Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Hey, you're such a teaser !
I aim to tease.

I won't be too much of a tease with how I pace my game though. I feel like this is a good thing to get on the record. Games like Dating My Daughter and Dreams of Desire are notorious teasers, sometimes for no good reason. The latter, in particular, falls into the trap of going "mwahaha, I can make her do anything I want! Better not fuck her." It becomes increasingly obvious that the main character is holding back for no other reason than to prolong the story for Patreon purposes (the narration certainly doesn't offer any alternate explanations). I don't subscribe to that school of game design, so payoff in Long Live the Princess will come whenever it is natural for the story, which will be early for some girls and later for others.

jande21

I AM THE LAW
Respected User
Former Staff
Oct 19, 2016
I aim to tease.

I won't be too much of a tease with how I pace my game though. I feel like this is a good thing to get on the record. Games like Dating My Daughter and Dreams of Desire are notorious teasers, sometimes for no good reason. The latter, in particular, falls into the trap of going "mwahaha, I can make her do anything I want! Better not fuck her." It becomes increasingly obvious that the main character is holding back for no other reason than to prolong the story for Patreon purposes (the narration certainly doesn't offer any alternate explanations). I don't subscribe to that school of game design, so payoff in Long Live the Princess will come whenever it is natural for the story, which will be early for some girls and later for others.
I like the sound of that, but sadly it's something many devs say at the beginning. And for Dreams of Desire, the spell isn't a complete mind control (such as the Gift), it's more of a corruption tool using the spell to put them under something similar to hypnosis. I think, for that game at least, there has been a gradual increase in sexual acts.

I do want to thank you for being so open with a pirate community. I did enjoy the first version, and it gives me confidence that you put so much care in your writing. Something a lot of devs put second. Hows the second episode coming along?

Reactions: ClumZyFinGerX

Thornhill

Sep 18, 2017
I aim to tease.

You DO realise you've just teased me some more , don't you ? You wicked pixie, you ...seriously now, those are my thoughts exactly about gameplay, and why i gave up on both those games, Babysitter next to follow. It's 0.6 , and already they've used the old "oh, it was just a dream" , TWICE. I don't mind having to work for it, wait for it, long for it, that's all good, but when you get the sense "this is going nowhere "...

Reactions: Belle

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
I have to agree with @jande21, it's not often we see devs get this involved with a pirating community.

I know some chat to us a little bit and i'm on good terms with a couple of them but I don't see many chat like this one does.

It is nice to see.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I like the sound of that, but sadly it's something many devs say at the beginning.
There's no reason for me to change my tune about this, even if I should get greedy for some reason. Long Live the Princess will have more girls than the ones you know about right now, so I don't have to be afraid of reaching the "goals" with these girls since I can just keep it going with others. Frankly, I'd rather move on to the next game rather than prolong this one endlessly, though I have so many ideas for content that this is still quite far away. I have enough experience with previous, successful game projects I've been involved in to know that I'm not a one-trick pony.

I do want to thank you for being so open with a pirate community. I did enjoy the first version, and it gives me confidence that you put so much care in your writing. Something a lot of devs put second. Hows the second episode coming along?
I've said it before and I will keep saying it: Long Live the Princess is free, and I mean it. I do want to offer my patrons early access to the latest versions, but I'm not fool enough to think that the pirate communities won't get their hands on my updates almost instantly. I'm also not stupid enough to think I can somehow fight that. I'd rather play along and interact with the people playing my game, no matter how they got their hands on it. With luck, some of the "pirates" will even become patrons of mine. The most important thing for me is that the conversation is respectful in both directions.

Version 0.15 is coming along nicely and should be out at some point next week for patrons (but see above). It will introduce the basic interactions with one of the girls featured in the game's tutorial. With the release of 0.15, there will be more content for this girl than Evelyn currently has, and I'm turning up the naughtiness significantly.

Buffalo Fred

Aug 5, 2016
There's no reason for me to change my tune about this, even if I should get greedy for some reason. Long Live the Princess will have more girls than the ones you know about right now, so I don't have to be afraid of reaching the "goals" with these girls since I can just keep it going with others. Frankly, I'd rather move on to the next game rather than prolong this one endlessly, though I have so many ideas for content that this is still quite far away. I have enough experience with previous, successful game projects I've been involved in to know that I'm not a one-trick pony.

I've said it before and I will keep saying it: Long Live the Princess is free, and I mean it. I do want to offer my patrons early access to the latest versions, but I'm not fool enough to think that the pirate communities won't get their hands on my updates almost instantly. I'm also not stupid enough to think I can somehow fight that. I'd rather play along and interact with the people playing my game, no matter how they got their hands on it. With luck, some of the "pirates" will even become patrons of mine. The most important thing for me is that the conversation is respectful in both directions.

Version 0.15 is coming along nicely and should be out at some point next week for patrons (but see above). It will introduce the basic interactions with one of the girls featured in the game's tutorial. With the release of 0.15, there will be more content for this girl than Evelyn currently has, and I'm turning up the naughtiness significantly.
You. I like, you! :)

Reactions: Belle and jande21

figgis

Dec 9, 2016
I was very doubtful when I read on the patreon that the game was supposed to have elements of Persona and Ace Attorney, but I can see where it's heading after the initial demo. Very excited to see where you take the game, there's a lot of potential here.

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
persona like social links that powers up your personas (in this case, your magic)?

it would be interesting, after all if you only got sex through mind control (phoenix wright bit) it would be very frustrating

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
persona like social links that powers up your personas (in this case, your magic)?

it would be interesting, after all if you only got sex through mind control (phoenix wright bit) it would be very frustrating
I've been thinking about this a lot but I'm not sure how much I can do with it. After all, there is no combat in this game, so the number of things I can achieve with such abilities is limited. "Completing" a girl's Invade Mind segments will have important effects on the end-game, but I honestly don't know if there's much else I can do with it that won't needlessly complicate things.

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
Well, I don't think you need combat to implement it, if I were to implement it in the game I would do more or less the same as you did with invade mind, the more you discover a secret through social interaction with them (like social links), the more powerful the spell becomes, of course I don't know if you have other spells planned for the game, and you can only have so many secrets for each character, since you already need to discover their secrets to power up invade mind using the magatama like minigame

maybe a better way would be to don't use secrets per se, but as in persona, every time you get an unique interaction with a character your bound becomes stronger, and this character becomes more open towards you

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Well, I don't think you need combat to implement it, if I were to implement it in the game I would do more or less the same as you did with invade mind, the more you discover a secret through social interaction with them (like social links), the more powerful the spell becomes, of course I don't know if you have other spells planned for the game, and you can only have so many secrets for each character, since you already need to discover their secrets to power up invade mind using the magatama like minigame

maybe a better way would be to don't use secrets per se, but as in persona, every time you get an unique interaction with a character your bound becomes stronger, and this character becomes more open towards you
I think you're describing something I'm already planning to do so I might be overthinking your suggestion. Changes to the characters won't be automatic, but increasing your control will allow you to change their behavior outside of the spell in specific ways depending on the girl herself. I don't want to get into too much detail about this as that could be considered spoilers, but you'll see a minor version of this concept in version 0.15. The girl you can cast Invade Mind on there will have a social limitation outside of the spell that you can lift permanently by casting it. All the girls should have variations of this.

Successfully casting Invade Mind is also necessary to improve your skill with it. The Crone describes this in vague terms when you meet her. Your stated goal is to become fully proficient in that spell, and that requires practice; hence you going around and molesting all the girls in town.

U

User_10739

Quite a few of us "pirates" are top tier patrons of the games we like because we found a .01 that had potential. I personally am a patron of 5 games currently but have been higher. I dropped 3 games this month due to dev inactivity as August updates still have not come out by October and even their Patreon accounts seem ignored. I am also seeing devs debuting their game simultaneously on this pirate forum and Patreon just to get noticed by a larger audience. I guess you could almost say it's better to work with us than against us as you will most likely get more promotion for your game here than at Patreon which has a sea of devs looking to cash in their imaginary lottery tickets based on a 20 second demo...
And while you may think that we are coordinated enough that only one of us patrons a game and shares it, it is not the case, you may find that in some of the cases there are multiple top tier patrons and many mid to bottom tier. They just don't want to wait the extra "week" to get the latest update but like your game enough to donate what they can afford.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
With luck, some of the "pirates" will even become patrons of mine.
Happens a lot.

