Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
I got stuck at the end of the Minautor fight, during the dialogue.
First, when Emily talked, I had to click on the left white part of the dialogue to advance, and when the MC talks, I just can't click on anything.
Playing level 2 difficulty (just below the default one), 1920x1080 windowed.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah had the game freeze up at the end of the 1st card battle with the "Minotaur". This led to a Kernel panic in MacOS.
My System:
View attachment 472886
Sorry...tried but I couldn't find the save folder. tell me the path you used on MacOS and I will send it to you.
Game looks promising, good luck!
Tried it again, got the game freeze on third try... if I select what appears* to be the choice that she looks cute I want to see her again, instead of the blank space below the text, THAT is when the game freezes. Did not cause a Kernel Panic this time, but I had less things open. also this is not the first Kernel panic I have had since the last OS update yesterday... Game appears to be totally unresponsive, had to close it.

*Choice does not highlight like in previous dialogs...
Setup:
Snip20191128_2.png

Reactions: Droid Productions
Oct 21, 2017
Playing version 0.1.17. There is definitely a mix-up between Intelligence and Strength stats. I don't know the rules of poker so aside from pairs, 3 of a kind and 4 of a kind I don't know how scoring works in the battle game - I'm guessing being able to see the opponents cards is supposed to help too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I suspect because I am playing the latest build was the reason the Emily date in the Paths passed me by as it was due to happen on the same day it was arranged (and it didn't). Also do you have to buy coffee to read?

I really like the game so far and am looking forward to future versions - although I have a sneaking suspicion it might be marketed by Edinburgh tourist board. I'm expecting tartan, shortbread and Edinburgh Castle Rock to all make an appearance at some point.

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
Among bugs :

Saving in a middle of a conversation breaks the game. I saved during the first conversation with "Chloe" when choosing for the first attribute boost and when loading back, the conversation was done and no way to restart it. No attribute boost either.

Whirblewind

Dec 21, 2018
Among bugs :

Saving in a middle of a conversation breaks the game. I saved during the first conversation with "Chloe" when choosing for the first attribute boost and when loading back, the conversation was done and no way to restart it. No attribute boost either.
Try to close the game, open it and then load that save. Rewinding has been intermittently broken for a long time as has loading while in the middle of a scene. I haven't encountered softlocks just from saving unless the scene itself is broken, although this could be new.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I was brought up in Edinburgh. I stopped playing it. It was very annoying and totally inaccurate. Dont use a real place.
I actually enjoy using a real place; gives me inspiration. It's not the real world (and even to the extent that it's based on our world, there are conscious changes, some of which you find from the books). If there's anything I'm clearly getting wrong on the city, though, please do let me know, and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah had the game freeze up at the end of the 1st card battle with the "Minotaur". This led to a Kernel panic in MacOS.
My System:

Sorry...tried but I couldn't find the save folder. tell me the path you used on MacOS and I will send it to you.
Game looks promising, good luck!
Kernel panic is a new one.

OSX saves should be in
~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
1) The poker game sometimes doesn't work, even though I have a match. For example, I have a pair, but it doesn't recognize it. I have no choice but to discard and try again.
If you see that happening again, could you get me a screenshot? That seems wrong

2) When meeting Chloe for the first time, the right half of the text in the left side text box suddenly went missing. For example, Chloe said something like, "Well, I'm looking for a bouncer." Everything after "for" went missing somehow. But if you check back in the text log, the text is there. Restarting the game fixed the issue and I never ran into it again, so I'm not sure how to reproduce this.
It's likely caused by an issue in the progressive printer. You can disable it in settings, but I'll see if I can repro and fix it

3) The STR and INT stat are flipped. According to the display, gaining INT stat adds to STR, and gaining STR adds to INT.
Yeah; the label's reversed in the UI. Fixed

4) After the first sex with Chloe, the "Home" icon doesn't pop up in the Bath, so the only way to move to another location is to select "Quick Location". This persists for a few days before the "Home" icon eventually pops up.
That one is weird as ... never seen it before. I'll continue tracking it.

And finally, is Starcucks seriously the only place I can read the book I bought? That's $100 for the skillbook and $5 for every reading session, not to mention you have to click through a bunch of options first (choose type of coffee). Seems... unnecessary?
6) I'm not sure how the Gym works, are you supposed to gain STR eventually after training several days in a row? At any rate, it doesn't seem like it works.
After thinking about it, I've stripped the gym down and simplified it. It was inspired by the Persona 4 training system, where various things could affect your training speed. Ditched, and now it's just a "every second time, you grow", similar to the CHR chat training mechanic in the Coffee Shop.

Coffeeshop is indeed the only place you can read; I know it's an artificial issue, but I'm trying to balance the fact that books (that cost resources up front / to read) have a reward every time + a balloon reward at the end, while free training only rewards you every second time. I agree about the UX of ordering coffee; added a straight black option that skips the barrista bullshit.

5) If you try to enter the Elsewhere during Evening, you can't progress. No response when clicking on either Dylan or yourself.
EDIT: Something I just remember, but to trigger the Elsewhere adventure you first have to go to the gym and click on Katie, say you want to have a match, then choose to speak with Dylan instead of "so, about the Strip MMA...". Then, the scene moves to the lecture hall when you speak with Katie. I'm pretty sure this is a bug, and even if it isn't it's incredibly unintuitive.
You're not supposed to get that in the evening; I think some kind of progression funnel broke. I'll see what's happening. It should be:
1. Go to Katie, learn about Elsewhere
2. Go to Chloe, learn about the portal
3. Next time you meet Dylan at the university in the morning, he starts the Enter Elsewhere cycle

Something appears to have broken that... will see if I cna repro

7) Sometimes you suddenly can't click on anything. This happened to be several times during the dialogue after the minotaur fight and the hound fight with Dylan.
13) Main Menu button occasionally doesn't respond. I think it's a combination of malfunction with 7).
Weirdness. I've got your log, will see if I can find a way to reproduce and fix that

9) If you check your inbox again after the first time, you can't leave the page.
Fixed. Added an explicit button for it.

10) The item window is in front of the "Resume" button, covering half of it.

11) This isn't really a bug, but it's possible to one-hit KO the hound with a royal flush - now that I think about it I was insanely lucky wasn't I? - which means that the tutorial about healing with Dylan took place at the office. No error happened, but I thought you should know.
Yeah, that's been a PITA :) Balancing player tutorial vs enemy strength is hard. It's why I cheat in the Minotaur fight... even if you do nothing but discard, you'll still can't die :)

12) Another non-bug, but if you try the same trick 3 times while dueling Katie she still says "Do you think the same trick will work twice on me?"
Yeah, I could probably have her mock you even more at that point :)

Thanks, will roll out the fixes once I'm done with the other stuff!

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
is there a reason this game is in unity and not in renpy
Renpy's a great engine, but like everything it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I noticed you're a 4 Elements Trainer fan; that's actually a great example of a game that's pushing RenPy's boundaries, and getting occasional rope-burns in return. In the end, you've got to pick the right tool for the task, and to me I felt Unity was the right tool for this specific task. It does come with complications; Renpy's got a great save/unroll/reroll system built in, and duplicating that is not trivial; one thing I did as a result was auto-save before each conversation (because saving IN a conversation has a good chance of breaking systems), and providing a limited rollback like that.

4.60 star(s) 249 Votes