cautiousdaredvl

Feb 13, 2020
Just found this one, pretty excited to try it out for what seems to be a unique art direction at least.

Unfortunately after download of CH7 1.0 from here, the game won't launch. Tried restarting PC, repeated the unpacking from the zip, but when I try to open I get a very brief progress ring on my cursor and then nothing happens. No log file, doesn't show up in task manager, nothing. All my other renpy games work fine. Anybody have any ideas? I have a newish PC, 10600k, 16gb, Windows 11, RTX 3080. I'll have to try downloading again but wanted to get feedback first since my internet sucks where I live.

Cirdon

Nov 27, 2019
I'll have to try downloading again but wanted to get feedback first since my internet sucks where I live.
I'd give that a shot. I downloaded it yesterday, just extracted it from the Zip, ran and while it took a fair amount of time to load the loading screen came up fairly quickly. Game loaded successfully and ran just fine.

Unzipped, size is 7.43 GB (7,982,256,398 bytes)

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Just found this one, pretty excited to try it out for what seems to be a unique art direction at least.

Unfortunately after download of CH7 1.0 from here, the game won't launch. Tried restarting PC, repeated the unpacking from the zip, but when I try to open I get a very brief progress ring on my cursor and then nothing happens. No log file, doesn't show up in task manager, nothing. All my other renpy games work fine. Anybody have any ideas? I have a newish PC, 10600k, 16gb, Windows 11, RTX 3080. I'll have to try downloading again but wanted to get feedback first since my internet sucks where I live.
Check if your virus scanner isn't throwing a wobbler for some reason. When chapter 7 first launched I got a few reports about false positives, and some files that are shipped by renpy getting quarantined causing issues.

cautiousdaredvl

Feb 13, 2020
I'd give that a shot. I downloaded it yesterday, just extracted it from the Zip, ran and while it took a fair amount of time to load the loading screen came up fairly quickly. Game loaded successfully and ran just fine.

Unzipped, size is 7.43 GB (7,982,256,398 bytes)
Tried and chose a different host this time, same effect.

Check if your virus scanner isn't throwing a wobbler for some reason. When chapter 7 first launched I got a few reports about false positives, and some files that are shipped by renpy getting quarantined causing issues.
I did not receive any quarantine notifications or block messages, nothing was logged by Windows Defender, and adding an exception didn't help either.

I could be possibly having issues nobody else is having due to the insider version of windows 11 I'm running, I've just been avoiding a clean install of windows to get out of it.

Reactions: naughtyroad

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
flynn1986 Sooo. You either didn't read the mods message on the OP or chose to ignore it.

For the record, I quite like this one. It's surprisingly easy to feel sort of attached to the characters and want to see where things are going. In most games/VN's, I find myself skipping most of the chit chat, not so in this one. Only way you'll find out for yourself is to give it try.

Ali ibn Hassan

Engaged Member
Dec 19, 2019
Remember the "knowitall" that questioned everything about updates and naughty's ability to write and render?

Same guy in alt-form is performing the same thing elsewhere.
I recognized his writing/argumentative style but when looking through this thread I assume he was banned and his posts scrapped.

Anyone remember him and his aka?
He starts out praising dev and game but later on starts "finding flaws" and spews gall on the defenders because they all are idiots and he's the only one that "knows".
He was around here until just before the first 1-7 update.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Remember the "knowitall" that questioned everything about updates and naughty's ability to write and render?

Same guy in alt-form is performing the same thing elsewhere.
I recognized his writing/argumentative style but when looking through this thread I assume he was banned and his posts scrapped.

Anyone remember him and his aka?
He starts out praising dev and game but later on starts "finding flaws" and spews gall on the defenders because they all are idiots and he's the only one that "knows".
He was around here until just before the first 1-7 update.
This guy? (click my post to see his, I didn't want to quote him directly)

How have you gone from this (In February 2023)

To this?

Either you are trolling, or you don't pay any attention to this games development despite thinking this game is great.

How long do you think it takes to create thousands of renders, thousands of dialogs, and code it together with thousands of code lines?
There was another guy who made a thread about fans of this game and posted in his own profile about this game being awful too. May be the same guy as above, but I can't remember.

Feels like every thread on this site inevitably gets flooded by people like this. It's pretty irritating.

Forgotted

Sep 1, 2020
I've really been enjoying this. I had played it maybe a year or two ago but had forgotten
that it's a fairly enjoyable story.

I just wish the cabin scenes weren't too dark to see. I've been speed clicking to get through
them but it's really a shame to skip all that.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...)
I just wish the cabin scenes weren't too dark to see. I've been speed clicking to get through
them but it's really a shame to skip all that.
Yeah, that blindsided me. I make it a point to keep my monitors calibrated at least somewhat correctly, especially after that chapter, when I procured an external usb calibration device just to make sure it wasn't me. Wat I found is that a lot of people have their displays set up way too dark.

I did look into implementing gamma setup in ren'py, but couldn't manage at the time. Perhaps with the newer shader support it's possible, but back then it got me stumped.

There is however, a calibration option in the preferences (lifted straight out of a linux build I think, someone passed that to me, which is to say, I didn't come up with that myself, it's a standard), and if you make sure to set up your display so you can see distinct individual bars in each row, you should be fine to see the details in those scenes.

I've since taken to adding much more lighting in my nighttime scenes, erring on the side of overexposing to avoid the issue.

Forgotted

Sep 1, 2020
There is however, a calibration option in the preferences
Thank you, I tried that but didn't help me. I should also point out, though,
I'm about halfway color blind as well so can have problems w color variations sometimes.
But that's just me...lol

Also,
I forgot to add.......

I think you have done the most fantastic job with how you've integrated the Mom's
parts into the story. Very nice. You did a great job w not overdoing how many times she
appears in the story even though she's certainly an important character. Also fantastic job w not
necessarily focusing so much on why she's not there but more looking at her Wife/Motherly/Loving role
and concern in keeping the family together....
(sry...kind of awkwardly worded..but I hope you know what I mean..lol [still drinking morning coffee])

Cheers
Have A Good One

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Yeah, that blindsided me. I make it a point to keep my monitors calibrated at least somewhat correctly, especially after that chapter, when I procured an external usb calibration device just to make sure it wasn't me. Wat I found is that a lot of people have their displays set up way too dark.
Thanks for mentioning this.

I checked my settings and they were way down - I think they dropped into a "power saver" setting during one of the numerous power outages I experience this time of year - in an older neighborhood and the power often gets knocked out for a bit during thunderstorms. The eyes just tend to adjust and you don't notice until you get a "low light" render that looks like a "no light" render.

Checked something I saw yesterday that was difficult to see, and it was much better with the adjustment I made to the display.

Reactions: naughtyroad
Sep 4, 2018
After seeing that progress report for Ch. 8, that sloppy seconds has me concerned. Unless it's just meaningless wording stuff for the notes and the Mc won't be getting sloppy seconds of someone else or something. Or perhaps he gives sloppy seconds to some other guy.:unsure:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Yeah, knew about the first one but second post I forgot about if that's who it applies to this time around since it's been a good while now since I played lol.
I'm not saying that "sloppy seconds" applies to any particular character. What I am saying is that what you were concerned about shouldn't be concerned about. The developer has already been quite clear on what to expect in regards to the love interests.
1713998899543.png
Taken in context - it could be the MC going back for more. It could be Denise going in for something after the MC's main course with Macy. It could mean nearly anything - but knowing that the developer isn't going to fuck their fans over should be the first thing people should keep in mind. So you can be sure it's not going to sharing, netorare, or netorase involving another male character.

4.70 star(s) 487 Votes