khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Is it supposed to be possible to make enough money to actually buy a decent selection of gems? I just finished my first playthrough and was barely able to make enough money to buy all of the books without buying any gems.

Also the treasure chests from expeditions to elsewhere... Is there a trick to those? I did find a black rose in one of them but I would say more than 90% of the time if I find a treasure chest I get nothing from it. I didn't figure out how to use it so I will have to look around some more for that I guess next time I play.

I occasionally found treasure from killing a monster (and at a MUCH higher rate than I got from the actual treasure chests), but not enough to ever sell more than 1 of them at a time to Chloe (I know for sure I found less than 10 total over the entire playthrough). I never got to where I could kill the level 9 minotaurs. Level 6 monsters were the highest I could manage.

In any case I had a lot of fun with this and will definitely be playing around with it more. Great game.

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
How are you supposed to trade things with Chloe? I found one of the 'rare ingredients' from a monster, but I don't have an option to give it to her. When I enter a conversation with her, I can either work or ask her about my father. There isn't anything else.

On a side note, I love this game so far. The story is interesting and I love the urban fantasy feel to it. The combat is a little confusing because I'm not sure that the hints give you the best directions, but that may be on purpose so you have to figure out the best moves for yourself. I do think the gem damage is a bit too low at the beginning especially considering you can only equip very low quality gems for certain hands and they don't really seem to do worthwhile damage ( I'm mainly talking about against monsters at level 6 or so). The lightning gems are especially useless. You are almost better off just leaving the junk gems equipped.

The characters are definitely the best part of the game imho, which is probably how it should be.

As far as the grinding goes, it is a bit unbalanced depending on which stat you are trying to raise. Str is obviously the easiest because you can work out, but it seems like the only way to raise Int and Chr is either getting free points in certain conversations, combat, or reading books and the books get expensive when you don't earn gold very fast. Maybe give more gold for working? I'd rather not get gold from combat because gems are expensive to buy and I'd rather have them drop for free.

Anyway, good game so far. Looking forward to the next update.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
How are you supposed to trade things with Chloe? I found one of the 'rare ingredients' from a monster, but I don't have an option to give it to her. When I enter a conversation with her, I can either work or ask her about my father. There isn't anything else.
Special ingredients won't get used until the next update (Act III.5). We're currently going through final testing for Act III, then once I finish that I'll start work on 3.5, which I'm calling the "Crowley Upgrade Project". That's where the Special Ingredients get used. Right now you can only sell her normal Ingredients. You can either sell those 1 at a time, or:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As far as the grinding goes, it is a bit unbalanced depending on which stat you are trying to raise. Str is obviously the easiest because you can work out, but it seems like the only way to raise Int and Chr is either getting free points in certain conversations, combat, or reading books and the books get expensive when you don't earn gold very fast. Maybe give more gold for working? I'd rather not get gold from combat because gems are expensive to buy and I'd rather have them drop for free.
The books are the easiest way to raise stats. If you don't have a book, CHR can be raised by chatting to people in the coffeeshop, and INT can be trained at the private Library once that opens up.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
The books are the easiest way to raise stats. If you don't have a book, CHR can be raised by chatting to people in the coffeeshop, and INT can be trained at the private Library once that opens up.
Just a suggestion about the private library, it might be nice to have some sort of a hint about it like you get with the path that leads to Bella. My first playthrough I finished the entire game without ever even knowing there was a private library. I didn't know it was a thing until I looked at the walkthrough (which I usually try to avoid unless I get stuck).

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Just a suggestion about the private library, it might be nice to have some sort of a hint about it like you get with the path that leads to Bella. My first playthrough I finished the entire game without ever even knowing there was a private library. I didn't know it was a thing until I looked at the walkthrough (which I usually try to avoid unless I get stuck).
Yeah, I should. There's a couple of places where I need to signal better.

Reactions: DA22 and L30

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
Uh, I am loving the relationships in this game. The direction the Molly relationship is going is especially nice. Hopefully we get to play with the Ceremonial instructor at some point.

This game is hot af, seriously.

zipunzz

Apr 27, 2019
How do I get Dianne to sell me paper? I already found the black rose, but I only get options to buy books

jdw6

Nov 30, 2019
see the screen shots, and wonder wtf :)
Only WTF for me was the text in the 1st screenshot "and crowl out"? Gut was: renders look good, unity sucks from everything I've read on here (site, not this thread), but can't even spell-check the text on the promo shots? That was kinda a killer there. I poked around in the thread hoping to see someone else point that out, or that there were huge fixes in spelling. Maybe there was, and due to the nature of this site the dev decided to not update the image after fixing the spelling in it. (Assumption is that the dev is not a native English speaker, I am, but I also went to a dictionary site twice in typing this comment.)

Anyway. Best of luck.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Only WTF for me was the text in the 1st screenshot "and crowl out"? Gut was: renders look good, unity sucks from everything I've read on here (site, not this thread), but can't even spell-check the text on the promo shots?
That's actually a pun. The pub is called the Crowley (it was once the townhouse of ), so the bartender made the slogan "Walk in, Crowl out". The pub is a bit of a dive at the beginning of the game, I figured making a terrible pun as the slogan fit :)

Last edited:

Brother Lui

Jan 15, 2019
I thought it was a decent joke personally.
I also found it very nice joke plus names aren't following any grammar rule neither "made up" words from the names because what would any say to me for my book which has a planet name Verignorixadalin and the habitants there are called Verdi :oops::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
katie_fire.gif katie_fire_fan.gif

And 0.3.6 makes us Content Complete. Uploading to now, will make its way to the main download page once it's tested, and bugs have been stepped on.

As always I tend to make little experiments as I go. This time it was a fan icon made in After Effects. I had a good time making it, though it did terrible things to my PC :D

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, I got caught up in the moment. I also had some serious levels signature envy for Milkey Touch's amazing looking game. The sigs looked like something someone competent should be able to create in Adobe AfterEffects. Sadly I stumbled at the 'competent' part ;)

To celebrate Release Candidate 1 for Act III I opened a bottle of Sake and sat down to chill and play with AE; I'm not particularly good (I'd never seen the software until last November) but I enjoy trying to learn. Here are some Sigs I cooked up. Sadly none of them have the sublime beauty that Milkey Touch brought to their. But each failure is a little better :)

1582725314417.png
Anyway, as I experimented (and my poor water cooled CPU got to temperatures that could boil an egg), here's some tests.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I really like what I've seen so far. I do have a few critiques though.

I imagine this is probably already planned for future updates but it seems like the combat is overly difficult unless you're cheating pretty heavily. I used the debug menu to cheat myself all of the gem rewards from Chloe in addition to giving myself 80+ in strength, intelligence, and charisma and I can beat the level 9 minotaurs now but even with all that, it's still a tough fight and if I fight 2 of them the 2nd one will beat me.

It would also be nice to have some way to influence the randomness involved in which encounter you get. Sometimes all I get is level 9 minotaurs. Other times all I get is treasure chests, etc. For a game with a time limit, that level of randomness makes things pretty tough unless there is a way to go back in time. My first playthrough I wound up getting a total of less than 3 ingredients start to finish (this was without cheating) despite going on an expedition most of the days that it was possible to do so.

My suggestion would be to have the player come to a divergence in the path or something like the first time you went in with Katie and Dylan and one path leads to the "hard" area, another leads to the "easy" area, etc. In fact 3 areas might make sense so you could have the level 3-4 monsters in the easy section, the level 9 minotaurs in the hard one, and the rest in the medium section. Then you could have a little more control over what you're hunting and wind up fighting the things you actually want to fight without just outright picking them.

Another option that might be nice would be the ability to have your actions carry over to the next expedition if you don't use them all. That way if you have a bunch of easy fights you could burn through all of your actions but if you just have 1 hard fight and have to leave you can do some extra exploring next time.

Also regarding Bella, it seems like it's not very clear how to meet up with her after your first encounter. I did get the threesome with her and was able to fight with her in my last playthrough but I think I missed it in this one and I'm not really sure how (I was looking for her every day).

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I really like what I've seen so far. I do have a few critiques though.

I imagine this is probably already planned for future updates but it seems like the combat is overly difficult unless you're cheating pretty heavily. I used the debug menu to cheat myself all of the gem rewards from Chloe in addition to giving myself 80+ in strength, intelligence, and charisma and I can beat the level 9 minotaurs now but even with all that, it's still a tough fight and if I fight 2 of them the 2nd one will beat me.

It would also be nice to have some way to influence the randomness involved in which encounter you get. Sometimes all I get is level 9 minotaurs. Other times all I get is treasure chests, etc. For a game with a time limit, that level of randomness makes things pretty tough unless there is a way to go back in time. My first playthrough I wound up getting a total of less than 3 ingredients start to finish (this was without cheating) despite going on an expedition most of the days that it was possible to do so.
Well, at some level a Minotaur Lord is supposed to be a hard fight, in the beginning. It's doable without cheating, though most of the early strategies involve using Katie's big firegem + shields, and letting him burn to death. The reason you've got 3 cards open at any time is so you can pick your encounter paths, but I guess sometime RNG can be a pain. I'm looking at adding the option to either redraw a card as an action, or possibly do a 'discard' instead. Obviously the elsewhere exploration is an abstraction, but I like keeping the poker theme running.

Balance wise, there's a lot more ingredients now, and Minotaur Lords (and other 8s/9s) should be less likely to spawn.

Another option that might be nice would be the ability to have your actions carry over to the next expedition if you don't use them all. That way if you have a bunch of easy fights you could burn through all of your actions but if you just have 1 hard fight and have to leave you can do some extra exploring next time.
The plan there is to let you upgrade the number of moves by getting stronger. Act III has the first 'quantum jump' in power, I'm thinking of raising the move count to 15 (from 10) as a result of that.

Also regarding Bella, it seems like it's not very clear how to meet up with her after your first encounter. I did get the threesome with her and was able to fight with her in my last playthrough but I think I missed it in this one and I'm not really sure how (I was looking for her every day).
Yeah. I added a nudge to send you to the grassmarket at night to get the introduction, but the short answer is I should have more things to *do* there, so you are naturally inclined to head over there. Similarly, I should have a nudge to get you to the gym, and a nudge to get you to explore the library more. I might add that as possible night-time sequences, that happen when you return to your bedroom at night, and nothing more interesting is happening.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
One common request is for a photoalbum. For the latest Beta, I added one. It won't remember ones already opened (it just wasn't tracking it, so there's no clean way of knowing which ones you've previously seen), but it's now in and working for future playthroughs. Accessible both from in-game and from settings menu for both animations and fullscreen images.

1582801824152.png 1582801843142.png

1582801883413.png
1582801902841.png

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
Droid, how did you manage to have 3 parts in your signature? May be its is possible, because the middle one is smaller ?

4.60 star(s) 251 Votes