Vinfamy

creating moddable 3D life simulator
Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Is there better camera angles? when they have sex i can just about see their heads at the bottom of the screen, blowjobs are either my back, the sky or the womens view. am i missing something?
You can rotate the camera (both during the map view and during sex scenes for all perspectives) by moving your mouse while holding the Middle Mouse Button or holding Alt

Apr 7, 2018
@Vinfamy
If I'm not mistaken you've only got rewards set up for 1 tier? If you were to bump between 5, 10 and 15 and add some voting system for focused content I really think you'd be pulling more patrons. Right now outside of just supporting a project there really isn't an incentive to patron the project, patreon doesn't aim to be a donation site but more of a you pay X in exchange for X. Perhaps specific types of events could get focused on or made based on a patron vote of X tier with tier X getting 3 scene votes, tier y getting 6 etc. and saving like 60% to your own preference? It's the model most successful patreon accounts use, incentivising higher tiers by offering a say in progress or providing votes in extra content.

I'm enjoying the content so far though I encounter bugs where I get stuck in a scene that never started relatively often. I've also noticed it's difficult to get certain scenes such as incest relationships to occur despite the fact I've got it sitting at 100 with next to everything else at max. NTR scenes are also pretty rare, Netori every so often with the same couple but NTR pretty much never happens.

esoom

Sep 6, 2017
Well, criminal and police are second on the poll (still publicly available to vote on btw) for next career to add so ... might not be a 'if only' forever

(Ps: Third actually because the patrons prefer doctor/nurse and they weight more, but still pretty populalr, definitely won't be in v1.10 but a possibility in the future for sure)
Awesome, I want to open a meat pie shop and lure people in late at night, please make it happen :).

Reactions: Vinfamy

huhula

Oct 1, 2017
I found several empty files in Scenes directories, is it intentionally (possibly for future use)? These are the following files:
trophydating.lpscene
form_factions.lpscene
models_and_bottles.lpscene (this one sounds interesting :))

Maybe there is a bug with the purchase of a movie (or just do not know where to buy). In files there is stock_movie stat, watch_a_movie_in action but no buy_movie action. And some scenes have a starting parameter "watch_a_movie_in".

boblicticious

Jun 16, 2017
Is there a key to press to go back into map mode? I don't usually have to think about it cause when it goes into scene mode for an event it automatically goes back after it's done. But I alt-tabbed out to do something and when I got back in I was in scene mode at my home.

EDIT: got an event that when it finished then put me back into map mode... so I'm set... but if there is a button to go back into map mode, it would be useful to know for future reference if this happens again.

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
@JonathanSmiftIII @Jeffpool
I appreciate your concern about my Patreon.
I do have "Your vote will weight more in all polls" as a reward, whether this should be weighted also by their donation amount is something I can think about (although in the last poll, most patrons are happy to have their votes count the same as any member of the public). Personally, I'd prefer to not dictate how much people donate and leave it to them hence why I only have one tier.
The Patreon was launched only two weeks ago so I'm happy to remain patient and am very thankful for people who have donated already. Honestly, I don't think not using tiers is the biggest issue - I think the bigger issue is the game will always have a smaller target audience than a RenPy or RPGMaker game (heck, it has less downloads per update than even my least popular mod on LoversLab that took me 5 minutes to make, this bothers me wayyyyyyy more than having less income on Patreon) because:
- It only runs on Windows
- The market is currently flooded with thousands of games (that are mostly the same and still at 0.1 alpha) so many people never find out LifePlay even exists ...
- Because it's a full 3d game, only people with a decent PC can run it. Pretty much any PCs can run a RenPy game
- People are so used to seeing the detailed Daz3d characters. They see LifePlay screenshots and go 'what shit graphics!' and don't really care how there's a massive difference between taking minutes/hours to render one still image and rendering 60 live images per second
- A unique gameplay = a learning curve. More feature additions every update = more learning curve. Many people are just not patient enough and give up on this learning curve easily. Meanwhile, RenPy/ RPGMaker/ Twine = no learning curve whatsoever because they've played 100 games with exactly the same gameplay

On the later points, I'm happy to make the game better looking and more accessible to beginners via more in-game tutorials, but making it look as good as daz3d still renders and as straightforward to play as RenPy/RPGMaker/Twine is just not realistic.

So yeah, at least for the foreseeable future, LifePlay is always going to be a victim of its own complexity and of being (may I say) a bit of a pioneer in this type of games in the indie scene. I realized this very early on after the first release, but I was happy to accept that it's a high-effort-low-reward project anyway because I have wanted to see this type of game for years and no-one else was making them and if someone would, it wouldn't be for free (I bet if EA makes it, each map will be a mini DLC that costs a few dollars :) ).

As I said many times before, more people playing my game is a much bigger motivator for me than money could ever be. I couldn't care less about getting rich - My goal for focusing full-time on the game is $1,500, as anyone living in London would tell you, this is basically an intern's wage in an average-paying industry. The lack of income from the game, even if it continues for months, years or forever (again, I'm still patient and hopeful and truly appreciate people who have donated so far), will only ever bother me as in "I still have to spend the majority of my time doing non-gaming-related freelance work to pay my bills - I'd much rather spend these hours working on the game instead that can result in so much more content.". So if you truly want to support the project but are not in a financial position to donate and don't have the technical skill to make mod/ contribute on Github, please spread the word and help promote the game! If more people actually know about the game, more people will play it and some (and I totally understand this is always gonna be a small percentage) of them may even donate.

On the other point: If you want a particular scene to trigger more often, look for the appropriate *.lpscene in the Content/Modules and change the timeout line to a smaller number.

I found several empty files in Scenes directories, is it intentionally (possibly for future use)? These are the following files:
trophydating.lpscene
form_factions.lpscene
models_and_bottles.lpscene (this one sounds interesting :))

Maybe there is a bug with the purchase of a movie (or just do not know where to buy). In files there is stock_movie stat, watch_a_movie_in action but no buy_movie action. And some scenes have a starting parameter "watch_a_movie_in".
Not intentional :). I'll remove these files in the next version
Thank you for noting the lack of buy_movie! I'll add it in the next version

Is there a key to press to go back into map mode? I don't usually have to think about it cause when it goes into scene mode for an event it automatically goes back after it's done. But I alt-tabbed out to do something and when I got back in I was in scene mode at my home.

EDIT: got an event that when it finished then put me back into map mode... so I'm set... but if there is a button to go back into map mode, it would be useful to know for future reference if this happens again.
Yeah, this happened to me once in my last testing too and someone else reported this, but I couldn't find the exact cause of what triggers this movement of the camera (it's not a scene trigger, the camera just moves into the position that it would for a scene. If it was a scene, the magnifying glass and the clock UI won't be there.)
Will keep an eye on this bug, if anyone can pinpoint me to exactly what causes this, I would be very thankful.

huhula

Oct 1, 2017
I created the "buy a movie" action, tested in the game and it works. I saved it to "LifePlay_64bit \ LifePlay \ Content \ Modules \ vin_Base \ Actions \ shopping".

dspeed

Oct 15, 2016
Linux and Mac builds are something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I just don't own any Linux or Mac devices to build and test.
However, the full source code of the game is available on so if any Linux or Mac users want to have a crack at building it for their platforms, it would be much appreciated.
Build failed but that could be a problem my end. Output log attached. Could you build it targeted to Linux from your end as per here:

You wouldn't need to support this version, could just be a proof of concept and others could then try to fix any issues?

HazelBride

Aug 10, 2017
Great work on the game. In the character creation, is there a way to rotate in the other direction and disable the character from moving? I'm a bit nitpicky when it comes to my characters' appearances and would like to fine tune them but it's difficult if they're always moving.

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Build failed but that could be a problem my end. Output log attached. Could you build it targeted to Linux from your end as per here:

You wouldn't need to support this version, could just be a proof of concept and others could then try to fix any issues?
thank you. Will have a shot later today.

Great work on the game. In the character creation, is there a way to rotate in the other direction and disable the character from moving? I'm a bit nitpicky when it comes to my characters' appearances and would like to fine tune them but it's difficult if they're always moving.
No way yet, but good suggestions. I'll add two buttons for rotating vertically and stop moving in the next version

3lfscout

Jan 8, 2018
I've known some mods of yours so I figured ima try this game here out

3 things I noticed first:

I noticed the dumbest thing one can possibly do is leftclick character portrait, that results in a permanent list of stats, only way to get the head and the surrounding symbols back (that I found so far) is starting new.
>>A simple "undo" of that dead end would save quite some time.

The start feels very Sims-like, as in you want anything custom, you first need to load a Default character in a Default city, and then you can do things like stats editing, sexchange, etc.
Well, that is basically a "new game"
Having a saved game means first the new game procedure (loading all defaults), then some wondering why it hasn't stopped loading yet, and suddenly everything looks different (the saved game was loaded)
So, in the case you wanna start a new game, but have a saved game, you first gotta go through 2 full loadings in a row, then you can change city, etc.
>>Personally I'd prefer launching game, followed by a menu (choice), and me deciding what's next

I also noticed that the game is stuck on (Hz+2) frames, which is something I don't like - in any game. Being stuck above the own refreshrate results in wasted ressources. Means more "Loud" than necessary, for stuff that isn't even displayed.
My normal "fix" for that doesn't grip - and I don't know why. So far I have never experienced anything that can bypass a (freshly created) nvinspector profile.
>>I don't know UE4 creation options or which UE version it is, but I'd prefer instead of a (redundant, as they are constant) "Show FPS" in Settings a way to get rid of the overkill.

After swallowing those 3 pills, and while staying vigilant (to not kill it with a single leftclick), and figuring some stuff out, like getting a home, and turning on modules (especially turning on modules), it's a nice game.

dumbskull

Jun 21, 2017
thank you. Will have a shot later today.

No way yet, but good suggestions. I'll add two buttons for rotating vertically and stop moving in the next version
Could we have a camera there that's similar to the sex scene camera? With free panning and zooming? It currently takes about 40 clicks to fully spin the characted around. Would be nice to move the camera by holding down a button and moving the mouse.

I noticed the dumbest thing one can possibly do is leftclick character portrait, that results in a permanent list of stats, only way to get the head and the surrounding symbols back (that I found so far) is starting new.
>>A simple "undo" of that dead end would save quite some time.
Right clicking on anywhere in the map hides that stat overlay.

huhula

Oct 1, 2017
@Vinfamy
How exactly does the Scene frequency and Pregnancy term multiplier setting work? Higher number means better (more scenes, faster pregnancy) or vice versa?
And how exactly the pregnancy term multiplier shortens / prolongs the duration of the pregnancy? For example, if the pregnancy should take only three months, what number should you put in the multiplier?

Would it be possible to add a button to reset the settings to their default state? I've played a bit with the settings and now I do not know what the default setting was :)

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Could we have a camera there that's similar to the sex scene camera? With free panning and zooming? It currently takes about 40 clicks to fully spin the characted around. Would be nice to move the camera by holding down a button and moving the mouse.

Right clicking on anywhere in the map hides that stat overlay.
There's a technical challenge to having full 3d camera control in the character customization menu, hence why it's not there in the first place. I'll give it another shot in the next version though.

@Vinfamy
How exactly does the Scene frequency and Pregnancy term multiplier setting work? Higher number means better (more scenes, faster pregnancy) or vice versa?
And how exactly the pregnancy term multiplier shortens / prolongs the duration of the pregnancy? For example, if the pregnancy should take only three months, what number should you put in the multiplier?

Would it be possible to add a button to reset the settings to their default state? I've played a bit with the settings and now I do not know what the default setting was :)
Higher scene frequency => scenes trigger more often
Number of days in game to pregnancy = 280 * pregnancy multiplier
If you want pregnancy to last 3 months, the pregnancy term multiplier should be 0.323
You can easily reset all settings to default by deleting: C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local\LifePlay\Saved\SaveGames\GameSettings.sav

Reactions: AnonF21 and huhula

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017

• Rework and improve the system for jobs in the game to allow for more variety and complexity
  • Expand the office career path using the new job system
  • Add the 'University Student' and 'University Lecturer' career paths using the new job system (don't worry, other options that are popular in the polls will make their appearances in further future versions)
  • Add ways for the player to sabotage a relationship / marriage between two NPCs (for example in order to get with one of them yourself)
  • Add gender and sexual orientation to the 'NPC Distribution Customization' menu
  • Child growing up and parenthood scenes (non-sexual until 18 obviously)
  • Update the in-game tutorials to include the new features added over the last few versions
  • More camera movement and Freeze button for the character customization menu
Estimated Release Date for LifePlay v1.10: 6 - 9 September 2018

Vinfamy

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017

As promised, here's the untested Linux build. No idea if it works:

Thank you for your help!

Are there going to be more character poses in future releases? An example would be a seduction pose, limb movements when trying to express an emotion etc....
Yes, but as I will upgrade the character models themselves sooner or later, I just want to wait until after then to make more poses / animations

Reactions: AnonF21

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
Is it just me or does a relative becoming your partner lose their relative status in the process (and possibly screw up living location)? I had my sister living with me, asked her to be my girlfriend, and now I never seem to get any of the family events or living-with-partner events (nor do I have an option to ask her to move in with me).

Maybe I've just been getting unlucky, I don't know - only had about 10 minutes to test, I'll try more later

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Is it just me or does a relative becoming your partner lose their relative status in the process (and possibly screw up living location)? I had my sister living with me, asked her to be my girlfriend, and now I never seem to get any of the family events or living-with-partner events (nor do I have an option to ask her to move in with me).

Maybe I've just been getting unlucky, I don't know - only had about 10 minutes to test, I'll try more later

I asked some of the same and think he said would still live with you, but status change from relative to gf/bf whatever. He said if you right click when at home, you should be able to ask for sex from the partner, so if that work, should still live with you.

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
I asked some of the same and think he said would still live with you, but status change from relative to gf/bf whatever.
Yeah, I assumed the contact-screen status would change, I just figured they'd be flagged as both partner and relative. Kind of a shame they suddenly become ineligible for family events.

if you right click when at home, you should be able to ask for sex from the partner, so if that work, should still live with you.
Seems to work... not sure why I'm not getting any relevant events for it though.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Yeah, I assumed the contact-screen status would change, I just figured they'd be flagged as both partner and relative. Kind of a shame they suddenly become ineligible for family events.

Seems to work... not sure why I'm not getting any relevant events for it though.

Well.... most of the events leading up to the bf/gf path on the incest path, is obsolete/void once that stage is reached. On the other hand, it probably should given room for some new unique ones. If you take pregnancy as example. I know before the bf/gf event there is that "oh dear, got pregnant with relative" moment. Is that void once become bf/gf? Idk.

It does lose a bit immersion, and feels a bit like "insert generic NPC here"....

In a mom/son scenario, the son had suddenly 2 siblings.. wonder how that work, lol. Maybe "half" ones on the fathers side that is not present :p

3.30 star(s) 117 Votes