D

Deleted member 237

Actor2.blendPreset(fourties)
Actor2.blendPreset(bimbo)
is this same as
Actor2.blendPreset(fourties, bimbo) ?

I dont know if two attributes are allowed for blendPreset() and i am afraid that maybe attribute gets overwritten if i use first example.

Vinfamy

creating moddable 3D life simulator
Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Actor2.blendPreset(fourties)
Actor2.blendPreset(bimbo)
is this same as
Actor2.blendPreset(fourties, bimbo) ?

I dont know if two attributes are allowed for blendPreset() and i am afraid that maybe attribute gets overwritten if i use first example.
The first example is how you should do it, blendPreset only allows one parameter at a time.
Fourties and bimbo shouldn't share any attributes, so nothing will be overwritten
Also, you can just make your own lpcharacter file specifically for the attributes you need and use blendPreset just once with that

Reactions: Deleted member 237

PoEbalu

Apr 27, 2017
karma make no sense and shouldnt be in there,or there should be an option to turn it off.
make no fuken sense playing as villain and then "oh shit,my karma is low i URGENTLY need to help that granny cross the road to fix my karma and then continue on my killing/rape spree"
that's just... pure nonsense garbage that pritty much dictates how you should act/play OR ELSE.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Skalli

Humlebien

Donor
Nov 15, 2016
karma make no sense and shouldnt be in there,or there should be an option to turn it off.
make no fuken sense playing as villain and then "oh shit,my karma is low i URGENTLY need to help that granny cross the road to fix my karma and then continue on my killing/rape spree"
that's just... pure nonsense garbage that pritty much dictates how you should act/play OR ELSE.
Are you alright? Do you need to lie down? Before you blow the top, maybe see what it actually do and offer. Most games have benefits and drawbacks depending on how you play. And, I really doubt Vinfamy will give 2 shits about a post that is just a rant, with little constructive, other than "I don't want it".

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
"- Also includes a perk tree that softens the impact of negative Karma - a good investment for those who want to play an evil character but don't want all the bad luck "
(at level 5, it eliminates all negative impact of karma)

Robert Monotoli

Jun 16, 2018
Boy, criticize a planned feature before you try it. That's a very sensible approach, I tell ya! But, no, seriously, we have a public beta testing so it will be subject to scrutiny first before it goes to general release. If it doesn't work out, I am sure Vinfamy will think of something else to replace it. Nevertheless, I am confident that it will work out for the best.

I thought karma system the way it was described offered an interesting premise. Again, we will see how that works out in practice. Obviously, not all things planned will work out like it should but I don't think this will be the one.

Even in The Sims series, the actions that you have your Sims make will still have their consequences. In a way, I believe the Karma system replicates that somewhat. And even in many VNs here, some of your choices will still have consequences that reverberates throughout the story.

Not all choices have only short-term / immediate consequences. Some of the choices will have a long-term impact. Again, I believe the karma system aims to at least provide some long-lasting consequences of the decisions you make on behalf of your character.

One last thing, I am sure Vinfamy may consider offering an option to toggle it off if enough players ask nicely *coughs* for it only AFTER the system has been released. Again, I suggest trying it out before you criticize this and ask for this option. And this time, do ask nicely. No developer is going to take you seriously if you are going to be like that. Sorry but that is the way it is. There is this thing called the .

PoEbalu

Apr 27, 2017
criticize a planned feature before you try it
yea,make sense...NOT.
i dont need to taste shit to know it's shit. what is that logic i dont even....

Even in The Sims series, the actions that you have your Sims make will still have their consequences.
do you have SLIGHTEST idea what karma is ? because you blabbering nonsense here.

And even in many VNs here
sure,let's compare GTA/Mass Effect/Noir to VNs
cuz REASONS. they all the same,no difference whatsoever. (hint: none of them have karma system)

No developer is going to take you seriously if you are going to be like that.
be like what ? elaborate.

i dont remeber playing INDIAN BELIEFS lifeplay with superstitious mumbo-jumbo.
stop bein' foaming white knight it look ridiculous.

"- Also includes a perk tree that softens the impact of negative Karma - a good investment for those who want to play an evil character but don't want all the bad luck "
(at level 5, it eliminates all negative impact of karma)
it reduce the impact,but doesnt realy remove is it ? so doesn't change anything,i still need to walk grandma to fix karma or Buddha will spank me. the whole idea of arbitrary karma nonsense in a life simulator tilts me,especially when it influence my success chance ? how does that make any sense ? is my karma is bad i will fail,if my karma is good i will succeed in a 1:1 EVENT how,does my karma magicaly make me look uglier/prettier is the same god damn clothes,with the same stats ?? 0 sense.

Last edited:

Spillthebeans

Jun 21, 2017
I have to admit I'm also uncertain about the karma system. It sounds cool and all but it also sounds like it would be out of place, like adding magic or fantasy elements. Part of the fun of playing an ugly character is the process in which you improve yourself to make yourself more attractive. Having a system in place to reward you with easier sex because you were nice doesn't quite sound right for a life sim and takes some of the challenge away of playing a truly disadvantaged person. That's my take on the idea behind it, anyway.

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
it reduce the impact,but doesnt realy remove is it ? so doesn't change anything,i still need to walk grandma to fix karma or Buddha will spank me. the whole idea of arbitrary karma nonsense in a life simulator tilts me,especially when it influence my success chance ? how does that make any sense ? is my karma is bad i will fail,if my karma is good i will succeed in a 1:1 EVENT how,does my karma magicaly make me look uglier/prettier is the same god damn clothes,with the same stats ?? 0 sense.

"(at level 5, it ELIMINATES ALL negative impact of karma) "

PoEbalu

Apr 27, 2017
"(at level 5, it ELIMINATES ALL negative impact of karma) "
my bad,didnt read properly that one,but still doest rally change much,you NEED to get them first,and i'm assuming lvl5 isnt something you get in the first 5 seconds thus still make my point valid.
pritty much dictates how you should act/play OR ELSE.
not to mention with lv5 it give bonus IF im a good boy,but fuk me if im not.

you can inlude it all you want,i only want it to be OPTIONAL mechanic,not forced.

• Angry

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017

2.9 includes a public beta testing period before official release. So, here are the links for those wanting to help beta-test this version (or just really impatient). No previous beta testing experience is required - it's as simple as playing the game normally and report any bugs you encounter.
  • (requires v2.0 Stable or later)
(Mediafire links)

The beta testing period will last around 36 hours, aiming for official release of v2.9 (which will include the rest of the platforms and mirrors of course) on the previously promised date of Saturday, 5 October

My preferred channel to receive bug reports from beta testers is . But a reply here would do too. v2.9 adds 3 gameplay elements and one new UI element so it's one of those 'riskier' updates (more chance of bugs). Therefore, your help in beta-testing this before release is especially appreciated for this update.

If you're not interested in beta-testing the game and are not super impatient to try out the new content in this version, it's recommended to just wait until Saturday for the final v2.9 releases.
Thank you for all your help!

Change Log:
1/ New Karma system:
- many actions and decisions you take will now increase (help a colleague, stop domestic violence, etc) or decrease (cheating, murder, etc) Karma
- The higher your current Karma, the harder it is to continue increasing it (diminishing returns from the same act of kindness) but the easier it is for Karma to drop, and vice versa. This prevents you from maximizing Karma easily, but also prevents Karma from staying at rock bottom.
- Karma works by affecting most RNG (random number generator) calculations in scenes. High Karma skews the RNG in your favour, and vice versa. For example: if your chance of getting laid depends on "If Random(0, 100) < HotChick:attractiontoplayer" , max Karma would turn it into Random(0, 50) and minimum Karma would turn it into Random(0, 150). There's a perk to remove negative impact of Karma.
- The cheat options to 'undo' your Death, Imprisonment or STD will now, more immersively, consume a huge amount of Karma instead (as in: you already cheated Death, so it's only fair that you suffer a string of bad luck afterwards).
2/ New Achievements system: first 36 Achievements
- Tracks optional 'objectives' for the player to aim for, depending on play style and how you roleplay. Examples include having anal sex with n number of partners, become a millionaire, or keep mood above 90 for 30 consecutive days
- Rewards the player with permanent stat boosts which would have been very difficult to achieve in normal gameplay, plus perks points that can be used to unlock new perks
3/ New Perks system: first 13 perk trees
- These are powerful benefits to gameplay that can be unlocked by spending perk points earned from Achievements.
- Some are perk trees with multiple levels, some are unique single perks
- Examples include: minimum attraction level for all new NPCs you meet, earn monthly % interest on your wealth, your date responds well to all activities you take her out on (instead of moaning about half of them)
- Also includes a perk tree that softens (then eliminates at lvl 5) the impact of negative Karma - a good investment for those who want to play an evil character but don't want all the bad luck
4/ New menu that shows the available actions at the player's current location, meant to save you some repetitive clicking and scrolling. Also, double-clicking on a building will now make the player character go there.
5/ Fix some mistakes and inconsistencies in scene conditions. Special thanks to Lostlegends (who have also published a few mods for the game btw) for compiling the list for these.
6/ Other bug fixes and minor improvements, with a public beta testing period

esoom

Sep 6, 2017
Domestic violence, murder, imprisonment?

Sounds like my sort of game, can we dispose of the bodies?

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
- Karma works by affecting most RNG (random number generator) calculations in scenes. High Karma skews the RNG in your favour, and vice versa. For example: if your chance of getting laid depends on "If Random(0, 100) < HotChick:attractiontoplayer" , max Karma would turn it into Random(0, 50) and minimum Karma would turn it into Random(0, 150). There's a perk to remove negative impact of Karma.
Let's try to check your system like any other model - via extreme examples.
1) So your system saying that volunteer christian evangelist that spend whole life following&spreading his faith is super loved by girls and they would throw themselves on him?
2) Charismatic villain like Hannibal Lector is instinctively scare chicks that they would escape him?

Seriously?

Another set of tests.
1) Stopping domestic violence for your system is positive action. So it's okay to break into dom/sub relationship? You never met pairs that initially SEEMS to hate each other but in fact they're simply into such stuff?
2) Cheating by you is marked as negative action. So even if you're using hooker to reduce pressure while your lover in hospital / away / really busy with very important work - you'd done evil act? And even if your partner have a weak sexuality? Do you never met pairs where one of partners have too strong sexual drive and cheating from time to time and they both know it - but he/she never betraying partner with actually building relationship outside?

Also what about optional fetishes? They are "neutral"? Then your whole system is a fake. They're "bad"/"good"? Both will have counter-examples.

Then let's look on effects of "Karma". More chances to bang random girl? So you're saying that banging random girls is reward for good social behavior? SERIOUSLY?!
Your system EFFECTS are more like Charisma, not even Luck. But triggered via ethical actions. This is pure non-sense.

Final test. Is in real life "Luck" is somewhat related with your actions? It's very easily to check - if it is then we should easily catch all maniacs after a few victims... But we aren't. So no, your luck isn't related to ethics of your actions.

My suggestion - break "Karma" into Luck (random stat that VERY hard to raise) and something like "Notoriety" that negatively impact all social relationships for players doing "evil" acts.

• Angry

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
- The cheat options to 'undo' your Death, Imprisonment or STD will now, more immersively, consume a huge amount of Karma instead (as in: you already cheated Death, so it's only fair that you suffer a string of bad luck afterwards).
So we have an in-game CHEAT, but will be penalized IN GAME for using it? O_O Heh. I rarely ever saw such big mistakes in game development.

You should call player cheater, deny achievements or "hard mode", but weakening player character for cheating WITH YOUR TOOL?! This is just insanity.

All you would receive - cheating mods and/or trainers. Plus negative karma to yourself from angry and frustrated players :p

• Angry
Aug 8, 2017
Let's try to check your system like any other model - via extreme examples.
1) So your system saying that volunteer christian evangelist that spend whole life following&spreading his faith is super loved by girls and they would throw themselves on him?
2) Charismatic villain like Hannibal Lector is instinctively scare chicks that they would escape him?

<snip>
If you're going to look at edge cases, you should look at the actual edges, not how the concept behaves as everything approaches infinity. Let's take a closer look at your first two examples.

1. "volunteer christian evangelist that spend whole life following&spreading his faith is super loved by girls and they would throw themselves on him"
The example event will still never trigger if the other party is not attracted to our evangelist. On the other hand, if the other person's attraction was at max, the event would always trigger, whether our evangelist was at neutral karma or max. The biggest effect is that there are more people now who will always trigger the event, rather than only sometimes.
2. "Charismatic villain like Hannibal Lector is instinctively scare chicks that they would escape him?"
This person will still have some success with the example event. However, there are more people who will just never get the event to fire.

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
It's actually more the case of replacing the cheat options with something more immersive (that are no longer straight-up cheats) so that the consequences actually mean something. Before, it was like "you died! Don't worry, though, just click this button that I conveniently put in front of you and the game will just forget your death happening and everything goes on." Now, it's not so much cheating, but it's more 'paying for a second chance'. The player can actually be slightly worried about dying now.
Btw, not sure why so much fuss about karma? Even ignoring the perk tree that takes out its negative impact, the game's open source and most of the game's data is all in moddable text files, basically everything can be disabled. If karma isn't for you,just change both min and max to 50 in karma.lpstat.

Robert Monotoli

Jun 16, 2018
It's actually more the case of replacing the cheat options with something more immersive (that are no longer straight-up cheats) so that the consequences actually mean something. Before, it was like "you died! Don't worry, though, just click this button that I conveniently put in front of you and the game will just forget your death happening and everything goes on." Now, it's not so much cheating, but it's more 'paying for a second chance'. The player can actually be slightly worried about dying now.
Btw, not sure why so much fuss about karma? Even ignoring the perk tree that takes out its negative impact, the game's open source and most of the game's data is all in moddable text files, basically everything can be disabled. If karma isn't for you,just change both min and max to 50 in karma.lpstat.
In the view of the controversial reception that the karma system has received, I would suggest keeping an option in mind, if sufficient demand arises for it, to add a sandbox mode for those who wanted greater freedom without constraints imposed by karma system. The mode would, of course, disable achievements (though it could be restored by coding given that this is open-source).

To be sure, though, even in the present state as it is in 2.8 version without karma system, it is not quite a full sandbox experience, I suppose, since you still suffered negative consequences from your decisions. For example, failing to recover energy sufficiently in time, getting caught cheating, and so on.

I guess the experience as it is currently in pre-2.9 state would be more accurately a partial sandbox mode where your decisions doesn't have a long-term consequence, as opposed to the short-term and immediate ones, which the karma system appeared to be addressing. It sounds almost like reputation is one of the things that it simulates. I don't know if I am way off on this so please correct me if I am mistaken in the intended purpose of this new system.

Demiare

Sep 16, 2016
I'm sorry and don't try to offend you in any way, but I found idea of any "Karma" in a game with bestiality module that were developed for at least 2 patches recently as completely crazy one and more like mockery. :)

And if you don't noticed - I'm ALSO offended by it's "positive" impact. Your game is sandbox one. Concept of "Greater Good" and "Demonic Evil" isn't fitting here. It's artificial limitation - for what purpose?

Instead of making bad actions, well, REALLY bad (in real life most murderers are arrested and jailed sooner or later and so on) - you're instead including artificial illogical penalty, but in fact you're simply "taxing" players with 5 perks points for playing fantasy villain in "modern" world.

Look for example on Rimworld sandbox game. You simply can't avoid penalties for being cannibal or murderer without massive cheating. So if you aren't cheater - you should deal with consequences (your colonist bad mental state because of evil deeds).

And what doing you? Draining character "Luck" and allowing to play a tax to avoid it? Where is a logic? Every additional limitation in sandbox game should have a logic or gameplay behind. We're loving this genre exactly for being free to play in whatever style we want.

It's actually more the case of replacing the cheat options with something more immersive (that are no longer straight-up cheats)
Then you're ruining your game. Look on any good sandbox game - most of them have some kind of devtools or cheats. Because sometimes player want to build something REALLY crazy and cheats are needed.

3.30 star(s) 116 Votes