Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
Thor - I am quite sure he will be converted to our side around the climax, when he sees WHY we are fighting and that we do indeed have a chance to win - despite how bad of a light others have portrayed him in, he has a point, a flawed point, but a point, and if the game strives for a happy end, said point should be defeated in a debate, and not in a fight
Thor's pantheon has been assembling forces for the end of the world for over millenias, and yet Thor thinking he knew the answer tried to kill a powerful war asset. He betrayed his own.
(Eric - while he isn't exactly the best of people, he is not even there to oppose MC - he doesn't even know that MC is kind of a big deal. All he wants is to kill a dragon and to protect the chastity, honor and power of his daughter, knowing that if his daughter was to marry outside nobility, her power at the court would be ruined, just like his was. He is a scarred man, worrying deeply for his daughter, not willing to lose her like he lost his wife.
I might have misread but Erec treated emily as merchandise to trade for influence
ts/mercenaries tossed into the thick of the fight without knowing what they are even fighting for" (the soldiers - even Emily partakes in murdering them, for all the restraint that she is supposed to have).
a girl was abducted, they knew about it and yet decided to follow orders. and by how Emily aquired that knife, some wanted to have some fun.
Emily is a queen and those nobles broke their oath for their own ambitions, making her country that she feels responsible for even less stable while she knows a storm is coming and killed people she cared about. What do you expect her to do? Roll over and say I am so sorry you do not like the idea of me being ruler in my own right, go ahead take over my country, fuck it up and kill those I love and feel responsible for? They had their chance and made their choice for ambition and murdered in name of that ambition. In their world you do not answer that with diplomacy or kindness, since that is a weakness especially with the Cult involved.
Sure, it is not the UN and sometimes you need to use force. But initiating aggression to achieve your goals is a slippery slope to tyranny. Aggression knows no right and wrong. You can be right and your initiation of it will actually bring good to the world. You can be wrong and your initiation of it will bring evil to the world. Aggression doesn't care, and you will win if you are stronger. And, let's admit it, nobody has a perfect knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. Not even Gods. Not even Seers.
In order to not become a dictator, you need to believe that you are not perfect. You need to believe that you don't always know what is right and what is wrong. You need to be ready for a surprise and admit that it is possible that EVERYTHING you believe is wrong. When you admit that, the only way forward for you is respecting individuals and their liberties. Who knows, maybe an individual DOES know better than you in this particular instance. Especially if they are there, on the ground, making these decisions, and you are sitting up high in your own castle with a myopic vision. If you clash with an individual, there are only 3 ways forward - you can debate them, convince them that you're right, you can make a trade with them, find a compromise where both of you are reasonably happy, or you can let them do their thing, so long as they don't initiate aggression.

And no, this doesn't mean "putting the other cheek forward". You are allowed to prepare, and with enough intel, even to do a preventive strike. This means reserving violence as a last resort to stop violence, to defend yourself and those you care about. But reserving it as a last resort. Louis XIV put on his cannons "Ultima ratio regum" - the final argument of the kings. For when all else fails. Not as a hammer that turns everything into a nail and solves every problem, as MC is very willing to use it. Because when you start doing it that way, there is no way to know if you're right. With enough force, everything will be driven into the wall. Power corrupts.
Monarchy works differently, the ruler is responsable for the lives of those under his/her rule.. the traitors made an oath, damn well knowing the consequences. Sure Emily can still show mercy, but here's the problem... the traitors joined forces wit the cult, knowing what the cult is about, to bring the outsiders. and don't forget how one joins the cult; by draining and killing others. If you do that there's no going back. Emily tried to solve this peacefully by using her birthright, but they initiated agression and a good man died.... heads must roll

D

Deleted member 2107272

heads must roll
Don't argue. My question is, knowing how MC is kind of a powder keg, knowing how he believes that the entire society is full of spies, knowing how he now has a good club to bash Emily over the head with in an argument, where will the heads stop rolling? Will MC not turn into Robespierre?

but Erec treated emily as merchandise to trade for influence
As far as we know from second and third-hand sources. We haven't had a single hero-villain dialogue with him. It is quite possible that this line of thinking is wrong. It is possible that my line of thinking is wrong. We just don't know. But I'm more convinced by mine, since, again, no man wants to be a villain of their own story, and he didn't appear to be particularly villainous or controlling of Emily, just a major asshole that most people born into power are.

Last edited by a moderator:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Don't argue. My question is, knowing how MC is kind of a powder keg, knowing how he believes that the entire society is full of spies, knowing how he now has a good club to bash Emily over the head with in an argument, where will the heads stop rolling? Will MC not turn into Robespierre?
Somehow I have a suspicion MC will stop letting heads roll long before Emily will. He is well aware that if you stare too long in the abyss, the abyss starts staring back at you. He has a talk or two with Bella about that in Act V.

MC is not perfect and he is well aware of that, what he is less aware of yet is how horribly strong he is even if he cannot access the Mantle yet. Remember MC was almost killed by Thor, roasted by a dragon. He has no idea how strong he is and knows he severely misses experience and training. Though the remark from Booker that he does not want to know what MC sees as an Ocean of Fire while seeing his own spark as only a candle, may give you pause.

Those around him have a way better idea and confidence in MC's power as he himself has atm.

Reactions: crabsinthekitchen

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
He is a scarred man, worrying deeply for his daughter, not willing to lose her like he lost his wife
This is the dialogue from the first time you meet him
Emily said:
He saved my life last night, at great personal risk. I owe him a personal debt of honour
Erec said:
Ignore him and come along. Let us not be as tardy today as you were yesterday
If someone I worry about almost died to a Minotaur last night, being late would be pretty low on my list of concerns

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
Carolus-Rex Sin Eater
Your overly defensive filibuster posts aren't telling me anything I haven't observed from the text itself, and doesn't invalidate the observations you're knee-jerking against. I don't need to deliver a dissertation on the character dynamics to back up my impression of the protagonist's downright shittiness in situations that it wasn't warranted.

Please understand that my criticism isn't a global condemnation of the story or even of the character. But there's quite a few critical points that I found his words, attitude and behavior too objectionable to even deserve to win.

Heavy Sleeper

May 10, 2020
This is the dialogue from the first time you meet him

If someone I worry about almost died to a Minotaur last night, being late would be pretty low on my list of concerns
Yeah, we never really heard even once about Erec being nice or even caring for Emily other for the benefit of his political gain. What we did hear however, was a man gone mad due to depression and lose. But even were told numbers of times, how his wife drove him before, so he wasn't ever really that great to begin with. By the end of his life he was blinded by his own pain, that he couldn't see his daughter growing up to be a strong women. Which he drove away, leaving her alone and confused and in a desperate need for someone to care for her in a world that only saw her as a chess piece to be used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanderer

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
Concerning MC, Emily and Eric we really don't have that much information except what Emily reports to the MC. In fact Eric's attitude toward the MC and his relationship with Emily is very consistent from the time he stuck his nose in the air upon meeting the MC until their encounter with the dragon. His distain of the MC really comes out when he says "Do you think I would waste my time calling The Hunt for someone as unworthy as you" (paraphrase). Then he blames the MC for drawing the dragon to them,, not Emily mind you. I am actually surprised that he didn't already know how far the MC and Emily had gone since it appears that many people in the court (Camelot) were aware of the rumors surrounding them.

Edit: Eric's real problem with the MC was that he did not have the social status Eric was looking for. As a result he didn't take Emily and her feelings into account or Emily didn't take a firm enough stand for what she desired or both.

Last edited:

Famescua

Donor
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
Darn this is a great game. Finally finished this last update. Now I don't see how people can defend or justify Erec. He was a snob and believed he was better than anyone. Those who say he was scared to lose his daughter must have been playing a different game than me. He cared little for his daughter, using her to further his own ambitions. And when she was attacked at the beginning he didn't even care. All he cared about was that she was late. He did have a problem with the fox demon but that was an accident and assuming it hadn't happened I believe the fox still would have hated and talked down to him. Plus he tried to apologize at first. There wasn't one meeting where she didn't call him a mongrel or say he was unworthy. So yeah if she was a bitch from the beginning and kept going well then the mc is justified in being aggressive with her. Now when Emily was kidnapped he was passed and rightfully so. You can say the soldiers were just there doing their job and didn't deserve for him to be upset enough to kill them. Yet they knew she was a kidnap victim and still kept her there. They are not innocent. Also Emily killing some soldiers hecj she had every right to ki them to try to escape and defend herself. Doesn't matter if they knew the whole situation or not. They were aiding and abetting kidnappers. Now saying that the mc believes he is always right, I don't see that. He never says that he is right he gives his opinion and then when they talk to him he usually listens to others plans. He never wanted the power and was forced into the situation. He has been betrayed, blackmailed and almost killed, more than once. So him being a bit upset is understandable. Plus if you keep pushing someone long enough they will fight back and usually with force. Now Thor MC is totally justified in wanting to kill him. He attacked him and left him for dead. Not just that left him to agonize just because the MC disagreed with his point of view on things. Now people say Thor isn't that bad but I disagree he came off as the one who thinks he is always right and if you disagree you are the enemy. The nobles at Camelot betrayed their rightful queen and joined the cult. They are doing that for their own gain and not caring about anything else. Now that is treason and like Emily said that deserves death. Now thats just my take on the story. If you disagree, you have every right to.
Great job on the game.

Last edited:

Sin Eater

Apr 9, 2018
Carolus-Rex Sin Eater
Your overly defensive filibuster posts aren't telling me anything I haven't observed from the text itself, and doesn't invalidate the observations you're knee-jerking against. I don't need to deliver a dissertation on the character dynamics to back up my impression of the protagonist's downright shittiness in situations that it wasn't warranted.

Please understand that my criticism isn't a global condemnation of the story or even of the character. But there's quite a few critical points that I found his words, attitude and behavior too objectionable to even deserve to win.
I responded to one post from you because you specifically mentioned the one "ally" whose interactions with the mc don't necessarily fit how you tried to paint it. It explained why his "shitty" attitude isn't all that out of place and gave examples. He responds to hostility with hostility because of his nature. Yet he controls it. You don't have to like his attitude and I also think he could tone it down a touch, as difficult as it may be for him at the moment. Didn't give a long diatribe or dissertation about anything. Its fine if you dont agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanderer

pstear

May 21, 2020
I don't know if I have missed something , but it looks like the poker game has been re-balanced a bit since the previous public build .

Noticed that you don't seem to automatically reheal between fights in Elsewhere , you only do so if you rest and select the first option and also seems that Katie does more damage .

This makes both Dylan and Katie more useful compared to the parties some other people are running

Had a few odd fights so far , would have beaten first minotaur without Emilys help , nearly lost to tentacles trying to rescue Molly in the dungeon , was down to 1hp !

Lost to tentacles in Elsewhere when it stacked up 450 points of poison damage ! Dylan would be a lot more use if he also cleared any stacked poison .

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I did an updated public build; mostly it adds fixes to the various issues raised here, or on Discord. I also added in a couple of new events with Valery, and a new book. This sets up Act V+, the next public release.

, thanks to discord and forum regular Landrassa.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I don't know if I have missed something , but it looks like the poker game has been re-balanced a bit since the previous public build .

Noticed that you don't seem to automatically reheal between fights in Elsewhere , you only do so if you rest and select the first option and also seems that Katie does more damage .

This makes both Dylan and Katie more useful compared to the parties some other people are running

Had a few odd fights so far , would have beaten first minotaur without Emilys help , nearly lost to tentacles trying to rescue Molly in the dungeon , was down to 1hp !

Lost to tentacles in Elsewhere when it stacked up 450 points of poison damage ! Dylan would be a lot more use if he also cleared any stacked poison .
Didn't notice any change in Katie's pure damage, maybe her Fire damage changed. But yeah, in 0.4.18 I could clear most fights on Normal difficulty without anyone's help. Now, not having Dylan or Emily in a party means losing on a second or third fight if I don't rest
I also remember Emily's magic armor healing me on taking damage in 0.4.18 but it doesn't do it anymore
And was allies recharging always tied do damage? I didn't really notice before because I didn't really need to use them on Normal before

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Didn't notice any change in Katie's pure damage, maybe her Fire damage changed. But yeah, in 0.4.18 I could clear most fights on Normal difficulty without anyone's help. Now, not having Dylan or Emily in a party means losing on a second or third fight if I don't rest
I also remember Emily's magic armor healing me on taking damage in 0.4.18 but it doesn't do it anymore
And was allies recharging always tied do damage? I didn't really notice before because I didn't need really to use them on Normal before
Yeah, they've always been tied to dealing or receiving damage. It could be argued I should make that a constant, so they recharge slower, but everyone seems to enjoy them too much :)

Reactions: L30

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I did an updated public build; mostly it adds fixes to the various issues raised here, or on Discord. I also added in a couple of new events with Valery, and a new book. This sets up Act V+, the next public release.

, thanks to discord and forum regular Landrassa.

25 moves in Elsewhere without Emily or Dylan. Looks like I need to up my combat skills a bit

D

Deleted member 2107272

- Fixed missing images in Molly's email / shopping for her dress
Oh, so it wasn't my problem for running an outdated AF system? I have a similar problem with most emails - the pictures just don't show up. I assumed it was my fault.

Dylan is IMO slightly better than Emily because a) he heals, and quite a few damage types go through shields/pierce shields quicker, which means some monsters will weaken you more than they should (tentacles primarily), and b) with Regen his first turn isn't wasted anymore. If Emily healed just a little bit, he'd be absolutely pointless.

Whereas Katie is absolutely, ridiculously OP, she's the highest DPT in the game by far with her fire gem. 100 Fire damage per turn is no joke, considering that she can sustain that damage output on her own by fireballing every turn. Also, this is why I run Fire/Pure gems only - Fire stacks with Katie for more damage per second, and if you get medium-sized fire gems, the ability to apply 150ish Fire DPT before the enemy even has a chance to play guarantees that most things that aren't immune to fire, even Daemon princes, won't live to see the end of the first table.

No other damage type stacks with companions like this - Ice would have been interesting, because it's actually an option, but we have no Ice companions or buffs to Ice (despite being the Winter King), Lightning would have been too OP to stack on top of companions (although who knows how it will go story-wise...), Poison from Bella only stacks additively with Poison gems, Shield is stupid since it takes away from your damage, and you can't really rely on your own shields for protection and use companions for DPT, and Cluster for low hands and Rage for high ones is a competing loadout because your pairs will actually do damage too, but there are no reliable sources of Rage out there (except Emily's scripted Excalibur blessing that you don't get when freeroaming), and relying on the cards is stupid.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Does update 0.5.7b contain Act VI or does it still end at Act V? Please can anyone tell me?
Still ends at Act 5, some side stories and QOL added to act 5. Act 6 will be at least another month likely or more depending how big Droid makes it and what events he will have in it.

Reactions: RaduStefan

Landrassa

Sep 8, 2017
Dylan is IMO slightly better than Emily because a) he heals, and quite a few damage types go through shields/pierce shields quicker, which means some monsters will weaken you more than they should (tentacles primarily), and b) with Regen his first turn isn't wasted anymore. If Emily healed just a little bit, he'd be absolutely pointless.

Whereas Katie is absolutely, ridiculously OP, she's the highest DPT in the game by far with her fire gem. 100 Fire damage per turn is no joke, considering that she can sustain that damage output on her own by fireballing every turn. Also, this is why I run Fire/Pure gems only - Fire stacks with Katie for more damage per second, and if you get medium-sized fire gems, the ability to apply 150ish Fire DPT before the enemy even has a chance to play guarantees that most things that aren't immune to fire, even Daemon princes, won't live to see the end of the first table.

No other damage type stacks with companions like this - Ice would have been interesting, because it's actually an option, but we have no Ice companions or buffs to Ice (despite being the Winter King), Lightning would have been too OP to stack on top of companions (although who knows how it will go story-wise...), Poison from Bella only stacks additively with Poison gems, Shield is stupid since it takes away from your damage, and you can't really rely on your own shields for protection and use companions for DPT, and Cluster for low hands and Rage for high ones is a competing loadout because your pairs will actually do damage too, but there are no reliable sources of Rage out there (except Emily's scripted Excalibur blessing that you don't get when freeroaming), and relying on the cards is stupid.
Not going to argue about which builds are superior gem-wise(that's what discord is for), but there are plenty of ways to acquire Rage gems for a build:

Reactions: Droid Productions
D

Deleted member 2107272

but there are plenty of ways to acquire Rage gems for a build
All of them depend on the cards. I am right now trying out the rage-cluster strats, and well, they ARE kind of insane with the right cards, but they have a few disadvantages. What I meant is that there is no reliable companion that supplies you with rage to throw clusters into the way Katie supplies you with fire to stack on top of.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes