Crel

Jun 5, 2018
IDK if I am doing something wrong, but new game (not NG+) Paths expeditions seem much grindier and prone to failure now. The proliferation of auras, ice damage, and enemy shields mean you're just doing little to no damage so often. And while I'm not privy to the calculations, it seems like lower player damage output via ice debuff or enemy shields *also* lowers companion recharge rate so it's a double whammy.

It feels a lot slower and grindier than it was, and have lost quite a few mornings at this point due to losses, ilke 5-7.

For reference I'm level 17 (24/16/27 stats s/i/c) and day 39. Using Cluster, Rage, and Pure Damage gems. Emily, Katie, Bella companions. I just lost to an Ice Elemental, the first fight of a new expedition so full health. I never even broke its 500(!) shield. The only damage done to it was Bella's poison rounds since they bypassed the shield. The next day I swapped Emily for Dylan, and lost the very first fight, again, to a Fire Lord (500 shield one, whatever the name is) although it was a closer fight since I could at least damage that one, but starting out with a 40 fire DoT already stacked on you seems like a huge damage increase over the course of the fight. And it's not like you can just say hey, I can't win that fight yet I'll ignore them, since their auras imbalance all the other available fights.

Am I missing something or fuck up somewhere? Are they trying to encourage mutiple gem sets and swapping between fights, like if i had a pure fire set on slot 2 and used it that should have made it a breeze or something? Am I just being a dumbass? It feels like the game's gone from a fun and enjoyable experience to unnecessarily frustrating.

I've really enjoyed and loved these games since like, book 4 was new. I don't like posting something even semi-critical of them but idk what's going wrong now.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Am I missing something or fuck up somewhere? Are they trying to encourage mutiple gem sets and swapping between fights, like if i had a pure fire set on slot 2 and used it that should have made it a breeze or something? Am I just being a dumbass? It feels like the game's gone from a fun and enjoyable experience to unnecessarily frustrating.

I've really enjoyed and loved these games since like, book 4 was new. I don't like posting something even semi-critical of them but idk what's going wrong now.
So, there's multiple things happening.

NG+ has the full set of enemies (and stuff like Auras), so combat does get harder than the old Book 1; at day 37 you're also still very early in the story, and you haven't gotten the upgrades (especially by end of act IV) that will allow you to take on more powerful enemies (Power level going up + Bella's shield buster).
It's definitely assuming you're filling up all 5 gem-sets and changing between them.
Sometimes, it's better to redraw all 3 cards if something is waiting that's going to screw with your day.
Make sure you're not on the wrong difficulty rating; the higher ones do get brutal now, and are really for people who love a challenging time on the paths.

Hopefully that helps.

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
IDK if I am doing something wrong, but new game (not NG+) Paths expeditions seem much grindier and prone to failure now. The proliferation of auras, ice damage, and enemy shields mean you're just doing little to no damage so often. And while I'm not privy to the calculations, it seems like lower player damage output via ice debuff or enemy shields *also* lowers companion recharge rate so it's a double whammy.

It feels a lot slower and grindier than it was, and have lost quite a few mornings at this point due to losses, ilke 5-7.

For reference I'm level 17 (24/16/27 stats s/i/c) and day 39. Using Cluster, Rage, and Pure Damage gems. Emily, Katie, Bella companions. I just lost to an Ice Elemental, the first fight of a new expedition so full health. I never even broke its 500(!) shield. The only damage done to it was Bella's poison rounds since they bypassed the shield. The next day I swapped Emily for Dylan, and lost the very first fight, again, to a Fire Lord (500 shield one, whatever the name is) although it was a closer fight since I could at least damage that one, but starting out with a 40 fire DoT already stacked on you seems like a huge damage increase over the course of the fight. And it's not like you can just say hey, I can't win that fight yet I'll ignore them, since their auras imbalance all the other available fights.

Lighting is your friend for most battles.
If immune to lighting then use Fire and if immune to both then use Ice.

Before you start battle most of the time you can see what they are immune to so yes you need 3 sets of gems.
1. Lighting.
2. Fire.
3. Ice.

Now the 4th and 5th slot I have never used.

Reactions: Crel and ArhraCole

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
So, there's multiple things happening.

NG+ has the full set of enemies (and stuff like Auras), so combat does get harder than the old Book 1; at day 37 you're also still very early in the story, and you haven't gotten the upgrades (especially by end of act IV) that will allow you to take on more powerful enemies (Power level going up + Bella's shield buster).
It's definitely assuming you're filling up all 5 gem-sets and changing between them.
Sometimes, it's better to redraw all 3 cards if something is waiting that's going to screw with your day.
Make sure you're not on the wrong difficulty rating; the higher ones do get brutal now, and are really for people who love a challenging time on the paths.

Hopefully that helps.
This is not a NG+ game; not sure if that's relevent but seems like it is, going by your first sentence.

Legitgamer771

Oct 2, 2018
Are the android versions complete? The fact that they have a different version number makes me think they're out dated compared to pc.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Are the android versions complete? The fact that they have a different version number makes me think they're out dated compared to pc.
No; they got too big (android APKs must be <2GB). For a while I fought with hosting stuff on servers and whatnot, but it wasn't worth the pain and suffering. Book 1 has a complete Android version (but not the New Game+ stuff). Book 2 has one up to the end of Act VIII (it ends on Act XI), Book 3 does not have an android version.

Reactions: Legitgamer771

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
ran across a bug in book 2's A Home For the Chosen questline. I built Tea Room then Dojo. Started Onsen third but it reset partway through, somehow. Construction never completed and it asked to pay again and start again. I did that, and while it did complete a week later as it should, the dialogue option to start the 4th construction, the dining room, has not appeared yet. I have the cash on hand and it's been about another week or so.

I hadn't used the debug menu or any other kind of cheating/editing before all this. I did afterwards, but only to refund the £4k from the aborted construction, but I don't believe that would have caused any issues with the next dialogue?

While I'm posting, wanted to say that I like the content additions and updates you made to book1!

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
ran across a bug in book 2's A Home For the Chosen questline. I built Tea Room then Dojo. Started Onsen third but it reset partway through, somehow. Construction never completed and it asked to pay again and start again. I did that, and while it did complete a week later as it should, the dialogue option to start the 4th construction, the dining room, has not appeared yet. I have the cash on hand and it's been about another week or so.

I hadn't used the debug menu or any other kind of cheating/editing before all this. I did afterwards, but only to refund the £4k from the aborted construction, but I don't believe that would have caused any issues with the next dialogue?

While I'm posting, wanted to say that I like the content additions and updates you made to book1!
I just started NG+ for Book 2, so I'll have a look at it as I go through.

Now's also a good time for any other issues people are having on Book 2 :D

For your specific issue, if you have a save where you bought the thing but before it cancelled, I'll have a look.

Reactions: Warscared

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
Unfortunately don't think I do; my two rolling saves are both recent. I believe you have a bit of wonkiness in the save system though. Flags/gamestate not being cleared before loading *back* to a previous save. I've noticed strange behavior previously using quick save/load to roll back and explore other choices.

Uneducated spitballing ahead:

On game day 155 I loaded my end of act 7 autosave to see what day it was hoping it was prior to the pub problems, and clicking Bella's dialogue here
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Automatically overwrote the original autosave, but I can't continue the narrative, there's no response when clicking on Bella and she's the only interactable actor on screen. But clicking the return to start of conversation button goes back to the morning of day 155, the conversation I was having before loading the autosave. Even more odd, loading straight to a save directly from a fresh instance of the game also does this, though I suppose you know that.

Seems data from the narrative's future is being carried over while loading saves and effecting the game state after the load. Makes me wonder if a construction completed flag or something of that sort triggered, and I just happened to load a previous save at the wrong time and the flag stayed, prompting the game to restart the construction sequence after the load?

Anyway that's my super thin speculation!

Last edited:

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
oh yeah, is there a flag I can set on the debug menu to complete the dining room/trigger the completion conversation?

Legitgamer771

Oct 2, 2018
No; they got too big (android APKs must be <2GB). For a while I fought with hosting stuff on servers and whatnot, but it wasn't worth the pain and suffering. Book 1 has a complete Android version (but not the New Game+ stuff). Book 2 has one up to the end of Act VIII (it ends on Act XI), Book 3 does not have an android version.
OK, thank you for answering. If I want the full versions, I'll just download them on my laptop. It's just a convenience thing, that's all. Lol

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
oh yeah, is there a flag I can set on the debug menu to complete the dining room/trigger the completion conversation?
BUILT_DINING_ROOM is the flag for when it's done.

If you want the dialog for when it's triggering:
KD_UPGRADE_COMPLETE (there's an upgrade done)
WANT_DINING_ROOM (this is the thing ordered)

And make sure BUILT_DINING_ROOM is not set (otherwise it thinks that convo's already processed).

Reactions: Crel

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
thank you for your time! Wasn't sure how far back I'd have to go to find a save before constructing rooms.

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
Anyone know why an unbuffed player (no Rage or Ice effects; just basic shields, Regen, and Bella's 10% guard) with 45 STR would be hitting an unbuffed basic Minotaur for only 15 damage with a Cluster2? My understanding based on the wiki's info is that it should be doing 39 damage (3x9x1.45)

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
Cluster2: 3*9*1.45=39 Actual: 15
Cluster3: 3*16*1.45=70 Actual: 45
Cluster4: 3*23*1.45=100 Actual: 78

Cluster3 & 10 Ice debuff Actual: 0

possible damage calculation operations with 10 Ice deduction:
opt1: 3*(16-10)*1.45 = 26
opt2: ((16*1.45)-10)*3 = 40
opt3: (3*16*1.45)-10 = 60

Something is causing only 10 Ice debuff to drop what's supposed to be a 70 damage attack all the way down to 0. Even the strange 45 damage from an unaltered (Actual) Cluster3 should still end up in the 15 to 35 range after the Ice debuff.

I was going to just swap to a Fire set, but after seeing the intial weirdness of 15 damage on a plain minotaur, I decided to keep gathering info.

Last edited:

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Crel
Go with lighting all the way but for 3-4 monsters and you will never lose.

Even the outsider is easy with lighting.

My main group of gems is all Lighting, my second group is all Fire and 3rd group is all Ice.

Crel

Jun 5, 2018
I appreciate the recommendation, but I didn't post because I was having trouble. I'm on NG+ now and plenty of gems to choose from. I posted since something appears to be wrong either in the wiki, which is less of a problem, or in Book 1's damage calculations which seems more important.

Since I'm getting 15 damage from a gem that appears to have 27 as the minimum 0 STR floor, it seems to be a game issue, not a wiki innaccuracy.

Whether it actually is an issue, or something Droid wants to look into, is entirely up to them; as you say, there's ways around it. Just figured I'd mention it as it appears to be a bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: a1fox3

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I appreciate the recommendation, but I didn't post because I was having trouble. I'm on NG+ now and plenty of gems to choose from. I posted since something appears to be wrong either in the wiki, which is less of a problem, or in Book 1's damage calculations which seems more important.

Since I'm getting 15 damage from a gem that appears to have 27 as the minimum 0 STR floor, it seems to be a game issue, not a wiki innaccuracy.

Whether it actually is an issue, or something Droid wants to look into, is entirely up to them; as you say, there's ways around it. Just figured I'd mention it as it appears to be a bug.
I wouldn't worry too much; I'm not the one maintaining the wiki, but I know the Book 3 gems got some balance tweaks based on other feedback.

Reactions: Warscared
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes