Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
I'm not sure it's a bug, it may be a problem of my computer, that is quite old and sometimes the games lags heavily. In these situations if I'm fighting against a creature, one or even both of the cards I put on the table have a strange behavior. Instead of the short animation where the size of the card varies slightly before finally stabilizing to the correct size, the oscillation grows out of control, the card gets bigger and bigger and in the end it can cover the entire screen. When this happens, it usually stops the next turn when I manage to select a new card. I think I can reduce the chances of having this strange behavior if I place the card very carefully in its space on the grid.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm not sure it's a bug, it may be a problem of my computer, that is quite old and sometimes the games lags heavily. In these situations if I'm fighting against a creature, one or even both of the cards I put on the table have a strange behavior. Instead of the short animation where the size of the card varies slightly before finally stabilizing to the correct size, the oscillation grows out of control, the card gets bigger and bigger and in the end it can cover the entire screen. When this happens, it usually stops the next turn when I manage to select a new card. I think I can reduce the chances of having this strange behavior if I place the card very carefully in its space on the grid.
That's a curious one; sounds like some kind of oscillation in the card code, likely from low framerates.

I'll see if I can put a fix on that.

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019
Katie has a Spark, she can't become a Chosen. She can eventually get her *own* Chosen, though.
I have been meaning to ask, the fan art you have on your posts showing Katie in that armor, when is it going to be given to her so she can wear it instead of the merc armor?

D

Deleted member 2107272

Have you ever considered a rebranding? The branding of the game right now (especially this page) is in my opinion way too out of touch with what the game, like, actually is. It's too tame. In my review I've explained a bit more on why I think so.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Have you ever considered a rebranding? The branding of the game right now (especially this page) is in my opinion way too out of touch with what the game, like, actually is. It's too tame. In my review I've explained a bit more on why I think so.
Yeah, I've thought about it ;) Just ... time. But I should definitely give it a makeover.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Well though it is not about the game per se, but your review missed that this game also has a very communicative and helpful dev. The fact he has a good community and loads of testers is also due to his efforts. :)

D

Deleted member 2107272

Just ... time.
I doubt it'd take more than 1/5th of the time to make a new Act, and I'm quite sure the impact would be a lot more than simply releasing a new act, at least financially - a new act most often simply rekindles the interest of old supporters, who generally tend to stick for a while, and an advertisement campaign will draw in new people, who will convert into old supporters down the line.

Alright, I don't wanna beat this dead horse any more, just wanted to draw attention to this. Sorry for having started the beating.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Capacitor

Dec 8, 2017
That's a curious one; sounds like some kind of oscillation in the card code, likely from low framerates.
That's what I thought too. Also, in the previous version (0.4.18 I think) I didn't have that problem. Probably a limit on size and/or number of oscillations should to the trick.

Yubiwan

Sep 18, 2019
That's weird. What OS are you on, and if it's a desktop, can you send me zip of the savegame folder?
PC: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic Linux:
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/unity3d/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
I'm on windows 10. Btw, the music is not playing either, although I can see the track when in the setting.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I'm on windows 10. Btw, the music is not playing either, although I can see the track when in the setting.
Yeah, it's basically failing to access any of the Addressable files (which includes the music and background).

Exception encountered in operation Dependencies: Invalid path in AssetBundleProvider: 'StreamingAssets/aa/Windows/StandaloneWindows64/pokercards_assets_all_fe739b8e6f74fb9364bf04a5087aac22.bundle'.

Could you try a fresh zip out to a neutral location, like c:\temp? I've seen Unity's addressable system choke on weird paths.

Yubiwan

Sep 18, 2019
Yeah, it's basically failing to access any of the Addressable files (which includes the music and background).

Exception encountered in operation Dependencies: Invalid path in AssetBundleProvider: 'StreamingAssets/aa/Windows/StandaloneWindows64/pokercards_assets_all_fe739b8e6f74fb9364bf04a5087aac22.bundle'.

Could you try a fresh zip out to a neutral location, like c:\temp? I've seen Unity's addressable system choke on weird paths.
Yep, it works now. Thank you.

feres

Jul 9, 2017
I think i found a bug: in act 4 during the dragon fight, after the cutscene where Excalibur told us that Emily is on the cusp of becoming a power i find myself in the battle again, but the battle ui disappeard and if i hover my mouse on my char i see the option it's time to go, but when i click nothing happens

I'm having the same problem. Anyone has a solution?

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
This MC seems to get more obnoxious as he gains power. There's a saying, "Watch who you tread on on the way up, because you'll meet those same people on the way down." I mention this because the character's attitude isn't that of a protagonist people want to root for, but an asshole who people want to see fall from a high place. Tearing people down with petty antagonism isn't the mark of a hero, but an immature punk.

Heavy Sleeper

May 10, 2020
This MC seems to get more obnoxious as he gains power. There's a saying, "Watch who you tread on on the way up, because you'll meet those same people on the way down." I mention this because the character's attitude isn't that of a protagonist people want to root for, but an asshole who people want to see fall from a high place. Tearing people down with petty antagonism isn't the mark of a hero, but an immature punk.
But that was talked about the whole game. Every person he talks to tells him that because of his power his emotions run wild, look at Katie. She is just as reckless, and is willing to blow up everything if she had the chance. The game keeps telling us that Emily is keep his anger in check, this is the mark of a great way of keep the player in suspense in case something horrible will happened to Emily.

Also he protects his friends more then anything, this is something people always root for. Sure he is a cocky ass sometimes, but it's fit well withing the dynamic he has with the group(even more so with Emily).

D

Deleted member 2107272

This MC seems to get more obnoxious as he gains power.
I wouldn't say "obnoxious", but I would say "paranoid, nervous, short-tempered and corrupted by power".

The lives of him and everyone he cares about are in constant danger from a threat larger than anyone could possibly imagine. Certainly larger than any modern nation can present. He knows that the doomsday clock is steadily counting down to midnight, he knows he has no choice in the matter, and he knows that his closest friends and lovers are in a massive amount of danger. He had his trust betrayed by two of his teachers now, one of whom he and Katie trusted fully. He keeps having monsters trying to murder him. All the while he has zero experience living in such an environment, and is probably the age of an average person of this website (I believe MC's 22?). All the while he only wants to retire with Emily. That's enough to make anyone paranoid and nervous.

On the other hand, he's been given more power than anyone, in his universe or in ours, can possibly imagine. He is by far the most powerful being that universe has ever witnessed. He is surrounded by his friends, all of them Powers in their own right. His friends and him form the most powerful military force his universe has ever seen, and each of his friends will do whatever MC commands or even merely desires. He is a God, in more ways than one - he is also a cult leader, his friends worship him like people worship normal cult leaders in our world (just one amazing bit of theme in this game, and there are plenty). MC is on a mission, with a belief that he is CONVINCED is right and noble. He is CONVINCED that his path is the righteous one. And then there are people who stand in his way. Maybe they oppose his goal and vision. Maybe they are just individuals, with their own beliefs and desires. He doesn't know. But he does know that they stand in his way. Between him and his girls. Between him and saving the world. Their motivations don't matter. To him, they are obstacles. They MUST be destroyed. It's us vs them. Either you're with MC all the way, or you're against him. And maybe, in the meantime, he can play around with his power. After all, what's the worst that can happen? He's powerful, and he can surely think through all possibilities. What's the worst that can happen from him toying with his thot of a professor? Hence the short temper, and hence the corruption by power. MC right now is Hitler in the making.

Honestly, right now, I can't see what would have to happen for MC to relinquish his power after the war. Perhaps we will see him pull an Anakin, and kill Emily, but I don't know whether that would straighten him out and compel him to retire or send him deeper into murderous madness. Perhaps he would have to be overthrown. Perhaps he will indeed turn into Multidimensional Hitler and try to reshape society in order to fight a war for its survival, creating a secret police to hunt down enemies of his state, and he'd leave the world worse off than if the Outsiders came. I don't know. And honestly, with writing this great, I am really unwilling to speculate, I would rather like for Droid to do the writing and enjoy his work, maybe even learn from him a bit - definitely learn some storytelling, at least.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Raptus Puellae

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I think good characters should have flaws, it's what makes them interesting. Anger's also a recurring theme in the game; MC and the other Evokers all struggle with it, Bella's entire nature is defined by rage and her attempts at controlling it, and Emily's Pendragon temper is one of her principal flaws (the innocence is a feature, not a bug). Molly, post-Chosen, is one of the few that seem completely free of it. Perhaps one of the reasons the others love her so much.

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
I think you missed the point, that his antagonistic remarks are needlessly petty, even to his allies. That ego clash with the kitsune could've smoothed over if he could keep his damn mouth shut. The fact is that he bungled his first impression with her and then didn't permit her to save face at the end.

If you ever get a voice actor for the MC's lines, I'm sure you'll hear how bad it sounds, how jerkass and unsympathetic it makes him come across.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes