LarryK

Jan 9, 2020
I haven't seen an update for at least 2 or months i think
Even AWAM post more frequent updates that this xD
and is bad cause i really like this game
If you read through this form, you'd see:
1) Dev (NaughtyRoads) is here almost every day.
2) Dev does this for us in his spare time, on top of a job, family etc. and WITHOUT a staff... ie. graphics, coding, writing, music.... all a ONE person endeavor.

So, from me and countless others... THANKS NR, and take the time you need, we know you'll give us a treat when it's ready.

someone007

Jun 5, 2017
I haven't seen an update for at least 2 or months i think
Even AWAM post more frequent updates that this xD
and is bad cause i really like this game
NaughtyRoad is active in this thread and is reading/reacting to posts all the time. Their patreon is regularly updated with posts. Check it out. Just one person working on a game can take time. Specially if they are learning new things as they go along. Just be patient and good things will come.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
is there a $$$ goal on Patreon where you'd consider making this a fulltime job?
Interesting question. Considered, yeah, but as a goal, no.

Income is just one part of it, and sure, it'd need to be on level with my dayjob and cover a myriad of hidden costs that are taken care of when you have a job, which it isn't at this moment, by some margin, but there's more.

Being the primary breadwinner in my household also means job security is a big thing to consider. Who knows what this scene will look like one year from now, or five. It sure didn't look this way a year or three back.

Then, there's the social aspect. Having worked nearly exclusively from home over the past couple of months really cuts down on the social interactions over the day, even with frequent calls and online meetings with colleagues. That's something that would be reduced even further. I'm feel that as humans we need to sort of bounce of other people to keep sane ( ), and even though I don't always enjoy that and tend to gravitate towards living like a hermit and being quite content with that, I'm also sort of afraid that somewhere down that path there's an appearance in some real live show where people come by to clean out the rooms in your house filled with stacks of empty pizza boxes and chinese takeaway containers that reach to the ceiling.

So, there's more there than just pure "give me X and I'll do it." That may work fine for some developers who're at a different stage in their life, without a mortgage, possibly without steady income, and definitely without a significant other that raises some hard questions when you come up with a wild plan.
However, the extra income so far did allow me to cut back a little on my day job and spend that time on LomL, which is what I love doing best anyways, so that suits me fine.

Dolphin3000

May 9, 2017
For those who have just discovered this game, and are in doubt if the game is abandoned or not:

1- The game is NOT abandoned.
2- About 4 months between updates is normal for this game. (so the next update ETA* could be between Sep/Oct 2020)
3- Every new update has lots of content.
4- There is only one developer doing all the job for this game, and he has a real life to take care of too. So be patient.

*The game developer doesn't establish a date for the next update. It is ready when it is ready. The ETA is only based on how long players had to wait between updates in the past.

someone007

Jun 5, 2017

Income is just one part of it, and sure, it'd need to be on level with my dayjob and cover a myriad of hidden costs that are taken care of when you have a job, which it isn't at this moment, by some margin, but there's more.

Being the primary breadwinner in my household also means job security is a big thing to consider. Who knows what this scene will look like one year from now, or five. It sure didn't look this way a year or three back.

Then, there's the social aspect. Having worked nearly exclusively from home over the past couple of months really cuts down on the social interactions over the day, even with frequent calls and online meetings with colleagues. That's something that would be reduced even further. I'm feel that as humans we need to sort of bounce of other people to keep sane ( ), and even though I don't always enjoy that and tend to gravitate towards living like a hermit and being quite content with that, I'm also sort of afraid that somewhere down that path there's an appearance in some real live show where people come by to clean out the rooms in your house filled with stacks of empty pizza boxes and chinese takeaway containers that reach to the ceiling.

So, there's more there than just pure "give me X and I'll do it." That may work fine for some developers who're at a different stage in their life, without a mortgage, possibly without steady income, and definitely without a significant other that raises some hard questions when you come up with a wild plan.
However, the extra income so far did allow me to cut back a little on my day job and spend that time on LomL, which is what I love doing best anyways, so that suits me fine.
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett

tombeir

Oct 9, 2018

Have you thought about what you will do after LoML? Will you do other games?

Reactions: naughtyroad

DaisyChained

Feb 3, 2019

Well if you ever made it big enough you could start your own company, with your own staff and office, like the wildlife devs did. They're like 10 people working on that game now! While a bit of a pipedream currently maybe, it does hypothetically resolve the social aspect, maybe even improve it since you chose your colleagues!

• Thinking Face

g6107419

Nov 25, 2018

It's always an interesting conversation piece moving from office work to WFH constantly, I work in a DevOps role and have been WFH for just over 5 months now, I sorta know where you're coming from in terms of social interactions.

It was more just an interesting point if that was even something you had considered as part of making games, I think it's a rather complex thing when you consider everything mentioned.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Have you considered changing the art direction of a future project or will it keep the same, original style? (because of the incessant amount of whining on the forums)
No, not really, although that's not to say the art direction might not be different from LomL (it sorta depends on the project and what that requires), but it'll definitely never be slapping a pussy on hottest selling model in the daz3d store, dialing tits to 11 and starting rendering away in that big mansion they had on sale with some OotB poses. All of this is a longs ways off though as we have quite a bit of LomL still left to do.
(edit) I don't mind well phrased criticism though, but stuff like "lulz gobblins/<racial slur>/etc." only sort of strengthens my conviction I'm on the right path.

It's always an interesting conversation piece moving from office work to WFH constantly, I work in a DevOps role and have been WFH for just over 5 months now, I sorta know where you're coming from in terms of social interactions. (...)
Very similar to my situation indeed.

Cokebaths

May 30, 2020
No, not really, although that's not to say the art direction might not be different from LomL (it sorta depends on the project and what that requires), but it'll definitely never be slapping a pussy on hottest selling model in the daz3d store, dialing tits to 11 and starting rendering away in that big mansion they had on sale with some OotB poses. All of this is a longs ways off though as we have quite a bit of LomL still left to do.
(edit) I don't mind well phrased criticism though, but stuff like "lulz gobblins/<racial slur>/etc." only sort of strengthens my conviction I'm on the right path.
Good on you, man. It's nice to have someone taking their own direction and not using the usual catalog model women. Admittedly, I was one of those fools who looked over the game for that very reason initially lmao. I've learned my lesson though

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes