Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
Another short list of bugs for 0.1.18, Windows:

1) Gamebreaking. Training at the gym timeskips two periods. If you train in the morning, it skips straight to the night. If you train in the evening, it skips straight to the morning.
2) Missing lightning icon.
3) Second half of sentence missing.
4) Sat 21 September morning, when reading the martial arts book, I was able to read twice in one period. Seems to happen only this once though. I believe it's the 2 readings right before the final reading session.
5) Invisible text. Click above "later" and it'll still progress.

I'm having concerns about the hurdle you need to overcome to execute moves in combat. A Pair is the easiest to get, and the Block gem is the only gem that fit in it. However, it's preferable NOT to put the Block gem under Pair because one time during the fight against the monster in Elsewhere, and I was unlucky/lousy enough at Poker that I couldn't execute anything besides a Pair. I had to rely purely on Katie's Fire to burn down the enemy. For Act 1 at least, I don't see the point of constantly blocking.

This is Act 1 so I don't really mind, but in the future I hope there are ways to "rig" the cards so that higher level matches can happen more often. Also, I'd suggest making Block a separate command altogether besides Discard.

EDIT: Every time after winning a fight, I worry that I won't be able to click on the dialogue. It's happening way too often.

Reactions: Droid Productions

pklmjn

Oct 9, 2018
v0.1.18, Windows 10, Fullscreen 1600x900 or Windowed 1366x768:

There's definitely a problem with fullscreen, after the tutorial fight against the minotaur the game freezes in fullscreen, in windowed mode I can continue playing.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017

There's definitely a problem with fullscreen, after the tutorial fight against the minotaur the game freezes in fullscreen, in windowed mode I can continue playing.
This is a dumb question but... when you select full screen, did you do it at the beginning where you unselect the Windowed option and change resolution to 1920x1080? Or did you alt+enter in game?

I tried doing it at the beginning and things SEEM to be okay. It was an incredibly short test though.

Grayman1977

Apr 8, 2018
This is a dumb question but... when you select full screen, did you do it at the beginning where you unselect the Windowed option and change resolution to 1920x1080? Or did you alt+enter in game?

I tried doing it at the beginning and things SEEM to be okay. It was an incredibly short test though.
Alt enter will work just fine it will scale to your desktop resolution

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Unity is good for anything,just need proper skill.
There's an old saying, C allows you to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ allows you to reuse the bullets. Unity is more like a strategic level bomber in that progression.

But to be fair, a lot of the bugs mentioned are just scripting bugs. The blocker on Ceremonial Magic II was literally "Check if day == 17, because it used to incorrectly be triggering on Tuesday, not Monday :| I wish I could blame that on Unity, but that's all me :)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Droid Productions
Seems Int and Str are fixed, even with a loaded old saved game.

v1.18

Dragging gems around is slightly confusing. I have 0 idea on how to switch things around correctly, moving something instead of trading them puts a ? thing that may or may not be filled? Not very intuitive. Also Junk gems not in the first slot are rotated?

On Monday day 23 ceremonial magic 2, Sarah says nothing and the MC only says Later. Is this the end of content? Can't leave the room.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
Droid Productions

v1.18

Dragging gems around is slightly confusing. I have 0 idea on how to switch things around correctly, moving something instead of trading them puts a ? thing that may or may not be filled? Not very intuitive. Also Junk gems not in the first slot are rotated?

On Monday day 23 ceremonial magic 2, Sarah says nothing and the MC only says Later. Is this the end of content? Can't leave the room.
Look up. I mentioned about it.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Look up. I mentioned about it.
The second one was mentioned a bunch, but also supposedly it was fixed. Mine went from unable to click on her, to now only show "Later". So wanted to know if that was the fix, or if the game is broken on old saves.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Droid Productions
Yeah; it was just labelled wrongly.

I need to improve that UI in general. Add a tutorial, etc. Right now it matters less; you can complete the act with default gems, but Act 2 adds an extended Elsewhere that you can explore, and for that I need to improve the equipment interface, etc.

I need to go back and see what's happening there; it sounds like the "invisible line" issue (it's caused by there being two possible dialogs, where one has no intro provided).

The end of Act 1 is clearly signposted:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

After that, the game auto-saves, and you're returned to the main menu.

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
Same here on the .15 mac version. Can't progress beyond this point. Will see if the update fixes this.
BTW the path you gave for the MacOS save game is not correct, at least on my MacBook Pro in MacOS Mojave. Searches for distinctive folders you listed in the path have also turned up nothing.... sorry, wish I could send that data for you.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Wow, thanks for the great bug reports!

1) Gamebreaking. Training at the gym timeskips two periods. If you train in the morning, it skips straight to the night. If you train in the evening, it skips straight to the morning.
Found it. It was advancing time twice in the same dialog. Fixed

2) Missing lightning icon.
Found, fixed. Also added a bunch of new effects (shield breaking, scaling, etc) that may come in use later.

3) Second half of sentence missing.
I take it you're using the "draw out the worlds slowly" functionality, right? Is there any patterns on *where* that happens? For example while speed clicking, speed clicking combined with ctrl for auto-read, etc?

4) Sat 21 September morning, when reading the martial arts book, I was able to read twice in one period. Seems to happen only this once though. I believe it's the 2 readings right before the final reading session.
Found it, thanks. It was missing a link to the next dialog sequence that would kick off the advance_time event

5) Invisible text. Click above "later" and it'll still progress.
This one is top priority once I'm done writing this :)

I'm having concerns about the hurdle you need to overcome to execute moves in combat. A Pair is the easiest to get, and the Block gem is the only gem that fit in it. However, it's preferable NOT to put the Block gem under Pair because one time during the fight against the monster in Elsewhere, and I was unlucky/lousy enough at Poker that I couldn't execute anything besides a Pair. I had to rely purely on Katie's Fire to burn down the enemy. For Act 1 at least, I don't see the point of constantly blocking.

This is Act 1 so I don't really mind, but in the future I hope there are ways to "rig" the cards so that higher level matches can happen more often. Also, I'd suggest making Block a separate command altogether besides Discard.
No, you're right. I think I should swap it around, so you get a Block that fits in a 3-of-a-kind, for example, and put some damage dealing gems lower down by default. You can buy more gems from the Quartermaster, but that takes a while.

Once the Sorcerers come online (there are several), they have powers that rig your cards (replace 1/2 cards with jokers, pick up a card from the board and replace it with one from your hand), rig the board (sort by suit, sort by value, replace center with joker), etc. Basically handled the same way as Katie and Dylan at the moment. That's basically the large bit of tech work for Act 2 (the other part is the actual ingame content; new characters new events, etc)

EDIT: Every time after winning a fight, I worry that I won't be able to click on the dialogue. It's happening way too often.
This would be where I win a battle without triggering required dialog? I may need to flush that dialog if it's happening, I'll look into a system to either
1) totally frontload the dialog (even before the first move)
2) if the player refuses to click on the avatar, any tutorial / intro text is still considered read.

It's not something I'll add immediately, since it has the possibility to screw up other things, but I'll look at it over the next few days.

Awesome work, thanks!

Reactions: lurk34

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Same here on the .15 mac version. Can't progress beyond this point. Will see if the update fixes this.
BTW the path you gave for the MacOS save game is not correct, at least on my MacBook Pro in MacOS Mojave. Searches for distinctive folders you listed in the path have also turned up nothing.... sorry, wish I could send that data for you.
OSX build updated; available on itch.io and on the start-page of this thread (with full archieves). Huge thanks to Whirblewind who took pity on my internet-starved inability to upload the flurry of builds.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

Okay, to the priority queue it goes. :)

Reactions: BruceCM
4.60 star(s) 253 Votes