RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'd like to offer some food for thought. Like many here, I also do agree that this game, as well as most have their flaws & room for improvement. That being said, I have noticed a pattern, not just on this site but globally as a whole, where people can't wait to trash a game. An update just came out &, like with almost every other game on here, the thread is filled with people going on & on trash talking the game & the developer. Now there are 2 things that I would like to highlight.

First, the VAST majority of you are people that downloaded the game for free & have not contributed a single red cent or anything else of value to the creation of the game. In my view, the dev is only beholden to their financial contributer, not the freeloading masses, (the latter of which also includes myself for many games).

Secondly, we all know that many game devs are also members of this same community & read these very same threads.

So, with that in mind, I want you to engage in a little thought experiment. Imagine that YOU are a dev whom has busted your ass, spending most, if not all of your free time coding, rendering & building a game for less than minimum wage, (Where I live, minimum wage is about $11 an hour), especially since many of these devs make only a couple hundred bucks a month, some less than even $100. Your hard work has finally paid off to where you have a decent enough amount of content to post an update & the payoff is a bunch of freeloaders whom contributed nothing to the game ripping it apart & trash talking you.

Now with THAT in mind, is it REALLY that surprising that so many games are abandoned these days instead of completed? Would YOU want to keep investing your time & effort into a game? I wouldn't. A couple hundred bucks a month just isn't worth putting all that effort into making something just to have a bunch of people crap all over it. There are WAY easier ways to make better money. I mean yeah, I know there are a lot of scammers whom just slap a steaming 0.1 pile together so that they can scam some easy money on Patreon, but statistically at least some of the abandoned games here must have come from devs whom just got fed up & walked away. I mean I lost count of how many games I've seen now where the dev started out real active, rolled out 3 or 4 updates, then over time, communicated less before going silent & shutting down their Patreon. If this was how my game was treated, I'd probably do the same. I'd probably just finish it on my own & only share it with select people of my choosing.

So, in closing, before anyone gets butthurt & goes on a tirade about freedom of speech & blah blah blah, I'm not telling anyone not to say what they want. What I AM saying is that maybe there is some degree of cause & effect that you guys need to stop & think about. IF we want these devs to finish games instead of abandoning them, maybe constantly bashing on them & picking apart their work might be just a tad counter productive. Just something to think about.
The fact that we're mostly pirates is a given, but that does not make our criticisms of a game any less valid.
There is a difference between criticism and being mean spirited.
Mean spirited is just being a jerk who likes to prod people because he/she is protected by distance and anonymity.
Offering honest criticism is not acting out to insult someone for the sake of insulting. True we do review a game rather bruskly but our points are no less bona fide.
If you consider that pirates do not pay it makes us more honest. People paying for a game often are too close to the game and the dev to be objective. We pirates feel no such allegiance. When you see a point which keeps coming up over and over it is something a dev should consider addressing. If you as a dev want to improve your game read this thread's constructive criticism comments. As a group we often bring up and solve issues plaguing a game.
Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him like you would a guide to hidden treasure.

And as far as feeling bad about people not praising your effort all I can say is not everyone gets a trophy. Putting yourself out to the arena of public opinion is setting yourself up for possible rejection, it doesn't mean you don't do it it just means you do it to the best of your ability and consider if some of the slings and arrows might not be valid. You have to be able to separate you from your work, that is very hard to do but criticism of you work is not necessarily a criticism of you as a person.

Reactions: Safetydummy

Centurion

Jan 20, 2018
I'd like to offer some food for thought. Like many here, I also do agree that this game, as well as most have their flaws & room for improvement. That being said, I have noticed a pattern, not just on this site but globally as a whole, where people can't wait to trash a game. An update just came out &, like with almost every other game on here, the thread is filled with people going on & on trash talking the game & the developer. Now there are 2 things that I would like to highlight.

First, the VAST majority of you are people that downloaded the game for free & have not contributed a single red cent or anything else of value to the creation of the game. In my view, the dev is only beholden to their financial contributer, not the freeloading masses, (the latter of which also includes myself for many games).

Secondly, we all know that many game devs are also members of this same community & read these very same threads.

So, with that in mind, I want you to engage in a little thought experiment. Imagine that YOU are a dev whom has busted your ass, spending most, if not all of your free time coding, rendering & building a game for less than minimum wage, (Where I live, minimum wage is about $11 an hour), especially since many of these devs make only a couple hundred bucks a month, some less than even $100. Your hard work has finally paid off to where you have a decent enough amount of content to post an update & the payoff is a bunch of freeloaders whom contributed nothing to the game ripping it apart & trash talking you.

Now with THAT in mind, is it REALLY that surprising that so many games are abandoned these days instead of completed? Would YOU want to keep investing your time & effort into a game? I wouldn't. A couple hundred bucks a month just isn't worth putting all that effort into making something just to have a bunch of people crap all over it. There are WAY easier ways to make better money. I mean yeah, I know there are a lot of scammers whom just slap a steaming 0.1 pile together so that they can scam some easy money on Patreon, but statistically at least some of the abandoned games here must have come from devs whom just got fed up & walked away. I mean I lost count of how many games I've seen now where the dev started out real active, rolled out 3 or 4 updates, then over time, communicated less before going silent & shutting down their Patreon. If this was how my game was treated, I'd probably do the same. I'd probably just finish it on my own & only share it with select people of my choosing.

So, in closing, before anyone gets butthurt & goes on a tirade about freedom of speech & blah blah blah, I'm not telling anyone not to say what they want. What I AM saying is that maybe there is some degree of cause & effect that you guys need to stop & think about. IF we want these devs to finish games instead of abandoning them, maybe constantly bashing on them & picking apart their work might be just a tad counter productive. Just something to think about.
How do we know that a game sucks (and why people think so) if no one says so? A single person saying so doesn't mean much but when 90% of the comments say so - with specifics, then it seems folks are doing the developer a favor by telling them what they should consider doing.

Reactions: RustyV

bagodoughnuts

Jan 7, 2018
My game stops when father is searching for the pictures daughter erased. I can look at documents including survival note, but can’t go any further. Is this the end in the update or do I have a bug?

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
My game stops when father is searching for the pictures daughter erased. I can look at documents including survival note, but can’t go any further. Is this the end in the update or do I have a bug?
end

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Maybe the boat is a native Polynesian canoe and the daughter will get gang banged by a group of wandering natives.
Better scenario; the canoe could be full of hot big breasted topless Polynesian girls in grass skirts, and the hut on the island has a weed wacker. That like the fire probably won't start.

Realistically at this point I've given up on any real sexual content in this game for the foreseeable future (hope I'm wrong).
Now I'm just mostly sticking around to get the fucking fire to light!

Reactions: Penfold Mole

bcLK

Dec 31, 2017
After all, who is Mark? Was he an old friend or was it just a dream and Mark does not exist in real life?

Terrible finale. If I were a patron, I would not be.

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
That's the problem. Most of the feedback has BEEN rather mean spirited. For example:
"How the hell does dev make over 1,500 dollars for so bad game?! In which there is almost no choices to make.. da heck?! His patreons must be drunk or he is damn good at marketing his work to wide public.. from my poin of view it is at most worth 500$ a month and even that seems too much.. still glad for dev, becouse he can earn that much making bad game"
Not to mention calling it "blue ball island", I mean this is not constructive criticism. & I see this on almost every game posted here. Yeah you can rationalize & justify yourself all you want but at the end of the day my point still stands. If all devs get is criticism every time they try to make a game, many of them will stop making the effort & abandon it. & that is clearly demonstrated by the sheer volume of abandoned games on here. Statistically, all of them cannot just be scammers. You can explain it away as "them just not being able to 'take criticism'" or not being thick skinned enough, but that doesn't change the fact that the end result is an unfinished game.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
There are lots of reasons for unfinished games. It might be the dev just got in over his/her head and opted out. The dev may not have the amount or free time required to create and maintain a quality game. The dev may even simply lose interest in the project or want to start a new project.
If you look at the percentage of projects in general started and then abandoned where there is no public criticism it would probably be close to the percent of games abandoned. Car restoration is a good example. A lot of guys buy a classic car or military vehicle to restore. They start the restoration and then life gets in the way. I have a 1943 Willys Jeeps that I have been restoring back to WW2 appearance for a decade. My ultra-light aircraft rebuild project is even worse.
Agreed reading spiteful comments would be hard on a dev's ego, but if you have a well thought out story and if you believe in your project then you soldier on. But I am probably from a different generation than most devs and tend to look at the world from a past perspective.

3.30 star(s) 119 Votes