ItsAtrX

Developer of Lost in You
Game Developer
Jun 21, 2020
Please don't. Your narration pace is part of what makes LiY top tier game for me.
Oh, I'm not going anywhere near LiL event length, don't worry. I think a happy medium would be around the 2k words/event mark, whilst my current average is somewhere in the vicinity of 1.2k-1.3k. But I'm not going to needlessly pad events just to increase word count either, so reaching that 2k mark would be through more substance.

Reactions: wamzzz and Vizer007

JelF547

Mar 15, 2023
Well, 2k is average of pre-rework chapter 1 in LiL (a bit more, because sel rounded words count down, but nonetheless), so technically it is LiL event length xD

• Angry
Reactions: ItsAtrX

Ksakep

Dec 8, 2021
Edit: I was honestly expecting the more obvious comparisons I've seen floating around a few times, like the smiley face logo and Ikari looking similar to Rin. The latter of which is again, a fair point, as her design was actually inspired by Rin (god how you have dropped in my rankings girl...)
Obvious ones are so obvious that I didn't even try to point on them. But yeah, problem is not that there are 1 or 2 copied features, but problem is in their quantity. Too many copied elements from a single game will make you look as a blatant plagiarist, even if you try to not be one.

I'll read and enjoy your work even if it partially copied, but I really want it to be much better, cause it has good potential.

But yeah, you need more original characters, longer (and engaging, obviously, don't write just for word count!) events, and new, original plot twists, so you won't be compared to LiL (cause this comparison totally won't be in your favour, and you obviously wanna be respected and recognized by people for your own creation, and not for "meh copy of another one" ).

EddyB50

Dec 9, 2022
Well, I know Sel isn't tolerant to a lot of things, yeah, but that's another topic. I posted here an independent opinion, and Sel's own opinion is not relevant here.

Sure, man, let's see some things you blatantly copied:

1. Music.

Yeah, it's royalte-free, but it left a bad taste anyway. You listen this music and immediately have thoughts like "meh, already used by another creator". Be creative! You don't need to repeat after Sel.

2. Characters.

Sara Hina is a bar owner and this bar is not popular.
Sana Yokubo is a girl with speaking problems and stuttering.
A strange godlike being called Sekai.
A cute geek girl promoting Raid? With even a similar event name?

You can be better than this. Add more unique traits, don't use same names. Be creative!

3. Plot concepts

Resets? Seriously? Why not use a different plot twist?

A person asks MC to not pursue a girl before beach episode? And you can break this promise? (also, broken in your case cause you can kiss Yokubo before Shuu even asks you about this promise).

DnD game sessions in any event chain? Be creative, you're just reusing another one's plot concept.

4. Other

"buried beneath your feet" - you don't need to steal phrases even as allusions or references

God god - you don't need to steal phrases even as allusions or references

lust and love points - be creative, in your case these points aren't even used properly, why steal a system and don't use it?

I can find a lot more, but I suppose this is already enough to point which parts are bad. You can do better. You don't need to take all these parts from Sel to write a good novel. You're already doing a great job in original parts. And yeah, events need to be at least twice longer, some of them are extremely short.
This feels like a Kimba vs. Lion King kind of situation where some obvious choices are repeated in both. I don't think AtrX is atypically uncreative, it's that all new creations are derivative of past ones and LiL itself isn't incredibly creative in its choices already. This is not a bad thing at all, of course, neither in LiL or LiY. What's bad is how self-righteous Sel is about anything related to LiL. Man needs to chill.

Slub

Oct 9, 2020
This feels like a Kimba vs. Lion King kind of situation where some obvious choices are repeated in both. I don't think AtrX is atypically uncreative, it's that all new creations are derivative of past ones and LiL itself isn't incredibly creative in its choices already. This is not a bad thing at all, of course, neither in LiL or LiY. What's bad is how self-righteous Sel is about anything related to LiL. Man needs to chill.
LiL using popular themes and features is the reason I’ve been quite confused about it, too. Everything mentioned by this guy is well established in japanese manga culture as well as associated animes, games and so on, and yet, none of these clowns is accusing Sel of stealing them for his game

wamzzz

Sep 28, 2021
LiL using popular themes and features is the reason I’ve been quite confused about it, too. Everything mentioned by this guy is well established in japanese manga culture as well as associated animes, games and so on, and yet, none of these clowns is accusing Sel of stealing them for his game
The guy kinda showed his ass when he tried to claim that Sel invented the concept of love and lust points. Like at that point you have to wonder if he's ever played any other dating sim/vn. It's a bit obvious he's a sel fanboy who came from his discord when his points and arguments are so dogshit, like he's just repeating talking points.

He's either engaging in very bad faith or he's the dumbest person alive.

theblasbla

Feb 2, 2018
It's... weird that nearly all the female characters seem to have the same makeup. Does anyone else think it kinda looks iffy? Pushes them a little bit close to the uncanny valley in a "stepford wife" kinda way and not the fun denpa kinda way.

ItsAtrX

Developer of Lost in You
Game Developer
Jun 21, 2020
is there somewhere i can watch the intro, i accidentally skipped it
The one that plays when you launch the game? It's just a bunch of disclaimers. They'll pop up again if you relaunch the game (unless you enable skip intro in the settings menu).

ppbeater

Mar 28, 2023
The one that plays when you launch the game? It's just a bunch of disclaimers. They'll pop up again if you relaunch the game (unless you enable skip intro in the settings menu).
ah ok i thought there was some actual cutscene i accidentally skipped

69BOI69

Jul 24, 2020
Well, I know Sel isn't tolerant to a lot of things, yeah, but that's another topic. I posted here an independent opinion, and Sel's own opinion is not relevant here.

Sure, man, let's see some things you blatantly copied:

1. Music.

Yeah, it's royalte-free, but it left a bad taste anyway. You listen this music and immediately have thoughts like "meh, already used by another creator". Be creative! You don't need to repeat after Sel.

2. Characters.

Sara Hina is a bar owner and this bar is not popular.
Sana Yokubo is a girl with speaking problems and stuttering.
A strange godlike being called Sekai.
A cute geek girl promoting Raid? With even a similar event name?

You can be better than this. Add more unique traits, don't use same names. Be creative!

3. Plot concepts

Resets? Seriously? Why not use a different plot twist?

A person asks MC to not pursue a girl before beach episode? And you can break this promise? (also, broken in your case cause you can kiss Yokubo before Shuu even asks you about this promise).

DnD game sessions in any event chain? Be creative, you're just reusing another one's plot concept.

4. Other

"buried beneath your feet" - you don't need to steal phrases even as allusions or references

God god - you don't need to steal phrases even as allusions or references

lust and love points - be creative, in your case these points aren't even used properly, why steal a system and don't use it?

I can find a lot more, but I suppose this is already enough to point which parts are bad. You can do better. You don't need to take all these parts from Sel to write a good novel. You're already doing a great job in original parts. And yeah, events need to be at least twice longer, some of them are extremely short.
Just so you know, All these Ideas have been done before LiL. It's also not a bad thing to use others Ideas, if you think a plot point you created is unique, it's been done before and you were influenced by something. Just look at TV Tropes, no idea by itself is unique. Plot resets are LiL thing? You and Me and Her came out in 2013. Buried beneath your feet is not that strange of a phrase for it to need to be related to something else. Bar owner that's going under? Hinamasturi did that in 2010. Both You and Me and Her and Hinamatsuri have strange god like girls.

You also list mundane things like Beach shinanigans, DnD, God (allusions are literally references too other mythical literature so... that's LiY stealing plot points but not LiL somehow???), and love points... which existed since dating sims existed... Taking Ideas is normal. You can copy ideas and be transformative. It's like record labels suing over similar chord progressions and style, it's a non-issue.

Reactions: TBone9

SpardaUser

Dec 29, 2021
Can somebody confirm whether the game is supposed to end at the part where a black mist starts showing up? There were definitely quite a few events left, but after picking a choice the game just booted me back to the main menu.

Speaking of, if the dev happens to read this, please change the way you do this. I just lost 2 hours of progress because you forcefully booted me to the main menu and I had forgotten to save. You could've given a warning or a prompt for this.

Last edited:

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
Can somebody confirm whether the game is supposed to end at the part where a black mist starts showing up? There were definitely quite a few events left, but after picking a choice the game just booted me back to the main menu.

Speaking of, if the dev happens to read this, please change the way you do this. I just lost 2 hours of progress because you forcefully booted me to the main menu and I had forgotten to save. You could've given a warning or a prompt for this.
Gee if only there was an autosave feature that creates an autosave at every choice menu. Oh well,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

SpardaUser

Dec 29, 2021
Gee if only there was an autosave feature that creates an autosave at every choice menu. Oh well,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's great, didn't know this existed since it doesn't usually show up in other VNs I've played.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's horrible practice to boot the player without letting them save first though.

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
That's great, didn't know this existed since it doesn't usually show up in other VNs I've played.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's horrible practice to boot the player without letting them save first though.
It's in almost every renpy game. Out of a TB of renpy games on my computer I can count on probably one hand the amount that don't have an auto save folder.
I'd disagree that it's shitty, but even if it was and even if there weren't autosaves it'd still be your own fault for not saving regularly.

ItsAtrX

Developer of Lost in You
Game Developer
Jun 21, 2020
Seaking of, if the dev happens to read this, please change the way you do this. I just lost 2 hours of progress because you forcefully booted me to the main menu and I had forgotten to save. You could've given a warning or a prompt for this.
0.8 will have a continue button on the main menu (not because of this specifically, but I guess it's killing two birds with one stone). As pointed out, for now you can rely on auto saves (which is what the continue button does under the hood as well).

Reactions: SpardaUser

SpardaUser

Dec 29, 2021
0.8 will have a continue button on the main menu (not because of this specifically, but I guess it's killing two birds with one stone). As pointed out, for now you can rely on auto saves (which is what the continue button does under the hood as well).
Great, I appreciate it.

SpardaUser

Dec 29, 2021
It's in almost every renpy game. Out of a TB of renpy games on my computer I can count on probably one hand the amount that don't have an auto save folder.
I'd disagree that it's shitty, but even if it was and even if there weren't autosaves it'd still be your own fault for not saving regularly.
I don't play that many renpy games, I play regular VNs and pretty much all of them only have regular slots plus the quicksave one.

And no, when the game itself boots the player to the main menu out of nowhere, it's intentional (as every choice except the last one will end your run right then and there) and it hasn't done that before (meaning it hasn't set a precedent), the responsibility falls solely on the game. It'd have been my fault if something had happened that was completely outside of the game's control, like me shutting off the game without saving.

4.10 star(s) 16 Votes