Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
This is an incredible write-up! I honestly could never get into poker, I saw a few YouTube videos and got turned away by the arcane terminology they use. The only card game I can understand is Hearthstone.
There's honestly not much poker in it, and there's a "Click Me to pick a good choice" button called Auto. The score of the hand (say two of a kind) then maps to a gem; better hands lets you equip stronger gems. At that point it's almost entirely an RPG combat system. And if you're playing on Easy, and don't *want* to do combat, the entire story-based combat sequence in the game is over in ~5 mins.

DrFree

Apr 23, 2019
Man, I just went through the ending, and I just loved it. Great work Droid.
However, I want to point an issue: Last time I played the game, I had finished Part IV, and kept going to check some side quests and grind a bit for the next update.

I loaded this save, and it skipped Part V right into Part VI. I ended up using a previous save, without those side quests completed and grinding done, and used the cheat to boast my stats and stuff as I had it.
However, my Dylan had a skill to apply regeneration. Did you take that skill from him, or did I miss how to get it again in my second playthrough?
I am pretty sure it involved giving him a book while we Resting in Elsewhere.

Also, a minor complaint, during combat, after using an calling for an ally to use their skill (with my keyboard) their dialogue doesn't appear. Instead, I have to Left Click lower in the screen to call the dialogue box back up, to finally press Space/Left Click to continue.

It would be cool to have something like a gallery for the scenes at some point, unless I missed some way to replay the sexy times. The gallery in MC's PC are all still images.

Regardless, I really enjoyed Book One's Journey and can't wait for the next step. I bet MC will be breaking SO MANY international laws.

Adry Lemon

Jul 17, 2020
However, my Dylan had a skill to apply regeneration. Did you take that skill from him, or did I miss how to get it again in my second playthrough?
It involves talking to Dylan at a campfire when Emily is in your party, she teaches the spell to him

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Man, I just went through the ending, and I just loved it. Great work Droid.
However, I want to point an issue: Last time I played the game, I had finished Part IV, and kept going to check some side quests and grind a bit for the next update.

I loaded this save, and it skipped Part V right into Part VI. I ended up using a previous save, without those side quests completed and grinding done, and used the cheat to boast my stats and stuff as I had it.
Weird; it should rewind you automatically. Having said that, I haven't checked loading from IV into VI; it might not rewind correctly. You can fix it through the debug menu by Forcing start of day, but it sounds like you're past it already.
Act VI added a bunch of final events in Elsewhere resting, which are playable across book 1:

Also, a minor complaint, during combat, after using an calling for an ally to use their skill (with my keyboard) their dialogue doesn't appear. Instead, I have to Left Click lower in the screen to call the dialogue box back up, to finally press Space/Left Click to continue.
Ah, it's a bug. It's fixed in book 2, but I should probably look at fixing it in book 1 as well.

It would be cool to have something like a gallery for the scenes at some point, unless I missed some way to replay the sexy times. The gallery in MC's PC are all still images.
I thought of doing it, even added a function to make an auto-save for it, but I never got around to implementing the viewer and filling it up with data.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

Watching Laura streaming Love of Magic was a real treat... it's been a year since she did it last, and the game's changed a bit since. She's returning to the world of LoM this Friday, live on Discord ( ). Which just happens to be the planned release day for Act VII. It's content complete today, now I just need to stamp out the bugs :)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

So... to embed a video on Twitter it has to be less than 2:20 mins in duration. Did you know that? I didn't.

The initial video was 3:20, so... I needed to shave about 30% of the clip off. Interestingly enough, I think the final edit is tighter and better. I haven't done much editing down for the various clips I made for Love of Magic; a lot of it is set to music (Call of the Chosen, Act VII's ending videos), and as such it's hard to cut stuff down.

Anyway, fun experiment. We're now locked and loaded...now I just need to squash the bugs, finish the polish and get book 2 out there :)

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I've completed book 1.
My congratulations on an impressive and enjoyable game. Perhaps the finest technically I've encountered here.
I've become convinced that the full enjoyment of the game is only possible if the player becomes proficient with the poker based combat system. I've started loading around day 113 and repeatedly going to elsewhere with different team members to experiment. Specifically those who can "restructure" the card layout or substitute card(s) in my hand or on the board.

I do have a few questions. Does the auto mode pick the "best" play? Does it take the opponent's cards into consideration? does it attempt to play to setup future opportunities?

On a separate note. It would be useful to know the un-jeweled damage for each hand. Is that information already available in the game? If not would you consider providing it?

Thanks! Really looking forward to the next release.

Reactions: Droid Productions

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I've completed book 1.
My congratulations on an impressive and enjoyable game. Perhaps the finest technically I've encountered here.
I've become convinced that the full enjoyment of the game is only possible if the player becomes proficient with the poker based combat system. I've started loading around day 113 and repeatedly going to elsewhere with different team members to experiment. Specifically those who can "restructure" the card layout or substitute card(s) in my hand or on the board.

I do have a few questions. Does the auto mode pick the "best" play? Does it take the opponent's cards into consideration? does it attempt to play to setup future opportunities?

On a separate note. It would be useful to know the un-jeweled damage for each hand. Is that information already available in the game? If not would you consider providing it?

Thanks! Really looking forward to the next release.
Looks like you've reached Stage III of playing with Akane

As for Akane, I think for people who spend a lot of times playing the Poker game, there are 3 stages of Akane:
Stage I: I don't see the point.
Stage II: I see the point, but she's hard to use
Stage III: Omg, how did I manage to play without Akane?
Auto usually triggers the highest combination. I don't think it considers enemy cards or type of gems you have. With Lightning you sometimes don't even care about the enemy cards. About future opportunities, I think it only does it when the board is almost full and you can trigger several hands, and even then I'm not sure

Each hand only does the damage of the gem that's slotted for that hand. So if you have the same gem in multiple slots those combinations should deal the same damage. If you have no gems equipped it's Damage 1 (25+STR bonus) for 3 of a kind and lower and Damage 2 (40+STR bonus) for Straight and higher. That's why junk is useless and should be dumped ASAP

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Looks like you've reached Stage III of playing with Akane

Auto usually triggers the highest combination. I don't think it considers enemy cards or type of gems you have. With Lightning you sometimes don't even care about the enemy cards. About future opportunities, I think it only does it when the board is almost full and you can trigger several hands, and even then I'm not sure

Each hand only does the damage of the gem that's slotted for that hand. So if you have the same gem in multiple slots those combinations should deal the same damage. If you have no gems equipped it's Damage 1 (25+STR bonus) for 3 of a kind and lower and Damage 2 (40+STR bonus) for Straight and higher. That's why junk is useless and should be dumped ASAP
Thanks very much!

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I thought I've seen it suggest one pair and outside straight once instead of just two pairs but maybe I just didn't sleep enough that day

JMINATL

Aug 25, 2018
Auto-play

The Auto play function does not consider side plays, history, health, healing, gems, companions, monster gems, monster plays or any other strategy considerations when selecting a play. Auto selects the first highest 'poker' hand which matches through the center, in order by Horizontal, Vertical, then Diagonal. Because of this, even a relatively inexperienced player can often match or outperform Auto at combat.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Auto-play

The Auto play function does not consider side plays, history, health, healing, gems, companions, monster gems, monster plays or any other strategy considerations when selecting a play. Auto selects the first highest 'poker' hand which matches through the center, in order by Horizontal, Vertical, then Diagonal. Because of this, even a relatively inexperienced player can often match or outperform Auto at combat.

Thanks!

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
There's honestly not much poker in it, and there's a "Click Me to pick a good choice" button called Auto. The score of the hand (say two of a kind) then maps to a gem; better hands lets you equip stronger gems. At that point it's almost entirely an RPG combat system. And if you're playing on Easy, and don't *want* to do combat, the entire story-based combat sequence in the game is over in ~5 mins.
So as I continue to experiment with the combat system I'm back with another unsolicited suggestion on how to spend your limited resources. As I mentioned earlier I've been repeating the same day to go to elsewhere and try to understand the use of companions who can change the cards. While this approach more or less works it's very cumbersome. My suggestion is that you create a "practice area" which has no impact on stats and gives no loot but allows for the same setup to be replayed over and over. The goal is that once a combat is selected it can be repeated with different gem choices and different utilizations of the ladies skills.

As you've mentioned earlier resources are precious and I fully support your choices. I do think a mechanism that provides something like I've described would be extremely helpful in learning the combat system. Which I fully believe will enhance the enjoyment of playing the game.

Reactions: V-red
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes