FireSauner0

Nov 15, 2018
Honestly, Java isn't very hard. Especially as it is in this game. there is a reason why modding it is so simple. the framework is good and flexible enough, for a text game in my o.

A very simple example of variations in text is that the game has multiple words for different bodyparts (I don't know what precisely they are but something along the lines of: boobs, tits, breasts, etc.). whenever they appear on screen, the actual code has variables instead of specific words, and writes them from a list randomly (or in a cycle, i don't remember anymore).

Coding in the actual companion variety texts is as easy as what i wrote above. they teach you that level stuff in high school. the companion's name, race, body parts, and every single piece of usable information about them is stored as are the player's stats either in memory when the game is running, which means they can be checked for with a simple variable.

Writing the actual text for it probably takes more time than coding it in, because there was far more text in them, than just writing variations for the word ,,penis".
Other reason could be that not many players tried them out or fonud them in the first place. I for one remember 2 instances in the entire game where having a companion made a difference in 2 scenes, and it didn't matter who/what the companion was. either you have one with you or not. I'm not sure what other ,,companion content" there is. (would love to get a reply about that if anyone knows)

EDIT: turns out Inno meant literally every interaction the involves multiple characters on the player's side (that aren't pre written character part of a quest). I initially thought she meant stuff like the slaver alley encounter where having a companion and new parts and dialogue to the scene. or some parts of the imp fortress quests.

Last edited:
Reactions: RavenDG34
Jan 8, 2018
From the blogspot page:
Companion Support

I also need to mention the fact that I'm planning on dropping support for companions in this next version. This wasn't an easy decision to make, especially considering how much time has been put into them, but the amount of complexity that they've been adding to new content has been a large part of the reason why so many releases have been delayed. Not only was it taking a considerable amount of time for me to both write and make the framework variations for companions, but doing so was very repetitive work and was draining my enthusiasm for adding new scenes.

As an example of how companion support was slowing me down, I'll give a quick example of how I need to take into account attractions & available sex areas when starting a sex scene with a random NPC:
Without companions:
- Check NPC attraction to player.
- Check if the NPC's desired sex type with the player is available.
With companions:
- Check NPC attraction to player.
- Check NPC attraction to companion.
- Check companion attraction to player.
- Check companion attraction to NPC.
- Check if the NPC's desired sex type with the player is available.
- Check if the NPC's desired sex type with the companion is available.
- Check if the companion's desired sex type with the player is available.
- Check if the companion's desired sex type with the NPC is available.

The situation gets even worse when there are two or more random NPCs, as I then need to check all of the possible variations between the player's companion and these extra NPCs. Having to factor in all of these variations is what's been causing a lot of the delays in getting new content added (especially in the Rat Warrens), and so that's why I'm going to have to drop support for them.

Reactions: FireSauner0

IvoryOwl

Mar 29, 2017
Look at all the armchair "developers" popping up in this thread! One would think Inno knows more about her own game and how much effort it takes to build than most of us but apparently some people just like to brag about how "knowledgeable" they are and how "lazy" Inno is for ditching a feature that is "sooooo easy" to implement (either that or they're just mad a feature they liked bit the dust and have to insult the dev for her choice. I reckon its the latter. Bias does that.)

I'm not saying Inno is all-knowing... but in most cases, I'm more likely to take her word for it than a bunch of random Joes on the internet who probably don't even have a single game under their belt.

If you're so good then here's your chance to prove it - every time Inno releases a new version, go to GitHub, take a look at the code and either expand upon the support system or write new content yourself. Go on. Put your money where your mouth is. Since the game is open-sourced and Java is "isn't so hard", the only thing stopping you is yourself.

Last edited:

Carl0sDanger

May 22, 2020
I like this game, have liked it for years and not sure why people expect content to be shoe horned in just cus people are kind and giving money to them
Inno did make the mistake of allowing her Patrons to vote on adding content to the game.

But yeah, support for a creative project is supposed to be, "That sounds like a cool idea, here's five bucks a month to help you work on that idea full-time."

Not, "I pay five bucks a month, therefore I get to tell the creator what ideas they should be having."

teddidiah

Mar 24, 2019
Weirdly CoC2, a game with actual writing in it, breezes through the fact you can have a variety of party members all with distinct personalities and a number ranging from just yourself to two others (plus a guest, where applicable) with aplomb.

Weird.

The easy answer, in this case, would be to make the barely-there party members that follow you around just... not proc these things unless the player calls them in. They do something else in the background, whatev. And, of course, to establish a framework that you call upon universally instead of... having to do it one by one?

whatev, inno

PoyntFury

The Man With The Need To Breed
Donor
Dec 14, 2017
Weirdly CoC2, a game with actual writing in it, breezes through the fact you can have a variety of party members all with distinct personalities and a number ranging from just yourself to two others (plus a guest, where applicable) with aplomb.

Weird.

The easy answer, in this case, would be to make the barely-there party members that follow you around just... not proc these things unless the player calls them in. They do something else in the background, whatev. And, of course, to establish a framework that you call upon universally instead of... having to do it one by one?

whatev, inno
Yeah, it's almost like those companions in CoC2 are very rigidly defined in terms of gender, body type, and genitalia. Fucking weird. It's also like those companions and events have a litany of people working on them and coding them into the game. That definitely doesn't have anything to do with it.

D

Deleted member 2166807

But yeah, support for a creative project is supposed to be, "That sounds like a cool idea, here's five bucks a month to help you work on that idea full-time."
I think you're right here. And the issue is that everyone that's been around enough projects can see what a full-time dev looks like and what a dev putting in 30% of full-time looks like. They then get agitated because they feel like they helped a dev achieve "full time" and the output is not actually full time output.

Khaitoh

Feb 28, 2018
1/50, but yes, for now. There'll probably be some easy/reliable way to access them for the next full release though.
With the new game I played, It was more likely for me to get fucked by them than muggers or prostitutes for some reason...

Enforcers are Virgin Hunters? xD (Maybe I should just let them finger me in the ass instead of re-loading everytime, nah, just gonna cheat some money to slap in their face)

SordidDreams

Jul 27, 2019
Inno did make the mistake of allowing her Patrons to vote on adding content to the game.
Yeah, and AFAIK the recent side content additions are a result of that. So these complaints that "she's not delivering what people have ordered" are completely baseless; that's in fact exactly what she is doing.

UndeadEve

Aug 22, 2017
Yeah, and AFAIK the recent side content additions are a result of that. So these complaints that "she's not delivering what people have ordered" are completely baseless; that's in fact exactly what she is doing.
People tend to believe that their opinion is right and that what they want is what everyone wants.

caju

Oct 5, 2017
Why would people want more story when they could easily have an update that lets you control the design of the hairs around the anus?
Plus, as an added bonus, 4 more colors for every outfit in the shop.
Also, why stop with demons, pegataurs, and alligators girls when you could have a slimasourus rex.
Dino-slaves are all the latest rage!

Khaitoh

Feb 28, 2018
I've honestly never seen a more divided community than the one for this game. I do not know what causes it but it's the craziest shit. On the one hand you have the "inno does not wrong" crowd, then the hater, then the people who are divided between RPG and Sandbox, I've found myself on both sides of that argument for sure. I cannot bring myself to care anymore, I just want to fucking jizz into an old sock and there's way more important real life shit to argue about.
Hmmmmmm... an old sock... why didn't I thought of that.

caju

Oct 5, 2017
I've honestly never seen a more divided community than the one for this game. I do not know what causes it but it's the craziest shit. On the one hand you have the "inno does not wrong" crowd, then the hater, then the people who are divided between RPG and Sandbox, I've found myself on both sides of that argument for sure. I cannot bring myself to care anymore, I just want to fucking jizz into an old sock and there's way more important real life shit to argue about.
I think it is because many of us see the potential of what the game could be.
But every clothing and orifice update makes it one version closer to it's inevitable "abandoned" tag.
I would really like to see more areas to explore and many, many more quests and eventually an end at some point.

Sewyoba

Jul 22, 2018
Why would people want more story when they could easily have an update that lets you control the design of the hairs around the anus?
Plus, as an added bonus, 4 more colors for every outfit in the shop.
Also, why stop with demons, pegataurs, and alligators girls when you could have a slimasourus rex.
Dino-slaves are all the latest rage!
Who cares about the story? Gib mansion, slave management and the ability to hunt for new slaves. Oh, and slave jobs that aren't prostitution or being a maid for your landlady, what kind of economy is that where slavery is limited to house servants?

caju

Oct 5, 2017
how do you recruit companions i can't seem to figure it out thank you for the help
Yeah, you cant do that anymore (see changelog in the op)

Gameplay:
Companion content is now locked behind a toggle in gameplay options, and is disabled by default.
No further support for companions will be added going forwards, as accounting for companion variations, both in the writing and dialogue framework, was taking a huge amount of time and slowing down the pace of the game's development too much.

stuffinabox

Aug 15, 2018
Bug fixes and minor content tweaks, neat. Time to wait a year for new content.

While we're at it, overhaul the combat system to be good? Or at least practical.

4.10 star(s) 119 Votes