jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
Female characters look kind of ugly, does their design improve later on or is this part of the appeal for people here?
  1. Your opinion is noted but was never solicited.
  2. From OP:
Note from moderators: Look at sample pics provided.
If it's not your thing, please don't comment about it. We will delete those comments.
Also, time between updates is long, but updates are huge.

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
I would actually state that the characters are conventionally attractive, and that it is only the thrust of western society advertising executives and cosmetics companies that has forced the unconventionally attractive mega-model standard into mainstream. All the schmutz and padding added to super models and theatrical stars by their handlers are just gilding the sow's ear, so to speak.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
yes, having non conventionally attractive characters is part of the appeal, most people react the same way you did at the beginning, but almost every time people end up loving them with all the imperfections.
If by "imperfections" you mean the characters aren't off the shelf DAZ models that look like store mannequins, then yes, I agree it's part of their appeal. I myself liked them straight from the beginning for that.

Wonko_the_Sane*

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2021
I would actually state that the characters are conventionally attractive, and that it is only the thrust of western society advertising executives and cosmetics companies that has forced the unconventionally attractive mega-model standard into mainstream. All the schmutz and padding added to super models and theatrical stars by their handlers are just gilding the sow's ear, so to speak.
The audience also gets attached to what they're used to, and the majority of devs wouldn't know a morph dial if it bit them on the ass. They want their prepackaged "Daz Originals"!!
Naughtyroad sculpted people.

InvaderZim

Jun 18, 2019
Or, lord help me since I'm a mean bastard, I can't but have a line from the song "Mensa, a whole new ballgame" by the band "Gravmar&the gravediggers" running through my head on repeat

-.... having sex every night at your loft, but only virtually, with Lara Croft

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
There must be a ton of people drawn to this thread whose daily life contain a boatload more interactions with supermodels than mine does. Only explanation I have..

Lucky them I guess ;)
Well...if you spend all day playing VNs you will interact with tons of (fictional) supermodels :ROFLMAO:

And that's the issue here, people developed a "standard" on women looks, by playing tons of other VNs filled with conventionally attractive women. And that's why they are particularly put off when presented with non conventional beauty, of course, that is also the reason plenty of us decided to give it a try to this VN, so It kinda helps too :D

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
Well...if you spend all day playing VNs you will interact with tons of (fictional) supermodels :ROFLMAO:

And that's the issue here, people developed a "standard" on women looks, by playing tons of other VNs filled with conventionally attractive women. And that's why they are particularly put off when presented with non conventional beauty, of course, that is also the reason plenty of us decided to give it a try to this VN, so It kinda helps too :D
They all should marry then.

My Wife is beautiful and i tell her everyday. Cause i forgot it once and since that day i wear a dental bridge.....help me!!!

Cause eye lies in the beauty of the beholder.....No no..... Beholder lies in the eye of the beauty.......that sounds also not right.....
Now i have it. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Ha still got it.

I smell a little but nobody is fooling me linguistically :ROFLMAO:

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
In their defence, if those virtual women are the only ones some of these people can ever hope to interact with, it is understandable it has become a standard for them :D

Radoslaw Wolf

May 23, 2017
Tbh, not much I can add there. Unless it's reproducible with a non-modded save on one of my own builds, I can't really offer any help. For what it's worth, it's complaining about a specific image there, it might be worth while checking out if it does indeed exist, and isn't corrupted.

For the record, I've seen quite a bit of graphical glitches and artifacts on screen that come with high compressed images in LomlL(most noticably blue horizontal/vertical lines along cutting seams in sprites) so I'd recommend against it when playing Light of my Life or other sprite based games using an approach similar to mine.

There's some licensing issues there. Daz licenses prohibit distributing "baked" versions of their assets. If you're able to reproduce the girls using their assets, you could 3d print to your heart's content for your own use, but I'm not ready yet to release the model presets to the public yet.
Same story with the full version o__O
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' 'images/paperdoll/denise and macy/dungeon/flying/macy denise fly_boltpose meyesopen.webp'>:
Exception: Could not load image 'images/paperdoll/denise and macy/dungeon/flying/macy denise fly_boltpose meyesopen.webp': error('Failed to allocate SDL_Surface',)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 316, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\main.py", line 578, in main
run(restart)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\main.py", line 143, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 908, in run_context
context.run()
File "story/SceneDispatcher.rpyc", line 9, in script call
File "story/w06/w06.rpyc", line 3, in script call
File "story/w06/w06d02/w06d02.rpyc", line 5, in script call
File "story/w06/w06d02/scenes/w06d02_bonus.rpyc", line 1121, in script
File "story/SceneDispatcher.rpyc", line 9, in script call
File "story/w06/w06.rpyc", line 3, in script call
File "story/w06/w06d02/w06d02.rpyc", line 5, in script call
File "story/w06/w06d02/scenes/w06d02_bonus.rpyc", line 1121, in script
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 708, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1345, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\character.py", line 1142, in __call__
self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\character.py", line 842, in do_display
**display_args)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\character.py", line 591, in display_say
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3194, in interact_core
self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2094, in draw_screen
renpy.config.screen_height,
File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 490, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6805)
rv = render(root, width, height, st, st)
File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3520)
rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 722, in render
surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:4075)
cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3520)
File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:4075)
File "accelerator.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\transition.py", line 361, in render
top = render(self.new_widget, width, height, st, at)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 500, in render
return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 306, in wrap_render
rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 336, in render
surf = render(self.child, width, height, st, at)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 500, in render
return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 306, in wrap_render
rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
File "accelerator.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\im.py", line 583, in render
return cache.get(self, render=True)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\im.py", line 266, in get
surf = image.load()
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\im.py", line 628, in load
surf = renpy.display.pgrender.load_image(renpy.loader.load(self.filename), self.filename)
File "Z:\LightofmyLife-0.6.3-pc\renpy\display\pgrender.py", line 162, in load_image
raise Exception("Could not load image {!r}: {!r}".format(filename, e))
Exception: Could not load image 'images/paperdoll/denise and macy/dungeon/flying/macy denise fly_boltpose meyesopen.webp': error('Failed to allocate SDL_Surface',)

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Light of my Life 0.6.3
Mon Dec 20 19:32:19 2021

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
Same story with the full version o__O
So your save might have something bad in it. Delete all instances of LOML and the saves from your computer (don't forget in %AppData%\RenPy\) and start a new playthrough. Sorry to hear.

Edit: Also, something to think about as well - what OS are you using and is it 32-bit or 64-bit? I've tried to find info on the 'Failed to allocate SDL_Surface' error but all I am finding could be a graphics card RAM or 32-bit OS issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: naughtyroad

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
It took a long time until I could start with chapter 6 and was through.
Naughty you outdid yourself again.

But damn it, you are confronting me with a whole new problem.
Now with the end of chapter 6 I am rethinking my previous style of play.
As nice and funny as Brook and the S3 are, after the last scene with Macy, I lost all interest in my work colleagues...

What should I do?
Start over and ignore the work colleagues?
Yeah, a clean love path only with Macy and Denise. :love:

But then I miss out on a fair amount of Naughty’s great writing.:cautious:

Two different approaches?
Once just Macy and Denise and once with everyone?
So i don't miss a thing.

But it feels weird and wrong doing that to Denise and Macy.

Damn Naugthy, you fucked my brain.......

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
Screenshot 2021-12-21 120805.png
Damn it, you're asking me an existential question which is more important than that one "What was there first, the chicken or the egg" and now you're laughing at me too?

Screw you! :p

• Red Heart
Reactions: naughtyroad
4.70 star(s) 488 Votes