Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, 0.1.27 still has continuity issues. Once I'm done with 0.1.28 I need to spend time playing through it from scratch and seeing how I can break it. This specific issue is a NO_EXIT flag not being cleared after a conversation (you can see the city map icon is missing). I should really hide the quicknav icon in this case as well.
That explains why closing the game and restarting clears the issue

PhoenixFireeye

Nov 2, 2017
I noticed that if I hit the restart conversation button during the second homework assignment with Emily, the game breaks. I can't restart the conversation. I'm playing the version available here (1.24).

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I noticed that if I hit the restart conversation button during the second homework assignment with Emily, the game breaks. I can't restart the conversation. I'm playing the version available here (1.24).
I've heard that one before, haven't been able to repro it. Where in second homework did you rewind, and what was the bug? I'll see if I can fix it for the next public version.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I've heard that one before, haven't been able to repro it. Where in second homework did you rewind, and what was the bug? I'll see if I can fix it for the next public version.
Not sure what the other guy did, but I just managed to break the game in the same way.
I wasted the last question on "masturbation" and wanted to go back to get the "kiss again" option but it broke and nude Emily is just standing there unclickable. Oddly enough my save game from the beginning of the scene is broken the exact same way.

Can't click Emily, can't move, can't go back no matter what I do. The only option out of it seems to be advancing time till I'm auto-moved by the next Evoker lesson.

edit:
Seems like advancing time screws up the following tentacle event (won before a single card was played) so I guess that's the end of my playthrough. No way I'm starting over from scratch any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Not sure what the other guy did, but I just managed to break the game in the same way.
I wasted the last question on "masturbation" and wanted to go back to get the "kiss again" option but it broke and nude Emily is just standing there unclickable. Oddly enough my save game from the beginning of the scene is broken the exact same way.

Can't click Emily, can't move, can't go back no matter what I do. The only option out of it seems to be advancing time till I'm auto-moved by the next Evoker lesson.

edit:
Seems like advancing time screws up the following tentacle event (won before a single card was played) so I guess that's the end of my playthrough. No way I'm starting over from scratch any time soon.
Could you drop me the savegame file on this, let me see if I can find out how it got glitched.
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Droid Productions\Love of Magic

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, I found it. I was using temp flags (in debug you can see them with an underscore at the start) to track some variables. The problem is I clear those temp flags out when I load a savegame, which meant that that conversation (gated by the _homework2 flag) wasn't considered valid.

I'm fixing that; I probably won't do a build immediately, since I'm just finishing off the main story-arc for Act II (final scene finished yesterday night). I've got some work to do on Elsewhere, and QA to run on it, then Act II goes live.

Anyone interested in playtesting Act II, feel free to join the discord server:

Reactions: DownTheDrain

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Okay, I found it. I was using temp flags (in debug you can see them with an underscore at the start) to track some variables. The problem is I clear those temp flags out when I load a savegame, which meant that that conversation (gated by the _homework2 flag) wasn't considered valid.
As far as I can tell adding that flag manually in the debug menu seems to fix things. The conversation starts and all, so unless this breaks something else down the line I guess I'm good.
Much appreciated.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, did a full playthrough, fixed a bunch of small issues (and some big ones, thank @DownTheDrain and @PhoenixFireeye for helping me track down an old rewind bug). Beta build counter finally ticked over from 0.1.xx to 0.2.xx with the completion of the core Act II story.
1578545897096.png

Want to help beta-test Act II ? Latest builds are stickied in Discord:

I also made a little teaser for fun.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Rolo and L30

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
So, the other big chunk of code for Act II is Elsewhere. Specifically the random aspect of it. I'm about 80% through the systems that arise from this (though I still have lots of data to fill, and an event that spawns off it).

This video does give you a quick intro to how it works

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
So, the other big chunk of code for Act II is Elsewhere. Specifically the random aspect of it. I'm about 80% through the systems that arise from this (though I still have lots of data to fill, and an event that spawns off it).
I like that, especially if it turns into some kind of random dungeon adventure that could replace (some of) the reading books and bouncing bars grind. Not that the grind is too bad, this just looks more fun.
The cards look interesting too. Maybe find something similar for the battle screen, visually more like tarot or some such than plain poker.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I won't be changing the poker cards, but with the sorceresses entering the fray, the game changes up quite a lot.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I won't be changing the poker cards, but with the sorceresses entering the fray, the game changes up quite a lot.
Fair enough.
The standard poker set seemed a bit unfitting to the overall Scottish... Irish... Gaelic(?) setting to me. But maybe you're mixing modern western elements with Celtic folklore in some genius way that I'm just not artsy enough to appreciate. ;)

On a more serious note, I wish there was a tad more fantasy feel to the battles but I guess the system works as it is.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Fair enough.
The standard poker set seemed a bit unfitting to the overall Scottish... Irish... Gaelic(?) setting to me. But maybe you're mixing modern western elements with Celtic folklore in some genius way that I'm just not artsy enough to appreciate. ;)

On a more serious note, I wish there was a tad more fantasy feel to the battles but I guess the system works as it is.
Basically the fantasy elements is supposed to be injected through your allies; we'll see how well that works later :)

1578810816258.png

Also, a huge thank to for this awesome wallpaper of Molly, it made me smile :)

Reactions: Phoeniix and L30

Ullysse

Jun 26, 2017
I would love to help beta-test Act II. I'm hoocked by the story of this game, I'll be gadly help. Alas, the discord link is not working (anymore?). Anyways, thanks for the game, I had a great time playing it !

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I would love to help beta-test Act II. I'm hoocked by the story of this game, I'll be gadly help. Alas, the discord link is not working (anymore?). Anyways, thanks for the game, I had a great time playing it !
Here's the latest one (just copied)

I think generating a new link invalidates the old one.

Welcome and let me know if you have any questions

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes