Ren'Py Love, Lust, and Rock 'n Roll [v1.61] [FlinPaltwell]

4.30 star(s) 26 Votes

ELXR

Mar 17, 2019
All in for the rogue but oh my dear sweet god I can't with these models. Hoe looks like the witch from L4D2 if she had pink hair :oops:

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
Version 1.2.0 (or for f95, v0.3) is live! The mirrors have been updated, though the download can also be found
There are three major updates with this version:

Gallery
Screenshot Gallery.PNG

Added a traditional gallery to the game, with grayed-out thumbnails of unseen content! This should make it a lot easier to see what content you've missed.

Ascension Mode
This is basically a New Game+ mode, allowing you to carry over Finesse, Sympathy, and Passion to new playthroughs.
Note that these stats grow exponentially, so each new run will have ludicrously larger numbers than the last.

MORE STORY (Car sex)
JF Car 6s night.jpg

The rock band is now on the road, but they're handling transportation themselves! Their tour involves a LOT of driving, and their equipment forces them to mostly pair off in different cars.
Added completely new, quality sex scenes with each romantic interest - including your actual girlfriend! Whaaaat.

- Dev Notes -
Making galleries is kind of a pain in the ass, turns out. Took me forever to figure out a clean way to implement grayed/blurred-out thumbnail images. I'll note that some images give you some bonus images for free (such as the nighttime variant of an image that only happens during the day in the story, or vice-versa).

Regarding Ascension Mode:
There have been many complaints about the RNG-locked sex scenes. I remain rigid in my stance on them, BUT I decided to implement an "easy mode" in the form of a NG+ mode. I feel this holds with the roguelike nature of the game, and is a much cooler way to make the game easier. The three stats you get to carry over between runs will grow exponentially, so by your third run you should have a pretty easy fucking go of it. However, note that you only get to gain ascension stats if you make it to the end without being caught.

Furthermore, the numbers can go infinitely high, so you'll likely crash the game at some point if you never stop (have not tested). If actions start lagging out, PLEASE just reset your Ascension stats to 0 (from the main menu). You'd have to play a lot though.

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
Downloaded and got a severe virus warning, should I be worried??
A number of people have reported the same thing, so I've done a lot of research on this. As far as I can tell it's common for Ren'Py games to trigger a false positive in certain free antivirus software (particularly Avast).
Some people have had virus warnings from the source download on the Itch page, and I can 100% promise that that download is safe. I can't personally vouch for the mirror links here, but I highly doubt there's anything wrong with them either.

I want to get my program whitelisted by Avast to try to address this, but without a digital signature I'd have to repeat that process every time I release the tiniest patch. So if you wanna play, I'm afraid you'll have to either take my word that it's completely safe or wait like one or two years for me to finish it and get it whitelisted :ROFLMAO:

Jan 31, 2020
A number of people have reported the same thing, so I've done a lot of research on this. As far as I can tell it's common for Ren'Py games to trigger a false positive in certain free antivirus software (particularly Avast).
Some people have had virus warnings from the source download on the Itch page, and I can 100% promise that that download is safe. I can't personally vouch for the mirror links here, but I highly doubt there's anything wrong with them either.

I want to get my program whitelisted by Avast to try to address this, but without a digital signature I'd have to repeat that process every time I release the tiniest patch. So if you wanna play, I'm afraid you'll have to either take my word that it's completely safe or wait like one or two years for me to finish it and get it whitelisted :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the swift reply, I'll have to take your word for it. Anyone who makes a game with a sexy milf like Julie can't be evil right ;}

AL.d

Sep 26, 2016

Avast is known for false positives but I got a severe warning from default windows defender which is much more rare.

The win 32 version is the exe in question.

mannice431

Jun 14, 2017
Same, windows defender signalled there was a trojan.

Edit: Same on the Itch page, i'm sorry, but i ain't touching it until i know for sure there ain't something funky in there.

Last edited:

AL.d

Sep 26, 2016
Same, windows defender signalled there was a trojan.

Edit: Same on the Itch page, i'm sorry, but i ain't touching it until i know for sure there ain't something funky in there.
If you are on a modern system you can just play the normal win64 version. The win32 exe is the one quarantined/removed.

mannice431

Jun 14, 2017
Btw, i just wanna help some people who keep getting a virus warning after having deleted the game.

Go C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service.

In the "Service" folder, find and delete "Detection History".

That way, windows can't keep badgering you about a "virus" that doesn't exist.

AL.d

Sep 26, 2016
GF's parent's are gone, she is in the mood (stat checks passed) and yet the player-controlled MC refuses to do it.

Shouldn't the player be the judge of that? Having stat thresholds on the MC side, on top of al the barriers on the NPC side seems ridiculous overkill. And it also looks like I'm spectating a player character when I should be playing them.

mannice431

Jun 14, 2017
Btw, how do you start ascension mode?

I've reached the end (without being caught) and clicked "start" and everything looks the same.

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
GF's parent's are gone, she is in the mood (stat checks passed) and yet the player-controlled MC refuses to do it.

Shouldn't the player be the judge of that? Having stat thresholds on the MC side, on top of al the barriers on the NPC side seems ridiculous overkill. And it also looks like I'm spectating a player character when I should be playing them.
In order to do that scene, you need a blue and a red card. Sorry, I really tried to figure out how to make unavailable choices show up to have a little more transparency there, but I haven't figured out a way to make unavailable options with colored text stay greyed-out (such as those in the conversation mini-game).

But your complaint is probably more with the core design decision to have such a fee tied to that choice. I understand; it's questionable. I kind of thought of that scene like other normal Stella scenes where you have an opportunity to spend cards to get a strong effect, rather than comparing it to other sex scenes.

I also much prefer protagonists with their own identity, even if it's not super distinct. That just comes down to a personal design philosophy, but I'm sorry if it sometimes leads to a counter-intuitive experience for you in regards to how Flin reacts to things.

Btw, how do you start ascension mode?

I've reached the end (without being caught) and clicked "start" and everything looks the same.
Hmm, it should ask you if you want to do it within the first couple clicks. When you reached the end, did the game tell you about ascension mode, or increasing your ascension stats? On the main menu, do you now have a "Reset Ascension" option somewhere in the middle?

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
Avast is known for false positives but I got a severe warning from default windows defender which is much more rare.

The win 32 version is the exe in question.
Ooohhh, that's good to know. Heh, I decided to download it myself to see what you see, and sure enough, I get the same warning (for both the 32 and 64-bit versions). But I also just got this warning from a different game I tried last night. You think there may have been a recent Windows update causing this?

Nonetheless, I'll look into it.

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
no lie, this is randomly becoming one of my favorite games on here. Please keep it up! Do you have a patreon?
Thank you so much!! I have been slowly working on a patreon on the side so I'd have a reasonable amount of content for newcomers, but I haven't published it yet. I've never done one before so it's just a nervewracking experience for me.

mannice431

Jun 14, 2017
Hmm, it should ask you if you want to do it within the first couple clicks. When you reached the end, did the game tell you about ascension mode, or increasing your ascension stats? On the main menu, do you now have a "Reset Ascension" option somewhere in the middle?
Don't worry, it wasn't working on my current playthrough, i started a new one later on and it worked fine.

As for the virus warning, i would suggest anyone that isn't on a 32 bit version to delete the win-32 exe before you download the rest of the file.

If you do that, there's no virus warning at all.

Reactions: FlinPaltwell

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
1.2, but consider it v0.3 ...

Ehh, no. Call it 0.3, if it is in alpha. 1.2 is a patch to a complete product.

FlinPaltwell

Game Developer
Jan 11, 2021
1.2, but consider it v0.3 ...

Ehh, no. Call it 0.3, if it is in alpha. 1.2 is a patch to a complete product.
I know. I'm stuck in a tough spot here. The initial alpha was released as version 1.0 because I didn't know about f95zone or its version conventions (I'm not the one who initially posted it here). I don't want people downloading it on Itch to have to go from version 1.1.0 to version 0.3, but I know if I state it as such here then people feel misled because it's far from finished.

You think I should just bite the bullet and downgrade the version name for everyone? It's probably not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

4.30 star(s) 26 Votes