I throw a bit of money around to a few games every now and then but it takes me a while before I consider it.

Too many abandoned games for me to jump straight in any more. I wait a few updates and see how things are going.

Reactions: Belle

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I was quite amazed at the speed at which sites like this discovered and distributed my game after its release. It took only a few hours, and I released it to very little fanfare. It's quite fascinating to watch this kind of thing happen. One site counted page views (calling them downloads), and that counter crossed the 1000 mark very quickly. One has to wonder how many of those people even bother to visit the Patreon campaign if only to check that they've got the latest version.

One of the reasons I'm active here is because I genuinely love to talk about both my game and my game design philosophies. Even if it doesn't translate into money, it's still incredibly rewarding to see people play something I've created and (hopefully) like it, and even the negative feedback (of which I had honestly expected more) tends to be very useful. Maybe especially the negative feedback, as long as it's constructive. I'm delighted with the overall tone of the conversation that has been in this thread, and that encourages me to participate more. Most places that distribute Patreon games do it to earn a quick buck through their chosen download service, but this site has an actual community, and that gives it value. So yeah, I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you all, no matter what motivations you have for visiting this thread, no matter if you post or not. If you took the time to play my game, you have my gratitude.

jande21

I AM THE LAW
Respected User
Former Staff
Oct 19, 2016
I was quite amazed at the speed at which sites like this discovered and distributed my game after its release. It took only a few hours, and I released it to very little fanfare. It's quite fascinating to watch this kind of thing happen. One site counted page views (calling them downloads), and that counter crossed the 1000 mark very quickly. One has to wonder how many of those people even bother to visit the Patreon campaign if only to check that they've got the latest version.

One of the reasons I'm active here is because I genuinely love to talk about both my game and my game design philosophies. Even if it doesn't translate into money, it's still incredibly rewarding to see people play something I've created and (hopefully) like it, and even the negative feedback (of which I had honestly expected more) tends to be very useful. Maybe especially the negative feedback, as long as it's constructive. I'm delighted with the overall tone of the conversation that has been in this thread, and that encourages me to participate more. Most places that distribute Patreon games do it to earn a quick buck through their chosen download service, but this site has an actual community, and that gives it value. So yeah, I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you all, no matter what motivations you have for visiting this thread, no matter if you post or not. If you took the time to play my game, you have my gratitude.
I'm the one that posted this (wonderful) game of yours, from 8chan iirc. But I posted it here for the reasons you mentioned; a excellent community that actually offers discussions. While I understand that people like 4chan and 8chan, I personally can't handle holding a conversation over there because of the overwhelming toxicity. I think what makes this place special, is the ability to have civilized conversations without it devolving into insults.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I'm the one that posted this (wonderful) game of yours, from 8chan iirc. But I posted it here for the reasons you mentioned; a excellent community that actually offers discussions. While I understand that people like 4chan and 8chan, I personally can't handle holding a conversation over there because of the overwhelming toxicity. I think what makes this place special, is the ability to have civilized conversations without it devolving into insults.
Haha, it makes perfect sense now. :)

I can handle the toxicity of places like 4chan and 8chan, but it gets rather annoying to have to deal with total anonymity and its darker sides over time.

Maragdus

Jul 1, 2017
I think the ,,toxicity of places like 4chan and 8chan'' are their best aspects they help you build thicker skin and the anonymity allows for more free and honest discutons as long as you have a good BS filter.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I think the ,,toxicity of places like 4chan and 8chan'' are their best aspects they help you build thicker skin and the anonymity allows for more free and honest discutons as long as you have a good BS filter.
Theoretically, yes. However, my impression is that those places may have started out that way, but that there's now an unspoken "competition" to be as much of a condescending asshole as possible (or variations thereof), so I don't think people's behavior there reflect their true personalities in a lot of cases. I haven't felt like any of the chans have been honest for years.

4.60 star(s) 376 Votes