tarzan999

Aug 11, 2016
Ah yes the "bears" from the ignore list

If everything has been done before we can wrap this entire thing up and tell the entire world to stop invent stuff cause our ancestors did already. Can you imagine Aristoteles on a skateboard and listening to lady gaga on his ipad back in the day?

And boy oh boy if Einstein never came up with the stuff he did how fucked would this world be atm?

Oh and J.K Rowling who wrote "Harry Potter" bet that would have gone awesome if the publishers told her "Nah it was already done write something else"

Absolutely ridiculous what this dude writes. Ready a trebuchet.... oh wait... that was also already done.....
Is the ipad not a single prop in a larger story? I am sure that during the ancient times authors used books instead of phones and they also used professions like messengers because they didn't have radio, internet etc etc

Also, since you were petty enough to block me why are you even responding?

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Is the ipad not a single prop in a larger story? I am sure that during the ancient times authors used books instead of phones and they also used professions like messengers because they didn't have radio, internet etc etc
(...)
Tarzan, pal, I'm seeing a bit of a pattern here, in that you tend to pick a definition for some term, and then you build your arguments around your particular definition, and then you make like you're prepared to die on that hill defending the arguments based on that definition.

In this particular case, and without wanting to reopen that argument itself, you've defined "something new" for yourself to mean "something entirely unseen before including all parts of it", as evidenced by the remark earlier about "people eating through their ears", and you've build your argument around the fact that pursuing that is both silly and impossible, which is completely true given that particular definition and context.

However, most of the thread, including me, defines something new as assembling bits, that may or may not be new themselves, into something fresh, which as a definition makes much more sense.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So, what we end up with, on multiple occasions, isn't a clash about differing opinions, but about misaligned definitions. And in this case, as the sender, instead of digging in deeper, it's really more sensible to come to an understanding that your definition is not as commonly understood as you assumed it was.
If you amend your statement that "nothing new can be created" into something like "nothing can be created that consists entirely of new parts", you'll see a whole lot of people go "oh, right, eh, well, I guess that's true enough".

Works much better than just reiterating it but a little more testy for people not getting it.

tarzan999

Aug 11, 2016
Tarzan, pal, I'm seeing a bit of a pattern here, in that you tend to pick a definition for some term, and then you build your arguments around your particular definition, and then you make like you're prepared to die on that hill defending the arguments based on that definition.

In this particular case, and without wanting to reopen that argument itself, you've defined "something new" for yourself to mean "something entirely unseen before including all parts of it", as evidenced by the remark earlier about "people eating through their ears", and you've build your argument around the fact that pursuing that is both silly and impossible, which is completely true given that particular definition and context.

However, most of the thread, including me, defines something new as assembling bits, that may or may not be new themselves, into something fresh, which as a definition makes much more sense.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So, what we end up with, on multiple occasions, isn't a clash about differing opinions, but about misaligned definitions. And in this case, as the sender, instead of digging in deeper, it's really more sensible to come to an understanding that your definition is not as commonly understood as you assumed it was.
If you amend your statement that "nothing new can be created" into something like "nothing can be created that consists entirely of new parts", you'll see a whole lot of people go "oh, right, eh, well, I guess that's true enough".

Works much better than just reiterating it but a little more testy for people not getting it.
I did say that we are all saying the same exact thing because it's common sense a few posts ago. Some people just like getting into pointless internet arguments. I kinda enjoy it myself.

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
This 'must be entirely new or it's not worth the effort' assertion is absurd. In partial refutation, I give you John Scalzi's "Old Man's War". Published in 2006, "Old Man's War" tells the story of John Perry and his life as an enhanced soldier in war against several alien races. There's little new in the way of plot devices or technological innovation, using familiar story elements such as nanotechnology and hostile aliens but it's the way that the story is told that makes it a compelling read and a Hugo award nominee.

The quality of the writing that describes John Perry's journey as person is what makes that novel great, and it's also what makes LoML great. LoML characters are written in a rich, immersive manner that takes us along with the central character's process of healing, and redefining the nature of love and family and that story, well-told, will always be born anew at every telling.

So anyone that thinks that Naughty's writing somehow lacks value because he hasn't described a seventh hole to fuck Macy in should take that argument to any first-year literature professor and see how far they get with it.

Madpanda

Jul 14, 2021
Why the replays of scene in the gallery have no dialogues?

I somehow unlocked all the scenes in the beginning since I was rejecting a favourable option again and again.
But those scenes have no dialogues at all, then i started playing as usual and the story and dialogues are so good that without them replays seems dead to me.

So I wanna ask if it does contain dialogues if you unlock those scenes through the story? And maybe unlocking them forcibly will give you no dialogues?

Thank you in advance and love you developer for creating this masterpiece.

Reactions: naughtyroad

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

I somehow unlocked all the scenes in the beginning since I was rejecting a favourable option again and again.
But those scenes have no dialogues at all, then i started playing as usual and the story and dialogues are so good that without them replays seems dead to me.

So I wanna ask if it does contain dialogues if you unlock those scenes through the story? And maybe unlocking them forcibly will give you no dialogues?

You chose the early warning prompt about not wanting to read, just wanting to see the lewd bits. That's how you probably unlocked them all. But that didn't affect the gallery. Dialogues aren't in the gallery.

I recommend saving LOML at intervals you would like to replay in the future. There are a ton of save slots available for this feature. That way you can replay them with the dialogue you wish to see. See below from May 2021:
Thanks for the kind words.

That's question's come up before, but there's technical problems with that, because the gallery lives outside of your current game session, and game dialog at any time is driven by lots of variables that stem from lots of earlier choices, from simple ones to profound ones. Those aren't available outside of the game session.

I'd need to somehow persist those variables outside of a game session, and duplicate scripts to use those persisted versions in the galleries, and keep both versions of the scenes in sync when there's changes or fixes, and while all of that is doable, it's a ton of work. Meanwhile, there's a perfectly good save system already inside ren'py, and I desperately need that time elsewhere, so keeping a save will have to do for the purpose of replaying a moment with dialog.

Madpanda

Jul 14, 2021
You chose the early warning prompt about not wanting to read, just wanting to see the lewd bits. That's how you probably unlocked them all. But that didn't affect the gallery. Dialogues aren't in the gallery.

I recommend saving LOML at intervals you would like to replay in the future. There are a ton of save slots available for this feature. That way you can replay them with the dialogue you wish to see. See below from May 2021:
Thanks a lot for clearing my doubt, lmao i was about to clear my game data you saved me from that.

Have a good day bro

FormerlyknownasOlheden

Donor
May 20, 2020

Also, since you were petty enough to block me why are you even responding?
To be fair, I seem to have blocked you previously too (can't remember why but the discussion certainly has not given me the impietus to lift the block so I guess it was the right decision), but sometimes I get curious about what other people are arguing about and click the hidden messages ... but now my curiosity is satisfied so back into the void you go!

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022

I am pretty sure naughtyroad replied to this - somewhere - but I can't seem to find it right now. Or, maybe I am on drugs and I am thinking about another dev altogether, lol.

But I am "pretty" sure the reason the gallery doesn't have the dialogue you had previously read, because it would be very complicated to code that in. I'm certainly not at that level yet and even if I was, i think it's something that needs to be done right from the beginning, in order to be compatible with all your saves. The reason for this is because your dialogue is driven by a ton of different variables that you pick throughout the game, so having a generic gallery dialogue is pretty much impossible. At least without forcing you to make those same decisions all over again. You know, like the 99 different words for dick that naughty lets you choose from ( OK, maybe only 10?) :p

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Reactions: naughtyroad
4.70 star(s) 488 Votes