SuddenReal

Jun 21, 2017
Yes, version of the game have nothing to the % completion of the game. That's kinda obvious, isn't it?

But, let's assume it have. Let's assume version 0.18 means the game is completed in 18%. You know what that means? That means we played only small part of the game and we still have 82% of it to explore, to meet many new characters, to find thier secrets, to please them, to read amazing story...
Yes, but let's assume it's not (which isn't hard because it's not a percentage). That would mean it is possible we have played more than a small part of the game and there is less than 82% to explore and so on. I'm not saying I know what Belle's planned release is, but I doubt we'll be seeing up to version 0.99 until we see full release. So why confuse the matter more? Don't set unrealistic expectations because you just know there will be some idiot who'll complain that a game is completed after version 0.25 even though there still should have been 75% more content because "someone" once said that you could assume version numbers meant percentage.

Reactions: Blayo

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Yes, but let's assume it's not (which isn't hard because it's not a percentage). That would mean it is possible we have played more than a small part of the game and there is less than 82% to explore and so on. I'm not saying I know what Belle's planned release is, but I doubt we'll be seeing up to version 0.99 until we see full release. So why confuse the matter more? Don't set unrealistic expectations because you just know there will be some idiot who'll complain that a game is completed after version 0.25 even though there still should have been 75% more content because "someone" once said that you could assume version numbers meant percentage.
I don't bother catering to people who cannot accept simple rules and expectations. This is a lesson I picked up as a software developer over the years. For example, if you give an estimated time of arrival (ETA) for a release of something, someone will always, inevitably, take it as a guarantee and a promise. You cannot take people like that seriously, and you can't just stop giving out ETAs because you don't want to deal with it. It's best just to ignore that kind of sentiment altogether and let it be that person's problem instead, and that's the approach I have. If someone starts complaining about the stuff you mentioned, it's not my problem and I won't let it become one.

pim0

daydreamer
Donor
Sep 20, 2018
I don't bother catering to people who cannot accept simple rules and expectations. This is a lesson I picked up as a software developer over the years. For example, if you give an estimated time of arrival (ETA) for a release of something, someone will always, inevitably, take it as a guarantee and a promise. You cannot take people like that seriously, and you can't just stop giving out ETAs because you don't want to deal with it. It's best just to ignore that kind of sentiment altogether and let it be that person's problem instead, and that's the approach I have. If someone starts complaining about the stuff you mentioned, it's not my problem and I won't let it become one.
well spoken ;)

Reactions: .ox

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Or people will listen to your estimate, then ignore it. This recently happened to me. I was told by my boss that my priority was project A. Finish it, then work on project B. So in our weekly (ugh) meeting I'd give status for project A, and inevitably the stakeholders for project B would ask what the status was, and when I was going to finish it. I got real tired of explaining every week that project B wasn't started, and wouldn't start until project A was done, and dealing with the "but we really need this!" comments. "Talk to my boss".

Reactions: Belle
Mar 21, 2019
A decent Boss would be standing behind you on this though, I know mine did in a few similar cases. She simply took over the meeting for a sec, apologized and reminded everyone WHY project A was the current priority. It can be that easy.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
A decent Boss would be standing behind you on this though, I know mine did in a few similar cases. She simply took over the meeting for a sec, apologized and reminded everyone WHY project A was the current priority. It can be that easy.
Yes, he did. But that didn't stop people from asking me about B during the week. /sigh

Saraf

Mar 16, 2018
Thats a good approach to take.
One should always keep in mind that some people have absolutely no clue about programming so some patience or a complete hands-off approach on side of the developer is normally the best way to go.
I had situations of clients perceiving a simple GUI mockup as the finished product simply because of inexperience of the subject.

