocence and her "evil smile" is nice =)

- Ayana: I like how much she loves Akira, and she shows her love differently than the other girls who are "in love" with him
- Tsuneyo: often has exciting events and probably has nice boobs. And her humor level is off the charts!
- Niki: her backstory with Akira is great

D Tier
- Rin: tbh I greatly prefer her ch1 form over her current form, it was good enough that it deserves to be in B tier, and I will place her current form in D tier just because of how good her ch1 form was

Z tier
Yea I don't really care about the other girls tbh. In fact, I find most of the other girls kind of annoying at times (especially Kaori, Maya, Makoto, Imani, Molly (sometimes), Futaba, Haruka, Maki, Sara, Yuki, Nao, Chika, Miku, etc. - I realize I've just listed like 1/5th of the cast xD). Once in a while there'll be an event for them that I like but I'm generally indifferent to them

Last edited:

DeanNorris

Aug 20, 2022
- Yumi: has nice boobs and kind of reminds me of a pitiable dog
Top 10 sentences that get you killed/reset the fastest in Kumon-mi.

Sana does look incredible in her adult form though, I have to give you that. But I haven't seen all of them yet, I could imagine someone like Molly, Uta, Noriko or Touka maturing very gracefully. Kirin looked great too in that one render from Kitty Hawk.

Regarding Rin's hair: Like many things in this game, it has been growing on me. It's just that the change was so extreme, similar to Chika obviously, that you needed to get used to it first. Rin remains best bro though, even if she went bald.
Best hair change award goes to Sana as well though, no contest.

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Sort of related but it really bugs me when characters say their wordplay does not work in text, forgetting they are supposed to be speaking Japanese. I know it's just a little fourth wall breaking joke but still it irks me.
Okay, so I may or may not write books where the characters are in theory speaking in a language other than the one I'm writing in. So I may (or may not) know a little about this.

I get what you're saying, absolutely, but there's a reason that Sel (and writers like him) have to do it the way they do.

Wordplay famously doesn't translate -- especially across languages that don't share much (or any) vocabulary. And since certain characters kind of have to use puns and all the rest of it, you have to decide that you're going to play your silly games in the language you're writing in. Then you hope that the reader understands that what they're reading is a suggestion of how the characters are talking, rather than a literal record of what they're actually saying. It's why machine translation will always suck, especially around any kind of double entendre or other wordplay.

Because no one wants translation footnotes in their novels. Or VNs, for that matter.

The only other options are a) to have the characters making witty/snarky remarks in a language where those remarks make no sense or b) have them speak only in concrete, humorless language where translation won't ever be a problem. (BTW, such language really doesn't exist.)

I mean, in my writing (which is also set in another time period), I'm always careful not to have references to anachronisms or things the characters have no way of knowing about. Sometimes it's hard. Rather than use the obscure time units of the time and place my books are set in, I found I'd started to measure time in breaths and heartbeats and such, for example. I try to write from inside my characters' heads, even if the language I'm using to write down their thoughts and perceptions isn't the one they think in.

Mostly, I trust that the readers will go along with it. I get that in this case you found you couldn't. But I mostly find that I'm happy going along with Sel when he makes a joke that only really hits in Texas.

Does that make sense?

Dc345

May 27, 2020

Imani has an identical twin??

hario1225

Mar 3, 2021
Imani with curly hair looks real nice actually.

Airi Miyabe for instance, who is half japanese do have curly hair most of the time and she probably straightened it out so it'll be easy to tie when she's playing volleyball.

Tommykjohnson1990

Jul 23, 2023
So what happend to the wiki? Used to be up to date like right away and had very detailed descriptions too. They haven't even put Ami's cut hair pic up yet and that's been for a few updates now.

crustlord12

Jun 24, 2020
It's strange because having just one continuous seasonal cycle without resets would also mean no Wires, HOPE or Pareidolia, since they'd probably get fused again into a single being. Maybe they're never gods to begin with and the nature of the resets and their split is an attempt to maintain their makeshift divinity (they're called makeshift gods after all).
There was that happy event with the stations of the cross where Maya and Sensei discuss how one god is actually three gods, so you might not be too far off

4.20 star(s) 298 Votes