Dimitri57

Oldest Dev on F95
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 12, 2017
no up-to-date version but good news is that you can request it elsewhere at f95.
The best thing for Android users is to apply the 10.1 script fix, compress and then port to Android. Android has a 2 gig download limit. Uncompressed, the game is currently over 4 gig. I don't have any Android devices to test if the PAK's work. It's a crap shoot for me to do Android distributions.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
The best thing for Android users is to apply the 10.1 script fix, compress and then port to Android. Android has a 2 gig download limit. Uncompressed, the game is currently over 4 gig. I don't have any Android devices to test if the PAK's work. It's a crap shoot for me to do Android distributions.
well there is bluestacks for android emulations.

Dimitri57

Oldest Dev on F95
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 12, 2017
well there is bluestacks for android emulations.
True. It boils down to time management for me. Time spent trying to figure out another app and manipulating the package size to fit under the 2-gig limit, is time not spent on updating the game. Ren'Py has an emulator built in. I've tried using it. When I distributed it out to my Patrons, they had issues with it working.

e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
Stage names are especially fun when one of the girls dances under a fake name that's another one of the girls' real name. "No, I mean Christina who goes by Leslie and not Laurel who goes by Christina..." :)

Black_Prince

Jan 27, 2020
Sorry to interrupt and also if I am not the first with that problem writing or if there is a relating thread to this problem - I haven't found one, but while I am using linux it seems as if I am not able to run the game...

Everytime I try to start LongRoadHome.sh by double click it just asks if I want to execute the file or open as text file and when I hit "Run" nothing more happen... I did activate "allow file to run as an application" in file properties tab "Access" as always.

Anyone has an idea how to solve this?

Dimitri57

Oldest Dev on F95
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 12, 2017
Sorry to interrupt and also if I am not the first with that problem writing or if there is a relating thread to this problem - I haven't found one, but while I am using linux it seems as if I am not able to run the game...

Everytime I try to start LongRoadHome.sh by double click it just asks if I want to execute the file or open as text file and when I hit "Run" nothing more happen... I did activate "allow file to run as an application" in file properties tab "Access" as always.

Hello Black_Prince, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems running the game. I'm at a loss since I have 0 Linux experience. Maybe someone else on the thread can help you. Are you using the latest full update? (10.0 Part one) There's an old 9.0.1 partial update posted. Don't use that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black_Prince

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023

Assuming you have a Linux distro based off Debian (more than likely), I'm thinking it's probably about /dir permissions (all depending on where you unpacked the game archive because seems to me you're running the correct file).

Without knowing more about your setup that would be my first suggestion, to make sure where the unpacked folder is located has enough permissions to run applications. Sorry for not being more helpful, but hopefully this can nudge you in the right direction.

Reactions: Dimitri57

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023

Ok I've just ran a small test on an Ubuntu VM Fully updated etc. And I'm getting same results as you are, Shell window runs and then quits. And it's nothing to do with /dir permissions. Let me look into this and I'll get back to you shortly.

Black_Prince

Jan 27, 2020
Assuming you have a Linux distro based off Debian (more than likely), I'm thinking it's probably about /dir permissions (all depending on where you unpacked the game archive because seems to me you're running the correct file).

Without knowing more about your setup that would be my first suggestion, to make sure where the unpacked folder is located has enough permissions to run applications. Sorry for not being more helpful, but hopefully this can nudge you in the right direction.
First of all, many thanks for all answers on my matter so far!

I am also pretty new to linux myself, so don't expect an advanced expertise about linux from me, but of course I want to provide more information hoping this helps my helpers to help me run the game ;-)

I downloaded the game the first time and just today, therefore I chose the full one, not just an update. Unfortunately you were wrong, I am using Linux Mint 21.1 with Cinnamon 5.6.8, which is based on Ubuntu afaik.

Something I witnessed, some ren'py games after extracted to their chosen directory come with already set permission to run the .sh file as application - some don't. Why? Maybe this is an useful hint for those who know linux more than I?

I thought okay, just set this permission in the .sh file properties access tab and there we go, but seems as it is not that easy :(

Guide me to get the information you need and I will provide it if this was still too less information, I will be very happy and thankful if this can be solved. Thanks for all your efforts!

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
First of all, many thanks for all answers on my matter so far!

I am also pretty new to linux myself, so don't expect an advanced expertise about linux from me, but of course I want to provide more information hoping this helps my helpers to help me run the game ;-)

I downloaded the game the first time and just today, therefore I chose the full one, not just an update. Unfortunately you were wrong, I am using Linux Mint 21.1 with Cinnamon 5.6.8, which is based on Ubuntu afaik.

Something I witnessed, some ren'py games after extracted to their chosen directory come with already set permission to run the .sh file as application - some don't. Why? Maybe this is an useful hint for those who know linux more than I?

I thought okay, just set this permission in the .sh file properties access tab and there we go, but seems as it is not that easy :(

Guide me to get the information you need and I will provide it if this was still too less information, I will be very happy and thankful if this can be solved. Thanks for all your efforts!
I understand your situation, I'm sort of in the same boat myself. Although I enjoy playing in linux now and again, I'm not a "guru" per-say.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I've tried a few things until it dawned on me to try another VN and worked perfectly. So I compared the log files and here's what I found;
badik log.jpg
This log file is from BaDIK's VN. Those first 3 lines I think can clue us in pretty good if you compare them with LRH's log file below.

Ubuntu 64-bit original - VMware Workstation 15 Player (Non-commercial use only).jpg

With my limited knowledge in Linux, I'd conclude that LRH hasn't been compiled for linux. What I don't get is, Python should be right at home on a Linux platform. So that being said, I'm still a bit at a loss.

Another strange thing is, why is the script looking for Steam..

Ubuntu 64-bit original - VMware Workstation 15 Player (Non-commercial use only).jpg

Not sure if that's what's causing it to exit on load. I need to keep digging.

**EDIT**

SOLVED Here

Last edited:

Black_Prince

Jan 27, 2020
I understand your situation, I'm sort of in the same boat myself. Although I enjoy playing in linux now and again, I'm not a "guru" per-say.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I've tried a few things until it dawned on me to try another VN and worked perfectly. So I compared the log files and here's what I found;
View attachment 2622898
This log file is from BaDIK's VN. Those first 3 lines I think can clue us in pretty good if you compare them with LRH's log file below.

View attachment 2622906

With my limited knowledge in Linux, I'd conclude that LRH hasn't been compiled for linux. What I don't get is, Python should be right at home on a Linux platform. So that being said, I'm still a bit at a loss.

View attachment 2622921

although it is not solved yet I believe this is a promising direction towards solution, at least it is a step forward and more than I would have been capable of, so let me thank you so far.

It is indeed strange, that it looks for Steam.

Dimitri57

Oldest Dev on F95
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 12, 2017

View attachment 2622898

View attachment 2622906

View attachment 2622921

Hmm :unsure:

I checked my distributions settings in Ren'Py. PC and Linux are compiled together, MAC is stand alone.

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

NotQuiteHere

Jan 31, 2019
Seems both LongRoadHome.sh and lib/linux-*/LongRoadHome don't have the execute bit set.

chmod u+x LongRoadHome.sh lib/linux-x86_64/LongRoadHome solved things for me.

In other words, set the executable flag on both LongRoadHome.sh and lib/linux-x86_64/LongRoadHome (or lib/linux-i686/LongRoadHome if you're on a 32-bit system) in a file manager.

I know Funky in real life (I'll gladly accept pity), looks like he didn't unarchive it properly -- lib/ was missing -- therefore problem exists between keyboard and chair there :)

-- edit --

Adding this just in case it's useful to anyone in the future.

It's worth noting that 99.99% of Windows compression tools (WinRAR, WinZip, 7-Zip et al) won't preserve file permissions, nor will they ever. I could go into a long essay about the differences between Windows and Unix, but I won't.

With the above said, Info-ZIP on Unix will honor file permissions, but making use of that on Windows would require hacks that are either long-winded console-based hacks involving things like Cygwin, or hacks involving Python to manipulate zip files, so they're mostly not worth considering.

This means that the only "portable" fix for this is liberal application of "chmod", either via a terminal or via a script.

If you found this post via search, or via someone else... then it would be worth your time to have a look at https://f95zone.to/threads/permission-fixer-for-mac-and-linux.24233/

Although, there is a caveat. If you are not comfortable with running scripts, take a step back, open up a file manager, find the files in question (usually "game.sh" and "lib/linux-___/game", where "game" is the name, e.g. "LongRoadHome"), right-click on them, head to "Properties" or "Settings" or "Info" or whatnot, and see if there's anything referencing "Permissions" and "Execute". Put a little tick in it, and job done.

Last edited:

Black_Prince

Jan 27, 2020
Seems both LongRoadHome.sh and lib/linux-*/LongRoadHome don't have the execute bit set -- unarchived via Debian UnZip 6.00 (20/04/2009)

chmod u+x LongRoadHome.sh lib/linux-x86_64/LongRoadHome solved things for me.

In other words, set the executable flag on both LongRoadHome.sh and lib/linux-x86_64/LongRoadHome (or lib/linux-i686/LongRoadHome if you're on a 32-bit system) in a file manager.

I know Funky in real life (I'll gladly accept pity), looks like he didn't unarchive it properly -- lib/ was missing -- therefore problem exists between keyboard and chair there :)
I did as you recommended and what can I say? It simply worked! I still don't understand the reasons, but I am glad and happy that it really seems to work now. I will definitely remember this if similar problems occur in future with other games and try this again, thanks for solving my issue dude!

MrJay

Apr 21, 2017
Maybe this topic is over and done (and I'm not trying to make a big deal out of any of this) but can I just say I think having a male bouncer sounds just fine. I normally dislike other male characters in AVNs but I trust Dima implicitly and I know he can do no wrong, but even more than that the club really needs an influx of fresh blood, especially the able-bodied kind. Also, married or not, we have ample evidence that none of that needs to matter. If his wife happens to be an absolute babe, there's a million possible reasons why that doesn't have to put a stop to anything. Maybe, and this is just a wild fanciful hypothetical, they're trying to start a family, but unfortunately he happens to be impotent. A sad story, if only there was a dependable a virile friend nearby who could knock up his wife for him. I mean, who wouldn't do that for their good friend? A monster, that's who (no offense to anyone who's not into that, I'm just being tongue-in-cheek here).

That's what I always say, rather than seeing it as a problem, you can choose to view it as an opportunity.

Finally I have to say I have such steadfast respect for Dima and a very real wish to not rush anything and let the creative juices flow as they may because it's worked such magic so far BUT at the very same time I'm also chomping at the bits to get my hands on more of this fantastic story. I'm not the only one like that, right?

This thread is always such a hoot to read, I hope all the regulars stay just like they are, even the weirdos among you (actually, ESPECIALLY the weirdos among you. You know who you are).

• Haha
Reactions: Dimitri57

e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
I did as you recommended and what can I say? It simply worked! I still don't understand the reasons, but I am glad and happy that it really seems to work now. I will definitely remember this if similar problems occur in future with other games and try this again, thanks for solving my issue dude!
NotQuiteHere explained it - Windows archive utilities tend to not understand the way unix (and so Linux & macs) do file permissions. The chmod u+x command he gave gives the file's owner permission to execute that file. Otherwise the OS will refuse to treat the file's contents as something run-able. You'll def want to remember this tho - if it's anything like my mac you'll be seeing this a LOT when DLing things that need to be executable. :)

Dimitri57

Oldest Dev on F95
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 12, 2017
NotQuiteHere explained it - Windows archive utilities tend to not understand the way unix (and so Linux & macs) do file permissions. The chmod u+x command he gave gives the file's owner permission to execute that file. Otherwise the OS will refuse to treat the file's contents as something run-able. You'll def want to remember this tho - if it's anything like my mac you'll be seeing this a LOT when DLing things that need to be executable. :)
I'm just glad we have a very knowledgeable community willing to help others. (y)

4.40 star(s) 125 Votes