Unity LOK: Rebirth [v0.1.8.0 Test] [The Tribe Devs]

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes

Arcadelord

Jun 13, 2018
I've played so many "Legends of Krystal" video-games, wanna-be and rip-offs that I sometimes look back at the only one that managed to be completed. Sadly the death of Adobe Flash took it along to the graveyard and not even Ruffle could help me.

Now I've played both video-games released by The Tribe Devs and I'm left wondering... why the honk have they ceased development on the previous 2D title? That one had beautiful drawings and animations, plus a story that felt fleshed out and going somewhere.

Now we're literally back to square one without any explaination or excuse, considering that the camp's layout remains the same, the characters from the previous video-game are back (some of them have slightly changed in personality), and although the drawings seem to have gained in overall quality the "gameplay" sank below an acceptable threshold from my point of view.

I absolutely hate the controls of the main protagonist, it's beyond clumsy, unresponsive and stiff. And the bugs are legion : I've managed to soft-lock myself out of progress just by forgetting to interact with a NPC before interacting with the bed. The bushes don't respawn but their interaction prompt floats in the air. The main character got stuck in the stairs while climbing them (which is the most awkward thing to achieve in that video-game, climbing stairs) and remained stuck until I reloaded.

I also saw the mention of "enemies" and "leveling up" which means there should be combats yet I've found none. Moreover there are no sense of build-up nor consequences : we can put Krystal entirely nude and she won't rejet due to shame. The NPCs we encounter also don't react to her nudity, which is infuriating because that could be a gameplay mechanic.

I also discovered there's been drama within the team during the development of the previous LOK Rebirth. I've no idea if that caused the previous work-in-progress to die prematurely, but Cheesus Crust on the Holy Pogo Stick does that rustle my jimmies when something is abandoned in such fashion... only to be necro'd back to life afterward!

That reminds Projekt Wolfensthal and their Deathblight franchise plus a few video-games that remain abandoned to this very day. There's that one video-game titled "Once Ever After" previously cancelled that suddenly came back to life shortly after the cancellation of "Deathblight Operation Thunderfang" and found its way to Steam. Necromanging what they left behind, gave it a quick polish then sold it.

Also holy honk 27 euros to gain instant access to such garbage? What were they thinking? That's not an entry fee to test the broken demo of a re-baked concept, that's a Club voucher for a group of disillusioned wankers and circlejerks! I'm glad this community keeps on uploading these products here so we can dodge all the bullets and avoid the pitfalls as consumers.

Staning

Oct 14, 2021
I just don't get it, man. It's been years and there's plenty of people on this dev team. How do they keep fucking up like this?
It's been slow but this isn't fucking up. Progress is still movin, the new animators have been promising, and the next build is on its way.

However, we need to find a better groove. Getting two builds over an 8 month span isn't good enough.

It's not a mystery. The planning was not matching the workflow.

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
I don't know how much they pay you... (if they pay you to promote them), because I doubt very much that at this point you believe such many excuses and excuses and excuses.

They have been four years to start a game and continue to offer pure crap that, apparently, even they don't want to do.

Last edited:

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
It's been slow but this isn't fucking up. Progress is still movin, the new animators have been promising, and the next build is on its way.

However, we need to find a better groove. Getting two builds over an 8 month span isn't good enough.

Please, impress us with a demonstration of your evidently vast knowledge of game development and project management.
By the comments you've been making, it should be trivial for thou to provide thee with exquisite material

Theovonpapen

Sep 2, 2020

This is what happens when you have animators and painters who jump in the video game market with absolutely no understanding of how to develop games properly and punctually.

A good example of this is this , where despite working on the most illustrious gaming company in the world, individual project groups still can't finish their game or even just scrap the project altogether bc they don't set a standard to themselves.

Jinsoyun

Sep 28, 2018
I've played so many "Legends of Krystal" video-games, wanna-be and rip-offs that I sometimes look back at the only one that managed to be completed. Sadly the death of Adobe Flash took it along to the graveyard and not even Ruffle could help me.
Shockwave player can still run the downloaded swf files. That option still exists.
I haven't searched for either of those online for a while now, so i don't know any current sources, but if google doesn't help you, then tell me and i'll see what i can do.

Theovonpapen

Sep 2, 2020
Shockwave player can still run the downloaded swf files. That option still exists.
I haven't searched for either of those online for a while now, so i don't know any current sources, but if google doesn't help you, then tell me and i'll see what i can do.
I think you may need to download a dedicated flash player, like Flash game Archive or Flashpoint. Or if you really want to go OG, you can try playing flash online through Internet Explorer or the mobile Puffin browser.

Theovonpapen

Sep 2, 2020
With loot boxes aka surprise mechanics.
With the initial price is $79.99, it also comes with a 40$ seasons pass with an arbitrary amount of "updates".

What? You wanted a single-player campaign? Well, nobody wants it, and by nobody, it's the executive stockholders. Here some [insert patch that should've been in a complete game] that took us months to complete. Life Servic 4 Life.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

Sharun

Jun 29, 2017
I just came around for my half year checkup. Animation looks nice. Any realistic (not sarcastic or dreamish) estimations when its sees the game?

Otherwise (for those that remember) im sad to see nothing has changed in every aspect - developement or forum wise ^^ Still same old same old, slow progress and the regulary "Told you so", and while i have to admit that the made progress looks good in quality, its still ridiculous on the quantity aspect. The only fun part in here is the imagination a KI could do it faster, because that likely seems to be a possibility.

But just a fair reminder, Staning was to my knowledge just stupid enough to serve as a link between the devs progress and this place, because as chopo put it eloquently, devs ran fast or engaged in blissful ignorance/harassement depending on your conversation and view point. He believes in highlighting the good (rare) points, while still seeing the critizism on time as legit - not that he can do shit about it.

Thanks in advance for an answer to my question, otherwise till someday again when i need some hopes crushed

Reactions: SezRaipiffar

SezRaipiffar

Sep 14, 2022
its still ridiculous on the quantity aspect.
YESSS

look at "legend of krystal VG" or whatever it was called
-its basically the same game, but less pretty

(and its actually finished, and its actually fleshed out somewhat)

and its made in the somewhat clumsy good old flash
-not the comfy unity engine

if they wanted to make the game
they would have.

we are basicalyl financing their "hobby" (since im not sure if it can be called a scam)
and just like with all hobbies, its a side thing without much weight or urgency behind it.

Reactions: Theovonpapen

BruceMcGivern

Apr 19, 2020
Oh wow call it karma, divine justice or just someone being really silly on this day and age lmfao!

Now let's see if they pull out the BS of delaying even furthermore development xD, But lets be real if they can't even be smart on clicking stuff from randoms via DM's or even Public text channels then it's pretty obvious LoK-Rebirth its never going to reach any reasonable % of being done at.

Oh well thanks for sharing to have a couple of giggles at ;D

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes