waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
Renpy's a great engine, but like everything it has it's strengths and weaknesses. I noticed you're a 4 Elements Trainer fan; that's actually a great example of a game that's pushing RenPy's boundaries, and getting occasional rope-burns in return. In the end, you've got to pick the right tool for the task, and to me I felt Unity was the right tool for this specific task. It does come with complications; Renpy's got a great save/unroll/reroll system built in, and duplicating that is not trivial; one thing I did as a result was auto-save before each conversation (because saving IN a conversation has a good chance of breaking systems), and providing a limited rollback like that.
A better example is Lab Rats 2, that game should've been a unity game.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm stuck here on Latest 0.1.18, Windows 10 Full HD windowed.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
When I click on Sarah I only get this:

If I can provide with any more information, let me know how.

EDIT: I saved at that point and reloaded, and the dialogue showed correctly.
There's actually an invisible line above the "later". My screwup, it thinks there are two valid paths out of here. I've got a fix, just trying to fix all the other small stuff before I do all the builds again. In the meanwhile this can be solved by clicking *above* the later.

Sorry about that.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
In combat, I'm guessing that the gems you've put in are also supposed to show up in the Help page? Screenshot attached.
Yupp. Adding that now; I put in the code, then I commented it out to do a build and forgot about it :) Finishing up.

Also, according to the Help page it seems that the J, Q, K cards should, well, look the way they're supposed to, but why do they appear as Aces in the actual game? Screenshot attached.
Both cards actually exist in the deck; I think I'm just calling the other one in-game. Do people have a preference for numeric / picture cards?
1575091392951.png

(as a reminder to self, takoyaki-kun still doesn't animate, which is a shame since I put serious work into animating that cluster of tentacles)

2 bugs one screen. First bug is Emily somehow getting stuck on the left side on the screen. Second bug is when an event triggers and brings you to another location, the top bar doesn't refresh to reflect said location. You'll have to move to another location to refresh it. As you can see, it still says My Bedroom. Screenshot attached.
Interesting one. The "emily getting stuck" bug is theoretically a bit tricky to solve, but likely worth doing, since I think it's one of those bugs that'll randomly re-appear if I try to fix it in data.

Fixing the "move scene not updating title" bug is trivial, will do it once I've cleaned up the UI.

Also, something's weird with Poison gem. As you can see I put it under Three-of-a-kind, but in combat LIGHTNING is the effect that got triggered instead. Besides that, I've never been able to trigger Poison effect. Screenshot attached.
That one I need to dig into; I honestly need to do a full balancing pass on the gems. By the time I released I was emotionally exhausted, and I could / should have spent more time tuning the combat sequence. But watching people play, and seem to like it, has been a shot of energy, so.. once I'm done with the actual bugs, next up is the poker game UIs and balance

Lastly, I suspect that save/loading MIGHT be causing some of the bugs I've been experiencing so far, because in your previous game "Making Movies" loading makes the Stat button not respond (so I have to restart the game every time if I want to see how my stats are doing,), so maybe it's the same case here...?
Possibly. I noticed I'm leaving the saving in-conversation open. That one's a bug mine; I'll close it off. There were also possible bugs when auto-saving in the poker battle, and another bug caused by auto-saving in the morning (so going back to the last save-game for something that triggered a morning conversation didn't re-trigger it). I'm fixing that one now.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
Personally I do prefer numeric/picture cards, or more specifically anything that adds to clarity. Unlike normal poker, you don't only have one row of cards to consider, so being able to identify matches faster/easier is always appreciated. I have difficulty identifying straights especially, and if I triggered it 3 out of 4 times it's unintentional lol.

Oh right, speaking of gems, the skill's exact effects should be listed under skill description. There's a tonne of space anyway. For example, I only know that if you have 20 stacks of Lightning, you stun the enemy when I hover over the Lightning icon in combat. That kind of information should be available outside of combat too.

EDIT: Please make Tentacle-kun a summonable creature in the future! He's so adorable, I wonder how he'll look over Emily and Katie. XD

Reactions: Droid Productions

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
It was a shame that Mr. Wriggles wasn't animated pre-fight scene and during too.

Will there be animation of damage. I understand the character plays poker, but how does the damage actually happen, especially with gems? Also I hope we will one day get to see Katie playing bejeweled with a really angry face.

Next up we might find an evoker who does Threes, or Mahjong

As an aside, a kind of bug. When I was checking a lot of the Olivia text, her image kept kind of moving towards the left of the screen.

Card front is mainly think of the elderly, they want easy to read and tradition. Now there are 3 major versions, you cover 2 of them, the 3rd is the multi-color deck. black spades, red hearts, blue diamonds, green clubs. Still weird cards are upside down and in the Plate deck I would rather the ten be a capital T, but all in all just have an option for player to choose their deck "face" should be fine.

I would like the battle screen to have more stuff to it. Show your "staff" thing, the gems inside it, if they go off make it flash or something and throw the spell or whatever, there is just so much empty space, things can be a bit larger or more stuff.

I would also like to keep the background of where the fight is instead of being pure blue, unless you have story reasons for this.

Only other game thing that might be a problem in the future, diagonal corners seem strongest. Anywhere else you can get maybe 3 connections, the diagonals can max up to 6.

Hopefully before act 2, and after all the fixes. I will go through the text again and check for typos. If you didn't see my other posts with more typos you may want to check back on all of them.

Good luck with the bug squashing, and Nimue is best girl. She will be the mother of the Winter King's dynasty.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
As a proud fan of the Venus Blood series, we must declare that neither decapitation nor burning alive is going to stop us from getting our prize. MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

niennunb

Jun 15, 2017
It goes on, sounds like you hit a bug. Can you tell us what screen you're stuck at and what build number?
there's an official "no more content" sequence. (Well, no more timed story content; there's other actions, like MMA fights with Katie, reading, meeting Olivia, etc that can be done in any order; and will be available in act II as well)
View attachment 473877
I'm playing the 0.1.18 build, and I did not see that ending screen...

I can still play (= I'm not stuck) but Emily and MC scheduled a date for friday, it's friday and even by just advancing time I can't trigger it (If I recall correctly, the date is supposed to be in elsewhere).

1575108799112.png

Here is my save file.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, I'll have a look. All the act 1 dates with Emily are Friday afternoon. If its not triggering something went wrong before.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: niennunb

niennunb

Jun 15, 2017
Okay, I'll have a look. All the act 1 dates with Emily are Friday afternoon. If its not triggering something went wrong before.
I think I found what happened : I went to the gym, and as it takes two time units to "hit the bags" (morning -> gym -> night), it skipped the date without me noticing... I can trigger it with an earlier save...

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I think I found what happened : I went to the gym, and as it takes two time units to "hit the bags" (morning -> gym -> night), it skipped the date without me noticing... I can trigger it with an earlier save...
Yeah, that would do it. Fixed in 0.1.19, but I wanted to fix a bunch of other small things while I was at it.

Reactions: lurk34

Taureum

Jul 1, 2018
I'm stuck here on Latest 0.1.18, Windows 10 Full HD windowed.
When I click on Sarah I only get this:

If I can provide with any more information, let me know how.

EDIT: I saved at that point and reloaded, and the dialogue showed correctly.
Skip Time once. and Talk to her again, worked for me.

So far, good Game and even with bugs it is Fun.
The small (let's call it Idle) animations are Awesome. Sure like said its small but still something which we dont se often.
I for my self play more Solitaire than Poker or something simillar but in this Case its well done.
The Gems are something refreshing even the only one i've buyd was a mid Poison.
Lightning, Fire, Power, Rage and Poison, the last time i saw something atleast similar was back in Maestia(MMO). Hope there will be more elements some day. It will be hard to farm the Money for Gems, when the next Day triggers a Event (well there is still Save Editor for lack of Money ;)).
You probably guessed allready but my native Language is (Swiss)German so it was hard but even so fun to read the Scottish Dialect, so have keep it up your Humour (Starcucks, not bad!).
I know it was a first Release but stil can i Ask you how much Time have you planned between updates?

The Game is promissing and i hope you will have many Donators in the Future ( I would if i had the money) and Good Luck :)

• Red Heart

Phoeniix

Oct 24, 2017
I have noticed that this place where I get stuck has a location flaw.
This event starts at the bedroom, and the game is pushing the entire sequence to the Ceremonial Magic class but... the location indicated at the top NEVER CHANGES from the bedroom. Any attempt to change the location before or after getting stuck has no impact
Snip20191130_12.png
This is from 0.1.19 now.

GreyJim

Dec 16, 2018
I've just been trapped here as well, except in my case the location is correctly shown: "RitualRoom", but I saved and quit the game at the beginning of this scene, so reloading at that point must fix the location name... and get you stuck!

I did manage to get all the way through this scene and back out to the lecture room by loading an earlier save and replaying through from it.

So far this has been a fun ride. The graphics and characters are excellent, the dialogue is clever - it has a "Dresden Files" feel to it which is great, and I'm enjoying the poker mini battle games - they keep my brain on its toes.

Last edited:

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
Uh, just ignore the top bar. Yes, it doesn't refresh until after the event, but it's mostly a minor annoyance that shouldn't affect your play through 90% of the time.

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
One small thing with the load/save screen. You can't grab the scrollbar cursor and move it normally like any regular window scrollbar, it still behaves like the rest of the list though it should be able to move all the way up or down.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
it has a "Dresden Files" feel to it which is great, and I'm enjoying the poker mini battle games - they keep my brain on its toes.
Yeah, the Dresden Files (as well as other Urban fantasy, like Changeling Saga, Alex Verus, etc) was a huge influence. Glad you liked it :)

Reactions: GreyJim

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
One small thing with the load/save screen. You can't grab the scrollbar cursor and move it normally like any regular window scrollbar, it still behaves like the rest of the list though it should be able to move all the way up or down.
Interesting note. I'll check it out.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
This event starts at the bedroom, and the game is pushing the entire sequence to the Ceremonial Magic class but... the location indicated at the top NEVER CHANGES from the bedroom. Any attempt to change the location before or after getting stuck has no impact
Yeah; the forced transitions don't go through the same codepath, so they don't refresh the text. Fixed!

4.60 star(s) 254 Votes