Reactions: Belle

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Thats a good approach to take.
One should always keep in mind that some people have absolutely no clue about programming so some patience or a complete hands-off approach on side of the developer is normally the best way to go.
I had situations of clients perceiving a simple GUI mockup as the finished product simply because of inexperience of the subject.
I had managers do that! We told them that it was a GUI mockup, and they thought we were ready to ship. Never mind that the GUI wasn't done, and no work had been done on the junk under it that actually did the work. Or the databases to store our data...

Reactions: Saraf

Saraf

Mar 16, 2018
I had managers do that! We told them that it was a GUI mockup, and they thought we were ready to ship. Never mind that the GUI wasn't done, and no work had been done on the junk under it that actually did the work. Or the databases to store our data...
Yeah,its actually surprisingly common.
Its nice as a cautionary tale of how unknown such basic concepts are for the general public.
Makes me somewhat jealous of crowd/self-financed enterprises like LLtP which actually can take a hands off approach,something that sadly in general software development isnt exactly possible as most work is done contractually(even game development has shifted towards a very similar mindset in recent decades...which is sad but oh well,another topic).

DarkSithLord47

Mar 10, 2019
Quick question: are we gonna have any new content with Evelyn any time soon? seems to me she's been neglected for for way to long now...she deserves a big update in my oppinion

iiRise

Aug 24, 2018
Been playing this game more or less since V1 and it keeps getting better and better, the environment design can be lacking in some areas however the generally gameplay hook is very enjoyable. However saying that the more recent environments thats have been added to the game are beautiful, really cool seeing the Developer progress as an artist throughout a project.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Been playing this game more or less since V1 and it keeps getting better and better, the environment design can be lacking in some areas however the generally gameplay hook is very enjoyable. However saying that the more recent environments thats have been added to the game are beautiful, really cool seeing the Developer progress as an artist throughout a project.
There is no artistry involved. When I started this project, the number of medieval environments made by professional artists and available for licensing was very limited. Many were designed for outdated technology, and some of these I had to use out of necessity, such as LLtP's home location, Callie's store, and the streets. As this project has progressed, new and better environments have been released, and I've used the Patreon money to buy them as they have popped up.

So it's not a matter of me being a bad artist at the start. My ability as an artist has little to do with anything in this game, to be honest. I'm entirely at the mercy of third-party content creators, and I'm not in a position where I can tell them what I need. As such, it's a little unfair to criticize the game for its early environments since there was nothing I could do about it, though you're not technically wrong to do so anyway.

urmrgay

May 27, 2018
Odd question, it may have been asked before even, but have you ever considered removing(or just toning down) the sexual content in the game and going for a full game release through Steam? Like honestly, the models and the sex are great in this game, definitely works when I want to get off but the story is also legitimately engaging and I really do want to see how it all ends. Most of the other games on this site are just "IM GUY, THIS GIRL, CLICK HERE TILL SEX"(and sometimes that's all I want) but LLtP feels like an actual Visual Novel. It's really good basically.

Reactions: Antosha

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Odd question, it may have been asked before even, but have you ever considered removing(or just toning down) the sexual content in the game and going for a full game release through Steam? Like honestly, the models and the sex are great in this game, definitely works when I want to get off but the story is also legitimately engaging and I really do want to see how it all ends. Most of the other games on this site are just "IM GUY, THIS GIRL, CLICK HERE TILL SEX"(and sometimes that's all I want) but LLtP feels like an actual Visual Novel. It's really good basically.
Thank you!

I'm not looking into selling this game anywhere since one of my first promises was that this game was always going to be free (with only patrons getting access to new updates one month in advance), and I don't like to break promises if I have any choice in the matter.

This may not be the case with the next game I make if I ever get that far. I have started pre-production on it already (as in, writing a design document and picking visual and audio themes to carry it), but it's still so far away that it's not worth thinking too much about yet. I have some ideas for it that would make it possible to distribute commercially without toning down the sexual content.

The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
Is the NTR avoidable? Love the renders and gameplay so far but I want to avoid NTR if I can.

4.60 star(s) 376 Votes