Slimeee

Oct 8, 2018
I love this game but can someone please help me understand why the update takes so long? I realize that it's a lot of content each time but 90% of the content is the same five already created stills of the girls standing there looking surprised then upset then happy in every conversation. If almost every conversation with the characters is already rendered for the most part and they just reuse the same renders over and over, why does it take so long?
Because the dev can get away with it, he could just do smaller updates but people like the game so much that they are willing to wait literal years for an update, I think its insane but hey I dont pay for it so it will drop when it drops, nothing we can do about it, since the consensus right now is "its worth the wait no matter what". This is not an attack on the dev by the way because Id do the same thing.

InvaderZim

Jun 18, 2019
I love this game but can someone please help me understand why the update takes so long? I realize that it's a lot of content each time but 90% of the content is the same five already created stills of the girls standing there looking surprised then upset then happy in every conversation. If almost every conversation with the characters is already rendered for the most part and they just reuse the same renders over and over, why does it take so long?
Because the dev makes every update so that it has a complete sub-arc. There's the whole arc, which will span the entire game, and then there are shorter ones.

You are familiar with the subject, as most TV-series do this. Each episode has a complete sub-arc. Througout a season bits and pieces from the different episodes tie in to develop the entire story progression.

But, then there's different kinds of TV-series, and thus different demands on how much time you need to tell the piece of the story you need to tell. Simple sitcoms make do with 20 minutes or whatever it is, whereas something like "The Sopranos" or "Band of Brothers" which have a much more developed story, more plotlines, more developed characters, require an hour or so to make someting that holds together as a separate episode.

And Naughty has made it clear that he doesn't want to release an episode that doesn't lead anywhere on its own, nor simplify the story so that it fits in the sitcom slot.

giantboss

Aug 10, 2016
View attachment 2765256
This week in some sentences: One full playthrough for happy path done. Obviously, I fixed a whole bunch of stuff as I went so it was anything but a speed run, but the time it took to play through all content still took me by surprise. (more details in the running blogpost on patreon/subscribestar)
Looks like we are gonna wait another month

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Yeah, you'd think so. But then you learn that there are 12K of images in chapters 1 to 6 (of which 5.7k in chapter 6), and chapter 7, by my last tally in May, adds shy of another 10k, and that sheds a bit of a different light on "it's just the same 5 stills used over and over again". Just for kicks, take a scene like Macy's big one in the last chapter, or the Covens ritual, and start counting the numbers and variations and combinations and backgrounds, and the way it's all scripted together and the pans and the zooms and movements, to see where the timesinks are.

Also, creating the visuals are just part of the work. Story and scripting take more than a fair amount of time too. Time to redo the math, those 4 kilohours of work I spent on chapter 7 'til now weren't all getting high on my own supply. :D

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
gentlemen, we have come here to... (you know:KEK:) not to discuss politics and other things
'Tis true; but the trebuchets are cocked and loaded in preparation for bears seeking to gain entrance to the keep within, no matter their proclivities and provocations. The right to arm against bears shall not be infringed and what good is a trebuchet if not used when necessary? Only a good guy with a trebuchet can stop a marauding bear.

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes