JMINATL

Aug 25, 2018
I suspect the Aztec Pantheon is going to get involved quickly, and violently.
That sounds right, i would guess that will be something we just 'hear about' in conversation with it ending/going poorly for them. Maybe we'll get a nice cut scene out of it :)

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
The main story is linear; there's a couple of key reasons for this (time definitely being one of them), but the big one is that there's a central story that is getting told... diluting it so I never know which one is 'canon' makes writing things properly hard. I like to put down foreshadowing, for example, but if the player has the option to avoid the event foreshadowed it'll be a much more sloppy technique.

You have a lot of side quests and events that you can chose to do, or not. Most of those have branching points, where you can chose the outcome you want from them.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I understand what you mean, but you can quite easily make more ends without having to put in a lot of effort.
I have already tried your game and I understand the system you are working with.
(Although the decision to let the main character have a lot of dialogue with himself, I find it quite unfortunate.)

As you said, in the game are certain events or decisions that can lead to a slightly different course of action, depending on the stats of the main character (although this decision is virtually irrelevant in the long run). If the engine allows you to track which events were met, you can allow the choice of another end on this basis.

I know that you have in mind some specific story, but even from one direction it is possible to make many branches.

Let's say that this is your main end:
"Kill evil king, marry princes and you will become a good and wise king."

This implies, the main thing that is crucial for you story is to be on the throne with the princess.
This means that you can make multiple variations of the same end, which +/- ends with the same result.
(Or the different ending may be completely based on stats check)

Possible example:
"Trick evil king and let him help you kill a few key members of the court. Kill evil king, take princess as your concubine (optimal: Together with her mother! ) and you will become tyrant ."

Still the same end. You have a princess and you are on the throne.

P.S.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I know that you have in mind some specific story, but even from one direction it is possible to make many branches.
Yeah, it's definitely possible to do branches; though branching the main story-line is a lot of work (both in terms of building the big moments repeatedly, and in terms of the gameworld responding to it). For the Evil King moment, you'll also notice both Molly and Chloe foreshadow that moment; all that dialog wouldn't make sense if the event was optional.

Branching side content is easier; even then a lot of people clamor for making things easier to discover.

Just a personal preference, and a result of this being a solo project where I have to be careful about bang for the buck.

As for ME4... sounds like they're taking both the end of ME3 and ME:A and tossing them in the dumpster. We'll see if ME4 is them also setting the dumpster on fire; Bioware's gone from "pre-order every game, and complete it multiple times" to "maybe on a steam-sale if I haven't heard anything bad about it a couple of months down the road".

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely possible to do branches; though branching the main story-line is a lot of work (both in terms of building the big moments repeatedly, and in terms of the gameworld responding to it). For the Evil King moment, you'll also notice both Molly and Chloe foreshadow that moment; all that dialog wouldn't make sense if the event was optional.
True, but it is possible to avoid writing different dialogues for different branches if the key places are isolated from other characters.

"You have been sent to destroy the demonic tree that draws life from the entire forest."

The "good" approach is to fight the tree and then burn it.
But you also get the opportunity to secretly take a few twigs before you burn it.
If you do, no one else will know and the story continues unchanged.
But later, this decision can lead to a mini event, where the main character creates life drain spell.
A spell that will be key when fighting the main boss, which can turn out completely differently...

As for ME4... sounds like they're taking both the end of ME3 and ME:A and tossing them in the dumpster. We'll see if ME4 is them also setting the dumpster on fire; Bioware's gone from "pre-order every game, and complete it multiple times" to "maybe on a steam-sale if I haven't heard anything bad about it a couple of months down the road".
The key years were 2000 - 2010
Baldurs Gate 2, Kotor 1 - 2, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 1
The best games came out at this time.

In 2008 came the ultimate evil called EA...
At first it seemed like a good thing.
They gave them additional funding to complete two ongoing projects, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 1.
Both games were an incredible success.

But from 2010 to the present, everything is directed by EA and ALL the games released were either bad or average.
Dragon Age 2 - Incredibly rushed failure.
Dragon Age 3 - MMO which was reworked into a single player at the last minute. Another failure.
Mass Effect 3 - Middle finger in the face to all fans of the series.
Andromeda - Hahahaha... Huge failure.
Anthem - Colossal failure.

No wonder that since 2010 the most talented developers have started leaving the studio (most of them went to obsidian) and at present virtually no one really capable has remained.

A sad story of a once great studio of which only the name remains... :(
(Sorry for the off topic.)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
f95_banner4.gif

Experimenting with a new Banner for the front page. I'll wait to see if the testers find any final issues, otherwise 1.0.7 will be the final release. It's just bug-fixes, optimizations, etc. Mostly just testers reporting stuff, or Steam users reporting stuff.

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
True, but it is possible to avoid writing different dialogues for different branches if the key places are isolated from other characters.

"You have been sent to destroy the demonic tree that draws life from the entire forest."

The "good" approach is to fight the tree and then burn it.
But you also get the opportunity to secretly take a few twigs before you burn it.
If you do, no one else will know and the story continues unchanged.
But later, this decision can lead to a mini event, where the main character creates life drain spell.
A spell that will be key when fighting the main boss, which can turn out completely differently...
One of the things I like very much about LoM is dialogues. Several sentences are funny because context of the main story, others are interesting because they foreshadow future events. You'll lose both if you branch out the main story line.

Another thing is that, for example, Dr.PC in BaDIK has created a compromise between offering many options and keeping the story in the intended axis. As a result, sometimes dialogues don't make much sense, and you'll find a lot of criticism of "bad writing" in the thread of the game (I don't agree with them).

It's a clear demonstration that when you add something, you always lose something. Therefore, it is best to let the developers create the game according to their vision. Personally, I wouldn't change anything about approach to the main storyline.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Another thing is that, for example, Dr.PC in BaDIK has created a compromise between offering many options and keeping the story in the intended axis. As a result, sometimes dialogues don't make much sense, and you'll find a lot of criticism of "bad writing" in the thread of the game (I don't agree with them).
BaDIK and CoBD are definitely two of the most well-executed games in this space. Technically I'd say CoBD is superior, though BaDIK was a big inspiration for me when I started Love of Magic.

Always happy to be mentioned in the same breath :D

DiroGoodboy

Oct 18, 2016
Ultimately, is there any difference between picking lines of dialogue with "I love you" to the ones that don't?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Ultimately, is there any difference between picking lines of dialogue with "I love you" to the ones that don't?
A lot of those are just for role-playing purposes; it's an interesting distinction, because some people really got into those, and some people ignored it. It's one of the things I most loved watching streamers for.

Usually, if something has an ingame 'boost' it'll come with a cost (so pay for dinner even though you don't need to, and at some later point later you get a boost).

Reactions: Rolo

DiroGoodboy

Oct 18, 2016
A lot of those are just for role-playing purposes; it's an interesting distinction, because some people really got into those, and some people ignored it. It's one of the things I most loved watching streamers for.

Usually, if something has an ingame 'boost' it'll come with a cost (so pay for dinner even though you don't need to, and at some later point later you get a boost).
Very interesting, these kind of stuff don't go unappreciated because I surely enjoy the option.

pstear

May 21, 2020
One of the things I like very much about LoM is dialogues. Several sentences are funny because context of the main story, others are interesting because they foreshadow future events. You'll lose both if you branch out the main story line.

It's a clear demonstration that when you add something, you always lose something. Therefore, it is best to let the developers create the game according to their vision. Personally, I wouldn't change anything about approach to the main storyline.
To many games that get nowhere after the first week or two because of the work required to progress all the possible options you can take .

I think Droid has got the balance with small side events just about perfect . The end result compared to the other games around speaks for itself .

Edvin

Jun 3, 2017
That's true, but only if you don't plan ahead enough.
Branching can also be done in a gentle way that practically does not affect the main story.

You are sent to kill the evil witch.

You were able to defeat her, but the witch begs for her life, offers you her (sexy) body and also the promise that she will leave and you will never see her again. You can accept her offer or not. It's your choice. If you spare her, you will get hot sex scenes. But as you will find out, much later, the witch broke her word and teamed up with one of the bosses you have to defeat during the main story, so the fight will be more difficult now.

This is an example of a meaningful decision with consequences that does not require any changes in the main story. ;)

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes