Brigma

Jan 25, 2018
It is common in myth and legend from many cultures that gains in power and knowledge come only after near death or spiritual death experiences. Even in the Arthurian legends Arthur almost dies and Excalibur is broken and both are mended before he goes on to build Camelot, marry Guinevere, gets the round table as a wedding present, and forms the Knights of the Round Table.
Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Reactions: Droid Productions

Jace325

Dec 27, 2019
The first time I tried this I dropped it during the prolog (for dumb reasons in hindsight). Now that I've actually played it Its one of my new favs. The story is so good, I was so hype in act 4. Those combat mechanics are incredibly fun, part of me wants a real challenge in combat but part of me doesn't want to get distracted from the story. I cannot wait for more.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

Animation in DAZ is very much hit and miss. iRay rendering times are pretty insane, there's no reliable in-editor preview (you can press "play", but it runs at seconds per frame, making timing and continuity hard to track). And a single bad frame can ruin a shot, forcing you to re-render large chunks.

Having said that, I've never managed to screw up *quite* this badly before. 18 hours worth of rendering, down the drain. It's enough that I went back to fix up my workflow. I'll talk a little more about that later. For now, enjoy this epic fail.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm still having an issue with Olivia and Black Rose III in 0.4.13.

Additional issue with Olivia event
It should only take one slot anyway, which should stop that from happening. As for the second issue, I need to do a full debugging pass. I kinda got lost in animations and Act V prep the last week, need to drag my head back to finishing Act IV++ so I can focus properly.

Reactions: L30

PaxNeo

Mar 27, 2020
I really like the Game, the Grafics and the Story.
The Combatsystem is... well meh. I dont like it.
But what i really kind of hate is that you cant save anytime - some Ingame Days are really long and if you forgot to save azt the end of a Day and you run out of Time you need to play till you are able to save again - its like Savepoints in old Final Fantasy Games - you are forced to play until the Game allows you to save.
No idea why that kind of "Feature" is still a Thing - maybe the Dev dont want the player to test Choices but for that you can load again - its just a really BIG Con for me and thats why i think twice to start the Game because i dont know when i am able to Save again.
Beside that - and that it is made in Unity - it is a very good Story with nice Chars but the Savefunction is really messed up - at least in my Opinion.

Reactions: Shadow Neko and p22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I really like the Game, the Grafics and the Story.
The Combatsystem is... well meh. I dont like it.
But what i really kind of hate is that you cant save anytime - some Ingame Days are really long and if you forgot to save azt the end of a Day and you run out of Time you need to play till you are able to save again - its like Savepoints in old Final Fantasy Games - you are forced to play until the Game allows you to save.
No idea why that kind of "Feature" is still a Thing - maybe the Dev dont want the player to test Choices but for that you can load again - its just a really BIG Con for me and thats why i think twice to start the Game because i dont know when i am able to Save again.
Beside that - and that it is made in Unity - it is a very good Story with nice Chars but the Savefunction is really messed up - at least in my Opinion.
You can quicksave at any time you are not in a conversation. Left top.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
It's not a feature, just lack of one. Renpy's done a really good job with their script interpreter; the commands people use are basically not executed directly, but placed on a stack, and you can undo/redo freely (similarly to a text editor, for example). Now, if all you play is Renpy games, that seems *obvious*. But it's actually quite a lot of non-trivial engineering work to build that system, and one that I didn't do for my conversation system (not an uncommon situation for any game that's non renpy, incidentally). As a result of that, saving mid-conversation will lead to all kinds of bugs, which is why I disabled saves in mid-conversation. Any time you're not chatting you can save.

Not an ideal situation, but it's not a design decision brought forth by malice.

Reactions: L30 and Real Kreten

ghostforged

Apr 8, 2019
i put this off for a long time now. i played it for about 20 mins and stopped because i didnt have time to get into a long game.. well now i have gotten myself up to date and i have to say that this has possibly been one of the most epic stories i have read and the game play runs smooth. but in all seriousness were the dev to just drop a novel version of this and more of its ilk, id be first in line to get them. i am whole heartedly enthralled by this and will closely follow it til completion!!!

Pandaman Games

Developer of Price of Power
Game Developer
Mar 10, 2018
This is a fantastic game that I couldn't recommend more highly. The story is definitely the best part and it's much more engrossing and interesting than almost any other game that I've played on this site - only Philly Games has comparable plotlines IMO. The renders and animations are also quickly and clearly getting better and more professional (and they were already good to start with), so I'm extremely excited to see what Books 2 and 3 will bring.

Question for Droid: Are you seriously doing all of this work yourself? I'm slowly working on my first VN in Ren'py (which has a lot more guardrails/built-in features for VNs) and it's a lot of work...I can't imagine developing a game of the scale/quality as Love of Magic with a one-person dev team.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Question for Droid: Are you seriously doing all of this work yourself? I'm slowly working on my first VN in Ren'py (which has a lot more guardrails/built-in features for VNs) and it's a lot of work...I can't imagine developing a game of the scale/quality as Love of Magic with a one-person dev team.
Yupp. Its fun, but a lot of work. Especially the cutscenes (which are quite different from the usual 15 second loops).

9 months ago I'd never opened DAZ, so it's definitely been a learning journey.

Rasc

Dec 15, 2019
I have a question that must have been answered a million times. Do I need to learn how to play poker?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I have a question that must have been answered a million times. Do I need to learn how to play poker?
Nah, there's an "pick the hand that's going to give you the highest score" button in there already ("Auto"). And there's not really much actual *poker* in there; if you know what a straight or a pair is, that's about all that's needed. The various spells in the game are triggered based on the hand they're on, so if you have a "pair" (two of the same value), that will trigger the spell bound to the Pair slot.

All the poker hands are listed in-game, but if you're not into the combat sequence there's only something like 5 "story" combat sequences, all of them are literally impossible to lose, and you can just press auto.

I added this after watching a poor streamer struggle so hard with the Poker game that she invented several new classes of bugs in the process. It was a bit like watching a cat that has fallen into a half-full bathtub.

Huisie

May 9, 2018
Hi, DP - very much enjoying the game but running into same issue as below, day 48. Did you ever track down the bug and is there anything I can do to fix this, please?

So I just fought the chap that had been bothering Snowdrop in elsewhere, and after the battle I ended up with just the elsewhere background. I clicked a few times and then got the regular interface instead of the elsewhere-specific one.

Eventually I used the skip time button to get out of elsewhere and progress the game. I can provide the log, although it doesn't seem to contain anything terribly useful regarding the event.
Yeah, had another bug report on this, trying to reproduce it locally.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes