VN Ren'Py Abandoned Love Next Door [v0.2 - Part 1] [EroBro]

4.50 star(s) 10 Votes
Jun 30, 2020
Well status on the page is abandoned so it must be abandoned.
The abandoned tag reflects how long it's been since the last update, and by that metric the game is surely and truly abandoned. I had actually heard from EroBro when I posted the reply that you are quoting, and I had asked him to please put something on this board to communicate to supporters that he was alive and well and to let folks know where his head was at.

I can't really speak for him, nor do I want to presume that I know his headspace on a day to day basis. All I can tell you is that the rules for how a game gets marked as abandoned do not include information that I had at the time but thought was relevant (I was in communication with the developer myself). So, I tried as best as I could to let people know that the presumption that the game *must* be abandoned might have been a premature one.

So, yeah. I can read the tags. I just had information that other folks didn't have and shared as much as I felt comfortable sharing to the best of my ability.

I would love to have the man himself come on here and give an update, but I don't really want to presume that I have the right to share information that doesn't belong to me.

Reactions: FookU2

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
Well status on the page is abandoned so it must be abandoned.
That's not how this website works. They mark the thread abandoned when this site stops receiving contact from the dev, or when they see the dev no longer posts updates on their Patreon. A lot of devs left Patreon, or never were there in the first place. And many devs will go a really long period of time without posting updates, but will still be working on the game.
So....being marked abandoned on F95 definitely doesn't mean the game is no longer in development.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
Sorry, but I don't trust that dev anymore. He did that stunt now the second time. Making an update, promising this and promising that, and of course he will communicate better in the future - and suddenly vanishing again. Even on his own Discord not a single peep since, I think, early Jan. Nobody can tell me he had no time for a simple post there, except there is some serious health issue - then I apologize.

Well, time to unwatch that thread. Was a nice try to reboot my sweet neighbours, but even there's surprisingly an update coming again at some time it's imo going nowhere, will never get finished.

Jun 30, 2020
Sorry, but I don't trust that dev anymore. He did that stunt now the second time. Making an update, promising this and promising that, and of course he will communicate better in the future - and suddenly vanishing again. Even on his own Discord not a single peep since, I think, early Jan. Nobody can tell me he had no time for a simple post there, except there is some serious health issue - then I apologize.

Well, time to unwatch that thread. Was a nice try to reboot my sweet neighbours, but even there's surprisingly an update coming again at some time it's imo going nowhere, will never get finished.
From my last dialog with the man himself, I don't disagree with your assessment at all. His physical health has been fine as far as what he was sharing in conversation with me. I just think it's another case of a developer not having the requisite time to execute a plan and IRL issues being significant enough to cast real doubts on whether that would ever realistically change.

The lack of communication with his supporters on Patreon, his followers on Discord, and the folks here is just something I cannot explain. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him get back in the game, but it would take a few consistent updates before I would feel anywhere ready to be invested in the project.

Mondoblasto

Nov 13, 2017
Looking through his game socials, he replied to someone on Itch.io last year that he'd been busy at work with a new firm. It's possible he's working on this when he can, but that's real-life cheques paying the bills and all. We certainly all know that this situation happens.

If he turns up again with another update that would be nice, but I won't hold my breath for it. There are other games.

Last edited:

Maladika

Oct 13, 2018
Ahaha... i feel stuck in a time loop :D

I just discovered this game and this topic...
- "Oh ?!! cool ! a new version of My Sweet Neighbors... this game i really liked the start few years ago but that was finelly abandonned.. saddely"
- "Oh ? but ?...."
- "..."
- "this one is abandonned too ?!"

I wonder if someone will start later a remake of this abandonned remake of an abandonned game.

Jun 30, 2020
Ahaha... i feel stuck in a time loop :D

I just discovered this game and this topic...
- "Oh ?!! cool ! a new version of My Sweet Neighbors... this game i really liked the start few years ago but that was finelly abandonned.. saddely"
- "Oh ? but ?...."
- "..."
- "this one is abandonned too ?!"

I wonder if someone will start later a remake of this abandonned remake of an abandonned game.
I tried to do that very thing, but sadly the project is abandoned unless and until I find an artist and a programmer who are good fits for my particular set of skills.

So yes, an abandoned remake of an abandoned remake of an abandoned game has already happened.

JDVT

Sep 23, 2018
I have ways to continue the story or make a new one but without the
assets from the characters I can't do it?

Jun 30, 2020
I have ways to continue the story or make a new one but without the
assets from the characters I can't do it?
I'm not an international copyright lawyer, but here's my take.

The premise of the story, mother and daughter move down the hall from MC and the MC "romances" both behind each others' backs, is not something that can be copyrighted. It's basically the same idea as a songwriter can't copyright "my woman left me" as a premise to lyrics.

If you were to continue the story with the same characters or use the same assets, then you'd be running into some issues with intellectual property.

I don't know if you'd run into any issues if you were to utilize certain story telling elements (LND used some of the elements from MSN such as running into the daughter in the building hallway because she was locked out of the apartment), but those similarities are broad enough that I don't think you could be rightly accused of trying to do a scene by scene ripoff of the story.

There's also the question (that I can't answer with any authority) over how much copyright is retained over a project that has been abandoned before completion. I can't imagine that the original writer can claim copyright over things that he never wrote, so as long as you aren't cut and pasting dialog or doing a scene by scene copy of what's already been done, you would have a pretty clear argument that you are doing your own exploration of a broader (uncopyrightable) theme. There are plenty of games that take place in college, for example.

I wrote about 300 pages of script for just such a project only to have my artist/programmer realize that he had bitten off more than he could chew. Depending on what you're interested in doing, I could share the work that I did with you and we could talk about making the project move forward.

4.50 star(s) 10 Votes