Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
All right, everyone! I'm afraid I have some bad news to share.

I have been contacted by the Patreon Trust & Safety team and told that my account there is at risk of being suspended unless I remove the offending content from my page, though they don't go into specifics. Most of us probably knew that this day would eventually come.
I understand if this news makes some of you angry and upset, but anger won't solve anything at this point. Let's be constructive and get over this speed bump together, and consider ourselves lucky I managed to slip through the cracks for this long.
I have 28 subscribers on SubscribeStar and 1025 patrons on Patreon. I can't just "quit Patreon" if nobody uses the alternative site.
I'm thankful they let you know before the end of the month. I will be moving my patronage to SubscribeStar at the first of the month, so that will be at the very least 29 and 1024.

So some Karen decided to report the game.

Fucking Karen.
That's usually how it happens. Perhaps lasting so long could be seen a credit to Belle's fans. So many fans and no snitching until now...

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I have been contacted by the Patreon Trust & Safety team and told that my account there is at risk of being suspended unless I remove the offending content
Bummer! Given how well organised your code is hopefully it won't be too onerous to rework it to meet Patreon's requirements.

Sancrest

Jul 5, 2018
I have been contacted by the Patreon Trust & Safety team and told that my account there is at risk of being suspended unless I remove the offending content from my page, though they don't go into specifics.
Patreon/Youtube/or Any Other Corp: Please remove offending content.
You: Sure, please specify what is offending so I can remove ASAP
Patreon/Youtube/or Any Other Corp: We can not disclose such sensitive information to you.

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Patreon/Youtube/or Any Other Corp: Please remove offending content.
You: Sure, please specify what is offending so I can remove ASAP
Patreon/Youtube/or Any Other Corp: We can not disclose such sensitive information to you.
Thing is, there is only one type of content in the game that Patreon is referring to, and its pretty much a big part of the game.

RoleDover

Dec 8, 2018
Belle This has probably been implied that you won't do it, but are you going to make a Patreon version, with the changed content? And a subscribe star version that has the original content? Surely they have no say or business in what you do outside of their platform, even if it is linked to you. If not then an patch shouldn't be too difficult to make.

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
This has probably been implied that you won't do it, but are you going to make a Patreon version, with the changed content? And a subscribe star version that has the original content? Surely they have no say or business in what you do outside of their platform, even if it is linked to you. If not then an patch shouldn't be too difficult to make.
Thats very bad advice to give.

I've seen other developers go the patch route, or even allowed a third party to do a patch. And Patreon have shut them down hard.

Folks, Belle has a good head on their shoulders, they already have something planned for this kind of situation, lets not throw out advice unless its asked for.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Belle This has probably been implied that you won't do it, but are you going to make a Patreon version, with the changed content? And a subscribe star version that has the original content? Surely they have no say or business in what you do outside of their platform, even if it is linked to you. If not then an patch shouldn't be too difficult to make.
I am complying with Patreon's demands on their platform to the letter. That's all I can say. Remember, Patreon might be monitoring this thread.

Reactions: Spfjolietjake

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
It's quite worrying nowadays when business can shut down other business on a whim, and because it's their platform there's really nothing you can do.

YouTube and Patreon both seem to suffer from a twitchy Ban finger.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
It's quite worrying nowadays when business can shut down other business on a whim, and because it's their platform there's really nothing you can do.

YouTube and Patreon both seem to suffer from a twitchy Ban finger.
They have neither shut me down nor banned me. They haven't even suspended me. They sent me an email so that I could put things in order before it would have to come to any of that.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Page 666 is an appropriate place to discuss actions from Patreon.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I have received confirmation from Patreon now. The official download links on Patreon are going down within the next 24 hours or so to comply with their requirements, and then I will start assembling a modified version of the game for reupload.

Reactions: TheSidewinder

KrystofDayne

Donor
Dec 9, 2019
Man, just read about this whole thing now, that's a bummer.

I hope you get back on track with the modified game soon, this roadblock in your development has to be more than a little annoying.

Is it only the Evelyn storyline that's a problem? Will Aldred's and the rest of the MC's family history be modified as well or are you just thinking of a different way of developing Evelyn?

And is that the only objectionable content that Patreon has flagged? Or do you have to modify some other parts of the game as well?

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Man, just read about this whole thing now, that's a bummer.

I hope you get back on track with the modified game soon, this roadblock in your development has to be more than a little annoying.

Is it only the Evelyn storyline that's a problem? Will Aldred's and the rest of the MC's family history be modified as well or are you just thinking of a different way of developing Evelyn?

And is that the only objectionable content that Patreon has flagged? Or do you have to modify some other parts of the game as well?
I would say Evelyn's content is what's being objected to, based on what they told me. Please don't try to pick through the game to list things that may or may not comply with their rules. Assume that they read this thread and might make assumptions (correct or incorrect) about the game that could lead to more trouble if people start doing that.

Obviously, any incest content in Evelyn's storyline will be changed. The new version should hopefully not feel any less interesting to new players, though obviously, existing players will have a hard time adjusting to a version of Evelyn who doesn't have the same background as before.

KrystofDayne

Donor
Dec 9, 2019
Please don't try to pick through the game to list things that may or may not comply with their rules. Assume that they read this thread and might make assumptions (correct or incorrect) about the game that could lead to more trouble if people start doing that.
Gotcha, was already trying to be very careful and diplomatic ;)

Oh and just for shits and giggles, I'm gonna change my Patreon pledge to Subscribestar. Take that :p

Last edited:

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Thats all well and good to say now, but take a look at the numbers. Belle has built up about 1000 followers on Patreon, that's taken about 3 years to build up, especially considering that right now there are 28 followers on Subscribestar. Its going to take time to rebuild those numbers.

Besides which, Patreon isn't the problem, its the companies that handle the money for Patreon, who also handle the money for other sites like Patreon. So while Patreon might be cracking down now, it could easily be another site starts cracking down because of pressure from up above.

Reactions: vmaks

iainmore

Jun 12, 2017
Thats all well and good to say now, but take a look at the numbers. Belle has built up about 1000 followers on Patreon, that's taken about 3 years to build up, especially considering that right now there are 28 followers on Subscribestar. Its going to take time to rebuild those numbers.

Besides which, Patreon isn't the problem, its the companies that handle the money for Patreon, who also handle the money for other sites like Patreon. So while Patreon might be cracking down now, it could easily be another site starts cracking down because of pressure from up above.
Then Patreon gets away with fucking people over becuse of some anonymous censor. Why doesn't Patreon grow a pair then and tell these self appointed fuck wits to fuck off?????

P.S It is not just the creators that are getting shafted by self appointed censors it is the Investors in the games as well. So I will say it again - Fuck Patreon.

4.60 star(s) 378 Votes