Bill_Buttlicker

Jul 13, 2018
It's always funny to me when people accuse devs of "milking" games...Like, you know that all the support you give (if any) is voluntary, right? You can just choose not to pay a damn at any moment in time. The game is free, after all.

It would be another thing if this was a paid game, like it was on Steam or something...But Patreon is mostly a tip jar, not a place to sell products.
I suspect those people who constantly complain about "milking" are really just jealous. Probably also desperate for attention.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Does that say 2525 hours of work on this update (since January)? That's like 250+ hours each month - on top of NR's full-time job?! That's 8+ hour days, on average, every day of the week if NR took no days off - just on this update.

Damn!
Well, the other job isn't exactly a full-time job, it's 32 hrs a week, which leaves me on something like 12 to 13 working hours for LomL on the weekends and one workday that's left, and 4 to 5 hours on the evenings of the working days, so it's not exactly 16 hr. working days. :D
Throw in some vacation time from that other job (since there's nowhere to go with the current situation, might as well spend that doing what I love, and NL vacation times are pretty generous) and you should end up somewhere near that number. :coffee:

dark_mark

Oct 24, 2021
It's always funny to me when people accuse devs of "milking" games...Like, you know that all the support you give (if any) is voluntary, right? You can just choose not to pay a damn at any moment in time. The game is free, after all.

It would be another thing if this was a paid game, like it was on Steam or something...But Patreon is mostly a tip jar, not a place to sell products.
Too true, in all honesty there is no such thing as milking since patrons have the ability to pull their pledge at any time. Those that accuse a dev of milking usually have no skin in the game.

cba123

May 26, 2017
Y'all, I think at the end of the day what he wants to do with his life is his business. I get it, i get it. Number crunching and speculating is fun but like... don't over complicate things

1. If you like the game and want to support the dev, then do so.

2. If you do not want to, then do not.

Even if he made $100k USD a month and took 2 years per update, you're still left with the two options above ;).

Also as someone who does programming related passion products for fun, you know how you make a passion product not fun? Make it your job. And if you're not okay funding someone's passion project that's totally okay! See option 2

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Y'all, I think at the end of the day what he wants to do with his life is his business. I get it, i get it. Number crunching and speculating is fun but like... don't over complicate things

1. If you like the game and want to support the dev, then do so.

2. If you do not want to, then do not.

Even if he made $100k USD a month and took 2 years per update, you're still left with the two options above ;).

Also as someone who does programming related passion products for fun, you know how you make a passion product not fun? Make it your job. And if you're not okay funding someone's passion project that's totally okay! See option 2
Spot on.

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes