Tyr Unchained

Sep 23, 2019
shit some of us will have armies big enough to wipe out the horde alone :ROFLMAO:
And not just that. There is absolutely no reason to face the Horde head on. The Horde is basically a slowly-imploding ball of dying/starving mutants that are at the moment only running on killing and pillaging everything in their path faster than they themselves are dying out due to starvation/diseases. In fact even though I hate Dex and would do my utmost to slit his throat the first moment my MC can do it safely without facing immediate retribution - he might be right about properly fortifying the districts. Sieges are always hard throughout history - even if you have artillery which the mutants don't - and the Horde is literally burning out on resources with every single day they're not assaulting parts of the city. Water, food, medicine, ammo. They have 0 resupply on anything.

If our MC was written competently instead of being written by ArchonStudio who's closest brush with military tactics was "Saving Private Ryan" and the military edition of Playboy - the MC would already be employing Fabian tactics combined with traditional desert tactics of Bedouin and Berber tribes in north Africa. E.g. - literally shitting in whatever wells the mutant Horde is using to provide the 3-4 litres of water for every mutant in their army. They don't have supply trucks/bottled supplies - so they must be using wells at the city border and now the Ost district - pollute those with feces and now the Mutant army is dying because of Hepatitis B - vomiting and dying of fever even faster than they're starving themselves to death. And that's provided that the chemists of our district don't have something even more poisonous/deadly on hand.

Also have Tink train some underlings and keep raiding the Horde 24/7 - rotating in new units every few hours - attacking from different sides and ensuring the Horde can never rest and recuperate because there are our snipers killing their guards all the hours of the day and retreating whenever the Horde mobilizes a proper unit.

Neither of those tactics is particularly new and both were developed by people who fought with sharp sticks and never heard of a flushing toilet. Our MC doesn't have to be a graduate of West Point to use these tactics...

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I decided to fuck... *ahem, I mean "fight for", The Queen.
I will take her under my wing, and make her submit at some point... XD
i don't sexually punish her i use her for the 50 .. at least early on in game ;)
You can still get the money if you need it, but you need to at least do the gentle sex punishments to get her into your harem later.
shit some of us will have armies big enough to wipe out the horde alone :ROFLMAO:
I am a hoard! XD
And not just that. There is absolutely no reason to face the Horde head on. The Horde is basically a slowly-imploding ball of dying/starving mutants that are at the moment only running on killing and pillaging everything in their path faster than they themselves are dying out due to starvation/diseases. In fact even though I hate Dex and would do my utmost to slit his throat the first moment my MC can do it safely without facing immediate retribution - he might be right about properly fortifying the districts. Sieges are always hard throughout history - even if you have artillery which the mutants don't - and the Horde is literally burning out on resources with every single day they're not assaulting parts of the city. Water, food, medicine, ammo. They have 0 resupply on anything.

If our MC was written competently instead of being written by ArchonStudio who's closest brush with military tactics was "Saving Private Ryan" and the military edition of Playboy - the MC would already be employing Fabian tactics combined with traditional desert tactics of Bedouin and Berber tribes in north Africa. E.g. - literally shitting in whatever wells the mutant Horde is using to provide the 3-4 litres of water for every mutant in their army. They don't have supply trucks/bottled supplies - so they must be using wells at the city border and now the Ost district - pollute those with feces and now the Mutant army is dying because of Hepatitis B - vomiting and dying of fever even faster than they're starving themselves to death. And that's provided that the chemists of our district don't have something even more poisonous/deadly on hand.

Also have Tink train some underlings and keep raiding the Horde 24/7 - rotating in new units every few hours - attacking from different sides and ensuring the Horde can never rest and recuperate because there are our snipers killing their guards all the hours of the day and retreating whenever the Horde mobilizes a proper unit.

Neither of those tactics is particularly new and both were developed by people who fought with sharp sticks and never heard of a flushing toilet. Our MC doesn't have to be a graduate of West Point to use these tactics...
Well, that depends, if they get that guy's tank and have enough people, it would not be easy for them to fortify well enough, especially when you consider that he is sacrificing more than 3/4 of their population to do so. After which, not only will he no longer have any resupply, but he will be completely surrounded, with all the food on the outside, since the mutants would have just taken all the farms, and all of our military stockpiles... and slaves to work for them, along with anyone else who surrenders.

You are forgetting here, it is not the hoard who is going to need the resupplies during this, they will have everything at that point, it is Dex who will be stuck with limited supplies, and limited people, and no way to get more. He is a master idiot, who is only thinking with his micro-penis.

Doing raids on them is a good idea though, we could send out small parties, though at this point, I would rather just crush them in one big battle, but I am not the typical player. lol
That said, when you do raids in general, some of them are on the hoard, I just don't care for those since we don't get slaves, and I don't need their money or exp. Those are random though, and I agree that it would be nice to specifically target them for that, not sure if he wants to add that mechanic, but I think I will mention that later.

Generally speaking though, it is written for the average player, who has an army of about 50-100, not power grinders and whatnot, with 500-1000 troops. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: whichone

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
That said, when you do raids in general, some of them are on the hoard, I just don't care for those since we don't get slaves, and I don't need their money or exp. Those are random though, and I agree that it would be nice to specifically target them for that, not sure if he wants to add that mechanic, but I think I will mention that later.
Good call.
Those Raids are pretty disappointing atm, for exactly the reason you state: No blooming slaves, meh.
If they gained some significance in weakening the Horde's forces, then they'd be of interest, instead of skip & go home.

Reactions: TheDevian

packor

Oct 11, 2021
realistically speakin, the mutants outnumber humans no matter how many there are in a small city. Mutants have been "multiplying" forever, and they couldn't possibly have that many humans to raid, so they have to be eating themselves. You can't outraid a whole army besieging you, even if you had food, you would run out of ammo with no way to restock gunpowder, and they can keep replenishing whatever fodder you managed to shoot, and their troops will be "fresh", while you just tire yourselves out. It honestly doesn't even make sense that they're attacking parts of the city at a time instead of just overflowing the whole place at once, but then, no one is sane in this game anyway.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
You can still get the money if you need it, but you need to at least do the gentle sex punishments to get her into your harem later.
yeah i know dude .... just saying to start off to build money faster ... after like 10 times of her appearing then i start banging the shit outta her :love:

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019

yeah i can just surround them and starve them out .. fuck em :ROFLMAO:

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
ensuring the Horde can never rest and recuperate because there are our snipers killing their guards all the hours of the day and retreating whenever the Horde mobilizes a proper unit.
Given the above, I'm not sure of the veracity of the below. :unsure:
I don't think snipers qualify as "people fighting with sharp sticks"... :ROFLMAO:

All jokes aside, your everyday man on the street doesn't know Jack shit about military tactics.
So when the apocalypse came and only some of the people left knew what they were doing in military situations, those people would quickly rise to the top.
Now, if MC & Tink were capable fighters, who figured stuff out as the situation demanded it, then reapplied their learnings to future encounters, they'd be plenty competent, by the post-apocalyptic world's standards. But there's no reason to suspect that they'd know the strategies you mentioned. Valid as they are.
Not without formal training & I doubt if a good number of them are either able to read, or gain access to the books containing such military tactics, anyway.
You'd expect that The Queen (along with any/every other ruler) would have hoarded any books of that nature, for her own troops' use.
Even then, without practical application & experience, book smart is not street smart.
MC & Tink are street smart, not book smart.

So calling it "incompetent writing" & lambasting the dev is not correct.
It's perfectly competent & appropriate, for the world he's created.
MC & Tink are still figuring stuff out, as they go.

Last edited:

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Forgive me for asking a possibly stupid question but with all these ideas of how or not we could beat the horde - what do we know about them? As already Sun-Tzu knew, you need to know your enemy. If we accept gameplay and story segregation: do we even have any indication of their size? I don't remember numbers being given. If there were, the following of course would be wrong. They could be 200, in which case I'll just smother them with people, almost no weapons needed. They could field 20,000 armed guys, in which case whoopsie daisy.

As has been pointed out, only a few of us have gotten any real military strategy training, so what we know is from games, books and movies. So a single guy (or a small team) can easily take out hundreds. Strategy, apart from superior numbers, is often based on superior units and the rock-paper-scissors principle. So we tend to apply these principles to other games as well, even if they don't have them. Some games even have complaints on their forums that you cannot single handedly stop invasions of thousands of enemies all at once (and not in the nice small groups of 20 tops we usually encounter them).

I personally have no idea on how strong the horde is, how their logistics or tactics work, and thus don't know whether they will just roll over after using a certain tactic or whether I would just hit a brick wall.

Tyr Unchained

Sep 23, 2019
Given the above, I'm not sure of the veracity of the below. :unsure:

I don't think snipers qualify as "people fighting with sharp sticks"... :ROFLMAO:
You're focusing on the tools which is pointless. It doesn't matter if the raids are done by people with sharp sticks or techno-las-blasters. As long as you're engaging in linear fighting (e.g. no artillery/air support and no force multiplicators like tanks) the core of the raiding tactics remains the same no matter what weapons you're using. Sure. You don't close to melee distance with a gun. You come at striking distance (which means in range of a gun) strike and then retreat.

All jokes aside, your everyday man on the street doesn't know Jack shit about military tactics.
So when the apocalypse came and only some of the people left knew what they were doing in military situations, those people would quickly rise to the top.
Now, if MC & Tink were capable fighters, who figured stuff out as the situation demanded it, then reapplied their learnings to future encounters, they'd be plenty competent, by the post-apocalyptic world's standards. But there's no reason to suspect that they'd know the strategies you mentioned. Valid as they are.
Not without formal training & I doubt if a good number of them are either able to read, or gain access to the books containing such military tactics, anyway.
Yeah - that's why I mentioned those "sharp sticks" - these tactics weren't taught in school. They were invented by Scipio Africanus, Hannibal Barca in the times of Roman Republic. The only one of the aforementioned who had any formal education was Scipio and he went against his teachings by using tactics Romans saw as cowardly.
Poisoning of wells is recorded to have been done by Hittites in 1600BC. Every human/mutant requires 3-4 litres of water. If they don't get it they die. It's not at all rocket science.

MC & Tink are street smart, not book smart.
Exactly my point. They are smart - just like Ancient generals/chieftains were smart. Yes. Hannibal is often believed to be one of the smartest generals in history. But he and guys like him didn't have modern military academies and books to learn strategy from - they were the guys inventing the books.

So calling it "incompetent writing" & lambasting the dev is not correct.
It's perfectly competent & appropriate, for the world he's created.
MC & Tink are still figuring stuff out, as they go.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. MC is acting like a prehistorical chieftain of a tribe of Neanderthals (sitting on his throne & fucking slaves) - when he should be learning about logistics from Taina and spending most of his days with Tink creating engagement/deployment plans and then tearing into them, looking for weaknesses and evaluating exit strategies in case they don't work out and sending out perspective underlings to get some fighting experience leading raids. Ancient Romans were able to do it in year 230BC - there's no reason why MC & Tink can't do it now.

To quote US General Jim Mattis: "Fight enemy Generals who are dumber than a box of rocks."
Right now - both sides are acting dumber than a box of rocks. I'd like it if the MC could stop.
Sadly that requires a competent writer.

Tyr Unchained

Sep 23, 2019
Forgive me for asking a possibly stupid question but with all these ideas of how or not we could beat the horde - what do we know about them? As already Sun-Tzu knew, you need to know your enemy. If we accept gameplay and story segregation: do we even have any indication of their size? I don't remember numbers being given. If there were, the following of course would be wrong. They could be 200, in which case I'll just smother them with people, almost no weapons needed. They could field 20,000 armed guys, in which case whoopsie daisy.

As has been pointed out, only a few of us have gotten any real military strategy training, so what we know is from games, books and movies. So a single guy (or a small team) can easily take out hundreds. Strategy, apart from superior numbers, is often based on superior units and the rock-paper-scissors principle. So we tend to apply these principles to other games as well, even if they don't have them. Some games even have complaints on their forums that you cannot single handedly stop invasions of thousands of enemies all at once (and not in the nice small groups of 20 tops we usually encounter them).

I personally have no idea on how strong the horde is, how their logistics or tactics work, and thus don't know whether they will just roll over after using a certain tactic or whether I would just hit a brick wall.
Nice. You got points for mentioning Sun-Tzu but in this case I'd go more for Clausewitz or in this case - Moltke. And yes. The lack of intel is tragic. And it's one of the things MC could be doing. Or delegating underlings to do it.

I won't tackle the "rock-paper-scissors principle" since I don't think I ever heard of it. I agree that linear fighting is simpler and you could probably simplify it like that but I don't think we even have enough diversity in units. We have rock-rock-optional paper if we actually get that tank.
As for single-handedly stopping invasions of thousands - don't know where you're getting that. I'd cut down on weed. Superiority complex is a bitch.
But I do believe superior tactics can be a force multiplier and that the MC is in a position where - from available descriptions of both sides - he should be able to win the war - even if he looses some engagements. But it would require action from the MC.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I won't tackle the "rock-paper-scissors principle" since I don't think I ever heard of it. I agree that linear fighting is simpler and you could probably simplify it like that but I don't think we even have enough diversity in units. We have rock-rock-optional paper if we actually get that tank.
As for single-handedly stopping invasions of thousands - don't know where you're getting that. I'd cut down on weed. Superiority complex is a bitch.
Both of these are not what I support but observations from other games - and not realistic at all.

R-P-S basically means that in many games you will have unity types A-B-C where A has an advantage against B, B against C, and C against A. So if you always go for A units, your opponent will easily beat you, even if generally weaker, by using C.

As for "single handedly stopping thousands" - that is what kind of happens in many games (and also movies). So players will expect that to be an option.

And yes, that leads to a kind of "superiority complex" with some players complaining if they can't just curb stomp an enemy story wise even though they win every battle. And while less pronounced, I see some of that in the assumption that the army we ground up should automatically and easily be able to just go to east and turn the mutants into dust without having information or needing some other tactic than learning some gameplay mechanics. Game doesn't allow that - for good reason.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
You're focusing on the tools which is pointless.
You are missing the obvious fact that it was said in jest. Just a joke mate.
The sentence following even begins "All joking aside".

Even then, your reply does not seem correct. Successful strategies are put together using the tools as your disposal. So focussing on the tools is not pointless, at all. To say so, is naive. It's crucial to the success of any strategy which uses tools. As well as being crucial to actually choosing the correct/appropriate strategy, in the first place.
Of course there is a difference between fighting with sharp sticks & sniper rifles.
That's like saying there's no difference between a bow & arrow & a sword. It's a completely different form of combat.
They will inevitably require different strategies to each other.
Hence the joke.
Yeah - that's why I mentioned those "sharp sticks" - these tactics weren't taught in school. They were invented by Scipio Africanus, Hannibal Barca in the times of Roman Republic. The only one of the aforementioned who had any formal education was Scipio and he went against his teachings by using tactics Romans saw as cowardly.
Poisoning of wells is recorded to have been done by Hittites in 1600BC. Every human/mutant requires 3-4 litres of water. If they don't get it they die. It's not at all rocket science.
After they were created, they were commited to paper & passed down the generations.
That's why they exist today, not because of word of mouth, but because of written history.
In order for anyone today to know about them, they need to be able to read.
In the future state, where this game takes place, we have seen no schools, or military academies. No libraries & no internet.
It's safe to presume that a good number of people do not have access to books &, therefore, do not have access to the history of military strategy.
It's also safe to presume that, as there are less books, the ability to read became less necessary, therefore less common. Less books, less people able to read = the ability to read dwindles across the generations, without the knowledge being passed on, or the material to study.
Exactly my point. They are smart - just like Ancient generals/chieftains were smart. Yes. Hannibal is often believed to be one of the smartest generals in history. But he and guys like him didn't have modern military academies and books to learn strategy from - they were the guys inventing the books.
Hannibal had plenty of history to learn from. The MC may not. It's not like they've got wikipedia.
Those books, containing Hannibal's knowledge, are where? Who can read them, in this post apocalyptic wasteland?
I wager not many.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. MC is acting like a prehistorical chieftain of a tribe of Neanderthals (sitting on his throne & fucking slaves) - when he should be learning about logistics from Taina and spending most of his days with Tink creating engagement/deployment plans and then tearing into them, looking for weaknesses and evaluating exit strategies in case they don't work out and sending out perspective underlings to get some fighting experience leading raids. Ancient Romans were able to do it in year 230BC - there's no reason why MC & Tink can't do it now.
No. That's what you think MC & Tink "should" be doing. Based on available military strategy.
Which, as I've already clearly shown, may not even be available to them.
If the history of those military conquests does not exist, then there is nothing for them to learn it from.
It would be incompetent writing to magically give them access to such strategies, based on the premise we've been given. Most of these discoveries happen by chance. If they have never drunk water downstream from where they take a shit, then how would they come to even know of the ill effects of Hepatitis?
They wouldn't.
It's obvious to you, because you have the benefit of hindsight, gained from recorded human & medical history.
If they do not have such access, then it's not necessarily obvious to them. There's no sign that the internet survived.
To quote US General Jim Mattis: "Fight enemy Generals who are dumber than a box of rocks."
Right now - both sides are acting dumber than a box of rocks. I'd like it if the MC could stop.
Sadly that requires a competent writer.
Of course they are, civilisation fell. They have no history to recall these famous generals from.
If Roman history was deleted from recorded history, today, then in as little as 500 years you can envisage that no-one would know about them.
Which is why it has a competent writer.
Your criticism is invalid, because you're assuming knowledge we have, here & now, as if it would still be remembered, centuries in the future, after an apocalyptic event which wiped out a good number of the population & who knows how much of written history got burned away. Where there does not appear to be any internet.

In the world the dev has created, his writing is perfectly competent.
In RL maybe it's not, but that's why it's called fiction. This game is not pretending to be a factual military sim.
From what we've seen so far, they don't seem to have much in the way of tactics or strategy, it's just a bum-rush, with weight of numbers making the difference.
The obvious military analogy would be the Battle of Thermopylae.
Use the terrain to force the enemy into a situation where their mass of numbers doesn't give them any advantage, maybe you can even turn it against them.
Close off streets and force them into a kill zone. Block off entry to the buildings and put soldiers on the upper floors, on both sides of the street.
IDK, maybe it wouldn't be successful, but it seems plausible. Just gotta pile the bodies up high enough, that the tank can't get over them. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Hanny2000

Jun 16, 2020

So far we could only wish for a miracle when we fight the horde.:censored:

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes