Wonko_the_Sane*

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2021
Now we're getting somewhere... :p
I feel like the proverbial fly on the wall reading through this little discussion between you and naughtyroad, and considering his replies to you I'm curious; what do you envision any sort of mod doing for LoML? At no time have you said why you think it needs a "proper mod".

Edit: Let me also mention that I have nothing against mods in general. Without naming names, there are a couple of games found here on F95 that I won't play without your mods installed, so I know the quality of your work!

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I feel like the proverbial fly on the wall reading through this little discussion between you and naughtyroad, and considering his replies to you I'm curious; what do you envision any sort of mod doing for LoML? At no time have you said why you think it needs a "proper mod".
Indeed I did not embellish by design as I've found in the past folks read into it too much too early and derive expectations of public release before a commitment has been officially made. My personal build I've had since v0.3 has all the standard feature sets of SanchoMod so there's literally dozens of enhancements and adjustments for the purposes of enhanced user experience. I hadn't kept my eye on this thread and therefore the circus of what had occurred via other efforts though, so that was news to me. I noticed that UTF8 encoded additions in the latest build scripting (I've been away from the VN for a while as I've been very busy tbh) and came to the thread to see what's what.

Reactions: Wonko_the_Sane*

Wonko_the_Sane*

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2021
Indeed I did not embellish by design as I've found in the past folks read into it too much too early and derive expectations of public release before a commitment has been officially made. My personal build I've had since v0.3 has all the standard feature sets of SanchoMod so there's literally dozens of enhancements and adjustments for the purposes of enhanced user experience. I hadn't kept my eye on this thread and therefore the circus of what had occurred via other efforts though, so that was news to me. I noticed that UTF8 encoded additions in the latest build scripting (I've been away from the VN for a while as I've been very busy tbh) and came to the thread to see what's what.
*returns to fly-on-wall mode*

• Haha
Reactions: rudy007

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
I understood not even 10% of that. God it sucks to be old

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...)I noticed that UTF8 encoded additions in the latest build scripting (I've been away from the VN for a while as I've been very busy tbh) and came to the thread to see what's what.
Yeah. It was the best I could manage on short notice to force a modder to at least touch the story scripts they modded in the past upon a new release, and hopefully persuade them to take the trouble to merge their changes while they were there. And to prevent users from accidently installing a mod that was not properly updated, as I've found users will just try to plug that damned thing in no matter what you say (and still come to my server clamoring for support when it breaks :cry:).

Anything not touching those script files should work just fine I think.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Yeah. It was the best I could manage on short notice to force a modder to at least touch the story scripts they modded in the past upon a new release, and hopefully persuade them to take the trouble to merge their changes while they were there. And to prevent users from accidently installing a mod that was not properly updated, as I've found users will just try to plug that damned thing in no matter what you say (and still come to my server clamoring for support when it breaks :cry:).

Anything not touching those script files should work just fine I think.
Understood. I fight shenanigans in support constantly, daily even. I spend more time fixing other modder fuckups and the periodic sloppy dev bugs than progressing my own core code. Let's not even mention the fiascos with sloppy translators and alt-platform convertors... that's a beast on it's own. I truly hear you... and realize your trust in others dicking around with your work is suspect by default. I don't blame you one bit bud. Same boat, different paddle.

rudy007

Engaged Member
Mar 17, 2021
It's nice to see a pleasant conversation between two adults where both come to a good agreement, even if Naughtyroad did start out by being a bit shouty :D (understandable given what he says about the last mod though).
Naughty was always a pleasant men to speak with. Even with us here. Even if some of us were rude. Or worse. I was surprised of his reaction, I never thought he had such problems with his modder, well, ex-modder... ;)
But I also know about sancho1969 work. And I used myself few of his mods. I usually prefer to play without mods because of usual staff; save/game compatibility. Of you save with mods, you have to load with mode installed... And the other way arround too. And he also had few hot-headed people to deal with over various of his game mods.
Am glad they did fast find common language. I know naughty as one hell of a developer, sancho1969 is a hell of a modder.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Naughty was always a pleasant men to speak with. Even with us here. Even if some of us were rude. Or worse. I was surprised of his reaction, I never thought he had such problems with his modder, well, ex-modder... ;)
But I also know about sancho1969 work. And I used myself few of his mods. I usually prefer to play without mods because of usual staff; save/game compatibility. Of you save with mods, you have to load with mode installed... And the other way arround too. And he also had few hot-headed people to deal with over various of his game mods.
Am glad they did fast find common language. I know naughty as one hell of a developer, sancho1969 is a hell of a modder.
A pleasant group so you'll forgive me for a bit off topic. One thing you mentioned regarding later playing a save that was made while playing modded: I'll be frankly honest - SanchoMod would have always been plug-and-play if not for two tings that simply won't allow it due to the way RenPy is written and how it saves its associated files. Two features are the reason for the "SaveFixer":
  • The mouse hover info (RenPy saves PyGame data so when it's not there it freaks out on loading the "modded" save)
  • The stat screens dynamic code (because I must use static functions in some cases due to the way RenPy treats lists/tuples, if fucks me by saving those static lists so when the core Python code isn't present (when the mod isn't installed) it again freaks out on loading the "modded" save)
If those two things didn't exist in all of the core SM's, then saves would truly be fully transparent and allowed to work either modded or unmodded without care in the world. Just a little tidbit/FYI if you were curious as to why that's a thing. Regards.

Reactions: rudy007

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
A pleasant group so you'll forgive me for a bit off topic. One thing you mentioned regarding later playing a save that was made while playing modded: I'll be frankly honest - SanchoMod would have always been plug-and-play if not for two tings that simply won't allow it due to the way RenPy is written and how it saves its associated files. Two features are the reason for the "SaveFixer":
  • The mouse hover info (RenPy saves PyGame data so when it's not there it freaks out on loading the "modded" save)
  • The stat screens dynamic code (because I must use static functions in some cases due to the way RenPy treats lists/tuples, if fucks me by saving those static lists so when the core Python code isn't present (when the mod isn't installed) it again freaks out on loading the "modded" save)
If those two things didn't exist in all of the core SM's, then saves would truly be fully transparent and allowed to work either modded or unmodded without care in the world. Just a little tidbit/FYI if you were curious as to why that's a thing. Regards.
Honestly, yes - this is off topic - and if you think that LOML needs a WT mod and that you are interested in making one ---- wouldn't this be better discussed in private with NaughtyRoad rather than to air it all out here? Doing what you are doing makes it appear to me that you are attempting to woo players to your side of things and to place pressure on the developer to agree to your view.

I know you make very competent mods and are very passionate about doing so. However, unlike others who have commented, I believe your initial foray into this thread was rather pointed about the necessity of a WT mod (which, honestly, I agree with the developer -- it is not needed) as well as the "PinkCake" comment. It read, to me, as calling out the developer rather than to engage in a quiet discussion. Something NaughtyRoad has always been open to and has always been accessible in private and on his discord.

rudy007

Engaged Member
Mar 17, 2021
Yeah, I get it. I never actually read your desciption. It's crazy, but I played all games you listed, few with your mod, few without any mod. :)

Krynh

Engaged Member
Jan 20, 2020
Honestly, yes - this is off topic - and if you think that LOML needs a WT mod and that you are interested in making one ---- wouldn't this be better discussed in private with NaughtyRoad rather than to air it all out here?
I am a bit confused about why Sancho is discussing mods for LOML.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Honestly, yes - this is off topic - and if you think that LOML needs a WT mod and that you are interested in making one ---- wouldn't this be better discussed in private with NaughtyRoad rather than to air it all out here? Doing what you are doing makes it appear to me that you are attempting to woo players to your side of things and to place pressure on the developer to agree to your view.

I know you make very competent mods and are very passionate about doing so. However, unlike others who have commented, I believe your initial foray into this thread was rather pointed about the necessity of a WT mod (which, honestly, I agree with the developer -- it is not needed) as well as the "PinkCake" comment. It read, to me, as calling out the developer rather than to engage in a quiet discussion. Something NaughtyRoad has always been open to and has always been accessible in private and on his discord.
I understand your stance, but know I already mentioned that I do not frequent this thread... I was unaware of the previous "issue" until Naughty replied. Also, there is no "side" bud, I'm not looking for personal consensus or to sway anyone's opinion about anything. You must have skipped reading the entire convo apparently or are taking me a bit out of intended context. I personally enjoy the VN and it's one of the few I go back to when I have rare spare time (like this morning). But, imho, at face value without knowing all the deets as you all apparently do, that changelog took me by complete surprise... understandably so considering the debauchery in some VN's over time.

I'll leave y'all be. I didn't intend to ruffle feathers. Regards.

Dremel

Sep 24, 2017
And, if I remember correctly, I'm older than you!
That seems to be the case. But since i am old i can't remember anyway. :ROFLMAO:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I took macy, I took her downtown
I climbed that social mountain and I danced around
And I saw her reflection in the joy-covered smiles
'Til her memory brought me home

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the daughter in my heart rise above?
Can I save through the changin' ocean tides?
Can I reload the seasons of my life?

Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around them
But time makes you bolder
Even daughters get older
And I'm getting older too

Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around them
But time makes you bolder
Even daughters get older
And I'm getting older too
Oh! I'm getting bolder too