jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
It's often a personality type thing, Naughty. For quite a proportion of people (there are only 16 Myers Briggs Types) every choice is a challenge - one of the choices is optimal and the others are not. And for some types that is an enjoyable challenge, while for others it makes them fearful that they may have chosen the sub-optimal option. It isn't just other games that have conditioned them to feel this way, but their cultural and social upbringing, environment, etc. Many people find choices stressful, and walkthroughs offer a simple reassurance, diminishing that stress (rational, justified or not) makes for a more relaxed, enjoyable experience.

Many of the choices can mean missing a joke, some can mean missing a scene, and in a few cases possibly an entire path, and there's not necessarily any way to know beforehand which of those types of choice has just been presented. You'd be amazed what anxiety that can cause in some people. And that's an actual percentage of people, not a fraction of 1%.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to have a walkthrough, or even colour-code your choices for severity or importance, or make any allowance at all. It's your project, and you get to choose who it appeals to, and who it will frustrate. I'm just pointing out it's a legitimate thing, and a real thing, and might be something to consider anew with an understanding of the perspective.
Quick reply (which for me is unusual) - I think NaughtyRoad has fully considered this prior to even writing one line of code for this game. The character development of Denise and her dealing with anxiety and facing decisions, along with how we choose to address her anxiety shows that he has a pretty decent grasp. That is on top of his admission of taking "responsibility to make sure that your choices reward you rather than punish you."

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
It's often a personality type thing, Naughty. For quite a proportion of people (there are only 16 Myers Briggs Types) every choice is a challenge - one of the choices is optimal and the others are not. And for some types that is an enjoyable challenge, while for others it makes them fearful that they may have chosen the sub-optimal option. It isn't just other games that have conditioned them to feel this way, but their cultural and social upbringing, environment, etc. Many people find choices stressful, and walkthroughs offer a simple reassurance, diminishing that stress (rational, justified or not) makes for a more relaxed, enjoyable experience.

Many of the choices can mean missing a joke, some can mean missing a scene, and in a few cases possibly an entire path, and there's not necessarily any way to know beforehand which of those types of choice has just been presented. You'd be amazed what anxiety that can cause in some people. And that's an actual percentage of people, not a fraction of 1%.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to have a walkthrough, or even colour-code your choices for severity or importance, or make any allowance at all. It's your project, and you get to choose who it appeals to, and who it will frustrate. I'm just pointing out it's a legitimate thing, and a real thing, and might be something to consider anew with an understanding of the perspective.
The Solution to all those problems is simple. People need to do what i did. Make six different installments and play everything with a different approach. Maybe that is overcomplicated but i always use all my saves.

Either that or it is because i am old and to dumb to understand a easier way. Could be both honestly :ROFLMAO:

JamieSadistic

Dec 19, 2018
I fucking figured this shit out! I understand why Denise was bullied at school AND why her friend was sent to her grandparents! I'm not going to tell you why though because it'll rob you of a surprise later on in the story but just know!! Just know that I know!
This excites me and explains so many things to me that I previously missed. Perhaps it's very obvious and there's hardly any surprise at all and I'm just an imbecilic moron who takes too long to catch on but still... I KNOW!

Edit: I thorougly enjoy that pregnant married chick from the office, Sara. Hopefully there will be some more one on one scenes with her later on.

darlic

Feb 27, 2017
superb update as always, with NR's work you never go wrong :cool:

If I really have to issue a small, not too serious complaint, the "ritual" scene ending was a bit underwhelming, I was hoping for something much spicier than that, given all the previous teasing and especially Zarah's promise, but I guess I'll have to wait some more for that, I hope not too much though :p

• Love
Reactions: naughtyroad

red_faced

Jul 23, 2020
Cheers for the confirmation. I've posted a ticket to have the links removed from the post, and added a message to the op.

Did I ever tell you guys how much I hate the walkthrough mod? Goddamn that lazily made piece of crap is a thorn in my side.
There are only a couple of games I've played here that warrant a walk through mod, and this is not one of them.

Most people are trying to make jack-off material, not Space Quest IV

Trasher2018

Engaged Member
Aug 21, 2018
naughtyroad

how about a small recap (optional?) before a new chapter? I mean ... it is quite some time between them and I really cant remember where we left :p

So no idea why we are in a car and why she is anxious ... :/

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Could someone upload the file w06d07_s03.rpy? please!
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess you did not see this message in the OP?

1639185948880.png

Please let me know if that solves your issue so I don't have to drop everything and spend the rest of my evening testing to see if this is an actual problem that could affect others and roll out a hotfix, cheers! Note, you'll have to restart chapter 6, it's that bad.

Mumbles: this fucking piece of shit walkthrough mod is getting to be a real support nightmare.

CrazyRabbit

Engaged Member
Oct 30, 2019
Just finished the chapter 6 and goddamn that was good.
Always a peak writing skill, that's a given ; the twist about Ethel being the one who died :)cry:), Denise's scenes and her fears (terrifying, those were !), and the final scene with Macy.... everything was perfect. Lacking bears but aside from that, a masterpiece once again.

I can't wait for next chapter and being reunited with the girls. A big thanks to naughtyroad

Portgas6620

Feb 19, 2020
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess you did not see this message in the OP?

View attachment 1539285

Please let me know if that solves your issue so I don't have to drop everything and spend the rest of my evening testing to see if this is an actual problem that could affect others and roll out a hotfix, cheers! Note, you'll have to restart chapter 6, it's that bad.

Mumbles: this fucking piece of shit walkthrough mod is getting to be a real support nightmare.
I'm not using the mod in this version. The error continues if I used it in previous versions?

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
I'm not using the mod in this version. The error continues if I used it in previous versions?
Your guess is as good as mine honestly.

What that piece of trash does is basically overwrite every line of code from chapter 4 and 5 with complete duplicates of their own, so they can put a color or a menu line. That's a few hundred source files? Some of which rolled back to versions 1.5 years old by now?

Writing some code right now to detect someone fucking that badly with my source files and exiting the game if they did, with a warning, because it's reflecting very poorly on my coding skills.

Please make sure to drop by the original mod maker and tell them how their quick-and-dirty churn-one-out, collect-some-coffees-and-run programming skills fucked up your game, it's important feedback to help them grow as content creators.

edit: Did I ever tell you guys how much I hate the walkthrough mod?

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes